(Topic ID: 315544)

What is the sanding process for leveling inserts on whitewood?

By Palmer

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2003 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2002 (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

I installed inserts into my whitewood. I know I have to take the top edge off of all of them and was curious what the sanding process is like. I figured it is a graduated process but what grit do I start with? Is a belt sander too much? If so should I be using a palm sander?

#2 1 year ago

Sanding after installed is a bit challenging. The 'go to' thread for getting your inserts flat before they are installed is here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration#post-551279

Might read the whole thread, it's great!

1 week later
    #3 1 year ago

Drum/barrel sander is your friend here. Otherwise lots and lots of hand sanding with some electric sander.

9 months later
    #4 1 year ago

Hello !
    I know it's an old subject, but i'm right to this part and.... I'm still confused.

I installed all the inserts and i start sanding... by hand !
    I don't know if the metric system is irrelevant here, but i started with 500 paper.
    Working about an hour, I was able to remove all imperfection and almost all the little letters on the tiny inserts.

I can still clearly feel the "cambered part" of each insert.
    So... Is there here some people that tried to sand by hand their homebrew playfield ?
    How long did it take to achieve it ?

I just want to know if it's possible or if i need to have another approach.
    Thank's !

#5 1 year ago

I'm answering myself, probably it can help someone with the same question.

So it's possible to sand "by hand".
    I started again with some 180 grain sanding paper, and i bought a little sanding block with "clips" to maintain the paper.
    It took me 2 hours to have a good result.
    So if you have some time and you want to do some sport, it will be ok without any tool !

The work is not finish, I think I need to work an hour more with what i have left in 180, and I want to "finish" with a 240 grain, before clearcoating.
    The 120 grain was very scary, I tested it on a plank and it look like the wood was "destroy" by the process. It's why I started with 180.

IMG_2002 (resized).JPGIMG_2002 (resized).JPG

IMG_2003 (resized).JPGIMG_2003 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-sanding-process-for-leveling-inserts-on-whitewood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.