Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 213 posts
  • 98 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by superNoid
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1971Winnie (resized).jpg
    maxtaco (resized).jpg
    hqdefault_copy_large.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_0545 (resized).jpeg
    There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 7 months ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I was thinking the exact opposite, buying a pile of games when I retire because I'd finally have time to work on them and play them all.

Spend rhat cash before you retire!
    I bogutb a GZ Prem right before this last kid was born because I won't have any cash after.

#152 7 months ago

While my wife and I had a couple of really good years financially(and Im extremely grateful for that), we never made all that much before. For me personally, its all about priorities. Cars are paid off and most people I know have $500-$1500 (or more)in car payments. My brother lives in the same town and they have a new jeep wrangler and a maserati.(probably $2k in payments) Im happy with my CRV to haul pins With over $1000 there and other changes to lifestyle, affording a new pin or 2 every year is within reach for some that thought "they couldnt afford it" everyones situation is different of course, but any of us who have a couple of pins or more are definitely in a better position than most of the world quite honestly. Also, enjoy what you have is solid advice for this overpriced hobby or learn how to tinker.

Heres an article to help with this perspective... https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2023/9/15/23874111/charity-philanthropy-americans-global-rich
    I am not a financial expert, just a pinhead who takes care of his family and loves this hobby

#153 7 months ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Glad I got my games when they were cheap, or at least compared to today's prices. I bought and sold another 600 pins over the years that I've paid for my collection twice over. Basically I have nothing in them at this point. It's my 401K sitting here.
    John

lol

#154 7 months ago
    Quoted from adol75:

I was thinking the exact opposite, buying a pile of games when I retire because I'd finally have time to work on them and play them all.

Well, I'd still like some games, maybe just a smaller pile..........

#155 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

This has always been my mentality too, until very recently.
    I sold 5 games in the past few weeks and paid off a large debt. I've owned most of my remaining "A" list games for over 20 years. I could sell a few more games, pay off virtually every debt I have, and just play the other games. Sometimes I feel like I'm only holding onto the 90's B/W games because they're like family members at this point.
    As I approach retirement age in 2 years, I'm finding I dont want to keep a stable of 20 - 25 games running, it's not easy. Maybe sell off the ones I've had forever and start working on a couple of the restoration projects I have tucked away, whittle this thing down to ten games or so.

No debt.
    If possible eliminate the debt.

#156 7 months ago

It's not hard to understand the mindset:

1. I want a pinball machine and the cost is $10K to own it.
    2. I have 10K to spend on a pinball machine or am willing to use credit for it.
    3. A seller is willing to sell me the pinball machine for $10K.

That's really all that is needed to make the equation work. It may not work for you, but it works for someone.

Now a lot of people on this forum can justify it easily with other factors:

1. Even though I spend $10K, I can still get a lot of that money out of it when I sell it and have fun in the meantime.
    2. I can sell other pinballs to finance that $10K. Many of us bought machines at prices that allow us to make a tidy profit on them now. I just sold a game I bought NIB 16 years ago for more than I paid for it.

I could spend $10K on a pin but really can't justify that cost unless I fund it by selling from my existing collection (I'm currently downsizing towards retirement).

A lot of us are willing to save in other areas so we can afford pinball. I don't eat out much. I don't drink. I don't buy a lot of clothes/shoes. I'm driving a 11 year old car that'll I drive until the wheels fall off. I don't splurge on the latest cell phone or any jewelry. I have no debt. My house may be more than I need but I bought it 15 years ago.

#157 7 months ago

I had booked a lux cruise in a huge suite for my wife and myself. We decided to cancel. Instead, I took $10k of that $14k cruise and said F it....I'm finally buying that pin, as I've wanted to own one since I was a little kid 50+ years ago. So I got my NIB GZ and put the extra $4k in my pocket toward the next one.

#158 7 months ago
    Quoted from CapeCodPin:

I had booked a lux cruise in a huge suite for my wife and myself. We decided to cancel. Instead, I took $10k of that $14k cruise and said F it....I'm finally buying that pin, as I've wanted to own one since I was a little kid 50+ years ago. So I got my NIB GZ and put the extra $4k in my pocket toward the next one.

Well done! Cruises are overrated....basically a floating Golden Corral.

#159 7 months ago

in small town Wisconsin?

#160 7 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Lol...this cruise would have been epic, a 2500 sq. foot suite, fully half the entire beam of the ship on the aft of the ship. Butler service, unlimited everything. But all I'd have now is a memory instead of a machine I play multiple times daily.

#161 7 months ago
    Quoted from CapeCodPin:

Lol...this cruise would have been epic, a 2500 sq. foot suite, fully half the entire beam of the ship on the aft of the ship. Butler service, unlimited everything. But all I'd have now is a memory instead of a machine I play multiple times daily.

Going on my first cruise ever over xmas break, bounce around the Caribbean for a week. It wont be nearly as epic, but it'll be warm.

I know the big thing now is people opting for "memories" over "possessions", but I kinda feel the same way - i'm 59, my memory is for shit anyways -

#162 7 months ago

Nothing wrong with spending $10K, but if a pin costs $10,000.01 then I'm out.

#164 7 months ago

I’ve had the same chunk of money in pinball since I started, it was in stock market(gambling) anyways so why not have some fun with it. Took some losses on games, made money on others, had fun with all. I’m in the unfortunate spot now of saving money to buy a bigger house so I can get more fun stuff like pinballs. Ha! I look forward to the day of being able to buy a $10k pin, until then I’ll slowly climb the ladder….

#165 7 months ago
    Quoted from CapeCodPin:

That does sound epic! Did something similar last year with my wife for our 10 year wedding anniversary. $10k for a week at an extremely nice all inclusive resort, massive ocean front suite, butler, upgraded drink package, etc. Before going on the trip I thought "This money could be used for a pin that will last years" but afterwards I'm glad we did it as it was such an amazing trip. Will definitely try to do something like that every 5 - 10 years. There's something to be said for getting out in the world and enjoying it.

#166 7 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did something similar last year with my wife for our 10 year wedding anniversary. $10k for a week at an extremely nice all inclusive resort, massive ocean front suite, butler, upgraded drink package, etc. Before going on the trip I thought "This money could be used for a pin that will last years" but afterwards I'm glad we did it as it was such an amazing trip. Will definitely try to do something like that every 5 years or so.

yeah but you have like $2 million in your 401k - all you rich guys go on fancy vacations.......lol..........

#167 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

yeah but you have like $2 million in your 401k - all you rich guys go on fancy vacations.......lol..........

Lol I wish, that was a math gone wrong scenario in that thread haha, at retirement that would nice but I have almost 20 years to go. Hopefully the market keeps going up.

#168 7 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol I wish, that was a math gone wrong scenario in that thread haha, at retirement that would nice but I have almost 20 years to go. Hopefully the market keeps going up.

Yeah, that was entertaining.......

#169 7 months ago

If you desire a NIB brand new in the box machine, you are going to pay around $10k plus or minus $2k for the version you want.

#170 7 months ago

Dropping knowledge here.

Quoted from bayoubilly70:If you desire a NIB brand new in the box machine, you are going to pay around $10k plus or minus $2k for the version you want.

#171 7 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Cruises are overrated....basically a floating Golden Corral.

WAIT FLOATING GOLDEN CORRALS ARE A THING??!?

#172 7 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

A Golden Corral that you can't leave when you want.

As someone who doesn't really drink, gamble or like to indulge in huge quantities of food, cruises just aren't for me. I have no desire to be trapped on a boat with a bunch of people. Seeing the cruise ship ports of a country has got to be the worst way to see the country.

I'm an "active" vacationer. Cruises seem like the exact opposite.

#173 7 months ago

Quoted from hypnotoad:A Golden Corral that you can't leave when you want.
    As someone who doesn't really drink, gamble or like to indulge in huge quantities of food, cruises just aren't for me. I have no desire to be trapped on a boat with a bunch of people. Seeing the cruise ship ports of a country has got to be the worst way to see the country.

Mom ?

#175 7 months ago

Cruises are gross. If I'm spending that kind of money for a vacation, it's certainly to get away from crowds and not trap myself with them. Much cheaper to have an out of body experience and fly over the oceans alone.

#176 7 months ago

As long as your off track we're going on a Viking Ocean cruise in january Rome to Athens. Money well spent about 900 passengers on ship and when we went to Scandinavia on Viking Ocean a few years after covid less than 500 passengers. Gone on 3 river cruises 190 max passengers, last spring went down the Rhone in southern France simply awesome.

Cheers

#177 7 months ago

This thread is asking the wrong question…..what is the mindset of someone who is broke spending $10k on a pin or someone financing a $10K pin. If you have the cash and are paying with credit to get points this is not you…..this is someone who actually puts a game on a credit card and pays the 20% interest….

Sounds like most of us that are buying a $10K pin are not living paycheck to paycheck. I get some of us make good money and even I have to choose what I spend as I don’t have $100 bills falling out of my asshole but there are definitely some people buying NIB pins that have no business doing so. What’s that mindset like…..that’s what i want to know….is it FOMO, pin addiction (keeping up with the Jone’s), or just stupidity?

We’d all love to drive exotic cars and live in hill top mansions but for most of us that is a dream…we have to live within our means and luxury items are just that…a luxury. Overpriced and we all pick and choose what we spend on for those luxury items…..clothes, food, entertainment etc. Fire away and let’s hear from those that buy what they can’t afford…..

#178 7 months ago
    Quoted from indybru:

As long as your off track we're going on a Viking Ocean cruise in january Rome to Athens. Money well spent about 900 passengers on ship and when we went to Scandinavia on Viking Ocean a few years after covid less than 500 passengers. Gone on 3 river cruises 190 max passengers, last spring went down the Rhone in southern France simply awesome.
    Cheers

What would you say is the average age of those on a Viking cruise? There commercials paint the picture of an older crowd. Generally curious. My wife said she wanted to do a river cruise. We’ve never done any cruise but I thought the idea of having stuff to look at the whole time was a cool concept.

#179 7 months ago

Quoted from cookpins:What would you say is the average age of those on a Viking cruise? There commercials paint the picture of an older crowd. Generally curious. My wife said she wanted to do a river cruise. We’ve never done any cruise but I thought the idea of having stuff to look at the whole time was a cool concept.

#180 7 months ago
    Quoted from CapeCodPin:

Inquiring minds want to know what your wife got out of the deal

#181 7 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

What would you say is the average age of those on a Viking cruise? There commercials paint the picture of an older crowd. Generally curious. My wife said she wanted to do a river cruise. We’ve never done any cruise but I thought the idea of having stuff to look at the whole time was a cool concept.

It's all ages but mostly more mature. I do Silversea and went to Antarctica for 3 weeks over the holidays last year (under 200 people). Age was 30-60s. It costs 3 new pinballs per person but money better spent on the trip, for me.
    Spending 10k on a machine depends on the individual and your priorities. I had 14 machines at one point, now down to seven. I would much rather see the world.

#182 7 months ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

What’s that mindset like…..that’s what i want to know….is it FOMO, pin addiction (keeping up with the Jone’s), or just stupidity?

Quoted from Pickle:

let’s hear from those that buy what they can’t afford…..

Step 1: Call people stupid
    Step 2: Ask them to self identify and to tell us why they they're so stupid

Yeah, that works.

#183 7 months ago
    Quoted from hypnotoad:

A Golden Corral that you can't leave when you want.

You sound like my buddy, who I vacationed with for years. Hiking, sleeping in tents, mountain biking, I needed another vacation to recover from the vacation.

Now that this is a cruise review thread I'll chime in when I get back from my first one ever on Dec 31st, headed to the Caribbean next Friday. I'm more than happy to lose my car keys for a week, relax, drink like a fish and eat like a pig in the sun. Catch a few shows on the boat. I dont really care to explore every corner of Aruba or Cozumel. Jamaica was like a demilitarized zone away from the resort last time I was there, hell even the cab drivers didnt want to slow down in half the neighborhoods. Total cost including round trip airfare to Miami is under 5k for 2 people for this cruise.

Rome? Athens? London? Paris? Yeah, I wanna get out and see the sights. Caribbean? We're going for the weather.

#184 7 months ago

LOL 80
    they make it look like a giant swinging party....that's definately not Stiflers mom.......more like sticks and berries

#185 7 months ago
    Quoted from Hershmeister:

Inquiring minds want to know what your wife got out of the deal

A happy husband who's looking for another pin......or 2.

#186 7 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

So the question is "Are you guys just that flush with cash that 10k is no big deal or is it a passion for pinball that is beyond me" ?

Well lets see I can die with money in the bank or fun toys to play with. My kids already have their favorite machines picked out they want for their homes.

I'll say it again, I can die with money in the bank or fun toys to play with.

#187 7 months ago

Here's a thought.

Do you trust banks? If yes, then keep your money there and hope they pay you a few pennies in interest?

Do you like pinball? If yes buy pinball machines and keep your money in your basement. Make sure your homeowners insurance knows their value. Move the money/pinballs in and out of your basement as you see fit and actually enjoy playing games with your money in the meantime.

#188 7 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

LOL 80
    they make it look like a giant swinging party....that's definately not Stiflers mom.......more like sticks and berries

If its a bunch of 80 year olds on a boat there definitely will be a lot of things swinging

#189 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I dont really care to deep-dive Aruba or Cozumel.

I know some of those are paid excursions but the water is so clear around Cozumel you can see 100+ feet deep so skin diving is also amazing.

#190 7 months ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

I know some of those are paid excursions but the water is so clear around Cozumel you can see 100+ feet deep so skin diving is also amazing.

I'm down for some skin diving.....by "deep diving" i meant exploring every nook and cranny in town......

#191 7 months ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

I appreciate at a Cozumel beach club they’ll let you get drunk off your ass, grab some snorkel gear, and wonder off into the reef with no guidance. Mexico: The land of personal risk and responsibility.

#192 7 months ago

I made the foolish financial mistake of being into classic arcades vs pinball when the prices were affordable years ago. I entered the hobby this year and well - its expensive. For me, I would rather buy a newer Stern that is going to be less problematic than a B/W that was routed in addition to being 25+ years old. I didn't play pinball in the late 80/90s, so I have no nostalgia tied to any of the WPC/System 11 years. Due to the MSRP pricing of NIB, the older B/W have shot up in price with most of the nicer B titles being equal or more than a NIB pro. The A titles are equal or over a NIB premium.

While I enjoy fixing things and have what I would deem higher than average mechanical and electronic skills and tools , I already have enough things in my garage and home that require attention. I know its pinball and things break, but I would rather buy new than pay the same or a bit less and deal with an item that has the potential for more maintenance based on age and machine use/history alone. I enjoy troubleshooting and fixing stuff as much as the next person, but at this point in my life I would rather just play pinball and have fewer issues.

I wish things were cheaper, but they just aren't anymore. It is what it is...

#193 7 months ago
    Quoted from Retro4Life:

I made the foolish financial mistake of being into classic arcades vs pinball when the prices were affordable years ago. I entered the hobby this year and well - its expensive. For me, I would rather buy a newer Stern that is going to be less problematic than a B/W that was routed in addition to being 25+ years old. I didn't play pinball in the late 80/90s, so I have no nostalgia tied to any of the WPC/System 11 years. Due to the MSRP pricing of NIB, the older B/W have shot up in price with most of the nicer B titles being equal or more than a NIB pro. The A titles are equal or over a NIB premium.
    While I enjoy fixing things and have what I would deem higher than average mechanical and electronic skills and tools , I already have enough things in my garage and home that require attention. I know its pinball and things break, but I would rather buy new than pay the same or a bit less and deal with an item that has the potential for more maintenance based on age and machine use/history alone. I enjoy troubleshooting and fixing stuff as much as the next person, but at this point in my life I would rather just play pinball and have fewer issues.

Agreed, buy a Stern pro model, have fun with it, and fix the little stuff but not worrying about major issues.

#194 7 months ago
    Quoted from Retro4Life:

Ah, this old myth. New games or old can require the same maintenance. New games can even have more problems. It really depends what “old” game you buy. One in good repair will be as reliable as a new stern.

#195 7 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Ah, this old myth. New games or old can require the same maintenance. New games can even have more problems. It really depends what “old” game you buy. One in good repair will be as reliable as a new stern.

Agree, had an old beat up Whirlwind that gave me years of trouble free play

#196 7 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Trust me, I am not arguing that an older machine cannot be made as reliable, they are less prone to future proprietary part unobtainium issues, or that once they are gone through, they are not rock-solid. That doesn't negate the typical route and/or use wear issues on the playfields, typically more dings/fade on the cabinets over the years, etc.

Unless you did it yourself or its from a known person who has a solid history of doing quality work, its difficult to ascertain if all those Molex connectors were re-pinned correctly by the previous owner or the actual condition of all said soldier joints, lamp sockets, etc? I have much less risk buying new and 60 days to sort out any assembly line gremlins and much longer if you have a good distro. My first pin was a 1993 DMD model that was "fully shopped" and "meticulously gone through". Well that ended up being a complete bullshit narrative or at least to what my definition of meticulously gone through should mean. I kept it in the family but gave it to my son who still likes to tinker as much as he does playing. Outside of a few, minor issues its fine but I know its going to need more "love" in the future.

Personally, I am not going to pay the same price for an older machine that has a greater chance of needing repairs than a brand new one. Nostalgia is the only reason I play that song and do that dance in my other hobbies. As I said earlier, I have zero nostalgia with any of these older pins. I now have one Stern SAM and three Spike 2s that all I have done so thus far is clean the glass. To me, the newer machines have deeper rules, better lighting, etc etc. I gave my mindset as to why I pay NIB pricing. NIB is often the same, very close, and/or sometimes cheaper than older machines. For me, newer is a better fit. I didn't mean to imply that old cannot be made to be reliable but its more of a gamble unless you know the person and/or history of the machine your buying.

Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Agree, had an old beat up Whirlwind that gave me years of trouble free play

I have no doubts about that, but how much would an old, beat-up Whirlwind fetch these days? $4k with a clean one going for $6-$7.5k? No thanks, but 5 years ago when they were a couple grand for a players condition, I probably would have been all in on one.

#197 7 months ago

We're not well off by any means, but we currently only have the mortgage as debt. Wife and I have a fund that gets $ each month put in it for whatever we feel like. It adds up when you don't touch it. We were looking at getting new doors for the house, but decided to get a couple of machines instead this year. We only have enough room for 5 machines so for now we're content with what we have. I'm not a person who likes to sit for hours talking, but I like to have friends and family over and it gives everyone something else to do that is fairly unique.

#198 7 months ago
    Quoted from bayoubilly70:

If you desire a NIB brand new in the box machine, you are going to pay around $10k plus or minus $2k for the version you want.

My Stranger Things just got delivered. 6,995 out the door dropped on my door step.

#199 7 months ago

I could care less what others spend on their machines - particularly if it is a pin that they know they are going to really enjoy. That being said don’t brow beat me to buy your new Stern with under 50 plays for more than what you paid because you are bored with your new toy or you realized that you couldn’t really afford it.

#200 7 months ago

Just priorites and what you want to dump your $$ on....I drive a 22 year old BMW 7 series in great shape, and cringe at the thought of having a $500 car payment....just like others would cringe at ever laying down $10k for a machine. I just got a GZ because I'm addicted to it, and it's a game both my girls like and they are young enough that it's one of our bonding activities. You hope these will somewhat keep their value, but if not, playing the game with my girls is worth the $$ to me.

There are 213 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.