(Topic ID: 132788)

What is "The Professional" pinball conversion ?

By seeburg220

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinmeds
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Screenshot_2015-07-10-17-16-29.png
TheProf.jpg
image-2.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I have come across this overlay conversion called "The Professional". IPDB shows they made 5 different versions of it. It was an overlay, along with a different backl glass, etc. Personally, I think you ruined a good game using this, as it looks horrible.

My question is, was this used in some sort of exhibition or tournament only, or were these available to the public for general conversions ?

2nd question - is it worth anything ? I only found one that had been sold on Ebay, and it was very cheap.

Thanks.

image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I was hoping for a Leon pin from the title!

#3 8 years ago

Wow, these look horrible, I've never heard of them. Different conversion kits to destroy all sorts of popular games! Eight Ball, Power Play, Star Trek, who needs 'em! People want a tournament on games that all look exactly the same, ugly blue and black. The flyers with the bikini girls are so bad I kind of want one.

I'd be surprised if anyone pays more than an unconverted game for one of those embarrassments.

#4 8 years ago

No women, no children. Puff! Puff! Puff! Puff!

--Leon

#5 8 years ago

Is the mirrored "face" of the professional designed so the players face is reflected as the professional's face?

#6 8 years ago

Only if you are 6' tall and stand just right. Otherwise it looks like a Wookie.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Wow, these look horrible

Not according to the flyer

Super Attractive Unless they are talking about the lady only in the picture

TheProf.jpgTheProf.jpg

#8 8 years ago

Wow, it's not even a cheesy sort of cool or funny like "look at this game I have, it's hilarious". It's just god awful all around.

It says super easy to apply on the flyer, I wonder if the decals and overlay were some sort of contact paper? That would be my guess.

This kit would infinitely lower the value of any game it was converted from.

#9 8 years ago

Leave it to us Canadians to come up with this monstrosity.

Google street view of where it was conceived/ sold from.

Screenshot_2015-07-10-17-16-29.pngScreenshot_2015-07-10-17-16-29.png

#10 8 years ago

Damn, this just made Raven look good......

#11 8 years ago

You have to admit though. Those pleated pants on the guy in backglass art is pretty sweet!

The only cool thing is it was made for a tournament. With prizes etc.

The company was still around/registered with the gov from 1979 until 2014.

http://opendatacanada.com/corporation.php?id=78867

#12 8 years ago

It's at an estate auction. I won't bother with it. I definitely wouldn't want it for my collection. What a waste of a previously decent donor machine, whatever it was.

5 months later
#13 8 years ago

One of these is for sale in Mochigan currently for $375. If you really want one, first I would ask "why??," but then I'd say PM me and I'll give you the contact info for the guy selling it.

One of the rarest...and least desirable pins!

#14 8 years ago

On the other hand....could be a good way to get a classic early Bally SS pin on the cheap. Would take some work to restore/reconvert admittedly but still...

#15 8 years ago

Some pics of a "Professional 4"
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#16 8 years ago

i got one of these .it was an eight ball conversion.certainly a novelty pin and plays like eight ball.

4 years later
#17 3 years ago

I played the 8 ball version, some arcade that was in my old neighborhood here in Pittsburgh ended up having one of the machines for a brief time in the summer of 85.

it plays just like eight ball but it was kind of surreal playing it, that was when I really learned how to play eight ball was playing that machine version of it.

And speaking of eight ball, am I correct in saying you can advance the horseshoe lights up top with the arrows by controlling the inside arrow with the flippers when you have no more targets to hit?

When my top four targets are gone I have no control of the arrows with the flipper if that's how the game is supposed to play, is there a setting where I can change that or do I have to replace something?

#18 3 years ago

That was the PPPA.....

THE PROFESSIONAL PINBALL PLAYERS ASSOCIATIONS YEARLY TOURNAMENT

Ironically the year they converted eight ball, the tournament was never held.

I would get one of those kits if I had an empty cabinet I could convert or maybe found a cheap one to replace just for the novelty of it.

#19 3 years ago

I picked up an Evel conversion in Pittsburgh a couple months ago. Going back to OE. I have a nice Professionals BG if anyone wants a wall hanger.

#20 3 years ago

I have 3 different versions of flyers for this monstrosity. The 4 page actually shows the face of the blank image on the backglass. Even the artwork on the flyers is pretty bad....

6 page: https://nypinball.com/flyers/professional-pinball-challenger/

2 sided: https://nypinball.com/flyers/professional-pinball-challenger-2/

4 page: https://nypinball.com/flyers/professional-pinball/

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from KeithJFro:

And speaking of eight ball, am I correct in saying you can advance the horseshoe lights up top with the arrows by controlling the inside arrow with the flippers when you have no more targets to hit?

No, there's no flipper control of lamps on 8 ball. If you happen to roll through the lit arrow it advances, and the lit arrows move with either 10 point switches or some other thing on the playfield.

Oh, and this whole idea of "the professional" series of conversion kits seemed like a really dumb idea. I guess the idea was that "professional pinball players don't play themes, they play layouts...." They're curiosity/oddities IMO. I would never own one unless I was putting it back to the stock game that it was.

#23 3 years ago

I remember seeing my first "Professional" conversion when they came out, and even at 10-11 years old thinking what a rip off it was, immediately recognizing the layout as an 8ball. Saw a few more on the street over the next couple of years, and recall finding it curious that they converted multiple different Classic Bally machines from their original beautiful artwork to this...

It felt sort of like when they started converting the chimes to electronic sounds in old EM's to milk them a little longer in the arcades.

At that time, chimes were as appealing to the Arcade goers as an Iphone 2 to a modern teenager, and that is what gave away the "new" professional games even if you didn't notice the layout, they only covered the -17 early SS Bally with chimes era.

My apologies on behalf of Canada for unleashing this unholy travesty on so many Classic Bally masterpieces!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-professional-pinball-conversion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.