(Topic ID: 329889)

What is the Most Polarizing Pin? (Now with poll!)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the most polarizing pin?”

• Guns and Roses (JJP) 50 votes
      18%
    • Ghostbusters (Stern) 80 votes
      29%
    • Total Nuclear Annihilation (Spooky) 14 votes
      5%
    • Dialed In (JJP) 8 votes
      3%
    • Beatles (Stern) 10 votes
      4%
    • The Hobbit (JJP) 7 votes
      3%
    • Halloween (Spooky) 20 votes
      7%
    • The Walking Dead (Stern) 2 votes
      1%
    • Black Knight 2000 (Williams) 0 votes
    • X-Men (Stern) 4 votes
      1%
    • Led Zeppelin, any version (Stern) 24 votes
      9%
    • Toy Story 4 (JJP) 27 votes
      10%
    • Dr Who (Bally) 1 vote
    • Twilight Zone (Bally) 13 votes
      5%
    • World Poker Tour (Stern) 3 votes
      1%
    • Orbiter 1 (Stern Classic) 6 votes
      2%
    • Stargate (Gottilieb) 1 vote
    • Revenge from Mars (Bally) 8 votes
      3%

(278 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230129_221256 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20230121_185631 (resized).jpeg
    3405ACDA-C201-4D69-8455-FB0DC6E57966 (resized).jpeg
    43E85C4B-C3D0-4D85-A1D7-53D5623F70D0 (resized).jpeg
    thats-damn-good-thats-good.gif
    0A133B94-4190-4403-9D0A-1912199D3F66 (resized).jpeg
    image-2 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220116_040420 (resized).jpg
    9C6EA529-F641-4A2F-89F1-6C8FEA9D30F9 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-01-24-10-08-19-18 (resized).png
    teeheehee.jpg
    polar (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I don't think Bond 60 is very polarizing. Almost everyone agrees its A. too expensive B. is probably going to be a lot of fun to play.

I think and agree with others that pinside has set this up to a real hit.

#152 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I despise Game of Thrones, are all the people owning them "copers" as well? Of course not, everyone has different tastes and I'm glad we have choices.

Yes, because that game kind of sucks too, but its at least more of a matter with taste on GOT. GB is just so horribly designed with all its flaws I really cannot think of any justification to like it. Like wow it sure is cool having drop targets like 5 inches (exaggerating of course) away from the flippers that cause airballs to fly over the top of the flipper bats. Great design. Scoring that is pretty much completely dependent on starting the 6x multiplier, thats really neat too. Thats in addition to the numerous other design flaws people have pointed out.

Quoted from explosiveegg:

I didn't realize GB had so much hate. It's certainly a punishing game but has some really satisfying shots. I don't think Stern has made a prettier looking game either.
    I would've thought Stern's Star Wars would've made the list. That game is hated by most the people at league, while be other peoples favorite.

I cannot think of a single satisfying shot in the game. The left ramp thats way too steep? Maybe the right corkscrew ramp thats nearly impossible to hit and make all the way around and even when you do its just like boring asf because the ball loses all its kinetic energy making it around the tight bend at a weird angle to the flippers. The orbit shot that almost every game has? I don't think I ever felt any kinetic satisfaction on any game I've ever played on GB. All I felt was anger and frustration.

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Yes, because that game kind of sucks too, but its at least more of a matter with taste on GOT. GB is just so horribly designed with all its flaws I really cannot think of any justification to like it. Like wow it sure is cool having drop targets like 5 inches (exaggerating of course) away from the flippers that cause airballs to fly over the top of the flipper bats. Great design. Scoring that is pretty much completely dependent on starting the 6x multiplier, thats really neat too. Thats in addition to the numerous other design flaws people have pointed out.

I cannot think of a single satisfying shot in the game. The left ramp thats way too steep? Maybe the right corkscrew ramp thats nearly impossible to hit and make all the way around and even when you do its just like boring asf because the ball loses all its kinetic energy making it around the tight bend at a weird angle to the flippers. The orbit shot that almost every game has? I don't think I ever felt any kinetic satisfaction on any game I've ever played on GB. All I felt was anger and frustration.

LOL. That left ramp is 100% easily backhand-able and a really good feeling shot.

edit: and zero air balls over here.

#154 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

LOL. That left ramp is 100% easily backhand-able and a really good feeling shot.

Backhanding the left ramp on mando feels better and that shot sucks too. Speaking of...is Mando a good candidate or are most people now in agreement that its just not very good?

#155 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Backhanding the left ramp on mando feels better and that shot sucks too. Speaking of...is Mando a good candidate or are most people now in agreement that its just not very good?

I've never seen a good amount of people defending Mando.

#156 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Besides the art being shitty, it's a great game. I love the code.

Not fond of fan layouts.

Some folks like whisky, others vodka.

#157 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

GB is just so horribly designed with all its flaws I really cannot think of any justification to like it.

Well the best part is, you don't have too.

#158 1 year ago

Ghostbusters and Toy Story 4 were probably the answer 6 months ago but today they are universally acclaimed. Ghostbusters is a fun and very forgiving game while Toy Story 4 features dozens of mechs and toys spread throughout it's playfield despite it's reasonable NIB pricing. Both of these are games are among the greatest of all time, just behind the Hobbit at #1.

*insert sarcasm

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

edit: and zero air balls over here.

I have backhanded the left ramp, though not consistently no doubt due to a fairly aggressive setup angle.

If the ball is slow, the game is boring.

#160 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've never seen a good amount of people defending Mando.

I own Mando and don't really like it. However it is a Cadillac compared to the dumpster fire that is GB.

#161 1 year ago

I wonder what peoples perspective on gb would be if the current code was in place when the game got released, it really is a massive improvement. I have to be honest though, a plain gb from the factory is utter garbage to play. You need the inlane covers, an air ball protector, and flippers adjusted to decrease the gap. When you do have it setup nicely it is a top10 game (in my mind) no doubt. Just sucks that you need to add all this aftermarket shit to actually have fun.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I own Mando and don't really like it. However it is a Cadillac compared to the dumpster fire that is GB.

Hey I owned GB; I knowm what a shit show it is

#163 1 year ago

Quoted from Bublehead:I’m curious to know how GB would have turned out if it had not been designed by a pedophile. As it is, right now I have to look at my Bride of Pinbot in a whole new light. More as one big- Zingy-Bingy, blow-up-doll reject who gets to now stare at me with that blank adult bookstore “Oh!” face forever. I mean, it has always been kind of creepy when you list the literal goals of the game- shoot your ball into her mouth, then shoot your balls into her eyes, then shoot your balls down her throat to give her “human influx” and make her turn human. No perverts working on that machine, right? Would have thought he would have played up the gatekeeper-keymaster schtick more in GB with that kind of track record.

That's Python Angelo for you!

#164 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

I wonder what peoples perspective on gb would be if the current code was in place when the game got released, it really is a massive improvement. I have to be honest though, a plain gb from the factory is utter garbage to play. You need the inlane covers, an air ball protector, and flippers adjusted to decrease the gap. When you do have it setup nicely it is a top10 game (in my mind) no doubt. Just sucks that you need to add all this aftermarket shit to actually have fun.

I never played it on the old code, but I don't think it would change perspectives much. Remember Deadpool code was bad for a long time and everyone hated the game, then the big update and suddenly the game was awesome and is loved by most people

#165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

The launch code WAS bad of course, but for me it was always a layout issue .ore than anything; and I never even had an issue with it cumming out of the pops.

There's a BIG dif'rence in trim as well; I had the pro which is WELL below prem+.
    Basically 1 ramp game

Quoted from Haymaker:

...I don't think I ever felt any kinetic satisfaction on any game I've ever played on GB.

Ha basically issue with TMNT.
    The only positive think in GB for me was Looping Supers.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

I wonder what peoples perspective on gb would be if the current code was in place when the game got released, it really is a massive improvement. I have to be honest though, a plain gb from the factory is utter garbage to play. You need the inlane covers, an air ball protector, and flippers adjusted to decrease the gap.

I have none of those and it plays just fine.

Inlane covers, lol. Never played a classic stern where the ball just flies over the wire guides I see.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Inlane covers, lol. Never played a classic stern where the ball just flies over the wire guides I see.

Probably has to do with me being a zoomer

#168 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You'd think we'd have gotten past that problem by the year 2016. Indeed its a rare sight on most games since the early solid state era. hmmm...its almost as if it was poorly designed...

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

That's Python Angelo for you!

Can we set the record straight? Pastor69 was not talking about Python...

#170 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

... Never played a classic stern where the ball just flies over the wire guides I see.

Me neither...that might tell ya something.

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pastor69:

Probably has to do with me being a zoomer

I have not played a classic Stern till 3 years ago and now own 3 (Quicksilver, Seawitch and Meteor)

#172 1 year ago

GB should not be on the poll, it an awesome game period.

#173 1 year ago

GB should not be on the poll, it sucks ass, period!

#174 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Can we set the record straight? Pastor69 was not talking about Python...

Hey Stoney.

Trudeau and Angelo both worked on and designed BOP.

#175 1 year ago

I’m posting a safe for work photo that, if it was the same close up picture of an adult bookstore product we won’t mention by name, it would be tagged NSFW immediately. It is unfortunate for us owners of a happily married pair of Mr. and Mrs. Pinbot machines that this is her facial expression almost 99.999% of the time. One can not help but smell the stench of scandal once it touches something. It’s like skunk oil- the stench seems to last forever but eventually goes away, except it doesn’t really, you just get used to smelling it.

43E85C4B-C3D0-4D85-A1D7-53D5623F70D0 (resized).jpeg43E85C4B-C3D0-4D85-A1D7-53D5623F70D0 (resized).jpeg
    #176 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Hey Stoney.
    Trudeau and Angelo both worked on and designed BOP.

irrelevant.

Trudeau was convicted of something that had nothing to do with pinball design.

#177 1 year ago

Not to some. Child molesters get a special ring in hell in my book, no matter if they designed sliced bread or not.

#178 1 year ago

Impossible to hate Twilight Zone for me. I pick Indian Jones Stern version or Pirates of Caribbean by Stern as hate them both and boring. Led zep and Stranger things as well boring as well and light show uV nice touch but never will watch a show either.

#179 1 year ago

Not to defend Trudeau but I feel like Python had way more to do with the sexual nature of BOP.

#180 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Not to defend Trudeau but I feel like Python had way more to do with the sexual nature of BOP.

Yeah, but she is a one trick pony machine… shoot the ramp. Over and over and over… back in the day when we were pretty clueless on rulesets and depth and would play anything that would give us a multiball and a jackpot to shoot for. And faced with joining the Billionaires club and even getting a shot at that heart ramp, you poured quarters into this thing hoping to add your name to the list. And then you do it the first time and she is all used up, nothing left to see here, just move along, move along…

#181 1 year ago

BOP is a very boring game, but it's also among the best in terms of presentation of lights/sound/mechanics. The bride coming alive is a true Pinball Moment™

#182 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

irrelevant.
    Trudeau was convicted of something that had nothing to do with pinball design.

Stoney, let me set you straight my friend and end your comments to me, because this is the last comment I make to you about it.

1st off, I never commented towards "Pastor69". Where do I quote or ever make mention of him or post towards him? I never did, so you were wrong from jump.

#2, I never said anything in my original post about Trudeau, you did. All I said in response back to you was that both he and P.A. were the ones who worked on BOP together. That's it! I never mentioned anything about the man or any of his issues, whatever they may be. You did that, not me. My original post only mentioned P.A. because if you knew him and knew how he was, you understood my post about BOP and laughed. You assumed things that were never intended and simply aren't there.

#3, I clearly quoted "Bublehead" and linked his complete quote on what HE said regarding BOP. That way there'd be no confusion about my funny quip post to him. I quoted no one else and made no mention of any other person or what anyone else said or did. You did that, not me. I mentioned Python and that was it, cause he was hilarious like that.

#4, Python (as I said) was a hilarious and cool dude. I remember trying to help him out when he was battling his cancer, and without anymore elaboration whatsoever on that, all I will say is, If you knew P.A. or even just heard stories about the man, then you read my joking comment to Bublehead about his BOP comment and laughed. End of story. You're the only one who misconstrued something and has turned it into this nonexistent issue bro. So for the sake of the thread, let's call it officially explained and over with. Thanks.

Lasty, on a positive side note...

Pinball Circus is such an awesome machine. If you've never played it, you need to. The Circus Maximus group (those guys are awesome!) was kind enough to bring the one they built for Python to Allentown. I know their goal still is to get it built for Pythe and brought to market. I hope they eventually finish that off and do in fact bring it to market. I'm definitely in on one.

Pinball Circus was Python's baby and dream machine. What great friends to try and complete a fellow friend's dream. And what an awesome and super fun pin to play.

Anyway, have a great day all and keep flippin!

#183 1 year ago

And here we though GB was polarizing…

My nephew Logan had the GC on pinball circus at PHOF for like almost forever back when they were at the Tropicana location. He dropped his money in and started playing… I took my quarters and headed to the EM’s. I come back about a half hour later and he is still playing… he asked me if they had finished the code because he had seen all kinds of bugs and stuff come up while playing it. He finished and put up some huge score that I wished I would have taken a picture of. He might have taken one, I’ll have to ask him. But he took it as far as the code would let him. Said it was fun just trying to get to the top… I think he had some kind of video game timing training that made it easy for him, because he went farther than I ever did or I ever saw anyone do to this day. Fun concept and appeals to casuals like you would never believe.

#184 1 year ago

That's awesome Bub. Great memories and hopefully he did take a pic of his score. That's super Impressive!

That game is so addicting. You just have to keep playing it till you get to the top level. I didn't care what my score was, I just wanted to get to that top level, but didn't. Played about 15 games on it in Allentown too, and no dice. Lol

The game is so cool and beautiful looking too. So much going on for such a small playfield. I hope they make it to market someday.

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Stoney, let me set you straight my friend and end your comments to me, because this is the last comment I make to you about it.
    1st off, I never commented towards "Pastor69". Where do I quote or ever make mention of him or post towards him? I never did, so you were wrong from jump.
    #2, I never said anything in my original post about Trudeau, you did. All I said in response back to you was that both he and P.A. were the ones who worked on BOP together. That's it! I never mentioned anything about the man or any of his issues, whatever they may be. You did that, not me. My original post only mentioned P.A. because if you knew him and knew how he was, you understood my post about BOP and laughed. You assumed things that were never intended and simply aren't there.
    #3, I clearly quoted "Bublehead" and linked his complete quote on what HE said regarding BOP. That way there'd be no confusion about my funny quip post to him. I quoted no one else and made no mention of any other person or what anyone else said or did. You did that, not me. I mentioned Python and that was it, cause he was hilarious like that.
    #4, Python (as I said) was a hilarious and cool dude. I remember trying to help him out when he was battling his cancer, and without anymore elaboration whatsoever on that, all I will say is, If you knew P.A. or even just heard stories about the man, then you read my joking comment to Bublehead about his BOP comment and laughed. End of story. You're the only one who misconstrued something and has turned it into this nonexistent issue bro. So for the sake of the thread, let's call it officially explained and over with. Thanks.
    Lasty, on a positive side note...
    Pinball Circus is such an awesome machine. If you've never played it, you need to. The Circus Maximus group (those guys are awesome!) was kind enough to bring the one they built for Python to Allentown. I know their goal still is to get it built for Pythe and brought to market. I hope they eventually finish that off and do in fact bring it to market. I'm definitely in on one.
    Pinball Circus was Python's baby and dream machine. What great friends to try and complete a fellow friend's dream. And what an awesome and super fun pin to play.
    Anyway, have a great day all and keep flippin!

You make good points, I just have a visceral reaction when I see that name, my bad. Let's let it go and hoist one to the memory of Python and all he did for pinball art and design. peace.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The bride coming alive is a true Pinball Moment™

And is the only real reason I keep her… the turning head strikes a chord with players… seasoned or not. The day I bought her, since she was the nicest one at auction that day, the auction house roadies kept playing her over and over… there were TZ’s just feet away and these dudes just kept playing Bride. I asked why. It was the Billionaire Club. They were all trying to join the club. Simple as that.

#187 1 year ago

Traded my Ghostbusters premium but still miss it from time to time. The center and side drains were very frustrating but always had fun playing it. Now I play it on my virtual pin.

3405ACDA-C201-4D69-8455-FB0DC6E57966 (resized).jpeg3405ACDA-C201-4D69-8455-FB0DC6E57966 (resized).jpeg

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Traded my Ghostbusters premium but still miss it from time to time. The center and side drains were very frustrating but always had fun playing it. Now I play it on my virtual pin.
    [quoted image]

Its a special game for sure, i dont see myself selling my premium anytime soon.

#189 1 year ago

If Stern was to make any remakes, GB would be near the top of the wishlist.

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

[quoted image]

Just gorgeous even in virtual! Look it even has the official yeti art blades I just installed on mine I love them!

#191 1 year ago

I knew GNR was polarizing but I didn't realize it was this polarizing! Very admittedly, I'm a casual pinball player, and while I'd always wanted to get one, I never really knew which one I specifically wanted until I played the GNR LE on location. To me, it was the perfect marriage of theme and in-game action. And from what limited interaction I've had on these boards (mostly in the safe space/echo chamber of the GNR owners thread), I knew that one of the knocks on it was that it was very multiball-heavy. And that was a selling point to me!

So yeah, I may never be a true pinball purist - and I'm okay with that. But the game I bought (an SE) continues to be fun for me, even after ten months of it being the first and only pin I have. It's entertaining when I want to just rock out and shoot for high scores. It's challenging when I want to try to make it to the super wizard mode (something I've only managed to accomplish once). And maybe being a pinball newbie blinds me to its flaws.

I'd be curious to know what other games someone like me would like, given the above. Even if those other games are polarizing too, I'd love to check them out.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

If Stern was to make any remakes, GB would be near the top of the wishlist.

It's so addicting. Hands you your ass a lot of the time, but when you get a piece of one, it's gone.

#193 1 year ago

I had no idea that people hated Ghost Busters. I knew I hated Guns n Roses, but was surprised so many people agree. The plunge on that thing is like shaking hands with jello.

#194 1 year ago

I just wanted to add that Bride of Pinbot was clearly created by sick perverts.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I had no idea that people hated Ghost Busters. I knew I hated Guns n Roses, but was surprised so many people agree. The plunge on that thing is like shaking hands with jello.

I had no idea that people didn't know people hated ghostbusters. Have I mentioned how much I hate that game?

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I had no idea that people didn't know people hated ghostbusters. Have I mentioned how much I hate that game?

You may have mentioned it once or twice.

It's a fine pin that I neither hate nor particularly love. At some point I'l get bored with it and it will move along just like dozens of others have.

Resized_20230121_185631 (resized).jpegResized_20230121_185631 (resized).jpeg

#197 1 year ago

I thought of another pin that has become divisive in recent years: DE Back to the Future.

For the longest time everyone knew it was a bad but with the recent influx of all the new blood, people are paying waaaay too much money for a game that is not good and doesn't even have MJF on the art. What's worse, is that they are super quick to defend the game and their purchase. Yes, I would want to white knight my game too if I overpaid for a bad game that just has words I like on it!

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I thought of another pin that has become divisive in recent years: DE Back to the Future.

See here I disagree- It's not decisive at all because people buy the pin because of the franchise and everyone knows it.

#199 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

See here I disagree- It's not decisive at all because people buy the pin because of the franchise and everyone knows it.

Well it it devisive because those same people want to defend it as a good game, which it isn't.

#200 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Well it it devisive because those same people want to defend it as a good game, which it isn't.

As someone who has owned over 20 Data East pins in the last 5 years I have not run across a single individual who has defended the pin.

Not one. It is universally panned by everyone.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-polarizing-pin/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.