(Topic ID: 329889)

What is the Most Polarizing Pin? (Now with poll!)

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the most polarizing pin?”

• Guns and Roses (JJP) 50 votes
      18%
    • Ghostbusters (Stern) 80 votes
      29%
    • Total Nuclear Annihilation (Spooky) 14 votes
      5%
    • Dialed In (JJP) 8 votes
      3%
    • Beatles (Stern) 10 votes
      4%
    • The Hobbit (JJP) 7 votes
      3%
    • Halloween (Spooky) 20 votes
      7%
    • The Walking Dead (Stern) 2 votes
      1%
    • Black Knight 2000 (Williams) 0 votes
    • X-Men (Stern) 4 votes
      1%
    • Led Zeppelin, any version (Stern) 24 votes
      9%
    • Toy Story 4 (JJP) 27 votes
      10%
    • Dr Who (Bally) 1 vote
    • Twilight Zone (Bally) 13 votes
      5%
    • World Poker Tour (Stern) 3 votes
      1%
    • Orbiter 1 (Stern Classic) 6 votes
      2%
    • Stargate (Gottilieb) 1 vote
    • Revenge from Mars (Bally) 8 votes
      3%

(278 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230129_221256 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20230121_185631 (resized).jpeg
    3405ACDA-C201-4D69-8455-FB0DC6E57966 (resized).jpeg
    43E85C4B-C3D0-4D85-A1D7-53D5623F70D0 (resized).jpeg
    thats-damn-good-thats-good.gif
    0A133B94-4190-4403-9D0A-1912199D3F66 (resized).jpeg
    image-2 (1) (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220116_040420 (resized).jpg
    9C6EA529-F641-4A2F-89F1-6C8FEA9D30F9 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-01-24-10-08-19-18 (resized).png
    teeheehee.jpg
    polar (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 1 year ago

What do you think the most polarizing pinball machine is? The pin people are most likely to either love or hate with no room in the middle? I just traded a Guns and Roses for a Total Nuclear Annihilation. I personally would think TNA is more polarizing, but would also put games like Haloween and G&R on that list. What game do you see people either loving or hating with no room inbetween?

#2 1 year ago

Thunderbirds
    Either you don’t like it or own one and have to pretend you like it

#3 1 year ago

“Punchy The Clown” - LTG

#4 1 year ago
    #5 1 year ago

Data East

#7 1 year ago

It's gota be GNR. I got it just outside my top 300 but there are still many ppl (not as many as there used to be) that think it's the goat because of the "experience". TS4 lately but not for me that's just a price and liscencing issue. I don't think ppl hate the game.

#8 1 year ago

I did not even think of that, it does seem to bring the haters out in droves for some reason.

Awesome theme, well executed with almost all movie assets, chuck loaded with mechs and all I hear is...

"flipper gap"

Play better. Clearly you have never played a Gottlieb EM where the flipper gab is about a mile apart.

#9 1 year ago

My favorite game I cant get my hands on.

#10 1 year ago

I agree, plus add Beatles. People either love or hate the modern single level games.

I also get the same vibe from the CGC remakes.

#11 1 year ago

People love to shit on jjp games .
    The one that cops the most is The Hobbit .
    People come up with stuff like , there's nothing in it . lol

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

It's gota be GNR. I got it just outside my top 300 but there are still many ppl (not as many as there used to be) that think it's the goat because of the "experience". TS4 lately but not for me that's just a price and liscencing issue. I don't think ppl hate the game.

You could make the case that just about every JJP game ties for the top spot based on some combination of factors - initial release, complicated code, lack of code updates, theme integration, theme in general, price, mechanical issues, playfield issues, callouts, and flipper feel. There hasn't been one homerun release yet that hasn't resulted in an ongoing Montague/Capulet war between the diehard fanboys and the unapologetic haters.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I agree, plus add Beatles. People either love or hate the modern single level games.

I dislike Beatles because I despise the band, number of levels has nothing to do with it.

I had two older brothers who played them endlessly, I'd rather stab out my ears with a ballpoint pen than listen to a Beatles song again.

#14 1 year ago

Oh, and just to get the Dad joke out of the way, North Pole and North Star to answer the thread title.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Oh, and just to get the Dad joke out of the way, North Pole and North Star to answer the thread title.

To get the Dad-who-works-on-electronics joke out of the way, the most polarizing pin would be the one that's cut off so the Molex key fits in that spot.

#16 1 year ago

Halloween. And maybe Spooky in general

#17 1 year ago

I feel like Black Knight 2000 should be on this list (great game... fight me).

#18 1 year ago

Twd or maybe dialed in.

Btw i really dislike both.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I know a handful of people who have owned and disliked the game. Their argument is that it’s too right flipper heavy and it gets tiring. Also at todays price point there are many other games that offer way more depth. Personally I enjoy it and respect the BK legacy, but have no interest in owning.

#20 1 year ago

Doodle bug / dipsy doodle

#21 1 year ago

Possibly X-Men. The people like me who bought it early NIB and dealt with all of the mechanical issues and terrible code, vs later owners who seem to like it.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I did not even think of that, it does seem to bring the haters out in droves for some reason.
    Awesome theme, well executed with almost all movie assets, chuck loaded with mechs and all I hear is...
    "flipper gap"
    Play better. Clearly you have never played a Gottlieb EM where the flipper gab is about a mile apart.

Has nothing to do with flipper gap. Infuriating random drains. Crappy Dwight rules. Otherwise could have been great. Most Ghostbusters owners I know don’t care about “play better” but are in the “isn’t it pretty” and “I got that neat cheat post” crowd.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Lol yup, same goes with Toy Story 4. I guess some people don't count, or purposely want to ignore, any mechs and toys that exist under or directly flat on a playfield. Subways, spinning disks, magnets, pop up mechs, jump ramps, etc. It's crazy how many people ignore those mechs and simply say "There's nothing in the game"...They do so though to fit a narrative. Nearly all of those same people saying that crap about JJP games ignore Stern doing the same thing or even praise similar games.

#24 1 year ago

Led Zeppelin Premium/LE.

But may be a slow burn like TWD.

#25 1 year ago

I have my moments with BSD.

Play all night can’t get 10 million ready to push it off the balcony. Next night I’m putting up GC score.

#26 1 year ago

"Magnet-tron"?

#27 1 year ago

Twilight Zone. There. At least somebody mentioned the elephant in the room.

#28 1 year ago

Dr. Who

Fuck that game!

#29 1 year ago

Its definitely got to be ghostbusters. That game is pure trash but it brings out the copers and white knights in droves if you say anything about their terrible game

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Twd or maybe dialed in.
    Btw i really dislike both.

I Iove TWD and Dialed In. Also X-Men!
    Dislike BK2K and Dr. who.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Its definitely got to be ghostbusters. That game is pure trash but it brings out the copers and white knights in droves if you say anything about their terrible game

The thing about GB is it is the one pinball machine that everyone LOVES to HATE… so it’s a dichotomy and an enigma and a paradox all rolled into one.

#32 1 year ago

Anyone who doesn’t respect his own manhood and disrespects the BK, be it OG, 2k, or SOR will most likely wake up dead some morning with a claymore in his chest… or so I’ve heard him chortle at those who dare challenge his knighthood… much less his manhood.

#33 1 year ago

BK2000 is the best game if you only have one hand to play.

#34 1 year ago

My vote would be for whatever pin was the most recently revealed/announced. Talk about polarizing comments.

But if we are talking one specific pin, it would be JJP GNR. That thing is a complete turd that has been dubbed an "experience" by whoever still owns one.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

The thing about GB is it is the one pinball machine that everyone LOVES to HATE… so it’s a dichotomy and an enigma and a paradox all rolled into one.

I voted GB, but I don't believe that Love and Hate are mutually exclusive. Love the game. Hate the cheap drains. Love that I hate the cheap drains. Hate that I love the game, because I play it so much and then make myself miserable....then I have a great game and I'm euphoric.

Compared to AC/DCpro. Also cheap drains. Loved the music...but after that it was just hate, hate, hate and fastest game ever to leave my collection. Guess I just didn't 'get it'. (Or maybe mine wasn't setup right, SDTM drains from successful bell shots, infuriating) So, I'll throw AC/DCpro up as a polarizing pin.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

BK2000 is the best game if you only have one hand to play.

Lol, I think it is a top 10 system 11, but what cracked me up is when I rebuilt the flippers. The mech on the left was like new. Every component was completely shot on the right mech.

#37 1 year ago

Kings of Right Target (Steel.) Or perhaps, Ready Aim Fire.

#38 1 year ago

Until Ghostbusters got that massive update years later to fix the game, people HATED it.

Perhaps WWE or X-men could be considered polarizing, but GB always brought on huge arguments in threads. Halloween is the closest we’ve got to GB.

There aren’t many other games that were considered a “dream-theme MUST HAVE” that disappointed so many.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Or perhaps, Ready Aim Fire.

The only game where you can take a bathroom break and not lose your ball?

#40 1 year ago

James Bond 60th. Battle lines have been drawn over the price and design and no one even has the game yet.

#41 1 year ago

GB has love and hate balanced out on either side, leaving it squarely in the middle of the road.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol yup, same goes with Toy Story 4. I guess some people don't count, or purposely want to ignore, any mechs and toys that exist under or directly flat on a playfield. Subways, spinning disks, magnets, pop up mechs, jump ramps, etc. It's crazy how many people ignore those mechs and simply say "There's nothing in the game"...They do so though to fit a narrative. Nearly all of those same people saying that crap about JJP games ignore Stern doing the same thing or even praise similar games.

The Hobbit is loaded in the same way a 1980'S bally is. I'm sure some people love it and that is great, I like some games that are generally disliked. But in general TH is a modern widebody single level game with strange symmetry and nothing to shoot much at other than drops and pop ups which just lead to 30 minute multiballs. Nothing wrong with liking it, owning it, etc. It's pretty easy to see and understand why others don't like it though so I don't really get why people race to the defense of games like it. It's a prime example of a big swing and miss.

#43 1 year ago

I don't think Bond 60 is very polarizing. Almost everyone agrees its A. too expensive B. is probably going to be a lot of fun to play.

#44 1 year ago

#world-poker-tour's gameplay and art split players into pretty distinct camps. Pretty rare to find someone who completely loves both.

I've been surprised with how many players I've talked to lately that dislike TRON: Legacy (Pro), but it can be a pretty mean game so maybe I'm the outlier. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Pro) also seems to fall into that camp. The Avengers: Infinity Quest (pro) and Star Wars (Pro) rulesets are big hills to climb until you eventually start enjoying yourself (if ever...)

I can understand some of the gripes with Road Show -- especially the linear code -- but I could never find it in my heart to hate a pin with an actual member of the Carter family cracking jokes with Tim Kitzrow.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from astro_judge:

...Star Wars (Pro) rulesets are big hills to climb until you eventually start enjoying yourself (if ever...)

Those are mental barriers to cross; there's nothing that deep to SW.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Those are mental barriers to cross; there's nothing that deep to SW.

Agreed, but I still think it's part of what pushes the game into Love It or Hate It territory for most players

#47 1 year ago

Maybe a poll is in order? I think that HWN, JJP GnR, and GB are the very clear contenders. I have seen plenty of people claim that each of these is one of the worst or one of the best.

#49 1 year ago

Stern 'Orbitor 1'

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Maybe a poll is in order? I think that HWN, JJP GnR, and GB are the very clear contenders. I have seen plenty of people claim that each of these is one of the worst or one of the best.

My vote is for Ghostbusters, that opened up the posting floodgates in a hurry.

The funny thing is I could not even think of a pin that was particularly bad as people have different tastes.

Lots of guys hate Data East though so had to throw that out there.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-polarizing-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.