(Topic ID: 41739)

What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?

By RobT

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SCpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?”

• Medieval Madness 62 votes
    10%
  • Twilight Zone 48 votes
    8%
  • Attack from Mars 43 votes
    7%
  • Monster Bash 38 votes
    6%
  • Lord of the Rings 43 votes
    7%
  • The Addams Family 77 votes
    13%
  • Spider Man 49 votes
    8%
  • Theatre of Magic 98 votes
    16%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 136 votes
    23%

(594 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bump.gif
images.jpeg
images.jpeg
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

For me, for all the reasons to consider TOTAN overrated, one can say similar things about Tron.

No, one can't.

Well, I mean, one could say it. It just wouldn't be true.

#152 11 years ago

Pinheads will like different pins and think some are overatted it's the spice of life. I happen to love TOTAN for the layout, magnets, and art. I also really enjoy the wizard mode with no auto plunger with 4 in play gets hectic. That said, I do understand that not all pinheads will like it. No matter how good the arguments are made on either side some will love it some will hate it just the way it is.

#153 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Tron and TOTAN remind me a lot of each other in the sense that I find them BOTH beautiful with great sounds, theme, and art, but simple gameplay features (spinning disk, spinning lamp). In fact, TOTAN has more mechanical gimmickry than Tron, with the Genie magnet dropping the ball beneath playfield and the shooting star cage. But the spinning lamp is imbalancing in terms of scoring.
Still, from a gameplay perspective, for being initially strikingly different in appearance, there are still simlarities between the two relative to other pins.
For me, for all the reasons to consider TOTAN overrated, one can say similar things about Tron.

Last time I checked Tron wasnt in the top 10.

#154 11 years ago

I can't decide bec to me there all so different and pins I truly enjoyed playing in those years where great pins came out. They all still hold up today.

#155 11 years ago

All of them!

#156 11 years ago

What he said. None are worth over $3K in my book,& I've never paid more than that. If you could find one NIB it would be worth more,but not for a used,20 year old machine.

#157 11 years ago

Just cannot get into TAF. Probably because it owns me, but nevertheless..

#158 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

What he said. None are worth over $3K in my book,& I've never paid more than that. If you could find one NIB it would be worth more,but not for a used,20 year old machine.

This thread has nothing to do with the pins value.

Nothing.

#159 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

This thread has nothing to do with the pins value.
Nothing.

I could be wrong, but I think he's trying to justify his purchase of WOZ. At least judging by his screen name, I think that's what he's doing. Especially with the whole, NIB reference. Not sure why he would bother, it's his money, he can do as he please.

#160 11 years ago

After the first 445 votes, the new top 9 interpreted by me...

1 (tie) AFM MB
3 LOTR
4 TZ
5 SM
6 MM
7 TAF
8 TOM
9 TOTAN

And the REAL #1...

AVENGERS!!

#161 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

Yeah.....and same goes for old classic cars. I means jeez they are old and used and could never ever be worth more than when they rolled off the lot.....that would be crazy I tell you.

#162 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

After the first 445 votes, the new top 9 interpreted by me...
1 (tie) AFM MB
3 LOTR
4 TZ
5 SM
6 MM
7 TAF
8 TOM
9 TOTAN

Not too many surprises to me.

Although I am definitely surprised (in a good way) that MB didn't get more votes than it did. It just seems that I read so many posts here by people saying it's so easy, overrated, boring, etc that I though it might get a lot of votes. Turns out it is currently tied for fewest votes of any pin in the Top 10, so most people here really don't think of it as being highly overrated (at least to the same extent as others in the top 10).

LOTR has put up a very good showing as well, showing that it's current spot at number 5 doesn't bother a significant number of people.

MM is middle of the road, completely expected. It's number one, and it's expensive. People will hold that against it (even though price shouldn't be considered). Not saying everyone who voted for it did it for that reason, but I know it still happened.

#163 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not too many surprises to me.
Although I am definitely surprised (in a good way) that MB didn't get more votes than it did. It just seems that I read so many posts here by people saying it's so easy, overrated, boring, etc that I though it might get a lot of votes. Turns out it is currently tied for fewest votes of any pin in the Top 10, so most people here really don't think of it as being highly overrated (at least to the same extent as others in the top 10).
LOTR has put up a very good showing as well, showing that it's current spot at number 5 doesn't bother a significant number of people.
MM is middle of the road, completely expected. It's number one, and it's expensive. People will hold that against it (even though price shouldn't be considered). Not saying everyone who voted for it did it for that reason, but I know it still happened.

I'm surprised AFM did as well as it did. Not because of my personal opinion, but to me it seems like it garners a lot of "I don't get it," "empty playfield," and "nothing going on" posts. But here it did better than MM. Way to go AFM!

#164 11 years ago

SM....its a good game but not a great game (as in a top 10 great game). MM doesn't wow me as a top 10 either (it's good but not one of the top 10 best ever)

#165 11 years ago

No Concise consensus....I guess that why they make so many games. There is always something for everyone!

#166 11 years ago

totan is the most overrated piece of crap ive ever played

#167 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

SM....its a good game but not a great game (as in a top 10 great game). MM doesn't wow me as a top 10 either (it's good but not one of the top 10 best ever)

This is funny to me as you have Avatar rated at a 9.1+ in your top 10
(but SM & MM are not top 10?)
Sorry but Avatar doesnt make my top 50... to each his own i guess, i just prefer to not
have $1.99 Toys R US Ken Dolls on my play field

#168 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

i just prefer to not
have $1.99 Toys R US Ken Dolls on my play field

You might find it hard to get people round these parts to agree with you these days

#169 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Although I am definitely surprised (in a good way) that MB didn't get more votes than it did.

Quoted from RobT:

so most people here really don't think of it as being highly overrated

While your statement is correct for this poll, I don't think you could draw that conclusion.

What if every person who voted for TotAN would have voted for MB, but they felt that TotAN deserved it more? i.e., I don't think the poll can really generate any data beyond the initial question of which title in the top ten is most over rated.

Personally, I voted for ToM. My next choice would have been TotAN, my third choice would have been MB.

Now back to your MB lovin'

#170 11 years ago
Quoted from darkfaith:

totan is the most overrated piece of crap ive ever played

But you give it praise and rate it higher than AFM and MB.

Credibility of your post = ZERO

#171 11 years ago

edit -please delete

#172 11 years ago

The entire list is very over rated. If you have that list you are one bored pinball playa'....

Bill

#174 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Turns out it is currently tied for fewest votes of any pin in the Top 10, so most people here really don't think of it as being highly overrated (at least to the same extent as others in the top 10).

This conclusion is correct.
RobT- I think you were "short quoted" earlier.

#175 11 years ago

I'd go with TOTAN. Outside of World Cup, John P.'s games aren't my favorites. If CV was on there, that would have won the pick. TOM is my 2nd favorite John P. game.

#176 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

This conclusion is correct.

I dont believe you can draw that conclusion from that data.

I'm no mathalete by any stretch, but if every one of those people who voted for TotAN believes that MB would be their second pick for most over rated, that conclusion goes out the window.

The only way to draw a conclusion regarding any other machine listed (besides TotAN being the most over rated), would be to have a 'rating' poll with all machines listed.

It's just math. I think.

#177 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I dont believe you can draw that conclusion from that data.

I'm no mathalete by any stretch, but if every one of those people who voted for TotAN believes that MB would be their second pick for most over rated, that conclusion goes out the window.

The only way to draw a conclusion regarding any other machine listed (besides TotAN being the most over rated), would be to have a 'rating' poll with all machines listed.

It's just math. I think.

You need to read the entire statement.

Quoted from RobT:

at least to the same extent as others in the top 10

#178 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

You need to read the entire statement.

The only conclusion you could draw would be 'to the same extent as TotAN'. Unless you believe if we pulled TotAN from the poll and left the rest, and voted again, the results would be identical.

#179 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

So there would be a rating poll of a rating poll.

#180 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

So there would be a rating poll of a rating poll.

Correct

#181 11 years ago

I think MM is the most overrated, then TOTAN and SM.

#182 11 years ago

List?

#183 11 years ago

What list?

#184 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

The only conclusion you could draw would be 'to the same extent as TotAN'. Unless you believe if we pulled TotAN from the poll and left the rest, and voted again, the results would be identical.

Opinion poll's conclusions are statistical based. ----Mathematical science, not Mathematics.

#185 11 years ago

It's just math. I think.

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#186 11 years ago

#187 11 years ago

Tough choice between ToM and ToTAN. Pretty games but no where near as fun to play and long lasting as something like AFM or Spiderman.

1 year later
#188 9 years ago

Time to bump this bad boy!

When I posted this thread nearly a year and half ago, I thought TAF was the most overrated pin in the Top 10 followed closely by TOTAN. I would now definitely put TOTAN in front of TAF in terms of being overrated.

Edit: and yes, I realize that the current top 10 list is different now, with AC/DC rightfully coming in at number 5!

bump.gifbump.gif

#189 9 years ago

TOTAN got rid of it long ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Wanted
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-overrated-pin-on-the-pinside-top-10-list/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.