(Topic ID: 41739)

What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?

By RobT

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SCpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?”

• Medieval Madness 62 votes
    10%
  • Twilight Zone 48 votes
    8%
  • Attack from Mars 43 votes
    7%
  • Monster Bash 38 votes
    6%
  • Lord of the Rings 43 votes
    7%
  • The Addams Family 77 votes
    13%
  • Spider Man 49 votes
    8%
  • Theatre of Magic 98 votes
    16%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 136 votes
    23%

(594 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bump.gif
images.jpeg
images.jpeg
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 11 years ago

do the majority of people tend to rate pins higher that are easier to play(at least before they become bord with it since its so easy)? and rate pins lower that are hard which they have a hard time getting a good game on?

just wondering since i've heard people say how easy some of the higher ranked games are, and the lower ranked games where people get their a$$es handed them i hear, "that game sucked i couldnt hit anything".

honest question, don't lynch me...

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

That sounds very reasonWAIT...WHAT?!?

Most people don't play tournament style in their homes. Most people don't grab a whirlwind machine and get psyched aboot ripping out the center post and killing EBs. Tons of games they would never put in tournament play that people like.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

do the majority of people tend to rate pins higher that are easier to play(at least before they become bord with it since its so easy)? and rate pins lower that are hard which they have a hard time getting a good game on?

It's a far question. Mix match of all diff'rent types. I'll make myself play a game quite a bit before I rate it...other play once rate it whatever and move on.

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

LOTR i have played alot and just do not like the pin at all.... want to like it but cant. even passed on an le at a good price, does nothing for me

Pretty much feel the same way.

#105 11 years ago

This is a great poll, becuase I think everyone looks at the top ten and thinks "why the hell is that up there??".
For me(and apparently I'm not alone), it's TOTAN. It always seems like such a chore when I'm playing it. And the creepy blue genie I can do without.
The only part of the rankings that surprised me is the high total of MM. I also kind of felt it was over-hyped, but I thought I was the only one.

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

just wondering since i've heard people say how easy some of the higher ranked games are, and the lower ranked games where people get their a$$es handed them i hear, "that game sucked i couldnt hit anything".

It probably happens WAY more than it should. Walk up to a pin for the first time and get a huge score and you are going to walk away with a smile on your face. Own the pin and do that almost every time you play it and you will soon bash it for being too easy.

Vise versa; Play a game a few times and have it hand you your ass and you're not going to be to thrilled with it (especially if you're a paying customer). But....IMHO it will make a much better pin to own and your appreciation of will grow over time as you figure it out.

Now.....all that being said I traded LOTR for HS2 and WCS

But my reasoning was that while LOTR is super deep and extremely difficult to finish.....it's also rather easy in terms of having VERY long ball times. The games were just lasting to long (for me) on average and I began to avoid it because I didn't want to commit the time.

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

MM is NOT about bashing the castle. There is a whole lot more going on there.

Yeah, its about bashing bank accounts.

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from bowz:

For me(and apparently I'm not alone), it's TOTAN. It always seems like such a chore when I'm playing it. And the creepy blue genie I can do without.

Last time I played it, it was a chore to reach down and
turn the power off after I let the first ball drain.

#109 11 years ago

AFM all the way. TOTAN? GIVE ME A BREAK!

#110 11 years ago

I've tried and tried and tried. Just can't get into TZ. Others love it and I respect that, but I just don't like it. Too bad, since I am such a fan of the original series and have the complete box set.

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

AFM all the way. TOTAN? GIVE ME A BREAK!

One break, coming up!

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

I've tried and tried and tried. Just can't get into TZ. Others love it and I respect that (...)

Same for me, but I understand why others may love it, and to my humble opinion it deserves to stay in a "global" top 10. But TOTAN? I thought it was a joke. Had to verify on Pinside rankings it was actually top 10. Unbelievable.

#113 11 years ago

I would go Lord of the Rings. but the machine at the arcade near me is in bad shape so maybe thats why I am choosing it. I would say after that it is TOTAN. I love it but if it had to bump one out that would be it.

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most people don't play tournament style in their homes. Most people don't grab a Whirlwind machine and get psyched aboot ripping out the center post and killing EBs. Tons of games they would never put in tournament play that people like.

The competitive community is where a game's design quality, in almost every genre of game and not just pinball, is put to the test. If a game is unbalanced or contains wonky/broken rules or behavior, the competitive players will sniff it out and expose it.

Joe "I Don't Like Tournaments/I Never Play Outside" Blow who enjoys just slapping the ball around is entitled to his personal list of what is or is not fun, but contrary to popular opinion: quality gameplay design is not subjective. It's a carefully crafted composite of risk/reward.

Can unbalanced and broken games also be fun? Yes, but are they good? The quantitative element used to answer that question is in the game design (deep breath) AND that game design is best broken down and analyzed by the competitive side of the community.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

Joe "I Don't Like Tournaments/I Never Play Outside" Blow who enjoys just slapping the ball around is entitled to his personal list of what is or is not fun, but contrary to popular opinion: quality gameplay design is not subjective. It's a carefully crafted composite of risk/reward.

Agree to disagree.

#116 11 years ago

I don't rate a pin until I've played it enough to understand the rules at least partially. I also rate on fun factor, if I find a machine too easy to score on it's boring. The best pins for me are like my whirlwind in that I'm always having games where I finish one shot away from doing something and want to play another game.

#117 11 years ago
Quoted from rmancini:

I would go Lord of the Rings. but the machine at the arcade near me is in bad shape so maybe thats why I am choosing it. I would say after that it is TOTAN. I love it but if it had to bump one out that would be it.

I think a lot of people base ratings on playing a shitty working version of the pin. Can't judge a pin without 100% working and awesome flippers, that makes me hate the game right there is flippers suck.

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree.

What machine was he referring to that was overrated?

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What machine was he referring to that was overrated?

TOTAN

#120 11 years ago

Quality games are best defined by quality play. Put a Hundee on the lock bar if you think you can back it up. You can disagree if you'd like to. I'll agree to take your hundred bucks! HA!

#121 11 years ago

MB. Its good, don't get me wrong, but I've gotten bored of it quicker than the other ones on the list.

#122 11 years ago

Lets have a TOTAN competition, then we can see who can fart the loudest!

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lets have a TOTAN competition, then we can see who can fart the loudest!

I'll warn you I've on some heavy fiber the last week and a lot of meat. Bring it on!

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree.

Same here, and it's fine. Just making my point...

...and for the record I have no opinion of TOTAN.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

and for the record I have no opinion of TOTAN.

Me neither. If it was my only machine, I would force myself to like it.

#126 11 years ago

I have played maybe 5-6 times in the last 10 years. Tons before that though. Don;t know how I'd feel aboot it if I played it all the time...those things might start bugging me more and more.

#127 11 years ago

I don't think any of them are overrated, honestly.

#128 11 years ago

What do I know, anyway. I like Twister. It was 17 years ago they dropped a TOTAN next to Twister, and I threw in some money. It just bores me. I guess I just like my spinner going fast.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What do I know, anyway. I like Twister. It was 17 years ago they dropped a TOTAN next to Twister, and I threw in some money. It just bores me. I guess I just like my spinner going fast.

OK. WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE TOTAN!!!!

#131 11 years ago

It's really interesting to see how the results of the poll can change as more votes come in.

LOTR previously had the least number of votes (and is still near the least), but now MB has fewer votes than any pin listed, meaning the fewest number of people think it is the most overrated pin in the Top 10.

MM has gone up in votes. Any pin that is rated number 1 is going to take a hit just because it's number 1. Combine that with the price that this pin commands, and I'm sure it took some additional hits for that (even though it wasn't supposed to be considered).

Even though I indicated that I thought TOTAN was one of the most overrated pins, I had never really got the impression that so many other people were of that same opinion. Same thing with TAF. So the two pins that I listed as the most overrated in my initial post are currently number 1 and 2. Very interesting results so far.

Quoted from pinstyle:

Excellent question.

I think this will come down to what kind of player someone is. As seen by the recent thread How Good of a Player Are You?, most of the people who responded consider themselves to be pretty average to poor players.

If you really aren't good at pinball, it makes sense that you would be more inclined to rate the easier/longer ball time pins higher than the drain monsters like IM, BSD, or AC/DC.

If you are a better player and like the challenging pins that keep you on your toes, you would probably tend to vote the other way.

Great point.

Quoted from tamoore:

OK. WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE TOTAN!!!!

I don't know about not liking (I'd like to own TOTAN...for awhile anyway, just not at current pricing), but based on the results of this thread/poll, he isn't the only one who thinks it's overrated by a longshot.

I'm waiting for the prices on TOTANs to come back to reality.

#132 11 years ago

TOTAN > TZ

Thats it! You and me are wrestling when we meet!!!!!

// Error: Image 78360 not found //

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Thats it! You and me are wrestling when we meet!!!!!

Ha! I've tried many times to let TZ into my pin heart, but to no avail. I'm cool with TAF though.

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

he isn't the only one who thinks it's overrated by a longshot.

Yeah, but if you went by my opinion, I'd have Gladiators, TFTC, CFTBL, and Breakshot, well above games like TZ or Spiderman. Maybe the owners of these machines don't feel an urgency to actually rate them.

#135 11 years ago

I know CV isn't in the poll because it's not top 10, but the other two top JPOP games are the leaders. But I would bet if CV were in the top 10 and included in the poll, it would still receive less votes than the other two. Kinda funny that way.

#136 11 years ago
Quoted from GreyScale:

MB. Its good, don't get me wrong, but I've gotten bored of it quicker than the other ones on the list.

I enjoy mine even when it's turned off.

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I know CV isn't in the poll because it's not top 10, but the other two top JPOP games are the leaders. But I would bet if CV were in the top 10 and included in the poll, it would still receive less votes than the other two. Kinda funny that way.

I'd rather have a CV than either of the others on the list...

#138 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I was actually surprised to see that CV wasn't on the Pinside top 10. I agree, CV would get less votes. Maybe we should do a poll of the most popular game by JPOP? It would be interesting if the game not in the top10 wins.

#139 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Quoted from tamoore:

I'd rather have a CV than either of the others on the list...

I would definitely agree. CV is a much better playing pin than either of the two JPop pins that are in the Top 10, and the software is much better as well.

CV *will* make its way back into my lineup at some point.

Quoted from Honch:

I enjoy mine even when it's turned off.

Ha! So true!

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

It would be interesting if the game not in the 10 ten wins.

I think it would. i just think it's regarded by many as the more fun game. I own TOM and CV, and to me it's no contest between the two.

Quoted from RobT:

and the software is much better as well.

I agree. And I think this is one of the reasons why many people favor it.

#141 11 years ago

I only like half of the ones listed.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from Breadfan:

I only like half of the ones listed.

4.5 titles you like?

#143 11 years ago

Take Spiderman off the top 10 list. The rest are great.

#144 11 years ago

Man, this is a toss up between LOTR and TOM for me. I love Popadiuk games, but I have to agree with most everything that has been said about TOM here. TOM truly is incomplete, and the wizard mode is weak. Which is shocking given that the other games from Popadiuk are much more advanced in this area. At the end of the day though, I just dont get LOTR at all. I truly think its just up there because people like LOTR and that gives it a +10 instantly. If the game was called Legend of the Red Dragon and had the same gameplay, it wouldn't be a top 20 game even. The simple fact that LOTR is rated higher than Spiderman is proof of this in my mind. Spiderman is such a superior game in every way.

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

From a players perspective:MB and MM very shallow and esy to beat; plus their is only so many times you can watch the castle getting destroyed

How many times have you completed BFTK?? I am batting 20% with 1 in 5 attempts.

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Take spiderman off the top 10 list. The rest are great.

#147 11 years ago

Top 10 vote with only 9 pins?? Who can't count... IJ too good for the cut

#148 11 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Top 10 vote with only 9 pins?? Who can't count... IJ too good for the cut

Jesus. Did you not bother actually reading the first post?

Who can't count?

I've got a better question: who can't read?!

#149 11 years ago

Time for a lot of people to edit their original ratings of pins on this list

#150 11 years ago

Tron and TOTAN remind me a lot of each other in the sense that I find them BOTH beautiful with great sounds, theme, and art, but simple gameplay features (spinning disk, spinning lamp). In fact, TOTAN has more mechanical gimmickry than Tron, with the Genie magnet dropping the ball beneath playfield and the shooting star cage. But the spinning lamp is imbalancing in terms of scoring.

Still, from a gameplay perspective, for being initially strikingly different in appearance, there are still simlarities between the two relative to other pins.

For me, for all the reasons to consider TOTAN overrated, one can say similar things about Tron.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-overrated-pin-on-the-pinside-top-10-list/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.