(Topic ID: 309716)

What is the nicest thing you have ever done for someone?

By unclerudy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6f59cbb5e9821cdd513e9e5c68df14676f659ce5 (resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

What is the nicest thing you have ever done for someone? It could have been self serving, or you just wanted to help. Who was it for, and how did they react?

#2 2 years ago

Boring.

Ok Who is your favorite drummer?

I would say Keith Moon but that's only true if he's playing for the Who.

I really like 70s bangers like Paul Thompson from Roxy Music, Bill Ward from Sabbath, and even Nick Mason from Floyd.

#3 2 years ago

Well, the nicest thing someone did for me on pinside was send me a NOS R2-D2 shell for DESW for the cost of shipping, and they went to the trouble of contacting me to offer it. Thanks Squishy !

#4 2 years ago

A gentleman never tells.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Boring.
    I really like 70s bangers like Paul Thompson from Roxy Music, Bill Ward from Sabbath, and even Nick Mason from Floyd.

Still, what’s your favorite group from the 90’s?

#6 2 years ago

The nicest thing I have done today is not tell CrazyLevi to stop putting some stank in a thread with good intentions.

I will let you know how he reacts in a few minutes…

#7 2 years ago

Man, all the snark for a topic that’s a nice change of pace!

To answer the question itself, I don’t like to talk about nice things I’ve done for other people, bc it feels a little self-serving, but the nicest thing that was done for me was something my boss did for me as a college graduation present. I worked my ass off to finish my senior film—almost literally as I was only getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night my entire senior year just to balance work, school and the film. In the midst of this, I’d earned a paid trip to Europe but I couldn’t spare the time to go, and the faculty advisor treated me like dirt when I was giving the trip back. I had to deal with more drama from the group after that and eventually I quit out of principle—all I had to do was ignore the person for the rest of the year and I could say that I graduated with honors, but I hated how I was letting this person make me feel so I stood up to her instead and walked away with my dignity intact…but none of the perks I’d thought I would get.

My boss saw how hard I was working through this whole period, and saw how much the drama was bugging me. First he arranged for a surprise graduation party with all of my close friends from college. I don’t even know how he got in touch with them, but he pulled it off! At this party, he gave me a present—he arranged for me to spend the summer working at an animation studio in London and bought me the ticket to get there. It was absolutely unexpected and wonderful, and instead of being bitter and unhappy, I was able to feel excited and optimistic! The work I did there led to many future opportunities and I also had lots of age appropriate shenanigans to tell or not tel my kid about. I’m still in touch with that boss and we marvel at how far we’ve both come from that moment, but it’s also such a special moment for both of us to look back on.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Boring.

Yes, your inane drivel about a drummer isn’t boring at all.

#9 2 years ago

Married them

#10 2 years ago

Introducing me to Jesus Christ.

#11 2 years ago

A few years ago I helped one of my neighbors change her tire in my apartment complex parking lot. Was feeling generous that day for some reason.

#12 2 years ago

I helped an elderly lady up the step during very icy conditions at the Post Office.

#13 2 years ago

Fucking my neighbor,dunno if she was happy… but I was

#14 2 years ago

I was named after my Grandpa. Whenever I hear a story about him, it was always something nice that he did. Most recently, I heard how whenever it was cold outside, he'd bring coffee, hot chocolate and blankets to any homeless who were on the streets nearby his barbershop. So I've always tried to live up to that name.

#15 2 years ago

My best friend in the whole wide world wanted a pinball machine, so I took one to his house

#16 2 years ago

Just today while snowmobiling in the town of Mercer, Wisconsin an older lady was stuck in the snow with her GMC suv. My wife and I pushed her out.

Cheers

#17 2 years ago

I helped an Hasidic Jewish lady in her 80’s that fell on her way to temple on Saturday. She cut her head and was concussed. I pulled over, checked out the situation, the lady couldn’t get in my pickup so another Jewish lady let me borrow her car, walk right into her house and take her key. Since it was the Sabbath, they weren’t allowed to drive or even be in a car unless it was a dire emergency. I basically stole this woman’s car and took this other elderly lady to the hospital and stayed with her for hours, filling out all her paperwork. She told the doctor that I was the Good Samaritan from the Bible. That made me feel good. Her Rabbi later blessed me and my family who were going through hard times. It really meant a lot.

#18 2 years ago

In a previous career of sales, I drove alot. I've changed tires more for other people than I have on my own vehicles.
    This was back before everyone and their brother offered roadside assistance.

#19 2 years ago

Sold Tim at the PHoF my (former) Medieval Madness for 5600.

#20 2 years ago

Gave my cousin one of my kidneys.

#21 2 years ago

Had a student going through some really hard times with covid and her grandfather dying. She was crying and shaking one day as she tried to take her test. I just couldn’t take it. I already told her she didn’t have to take it and we’d figure something out. But she insisted. So as she was trembling and tears were running down her face, I went over to her and asked her to walk outside the room with me to talk. I told her that there were so many more important things than that test on her desk. She calmed down and started to control the countless emotions she was experiencing at the moment. She asked if she could go for a quick walk and finish the test. I said sure but you don’t have to finish today. Again she insisted. She came back. The shaking and tears were gone. She managed to finish the test, which wasn’t easy (physics dynamics with forces at angles) and pulled off a perfect score. Even though she used some time to go for a walk to settle herself down. She sent me an email a few days later telling me how much what I did at the moment meant to her. It felt really good.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Boring.

Cozy Powell (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Jeff Beck Group, Emerson, Lake, etc) AWESOME rock drummer of the 80s. One of my favorites.

Atsuo from the band Boris. He drums like a crazy person and just mad drum solos plus a gong. Boris is my favorite rock group today.

Love Bill Ward. Ringo is cool. Also Art Blakey.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Gave my cousin one of my kidneys.

Take it easy with thumbs up, I took it back from her cause I needed it for more drinking.
    Harder getting it out of her but the ice filled bathtub helped

#24 2 years ago

I hate to say this, but I'm cursed with punishment if I ever go out of my way or are overly nice/do a big favor for someone. Not that I would ever discourage anyone from helping/being nice... it's just me. Guaranteed, it will turn around and blow up on me or the person will backstab me later or something else.

I have found that random acts of kindness to unsuspecting people is usually the best (for me)... I have accepted my role on this planet and act accordingly

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

What is the nicest thing you have ever done for someone? It could have been self serving, or you just wanted to help. Who was it for, and how did they react?

If I told you it would make it less special.

#26 2 years ago

Not me, but my good friend gave me his Card Whiz as a gift because he knew I wanted it!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

If I told you it would make it less special.

The definition in a close way, of "righteousness".
    A key understanding after 50 years of theology study.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

but I'm cursed with punishment if I ever go out of my way or are overly nice/do a big favor for someone

If someone is overly nice to me especially when I don’t know them well I see more red flags than a Chinese parade

#29 2 years ago

Probably clitoral orgasm. I opened the door for a person once too.

#30 2 years ago

I can't readily think of any especially nice things I've done for other people. Not sure what that says about my character...
    I still just try to be nice to people in general.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from AMSNL:

Fucking my neighbor,dunno if she was happy… but I was

thats how my mom got me!

#32 2 years ago

Gave a homeless guy my umbrella after seeing him sitting on a curb, on a rainy day, trying to fix his busted up umbrella. In another incident, they wouldn't let a homeless guy into Carl's Jr to buy food because he didn't have a mask. I had several new masks in my car and gave him one. He was so grateful and was trying to give me 5 bucks for the mask. I told him no, he took the mask almost crying as he walked away.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

If someone is overly nice to me especially when I don’t know them well I see more red flags than a Chinese parade

LMAO. I agree. Makes you wonder WTF they want, right?

When I talk random acts of kindness, I mean the ones where they don't have the opportunity to see me or acknowledge me. For example, if I see a older/rough car or college student/etc. behind me in the drive-thru with a single occupant that looks like they might appreciate/could use a free meal/coffee at starbucks, I'll pay for them when I'm at the window and drive away. It's not about the attention or anything else for me.. just hope that perhaps it might make their day and hope they may pay the good karma forward..

#34 2 years ago

Not committed murder.....

#35 2 years ago

Not sure if this is filed under "nicest thing" or "just the right thing to do" but I saved an elderly man's life after he was having a heart attack when I was in high school. It's not a crazy story, but an interesting one:

I was a senior and staying after school for choir and musical stuff I was involved with. A few minutes into the rehearsal, I realized I had forgotten my sheet music music folder in the car. So I'm walking into the parking lot, and I see an elderly man haphazardly (and very slowly) driving through the parking lot with the window down. He called for help, I ran over to him. He tells me he thinks that he's having a heart attack, and that he really can't move his legs, and that his arm is too weak to put the car into park (it was one of those older Buicks with a column shifter).

I reach through his window, throw the car in park. He's telling me he has pills in the glove compartment for this sort of thing (I think he called them glycerin pills?), but I can't get it open. It's locked, and the keys were still in the ignition. I'm just next to my car at this point, and go to it, find a bottle of aspirin I had. Tell him to bite down and chew on a couple. All the while, I'm on the phone with 911, and since I called from my cell phone, and this was like 2008, they didn't yet have the technology to really track my call, so I'm sitting there trying to console this man, while trying to get an address for the school I was at (I remember that being a real mess trying to explain cross streets to the dispatcher).

Anyway, I was able to get the man more or less in stable condition (aka, recline him in the seat of his car, and get his seatbelt off. I was too nervous to really try to pull him out, and didn't want to create more of a problem trying). I never had any real formal first aid training (I was just a boy scout and had the merit badge). He never needed CPR or anything, but the ambulance crew was able to come, ask me questions, thanked me, and got him to the hospital.

I eventually learned he had passed away in the hospital a few days later after his wife sent me a brief thank you letter in the mail. She mentioned that his passing wasn't really a surprise, but my actions bought her a few more days with her husband to say goodbye.

#36 2 years ago

I've refrained from punching someone in the face before

#37 2 years ago

Nice positive thread, no sarcasm implied at all here.
    Invites discussion with no requirement to participate; Maybe even motivate one another to “pay it forward.”
    I see the usual suspect sarcastically mocking it in a separate thread.
    My first good deed for the day is to upvote the OP and remove the other thread from my sight.

As for myself? Anonymously donating to charities often and adopting shelter pets.

Jim

#38 2 years ago

At the age of 10 (early 1980s) I started travelling unaccompanied from Houston to Seattle and back.
    By 12 I knew how to arrange to transfer to other flights / carriers if I had a lengthy layover in places like Denver.
    One trip from SEA back to IAH there was a little old lady from Hong Kong sitting next to me, she spoke no English, I spoke no Cantonese. Our plane had mechanical issues that delayed our departure for several hours. As we sat on the tarmac waiting to depart, Ms. Wong (I can still remember her name) communicated to me she wanted some whiskey to rub on her joints. Having a grandmother around her age, and only as I had seen her do that, did I know what Ms. Wong wanted. I still recall the flight attendant asking me, as I ordered the whisky for Ms. Wong, if I was going to drink it. Ma'am, I'm 12 (ish) I told her. Well we finally got airborne but had to land in Dallas due to mechanical issues returning mid flight. For one reason or another that I cannot recall, we were going to have another long layover waiting for that airline to get us another plane. Again, despite being between ages 12 & 14, I went to the flight board and found the next flight from DFW to IAH and arranged for Ms. Wong and myself to switch to that airline & flight. That is how I came to know her name, helping her make the transfer arrangements. So I called my mom and communicated to Ms. Wong to call her people that we were coming in on a different airline all together. After what was likely 10 or 12 total hours after we left SEA, we made it to IAH safely, but wouldn't you know Ms. Wong nor the couple picking her up even offered up a thank you for helping her.
    Anywho, that did not dissuade me from helping those who needed a little hand as I mentioned up a few posts ago about changing tires.

#39 2 years ago

I always help people when I can. I am an eagle scout, but I do these things because it is the right thing to do. I used to clear snow on neighbors driveways with my 2 stage snow blower attachment on my lawnmower because it was easy once I had it out and running. I helped a neighbor, who is a single mother, get her gas weed eater started and running. I helped another neighbor couple get their computer working as they were not computer literate. When a tree near my yard fell into a elderly neighbor's yard, I helped clean up the debris and it was a lot. I regularly volunteer to help friends move, if they ask for help. I helped a friend of mine fix his pinball machine when a power supply had issues. I also helped diagnose and repair several electrical problems with an antique car that he had. I helped another friend fix his doorbell, when he had other electrical work done at his house that made it stop working. I helped another friend fix his outdoor HVAC condenser unit when the start capacitor failed. Most of these things are not really that difficult, but just require some basic electrical knowledge that these people were lacking, for the most part. Karma will always come back to you eventually and it generally makes you feel some sense of satisfaction to help another person fix a problem and possibly give them some additional knowledge. People will remember that you have skills too.

#40 2 years ago

From a risk perspective I would say co-signing a home mortgate for one of my brothers, but that's family and I'm not sure it really counts. I've helped lots of stranded motorists over the years either pulling/pushing them out of ditches or snow banks, jump starting their vehicles, drove one woman home (she was very nervous about getting in my vehicle but I handed her my cell phone and let her call her husband and give him my name and address from my DL to assure her it was okay) and one time drove four miles back to my house to get 5 gallons of gas for a woman who had run out on the side of a country road with her children with her and had no money for gas, a tow truck etc. These are all pretty minor things but I think if we all do what we can in those types of situations the world is just a better place all around. There are a lot of times I see posts in neighborhood groups asking for help with an appliance, electical issue, etc. and I think "I could go help them with that" but unfortunatly the litigious society we live in makes doing so way too risky anymore so I don't.

I've helped friends with pinball machines but that's just part of the hobby as far as I'm concerned and I always get beer or borboun out of it.

#41 2 years ago

I lent 2 people money to save their houses from foreclosure. I always wonder if someone would do that for me. I was paid back in both instances.

#42 2 years ago

I used to do SAR, I also volunteered on diff missing persons cases and even working to recover lost dogs. I've helped people find their lost loved ones fleshy and furry. I miss having the time and abilities to do so.

You don't have to save people's lives or locate their lost whatever to make a difference. It doesn't take much to give back to our communities. Just being nice and showing gratitude in our day to day goes a long way.

#43 2 years ago

I believe in karma and as such try to push forth as much positive energy into the universe as possible, but I prefer to remain anonymous if I can.

Every Christmas for the last 10 years, I take my kids to Walmart and we go to the layaway desk. We then comb through strangers' layaway lists and pay off thousands of dollars worth of layaway for random people. We typically try to find accounts with toys on their list as hopefully that indicates they have small children.

Growing up in a low income family, my mom had to work 2 jobs at Xmas time to afford presents for my brothers and me. I will never forget her absence during the holidays just so we could have presents under the tree. I honestly would have rather had more time with her than the presents as she worked all the time.

This is my way to help struggling families with children spend more time together during the holidays.

#44 2 years ago

Attended my step-sister's destination wedding even though it was in a really inconvenient and expensive location. Honestly, expecting everyone to travel to Hawaii is really demanding a lot..Not everyone can drop the cash to do that. Still, I went and I think it was noticed by the rest of the family as well. On top of that, I still got a gift from the registry.

Despite that, I still got left out of a lot of events--wild! Anyways, it was the right thing to do and I'm still glad to have done that.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinlordMarc:

Honestly, expecting everyone to travel to Hawaii is really demanding a lot..Not everyone can drop the cash to do that.

Yup, thats the point of doing it.

#46 2 years ago

Gave Holy Communion ( Catholic) to a person on their death bed.

#47 2 years ago

I had a friend who recently had to deal with a head injury.

Changed his Outlook, personality and his ability to deal with anxiety. Meds help, but his life is different now.

He hasn't gone out much due to Corona and I recently lent him my Indianapolis 500. He loved to play it when I had it on location and now it is in his living room.

He loves to play it and his lady has told me that it brings him great joy and satisfaction.

I will sometimes wear a hat that says "pinball saved my life". And it is true. It has. I am also happy to sprinkle some of that magic pinball fairy dust around when I can. So I do.

Sprinkle that awesome pinball shit all over!

Much pin-love!

6f59cbb5e9821cdd513e9e5c68df14676f659ce5 (resized).jpg6f59cbb5e9821cdd513e9e5c68df14676f659ce5 (resized).jpg
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I had a friend who recently had to deal with a head injury.

Changed his Outlook, personality and his ability to deal with anxiety. Meds help, but his life is different now.

That's a lot to deal with as a friend, relative, acquaintance--anything. My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend, and kudos to you on sticking by him during the incredibly-difficult circumstances.

#49 2 years ago

I saw a guy at a stoplight.His Truck was on fire,I had an extinguisher and put it out.He said look you got my truck all dirty.

#50 2 years ago

Saved the lives of a few people who attempted suicide.

If you ask any of them if I did them a favor, I'm sure some of the responses would be "no."

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-nicest-thing-you-have-ever-done-for-someone?hl=damen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.