(Topic ID: 41739)

What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?

By RobT

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 189 posts
  • 97 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SCpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the Most Overrated Pin on the Pinside Top 10 List?”

• Medieval Madness 62 votes
    10%
  • Twilight Zone 48 votes
    8%
  • Attack from Mars 43 votes
    7%
  • Monster Bash 38 votes
    6%
  • Lord of the Rings 43 votes
    7%
  • The Addams Family 77 votes
    13%
  • Spider Man 49 votes
    8%
  • Theatre of Magic 98 votes
    16%
  • Tales of the Arabian Nights 136 votes
    23%

(594 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bump.gif
images.jpeg
images.jpeg
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 11 years ago

The discussion in the "worst pins since 1990" thread made mention of a couple that are listed in the Top 10 list, so I was wondering what pin in the Top 10 people thought was the most overrated?

For me it's Addams Family, followed closely by TOTAN.

I just noticed that there are only 9 options. IJ is rated number 10, so if that is the most overrated in your opinion, mention it in the thread (can a moderator add a tenth option?).

And please do not take cost/value of the pin into account. The Pinside Rankings doesn't take that into account, so don't consider it when voting.

#2 11 years ago

I've played almost all in the top 10 and for me it's ToM. For now...

#3 11 years ago

Tuffy...I might have to go TOTAN. I like it more than TAF but TAF is a solid machine. That's for the top 10 itself.
For position I would go MM. I think AFM alone is a better player.

#4 11 years ago

i was going to vote for TAF but voted for MM, played it 2 weeks ago (again), sorry i couldn't get into it. maybe it was the place or the condition of the machine, i was just not impress about it.

Taf, i really don't understand the big hype about this pin, we had the pin in the office for months.
very repetitive and gets old very fast. it's not a bad game, i just don't understand why it's in the top 10.

#5 11 years ago

As the always tight race between TZ and MM, I voted MM.

#6 11 years ago

34 votes so far and not a single vote for MB yet. Cool.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

34 votes so far and not a single vote for MB yet. Cool.

never played the game, can't find one around here!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I'm not talking to you. You voted for MM!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm not talking to you. You voted for MM!

lolll, sorry.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Could always play it on TPA.

#11 11 years ago

TZ by far for me.

#12 11 years ago

I voted Addams Family, just not a pin I can get into and TZ is such a better Lawler pin. Almost voted TOTAN which is a beautiful pin, but not very deep and the theme wears out on me very quickly.

#13 11 years ago

MB, probably would have gone with Totan but Ive never played it so it got a pass. Great thread Rob!

#14 11 years ago

The continued love/hate relationship over the years with TOTAN and collectors.

I can't say I'm not surprised so far with the results.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

MB, probably would have gone with Totan but Ive never played it so it got a pass. Great thread Rob!

Great thread that you screwed up by voting for MB!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Heresy!

#17 11 years ago

Edit- ^^^^ Ok guy who voted TZ

Great thread that you screwed up by voting for MB!

Face! LOL! LOTR hanging tough like NKOTB!

images.jpegimages.jpeg

#18 11 years ago

Cool thread. For me, Attack From Mars and I have to agree on Addams Family. I just don't get why it is so popular.

#20 11 years ago

Right now AFM has more votes than ToM which I think is insane.

It is good (and not surprising to me) to see TOTAN and TAF leading the voting though.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Right now AFM has more votes than ToM which I think is insane.
It is good (and not surprising to me) to see TOTAN and TAF leading the voting though.

I'm actually surprised you didn't see people use the cost to value ranking approach (that so many use on games like BBB) and hit MM.

#22 11 years ago

The obvious for me is TOTAN. I know this is beating a dead horse, but this is my story and I'm sticking with it. I like machines that rock one way or another and this one just bites my culo. I totally get The Addams Family. While a little primitive as far as DMDs are concerned, and not all that challenging, it is FUN! From the call-outs to the toys, to the reminder of another place in time, it is a feel good machine. FUN! I see four other machines that I would agree are top tenners, but the others you can just cut them up for scrap as far as I'm concerned.

#23 11 years ago

TOM, and I own one. Bad, not at all. Overrated, yes.

#24 11 years ago

I voted MB. It's fun for about a week and then it gets too repetitive and you disable the auto flippers because it's annoying. Not worth the money though the toys are ok and the theme saves the uninspired gameplay/rules.
Next one would be AF and TZ due to my personal dislike for stop and go styled play but the rules are cool.

Sam

#25 11 years ago

MM for sure.

TAF is most underrated

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm actually surprised you didn't see people use the cost to value ranking approach (that so many use on games like BBB) and hit MM.

Well...I told them not to. Maybe they listened? So far, anyway.

#27 11 years ago

LOTR i have played alot and just do not like the pin at all.... want to like it but cant. even passed on an le at a good price, does nothing for me

#28 11 years ago

TOM. Its pretty and all but that is about it.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

LOTR i have played alot and just do not like the pin at all.... want to like it but cant. even passed on an le at a good price, does nothing for me

You are obviously in the minority. LOTR has the fewest votes of any pin in the poll thus far.

#30 11 years ago

and its all opinion based rob...

#31 11 years ago
#32 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

Yeah, but if you don't agree with me your opinion is wrong.

#33 11 years ago

and like the saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.... dont care what pins anyone likes, if i like it i like it. if you like it then you like it. 6 of one, half a dozen of another

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from PinsRfun:

I voted MB. It's fun for about a week and then it gets too repetitive and you disable the auto flippers because it's annoying. Not worth the money though the toys are ok and the theme saves the uninspired gameplay/rules.
Next one would be AF and TZ due to my personal dislike for stop and go styled play but the rules are cool.
Sam

I like the "Phantom Flip"

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

TOM. Its pretty and all but that is about it.

I told you- It needs a shaker!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You are obviously in the minority. LOTR has the fewest votes of any pin in the poll thus far.

I actually love the gameplay and layout of LOTR, but hate the theme...Goblins and Trolls....lame.
Flame away!

#37 11 years ago

I really don't enjoy MB. at all..

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

and like the saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.... dont care what pins anyone likes, if i like it i like it. if you like it then you like it. 6 of one, half a dozen of another

Thats right! I'm not wasting my hard earned cash on some overated piece of shit just so I can have every machine on YOUR list! F@#k that!

#39 11 years ago

TOM, no way it's better than ACDC, TSPP, WH20

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from ebjimmyg:

No shit, Sherlock! All I said was you (your opinion) was in the minority.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Well...I told them not to. Maybe they listened? So far, anyway.

Haha! I didn't listen. I just voted and didn't read your entire intro. Sorry about that!!! I wish I could re-vote...

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Haha! I didn't listen. I just voted and didn't read your entire intro. Sorry about that!!! I wish I could re-vote...

An attorney who doesn't read the fine print! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I actually love the gameplay and layout of LOTR, but hate the theme...Goblins and Trolls....lame.
Flame away!

Not as lame as white trim on a Wh20!

#44 11 years ago

Seeing AC/DC, TSPP and Funhouse out of the top 10 makes me sad... I would therefore remove 3 pins: TOTAN, TOM and... and... that's hard... Indiana Jones (currently #10, but a poll allows only 9 choices!)

#45 11 years ago

TOM,TZ and TAF for sure.

#46 11 years ago

I don't see how TAF and TOM are in the top 10 when CV and ACDC-LE are out of the top 10.

TOM is enormously repetitive. Shoot the outer loops. Hammer the trunk and let the timers expire. Start trunk mutliball. Now you're in wizard mode. The game is the same for me almost every single time (I own TOM and am currently repairing it). I get trunk multiball, midnight madness, and the theater award, and then spend the rest of the game going for illusions and trying to get trap door extra balls. I don't think I've ever gotten all illusions completed before completing the other three main objectives.

The game is not programmed fully either. TOM's main multiball mode has nothing going on at all. You hit the trunk for a jackpot and then shoot the trunk to rotate the trunk back again. Look at the multiball modes in something like MM. Where you have trolls running, stacked madness modes, ability to hit the castle, and even castle multiball with its changing lanes for jackpots. And the wizard mode on MM has multiple stages and it's in multiball. TOM's multiball modes are uninspired and bland compared to almost all other A-level pins.

TOM's wizard mode? Obviously not finished. Grand Finale is awful when you first reach it. Everyone has the same reaction. "That's it?". I was shocked that that was the final mode. Single ball, hit any shot you want on the playfield, and you get the same jackpot callout over and over. "50 million!" Unfinished worked of course just like the moving tiger saw, center post, and other parts on the cabinet.

Comparing Grand Finale to Join the Circus or Battle for the Kingdom shows just how abandoned TOM was during its design phase for the modes. It is maybe the weakest wizard mode in all of pinball. Easily the worst that I've played. That fact that a game with such incomplete hardware and software is in the top ten greatest machines doesn't exactly speak to the quality of pinball machine design compared to other gaming hobbies. I can't believe that there aren't a dozen better pins than TOM.

#47 11 years ago

No brainer.....TOTAN

#48 11 years ago

TOM, then TOTAN

#49 11 years ago

STTNG should be a top 10 pin so, i would pluck TAF out and put it in its place.

#50 11 years ago

No thank you thing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.95
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
$ 18.95
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
$ 9.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 189 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-overrated-pin-on-the-pinside-top-10-list and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.