(Topic ID: 216535)

What is the most you have paid for an autograph?

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ReggieJackson-7101 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7100 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7099 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7097 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7098 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-0570 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7095 (resized).jpg
    ReggieJackson-7096 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4369 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4367 (resized).JPG
    12052480_10206182766505798_3492393262740511945_o (resized).jpg
    4AD9050C-BB36-4B68-8AAF-ADD3F9ABD78A (resized).jpeg
    15262539695166760611626986502670 (resized).jpg
    C64521FC-33A9-4F93-A0E9-836033A3EF1E (resized).jpeg
    082882C3-00AA-4829-AB7C-D2D26B48AD2E (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

The Hulk thread peaked my curiosity. Some probably chase autographs for financial reasons (to resell), others I imagine like to collect them or keep for memory purposes. What is the most you've paid (or sold!) when it comes to autographs?

Personally, I was going to say that I've never paid anything for one, or even asked for one that I can remember. . . but then I remembered I purchased the Kingpin Translite offered by Circus Maximus with the Ritchie/Fukuoka autographs on it. I made the purchase to secure a position in buying a production game but technically I did pay for the autographs. . .

#2 5 years ago

$20 Pete Rose, in the early 1990's, auto on a ball I bought separately. Interestingly, in 1986 I got an autograph on a ball I supplied from Bob Feller at a card shop official signing. He charged $2. Always liked that guy for that reason. My wife bought me a Stan Musial signed ball in Cooperstown after he passed, because I could never get his autograph over the years he was in Cooperstown for the HOF ceremonies. Not sure what she paid but the Coopstown, NY storefronts aren't cheap.

#3 5 years ago

I bought a new Judas Priest LP at full retail ($30) last month and waited in line for 10 minutes.

Well worth it!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

Basketball autographed by Lebron James and Michael Jordon $200 on eBay many years ago. BTW - I give my signature away a dozen times a day.

#5 5 years ago

$0 Every autograph I have, I got on my own or had friends get them for me. Have a lot of hockey & NASCAR signed items.

My most prized one is Dale Earnhardt!

#6 5 years ago

Nothing, I never felt that autographs had any importance to me. A handshake and short conversation has a much greater appreciation and memory to me.

#7 5 years ago

0, autographs never seemed to interest me.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Platypus:

Nothing, I never felt that autographs had any importance to me. A handshake and short conversation has a much greater appreciation and memory to me.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

0, autographs never seemed to interest me.

I'm with these guys. An autograph is just 'proof' that you met someone, or a certain person own/used a certain thing. Never put any value in that stuff myself.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm with these guys. An autograph is just 'proof' that you met someone, or a certain person own/used a certain thing. Never put any value in that stuff myself.

Hard to say that an autograph proves that you met someone, but it is what it is. For me, my Dad gave me a birthday card one year with a picture of a baseball on it and he signed his name on the ball. Best autograph I ever got, free and yes I met the man. He's passed on so in that way it's an important thing to me.

#10 5 years ago

I buy all sorts of autographed or game used items. I've paid $5 to $2000 depending on the item. Some I have collected myself but others I had no choice but to pay for. Its nice to display the items in the game-room.

#11 5 years ago

I've sold many through my job since I deal with a lot of collectibles.
    I've gotten good at finding fakes as well
    But never bought any. I have a few just some smaller bands and a Johnny cash that I got for free

#12 5 years ago

The only autograph I like are on the bottom of checks.

#13 5 years ago

I have never cared about autographs, and I don't think I have ever had one.

#14 5 years ago

$125 to have Norman Reedus (Darryl) sign my alt translite for my TWD premium. He signed it "Slay better!"

TWD_Translite (resized).JPGTWD_Translite (resized).JPG

#15 5 years ago

Yep,
    That is about where I fit as well. If someone somewhere out there did something that I thought was special I've always felt that a handshake and me saying "Thank You" would be sufficient, but I do not have a nifty game room with nice displays either.

I am also of the mindset that you will never catch me wearing a sports jersey or other eclectic garb with someone else's name on it (I'm not much of a sports/fashion guy), but that is probably a whole nuther topic.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Yep,
    That is about where I fit as well. If someone somewhere out there did something that I thought was special I've always felt that a handshake and me saying "Thank You" would be sufficient, but I do not have a nifty game room with nice displays either.
    I am also of the mindset that you will never catch me wearing a sports jersey or other eclectic garb with someone else's name on it (I'm not much of a sports/fashion guy), but that is probably a whole nuther topic.

Everybody has their thing so I try not to be too judgemental.

You are a truck guy, right? I bet you've got an item of clothing with your fave car logo on it!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

$0 Every autograph I have, I got on my own or had friends get them for me. Have a lot of hockey & NASCAR signed items.
    My most prized one is Dale Earnhardt!

Sounds JUST like me. Mostly NHL and NASCAR. Got all of them on my own. Helps knowing some NHL players too. . .

#18 5 years ago

I accidentally paid the Flash Gordon guy $40 to sign the Apron of Destiny. I just figured he would sign it out of his love for the hobby and mankind. I’m still haunted by the memory of handing him my beer money.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I accidentally paid the Flash Gordon guy $40 to sign the Apron of Destiny. I just figured he would sign it out of his love for the hobby and mankind. I’m still haunted by the memory of handing him my beer money.

guess the same mistake didnt happen for $75 for mister lou ferrigno?

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Everybody has their thing so I try not to be too judgemental.
    You are a truck guy, right? I bet you've got an item of clothing with your fave car logo on it!

Actually I don't. Look in my closet and its basically solid colors. . . when I'm feeling crazy I have a couple shirts with stripes!

But I agree, not trying to judge anyone based on what they like or collect. I tend to be overly curious about what other people find interesting and why. No wrong answers here!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Best $40 you spent. Ever. It made me feel totally refreshed and awesome!

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

guess the same mistake didnt happen for $75 for mister lou ferrigno?

Yeah, that was a bitter lesson. Flash signed the AOD at TPF17, and the divine artifact had already changed hands by TPF18.

Quoted from ApronOfDestiny:

Best $40 you spent. Ever. It made me feel totally refreshed and awesome!

That makes me feel a little better.

#23 5 years ago

$0 - But I only have Bruce Campbell & 'A Place to Bury Strangers' autograph's

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

Sounds JUST like me. Mostly NHL and NASCAR. Got all of them on my own. Helps knowing some NHL players too. . .

Who'd have thought more than 1 person into NASCAR & the NHL....such an odd combination!

I did get to meet Bobby Hull & Stan Makita at a restaurant, they were so nice-even bought my group a round of drinks after they let me get a photo with them and signed my Blackhawks coat!

#25 5 years ago

$0, but I don't begrudge people that do pay for them. Just not my thing.

#26 5 years ago

Would never spend a dime for an autograph unless 100% of the money went to charity.

#27 5 years ago

$0. i would never pay somebody for their autograph. Matter of fact i would never ask someone for their autograph. But to each their own. If it rolls your silverball have at it.

#28 5 years ago

$4000 for an Arnold Schwarzenegger autograph, but it came with a minty LAH.

#29 5 years ago

I have a number of signed Green Bay Packers items.
    I got a couple signatures myself for free (Johnny Holland and Mark Chmura).
    Many more were gifts from family. Most of those were free, some purchased, but I don't know any of the prices.
    My Spiderman has Steve Ritchie's signature on the apron, not sure which previous owner got it.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

Who'd have thought more than 1 person into NASCAR & the NHL....such an odd combination!

Not really into NASCAR anymore tho. Still have a ton of diecast though that I should try and move. Was a huge fan of Terry and Bobby Labonte. Met them numerous times at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Would never pay for anyone's autograph by the way. Well, maybe Bruce Dickinson, for a small fee

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

Not really into NASCAR anymore tho. Still have a ton of diecast though that I should try and move. Was a huge fan of Terry and Bobby Labonte. Met them numerous times at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Would never pay for anyone's autograph by the way. Well, maybe Bruce Dickinson, for a small fee

Ya, I've got a large die cast collection also....was a big DJ fan and then Kenseth after DJ retired. I do have an autographed Bobby pic from his Gibbs/Interstate days.....

#32 5 years ago

Spent about $200 on a picture of myself my wife William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy back in 2010. Was Nimoys last convention...rip.

#33 5 years ago

A significant amount on a real Brandon Lee autograph on a Rapid Fire lobby card.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

so I try not to be too judgemental.

#35 5 years ago

150 for Sigourney Weaver, The end result was amazing tho

Aliens Frick (resized).JPGAliens Frick (resized).JPG

#37 5 years ago

I met and got an autograph from Mitch Hedberg mere weeks before he died. Really nice guy that couldn't handle the celebrity lifestyle.

#38 5 years ago

I think the most I've spent was about $80 for Adam West and another $80 for Burt Ward. They were not very social either but in hind site I'm glad I met them. I wouldn't pay for an autograph I did not witness myself though. I was never into getting autographs and/or photos with celebrities but my wife and I sort of fell into it as something to do. Its more for meeting the celeb than anything and if they are nice and sociable the better. You can sometimes hang out at the hotel bar at a con later at night to just bs with some celebs for essentially free. No guarantee though.

20 years ago it would be blasphemy for a celebrity to ask $20 on an autograph. Now a days that would be extremely cheap going to a Monster Mania, Chiller or Steel City con here on the East coast. What really drove prices up IMO was the Walking Dead cast and their agents. The first season of Walking Dead Norman Reedus was $30 at most and his line was very sparse. crwjumper posted he charges $125 now and people pay that ALL DAY LONG at a Walker Stalker con. That's just Norman. Imagine people that get several or all the characters from the show. Its a small fortune to pay but for some its worth it.

Cons even started to incorporate "Professional Photo Ops" which average $60 but can easily be higher depending on the celeb or how many celebs are in the photo. For some photos, the celebs will dress up as their character from a move which is pretty cool.

Its just something to do like anything else. Some people love gambling or playing slots. I told one of my friends what a NIB pin costs and he said "Some people have more money than sense" To each is own.

84e98a9d0d07576344359a1744346f81204411da (resized).jpg84e98a9d0d07576344359a1744346f81204411da (resized).jpg

#39 5 years ago

I was going to remark about my disdain of autographs, I never understood the appeal.

But if someone considers a particular autograph cool, I suppose that's their right.

If someone gave me something autographed by any or all of the members of Rush, for example, I imagine I'd be excited and grateful.

But my mind doesn't work that way. I met Trey Anastasio of Phish in an elevator in Milwaukee ten years ago, and did I want an autograph? No. A selfie? No. I asked for and received a hug!

When smart aleck cashiers ask me for an "autograph" on a credit slip, I tell 'em I have to charge for autographs, but I'm willing to give them my signature if that will work!

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I think the most I've spent was about $80 for Adam West and another $80 for Burt Ward. They were not very social either but in hind site I'm glad I met them. I wouldn't pay for an autograph I did not witness myself though. I was never into getting autographs and/or photos with celebrities but my wife and I sort of fell into it as something to do. Its more for meeting the celeb than anything and if they are nice and sociable the better. You can sometimes hang out at the hotel bar at a con later at night to just bs with some celebs for essentially free. No guarantee though.
    20 years ago it would be blasphemy for a celebrity to ask $20 on an autograph. Now a days that would be extremely cheap going to a Monster Mania, Chiller or Steel City con here on the East coast. What really drove prices up IMO was the Walking Dead cast and their agents. The first season of Walking Dead Norman Reedus was $30 at most and his line was very sparse. crwjumper posted he charges $125 now and people pay that ALL DAY LONG at a Walker Stalker con. That's just Norman. Imagine people that get several or all the characters from the show. Its a small fortune to pay but for some its worth it.
    Cons even started to incorporate "Professional Photo Ops" which average $60 but can easily be higher depending on the celeb or how many celebs are in the photo. For some photos, the celebs will dress up as their character from a move which is pretty cool.
    Its just something to do like anything else. Some people love gambling or playing slots. I told one of my friends what a NIB pin costs and he said "Some people have more money than sense" To each is own.

Awesome pics. Sid Haig is the best. '3 From Hell is underway...

#41 5 years ago

Zero for a Derek Jeter signed baseball. Class act.

#42 5 years ago

For a signature alone - $35 for Bart Starr to sign a jersey. He would sign anything you'd send him when you made a donation to his charity, which provides housing and mentoring in automotive skills to underprivileged youth.

Memorabilia is a weird thing. I go back and forth on whether signatures are worth anything to me or not. I rarely have the urge to ask anyone for their autograph when I meet them, I feel I'm way too old for that now. But, having a piece of sports memorabilia on the wall is a little bit more special when it's signed or game used. A framed jersey with no signature just feels incomplete to me for whatever reason.

#43 5 years ago

I have collected autographs for about 30 years.I have had literally thousands of signatures. Its a disease. Only paid for a handfull, Ali was $60 many years ago. I paid for one, but eventually got about 6 signed from him for free through the years. I had old magazine he signed cassius clay on it even though I didn't ask. Next guy in line asked and was told no. He pointed towards his picture and said he was Ali in that one.
    I spent a good chunk of time running around and collecting autographs. I got ted danson to sign a cheers jacket, but had to buy his book. I was last in line and he only signed one item besides his book, and that was my jacket.
    I paid a bunch of the james bond women to sign a poster at chiller autograph shows through the years, Will post picture later.
    I did recently buy a mel blanc autograph at estate auction. Funny thing about that auction. I spent a fortune. But the estate belonged to a long time well known in person collector. They sold hundreds of autographs that day for peanuts.
    Biggest jerks I've asked for signatures, michael jordan, kareem abdul jabbar, and bruce willis.
    Best signers, boxers. They are so happy when you ask them to sign something. Its like they appreciate the recognition for all their hard work. I used to get arturo gatti all the time. I think I had every champion for the past 40 years signature on something.
    I gave my wife (now ex) a gift for our 20th anniversary. An album that took me 3 years to put together. 150 autographed photos inscribed To :">($# Happy 20th anniversary.
    I will pay, usually up to $20 if it is an unusual item and I want a neat signature.
    I had 3 of the monkees sign a monkeemobile. I tried to get nesmith, but he wasn't signing, so I got so pissed I sold it. I was told "its not his thing", signing. Now I see he goes to chiller shows and signs for a price. All of a sudden, it his thing.
    hundreds of stories and memories

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

A framed jersey with no signature just feels incomplete to me for whatever reason.

I can see the appeal of having the signature to compliment something that defined that person. That would make a great display.

I suppose if the Dodge Brothers were still around I'd consider letting them sign the Power Wagon.

#45 5 years ago

Poster of bond movie posters. I tried to get the bond women to sign over their movie

bondo (resized).jpgbondo (resized).jpg

bondo2 (resized).jpgbondo2 (resized).jpg

bondo3 (resized).jpgbondo3 (resized).jpg

#46 5 years ago

$50 ea for a tracy lords photo (non-nude) and jakki degg (also, non-nude) simply because both were really great photos

and $20 or 40 for karl urban to sign my star trek translite. even got him to write "dammit jim, I'm not even on this translite!"

#47 5 years ago

Are you kidding?

People are supposed to pay me for my autograph!

#48 5 years ago

Went to my local public golf course Auburn Hills as a single player during the middle of the week. There was a guy and his nephew who were paying in front of me. I asked if he wanted to play together as I was a single. He said sure so we joined up on the first tee where he proceeded to tee it up from the black tee markers(the tips). I noticed he was a huge guy with tree trunks for thighs and huge arms. I am a 12 handicap but never play the black tees so I teed mine up from the blue tees and off we went(his nephew was not playing) he was a pretty good golfer who hit it a long ways. We were having a good casual time and ribbing each other over putts left short and so on as golfers love to do. We got to the sixth hole and a group of four let us play through. After I hit my tee shot from the blues as I am heading back to my cart one of the guys in the foursome asked who the guy was I was playing with. I said I met him in the pro shop and all I know is his name is Barry. The guy looks at me like I am crazy and said that was Barry Sanders I was playing with. Well that made since as he has family here in Wichita. I chose not to say anything to Barry after I was told this as we were genuinely having a good time together. When we finished the 9 th hole he told me he wasn't going to play the back nine. I shook his hand and told him I enjoyed playing with him. I then asked so you are Barry Sanders aren't you? He cracked a big smile and said yes he was. I wanted to ask him to sign my scorecard but he was so cool to play with that I didn't want to ruin it so I just shook his hand again and told him it was a pleasure to meet him. Class act all the way around. Obviously I don't watch a lot of football.

#49 5 years ago

99% of the autographs on eBay are fakes and I'm shocked they don't do more to police their site.

Part of my job working in music has been getting various posters and CD's signed for charity events and contest giveaways. I've given a couple Pinsiders I'm friendly with, pretty cool pieces of signed memorabilia that I know they appreciate. One day I'm going to start selling down the hundreds of signed posters, albums, CD's, etc that I have. Anytime I did a signing, I'd always keep a few signed items for my own collection or to give to people I know are fans of the artist. Half of them are from up and coming "hot artists", who's careers never took off -so lots of junk. My old boss who died last year of cancer recently had a massive collection consigned on backstageauctions.com. That's a great site to get authentic items from people in the business. You'll pay a lot, but the stuff is all legit.

The most expensive autograph I ever sold was an old record company promo B&W 8x10" of Metallica with Cliff Burton. I found it tucked away in a file cabinet from a coworker who didn't' take it with when they left the company. I remember that sold for $800ish on eBay about 10 years ago. There were two and I still have one. It's one of my prized possessions. I also have an 8x10" record company B&W promo photo from Geffen, that has the signatures of the original Guns N Roses lineup. That's another one I'll never sell.

#50 5 years ago

Here’s a cool Fight Club poster I keep in my office. Brad Pitt signed his name over Norton’s photo and vice verse. Meatloaf and a few others signed it too.

271FBB37-DBEE-4C34-8214-77E531C3399B (resized).jpeg271FBB37-DBEE-4C34-8214-77E531C3399B (resized).jpeg
    68F5E7F2-6384-4192-B26D-FD141F3FD703 (resized).jpeg68F5E7F2-6384-4192-B26D-FD141F3FD703 (resized).jpeg
    AD1A53BC-BEDE-425B-A179-74D5245660F6 (resized).jpegAD1A53BC-BEDE-425B-A179-74D5245660F6 (resized).jpeg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-you-have-paid-for-an-autograph?hl=jsampel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.