• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15576764259911282533478 (resized).jpg
15576752571272127007996 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey I picked up this Fireball 2 and have been looking it over.

Saw this down on the rectifier board wasn't sure what it was. Could somebody please educate me, looks like some sort of hack to me. Thanks

15576752571272127007996 (resized).jpg15576752571272127007996 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

That doesn't look factory. I recently had a Fireball II and it didn't have one of those or traces of one. It looks like a heavy duty diode.
Where is it wired from/to? Probably BR1 as a guess.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Hey I picked up this Fireball 2 and have been looking it over.
Saw this down on the rectifier board wasn't sure what it was. Could somebody please educate me, looks like some sort of hack to me. Thanks
[quoted image]

It's a bridge rectifier with two tabs cut off, it's not factory, and is defiantly a hack.

#4 4 years ago

It is spliced into the J1 connector light blue gray wire.

Then there's this other thing I've never seen on a rectifier board either maybe you can explain that

15576764259911282533478 (resized).jpg15576764259911282533478 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

It's a bridge rectifier with two tabs cut off, it's not factory, and is defiantly a hack.

Any thoughts why somebody would put that in there

#6 4 years ago

I just checked all the voltages on the rectifier board and everything checks out good so not quite sure why they would add that

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

It is spliced into the J1 connector light blue gray wire.
Then there's this other thing I've never seen on a rectifier board either maybe you can explain that
[quoted image]

That's an SCR used to flash the G.I.Lamps. It's factory.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

None. it appears to be being used as a diode
It also looks like it's inline with the ground line.

#9 4 years ago

The second pic might be a scr. Some Bally machines used them to control certain G.I. lighting. I heard that the originals are no longer available, that might be the replacement.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

If it's on the blue wire of J1 of the rectifier board, someone might have put the bridge diode there in series to slightly reduce the feature lamp voltage. There was discussion of this some months back about some operators doing it to extend lamp life or something, I can't remember the exact reason.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

That's an SCR used to flash the G.I.Lamps. It's factory.

Sorry, my bad. It is a MAC-38-2 triac but it's still used to drive the G.I. Lamps.
http://www.digitroncorp.com/Products/Product-Line/Triacs/MAC38-2

#12 4 years ago

Well I cut the wire at the black square thing and solder the blue wires back together. There was no change on any thing that I could see. Everything still lights up just like it did before.

The only thing that is an issue is, the lights that just under all the plastics tend to go on and off during game play. Not sure what is up with that. I am guessing a ground problem somewhere. All other light like the ones under the insert work fine while playing. Kind of strange

This was happening before I did anything, just so ya know.

#13 4 years ago

Totally factory, both of them. Scene this many times, and probably got a game or two like this I'm guessing.

John

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

The only thing that is an issue is, the lights that just under all the plastics tend to go on and off during game play.

The Triac is an electronic switch and is wired to the GI circuit so the game can switch the playfiled GI on and off.
See if your GI flashing is similar to what you will see in some Fireball II youtube videos. i.e.:

I haven't noticed any with the GI flashing during game mode (it may require a certain event to occur) but the GI does flash a lot in attract mode.

#15 4 years ago

So it is supposed to flash like that. That's crazy never knew that. I did notice that it did not do it during game play. I'll have to watch more closely to see if this is the case.

Thanks for the info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lemont, IL
£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Freeland, MD
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-thing-and-what-does-it-do?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.