(Topic ID: 36299)

What is the total cost of parts for a new table?

By CA_Pin_fan

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by prock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Hey Gang,
    I was hoping some of the more experienced members of pinside could help me here. I'm trying to get a ball park figure on how much a pinball table costs in just parts alone (for a personal project). This would be excluding costs for time/labor developing & engineering of toys and design/layout. And I'm mostly looking at cost of a modern DMD or LCD backglass style of table. So I guess what I'm asking, is how much does a Stern or even WOZ cost in just raw parts, unassembled? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    And no, I'm not trolling, or criticizing, or opening up debate about value here- just the facts... Thanks guys!

#2 11 years ago

I've guestimated around 2000 bucks, but it really depends on your bulk order ability, YMMV.

-Wes

#3 11 years ago

Probably would cost YOU as much as a new pin since you will likely be paying retail and buying only one or a few of everything, plus all that shipping.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Probably would cost YOU as much as a new pin since you will likely be paying retail and buying only one or a few of everything, plus all that shipping.

and tools, trial and errors.

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from beatmaster:

and tools, trial and errors.

I'm just looking at cost of finished parts, the other $$$ expenses are well understood. And let's just for the sake of the question, assume i'm ordering in bulk - between 1,000-1,500 of everything.

I'd really love to hear the most accurate ballpark estimates...

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from CA_Pin_fan:

I'd really love to hear the most accurate ballpark estimates..

I'm not sure there's enough information for a good estimate on that scale. For example, 1500 pop bumper assemblies would be a considerable different number, assuming your hypothetical table only had one, than 4500 assemblies for the same table if it had 3. Factor in additional costs of multi-level pfs (with associated metal work) as well as other unique features (special function toys), and its really not a simple question of how much to build 1500 ambiguous pinball machines.

Perhaps if you provided an example table (with commentary on any differences), figures for the 1K -1.5K volume could be better estimated.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

Perhaps if you provided an example table (with commentary on any differences), figures for the 1K -1.5K volume could be better estimated.

Good point. For examples, I guess The Avengers Pro and The Wizard of Oz standard model are the closest to what I'm thinking. What do you figure the total cost of parts for each of these machines are?

Again, I really appreciate any input here... Thanks guys.

#8 11 years ago

I've heard that OZ is barely making any profit (if any after R&D), just to give you a ballpark figure. Stern is probably making between $1,000-$1500 profit a game (depending on model) if you figure about 1200 sold of all 3 in the run, and then 3 pinballs released a year. That's about 4.5 million/year, which should just barely cover staff and facility cost, and any loans they are still trying to pay off.

The predator boys up in michigan are selling for $5k, so it can't be much higher than $4k.

Probably a good way to estimate is this:
    $715 (PRoc combo system)
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/starter-kits

$350 (full make-your-own-cabinet)
    http://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=fd4a23efd97a1468e03b563271f6631b

$80 (backglass, translite, lift trim)

$500 (playfield, routed, inserts, playfield printed or overlayed)

$100 coindoor

$50 legs

$50 side rails

$25 playfield glass

$100 (vinyl cabinet artwork)

Now start adding up all your components from Macro for playfield components (posts, flipper assemblies, pop bumpers, VUK, plunger, bulbs holders, targets, switches, buttons). You'll have to estimate costs for wireform or vacuum formed ramps, etc.

Figure at bare minimum, you're looking to spend at LEAST $3000 in parts, and that's not including tools, labor, R&D

#9 11 years ago

I'm thinking it will cost a bit more than buying a completed, production game.

#10 11 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    And again, just to clarify, I'm not asking if you think producing a pinball machine is profitable. I understand that there are many other costs buried in the production, design, and overhead of the company. And I'm already well aware of the total cost of using off the shelf parts. I'm just trying to get an idea what the actual cost of an Avengers or a Woz (if producted in a run of 1000-1500) is in just parts alone.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from CA_Pin_fan:

I'm just trying to get an idea what the actual cost of an Avengers or a Woz (if producted in a run of 1000-1500) is in just parts alone.

Only STERN or JJP would know that answer. People could postulate all the want about it on here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-total-cost-of-parts-for-a-new-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.