(Topic ID: 130981)

What is the shallowest game that you simply cannot stop playing?

By chuckwurt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Blackbeard
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Out of the games I own the two simpliest games are Elektra and pinbot.
I would say Pinbot wins for less rules. Elektra actually is pretty complicated rule wise.
I love them both though.

The shallowest modern/recent DMD game that keeps you wanting to keep playing Iron Man.

But my absolute favourite "shallow" game
Is cyclone. I absolutely love playing that game.

I am still looking for one to add to my collection.

#52 8 years ago

Of the ones I owned, Getaway is a good one. I wish I never sold mine as it was in great shape. At the time I only had space for 3 pins though so it had to go.

Firepower and FG are top of my wishlist for that era. Pinbot is tops from the A# in this regard too. Simple one flipper game I just freaking love.

Corvette used to have this aspect for me until I beat the wizard mode then I never really wanted to play it again. Some would say it isn't really shallow but I disagree. Shoot right ramp a few times to collect a couple cars and start what passes as modes, shoot the left ramp to start MB and collect three cars, then keep shooting the pit stop to collect the remaining four cars to get to the wizard mode, shoot all shots and viola! Done. Though the brutal outlanes make this harder than it sounds.

#53 8 years ago

Not one that I own but have weekly access to is Blackout, love that game

#54 8 years ago

Alien Poker gets my vote.

#55 8 years ago

Another Firepower vote. I keep going back for one more game. Especially when I DON'T get multiball.

#56 8 years ago

Terminator 2. Super shallow game, there's nothing to it really, but I can't keep my hands off it.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Out of the games I own the two simpliest games are Elektra and pinbot.
I would say Pinbot wins for less rules. Elektra actually is pretty complicated rule wise.
I love them both though.
The shallowest modern/recent DMD game that keeps you wanting to keep playing Iron Man.
But my absolute favourite "shallow" game
Is cyclone. I absolutely love playing that game.
I am still looking for one to add to my collection.

Yeah I wouldn't say Elektra is shallow at all. It has a really complicated rule set.

#58 8 years ago

I'd say creech for my dmd game, taxi and whirlwind for sys11.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I noticed a couple DMD games mentioned. What are the shallowest DMD games that you love to play over and over? T2 is the first that comes to mind for me. You can go for CPU or MBs, and that is it. However, I can play that game all day long.

DMD...IM easily. I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned yet.

#60 8 years ago

Of all my games and pinball machines, Genesis is the one friends and family always talk about after they've visited and come back to play more. It's such a quirky game and super simple, but can be brutally difficult to score well. I love it. I also have FirePower 2 which always keeps me hooked. Even without the voice of the original, I love the sounds and especially the bells/alarm when you hit the big orbit.

#61 8 years ago

Harlem Globe Trotters and Six Million Dollar Man .

#62 8 years ago

Asteroid Annie and Xenon for me. Simple games but I can't have just one game on either of these.

#63 8 years ago

EM:
60's
Most EM games pre-1970 are pretty simple as far as their rulesets are concerned. There are some exceptions, but complex EM games that are pre-70's that I love to play...
Williams Lucky Strike. Great shots and a lower PF layout that was seen again in Space Odyssey/Mission.
Gottlieb Cross Town. A true player that has that magic balance of skill and luck.

70's Flip-Flop. Four flags/rollovers. Reset from the mushrooms... and repeat!
A close second is Grand Prix. Those spinners never get boring.
Both games are absolutely addicting.

SS:
Stern Stars in a very simple game that never stops challenging you.
Bally Harlem Globetrotters is another deck that just doesn't get old. Drops and spinners. Rip it up!

DMD:
This is another level of "simplicity" and even the most simple games are miles above the previous vintages of technology.
T2 one of the earliest and best playing DMD games ever made. There are so many copy cats of this layout is a testament to the brilliance of Steve Ritchie's design.
I think Avatar and IM (Pimp77 is spot on) are two of the more recent games that really get the balance of play and challenge and don't really need a deeper ruleset.

All these games are players and with the exception of Stars and Lucky Strike, are pretty easy to find.

#64 8 years ago

Firepower here also, I've never played a machine as addicting as Firepower is.

#65 8 years ago

Mata Hari. Simple but addictive.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

DMD...IM easily. I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Pretty sure I saw it before. But yes, IM is a perfect example.

#67 8 years ago

Gilligan's Island hands down! Just one more...

#69 8 years ago

F14 TOMCAT -
Spell TOMCAT, lock ball, hit the loop, kill Yagov, and enjoy the light show.

#70 8 years ago

Both are simple easy to learn rules, but both are Fast & challenging pins! Alright, just one more game you SOAB, I'll play better this time!

#71 8 years ago

Lots of good games already mentioned here. Out of my collection, DW and TMNT always keep me wanting more.

#72 8 years ago

Seawitch! Super simple but so fun to shoot the X target bank.

#73 8 years ago

Aztec.
Don C.

#74 8 years ago

Just the tip

#75 8 years ago

Right now, it's been Sinbad for months. Get the drop targets down in order, repeat.

My previous crack games were Flip A Card, Card Whiz, and Sing-Along. All deceptively simple as most good EMs are.

#76 8 years ago

Firepower for me as well always got to go back for more.

#78 8 years ago

Super soccer. It's an EM but damn if that game isn't fun.

#79 8 years ago

Out of all my early SS machines Buck Rodgers and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are the ones I can't walk away from sometimes. I can spend a whole evening playing them and swear they are just as much fun as any newer or A list game. I'm not a big Gottlieb fan either. You can usually pick them up for about $500 to $700 compared to $5000 to $7000. As far as EM's go I really liked my Grand Prix.
I think everyone should have one EM and older SS in there collection.

#80 8 years ago

In my lineup Gilligan's Island is it. If I just have a few minutes, I'll grab a quick game on it because it's quick, easy and you can almost always complete the secret formula and have a decent run at Kona's treasure. For some reason, it never gets old. Had it since 2003.

#81 8 years ago

Harlem f-in Globetrotters. So brutal. So rewarding. I have black flipper rubber on mine to make it a real bitch. Dead bounce, not so much.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Mata Hari. Simple but addictive.

Was the first SS I ever played and can be a drain monster and yet I still play it whenever I have access to one.

#83 8 years ago

Space Station for me. Killer game!

#85 8 years ago

BSD IS SHALLOW? I MUST BE REALLY SHALLOW THEN.

SINCERELY,
HAL

#86 8 years ago

I like Fast Draw/Quick Draw for an EM. Darn, only one drop target away again! I swear I'll get them all next time.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What is the shallowest game that you simply cannot stop playing?

I'll have to measure, but I'm pretty sure the cabinets are the same depth on all my games

#88 8 years ago

I don't know how many times I've heard that jackpot bell go off, but something about Taxi just keeps me coming back for more.

SO, my vote is for Yo! Taxi!

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I don't know how many times I've heard that jackpot bell go off, but something about Taxi just keeps me coming back for more.
SO, my vote is for Yo! Taxi!

does that heap actually still work? I figured that wrigleys repair I did would only last 2 or 3 days...

#90 8 years ago

Bally Kiss. Yes, the original. The rules are about as shallow as I can imagine, but man...

#91 8 years ago

I have a checkpoint (BH still is down) and I actually really enjoy that car sounds, the excitement and hitting that ramp.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

does that heap actually still work? I figured that wrigleys repair I did would only last 2 or 3 days...

Haha..

Never leaving the collection again. Until I sell it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 29.00
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-shallowest-game-that-you-simply-cannot-stop-playing/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.