New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 277134)

What is the Purpose of Memory Protect Switch?

By clodpole

85 days ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 84 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

When the coin door is opened, inserting coins does not increment the electronic bookkeeping coin meters for each coin chute. This way, when a service tech or coin collector for the route operator clears a coin jam, they test the coin chutes running several coins through to make sure credits are placed onto the credit counter of the game.

I had never heard this before, so I just tried it on a Laser Ball - it still increments the counters. There is something in the schematics concerning addresses with components of $80 affecting the read/write line, to block changing adjustments (adjustments all start at $180 on williams system 6 machines) so it's more so you can't change the adjustments without having the door open.

Quoted from MrBally:

Some route operators paid their commission split via what the meters indicate.

I'm surprised that they didn't just count all the physical coins in, and pay the split based on that. I wouldn't trust coin meters as either the operator or the location.

#13 84 days ago
Quoted from MrBally:

As far as your Laser Ball experiment, maybe my memory is failing and I'm full of shit, who knows?

It would have been pretty clever for them to have implemented it the way you remember - everything I'd ever read about what the memory protect was for was to prevent unauthorized adjustments. No doubt your training was do it this way because ______. It's just that the ______ in some cases ends up being completely inaccurate, not your fault. All kinds of rumors about the "way things work" occur at my job daily, and it doesn't matter how many times you tell people (both the end users and the other technicians) that the correct way is this, not some rumor started by someone that might have tried this the one time and it worked, so all problems are solved that way.

Recently when I was looking at code for stern hot hand and realized that it would be possible (however, very unlikely) that if you interrupt the self test at the correct time, you can get yourself lots of free credits. Sparked my interest after reading an old service bulletin from them. I doubt anyone in practice could do a power off consistently to get anything though, but just imagine how that rumor would have spread among quarter-starved kids in the late 70s. You'd have them running up and down the rows of machines flipping the power switches on an off randomly trying to get credits.

Quoted from MrBally:

Most ops counted coins in front of a location representative.

That what I remember from being an arcade rat at the time as well. Also the 'test quarters' marked with red marker that would be filtered out.

Kudos to you for actually testing your work as well. I deal with lots of people that leave coin mechs disconnected and then a duplicate/escalated service call gets put in because 'the guy was here, and it's still not fixed.....' - except that they DID fix it, but because they refuse to drop a penny in the coin mech to test it, they don't realize they forgot to reconnect the power.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
Machine - For Sale
New Kensington, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, SC
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 75.00
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Toppers
COINTAKER.COM
$ 18.95

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slochar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside