(Topic ID: 48226)

What is the most difficult pinball to keep the ball in play but is addicting/fun?

By jellomandolin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

For me its devils dare. Looks easy but is hard to complete with mostly short ball times but is super fun.

#3 10 years ago
    #4 10 years ago

I played one game of IM at the Michigan Expo and put up 40 million and put my initials on the board.....on Sunday afternoon. Didn't seem that hard.

Tough question....there are many tough pins out there with rather short ball times but it seems like if you ever own one you eventually figure them out and learn to avoid the pure "sucker shots".

STTNG was a drain monster when I first got it. Those outlanes are brutal. But after a while you figure out just how and when to nudge it to keep that ball in play a little longer.

BSD has a brutal but keeps you coming back reputation.

#5 10 years ago

ac/dc

#6 10 years ago

On SS: Genie
    On EM: Mibs

#7 10 years ago

I'll 2nd BSD. I can play The Shadow and have some nice times/scores, but when I hop over to BSD I sometimes drain before I have a chance to do anything. Of course, when you do get a good run going it makes it all the more rewarding.

#8 10 years ago

IM I would say, but I have a hard time keeping DW balls in play for some reason. Hardest multiball to keep going of all time for me is GE. Satelitte multiball usually lasts about 20 seconds and that's with four balls!!

#9 10 years ago

BSD. Definitely BSD.

Later,
    EV

#10 10 years ago

ACDC!!!!!

#11 10 years ago

The outlanes of ac/dc are a disaster

#12 10 years ago

Lots of people list BSD as a huge drain monster. I've got lightning flippers on mine and never really had much of a problem draining. I still think I have a harder time keeping a ball in play on my DW than BSD. I guess the drain geometry relates better to me or something, because I know I'm definitely in the minority on that and, likewise, probably in the minority of having such a hard time with DW.

#13 10 years ago

Flash Gordon.

There are many other SS games that make even the toughest newer games look tame by comparison. Back in the 80's they really knew how to get a quarter from you in less than a minute of play.

-jim

#14 10 years ago

In this order...IM, AC/DC, and BSD. I've owned all three and they can be brutal!!!

#15 10 years ago

+1. After that...AC/DC

#16 10 years ago

I love fast brutal pins.

In this order for me.

Bsd
    Jm
    IM
    Acdc Pro
    Afm

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

Flash Gordon.
    There are many other SS games that make even the toughest newer games look tame by comparison. Back in the 80's they really knew how to get a quarter from you in less than a minute of play.
    -jim

Quoted from rad:

+1. After that...AC/DC

I'll add my Flash Gordon vote.

This game gives zero f____ about you, and lets you know it every. single. ball. - And yet, the more I play it, the more it secures itself as a permanent part of my collection.

A good game on Flash Gordon will make your mustache grow a little thicker that night (careful ladies!).

#18 10 years ago

Flash Gordon & Paragon come to mind immediately

#19 10 years ago

IMO-No question-IM
    I have my outlanes wide open still-it is worst than STTNG outlanes

Also Avengers-It is a difficult pin

#21 10 years ago

Of what I've been playing recently AC/DC by a mile. Alot more than IM in my experience. I did play a half dozen games of BSD at Pinburgh and they were right quick. Again, quicker than IM. I've had some real fast games on Fish Tales too, but I seem to be better at that one now after playing it more often lately.

#22 10 years ago

Avengers with the outlanes open is another.

#24 10 years ago

RBION when set up correctly or BSD my two favorites

#25 10 years ago

Flash Gordon is the Honey Badger of the pinball world.

For the DMD Generation Bram Stoker's Dracula and Dr. Who will eat you alive. These games are two of the reasons why I believe Barry Oursler is an unrecognized master of pinball design.
    Speaking of Barry Ourlser, two of the fabulous 4 are his. Both Solar Fire and Jungle Lord can be super nasty and punish any mistake (and many successful shots as well). Don't forget Barracora, Comet Cyclone Defender and Cosmic Gunfight , while you are at it.

Other games that have the sado-masochistic balance right are:
    Williams Hot Line. Centurion K is not credited as much as he should be for his designs. Play more Kismet if you need a reminder of his design powers.
    The Shadow
    Gottleib Card Whiz/Royal Flush. Master K put out SO many games that had this balance right that I can't begin to start adding more of his decks to this list.
    Stern Stars and Magic are both Steve Kirk lessons in the balance of pinball skills and drains.
    IF you can find it Sonic's Bird Man will put you in fits.
    1972's Bally Fireball will make you crazy and keep you coming as well. So many of Master Zale's asymmetric 60's and 70's designs will test you. Band Wagon, Gator, Cosmos, the incomparably ugly Vampire will all make you doubt your skills. Finally, 4 million BC will have you cursing burlap sacks for the rest of your life. Special note to his prodigies Jim Patla for Flip Flip and Greg Kmeic with Old Chicago and those pesky pops so close to the flippers. This is something that Game Plan used to their advantage as well.
    For the Premier/ Gottlieb era... Genie (Big O'l Booty) and Victory will make you humble.

For me, if the game does not call out a challenge, I'm not interested in it. I get bored of games that play "easy" or have an exploit on them. There's a many more games on that list as well, but now after all these challenging games have been called out... I gotta go play some more pin.

#26 10 years ago

Avatar seems to fit what you're referring to. IM, as well.

A lot of mention of AC/DC, but I think the Premium actually has rather long ball times. Maybe everyone is talking about the Pro?

#27 10 years ago

Games with a girlie ball saver should be thrown out on principle alone. My vote goes to
    Flash gordon
    Paragon
    Gorgar

Mike

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I played one game of IM at the Michigan Expo and put up 40 million and put my initials on the board.....on Sunday afternoon. Didn't seem that hard.
    Tough question....there are many tough pins out there with rather short ball times but it seems like if you ever own one you eventually figure them out and learn to avoid the pure "sucker shots".
    STTNG was a drain monster when I first got it. Those outlanes are brutal. But after a while you figure out just how and when to Nudge it to keep that ball in play a little longer.
    BSD has a brutal but keeps you coming back reputation.

STTNG is a tough one. I don't find BSD to be that hard, but maybe I'm wrong?

As for IM, it gets a LOT faster if the rear pop up post is disabled.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

I'll add my Flash Gordon vote.
    This game gives zero f____ about you, and lets you know it every. single. ball. - And yet, the more I play it, the more it secures itself as a permanent part of my collection.
    A good game on Flash Gordon will make your mustache grow a little thicker that night (careful ladies!).

Another Flash Gordon vote here. Brutal game but addictive as all get out.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Lots of people list BSD as a huge drain monster. I've got lightning flippers on mine and never really had much of a problem draining.

All how it's set up. I played Cointakers BSD this weekend and I couldn't give a ball away.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from joestro78:

On SS: Genie
    On EM: Mibs

oh yea... mibs (along with a few others from that era) can be REAL mean to the player... those games separate the men from the boys... when you beat those games, you earned it... which made them addicting, since, darnit, i KNOW i can beat it with one more dime...

#33 10 years ago

BSD!!!! No doubt about it.

#34 10 years ago

Out of everything I have owned and played, NF, ACDC would be close though.

NF doesn't allow you to have any control other than the upper ramp shot. Miss and you're F'd.

#35 10 years ago

Bsd !!! Without question

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-most-difficult-pinball-to-keep-the-ball-in-play-but-is-addictingfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.