(Topic ID: 18281)

What is the max number of pins you would own?.........

By iceman44

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 72 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Astropin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Number of pins”

• 1-5 24 votes
      18%
    • 6-10 38 votes
      29%
    • 11-20 27 votes
      20%
    • No Max 44 votes
      33%

(133 votes)

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

If I had the space I would have kept alot of machines I traded/sold over the years. 5 set up with 2 in line for restoration seems to work well but sometimes is it more like 5 set up and 5 in line

#52 11 years ago

Aside from being tight on space, I always felt maintenance would become an issue. I spent so much time working on games that I didn't have time to play. However, I have found that as I go, my machines need less and less maintenance. Once you've rebuilt the major assemblies in a game and replaced worn out switches they can last for years needing next to nothing but batteries and cleaning. Also, the more games you have the less it matters if one or two are 'out of order' for your next party. Even if things start to break down, I have to admit I like working on games almost as much as playing them.

Having said that, I still don't have a solid plan as to where I am going to Predator when it arrives. I just know I have to have it. My wife has relegated my collection to 'basement only' and I somewhat agree. I want to have everything in one place as much as possible. Fortunately, she's so on board with Predator that she didn't even enter into the 'where are you going to put that!?' debate that took place with the last few games I was considering.

#53 11 years ago

5-6 machine, I'm at 4 now, two more machines and then I have to give up a machine for every new one I buy, probably will try to expand the space in the future

#54 11 years ago

8 fit perfectly so 10 being two over is it for me. No idea how to deal with it so thats a good bursting point.

#55 11 years ago

Wow....no max winning the poll handily...there are some impressive collections on here

That's what I was afraid of..."no max" is the real answer, the rest of us are in denial

I thought about this as I was wondering about new must have pins coming out down the road and could I really get rid of any pins....I don't think I could

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's what I was afraid of..."no max" is the real answer, the rest of us are in denial []

No, you can definitely operate with a max - I have finally found something close to equilibrium where for the most part I have a *very* small list of games that I still really want to complete the collection. After that point, I figure things will slow even further down than they have lately and I'll just enjoy what I've got.

I intend on either adding onto the house or getting a new one sooner than later, and once I do that I don't intend on buying an extra 30+ pins that I can't fit. Again.

#57 11 years ago

Five drives me crazy, four makes me feel better. I need to move one out for a fresh one soon.

#58 11 years ago

The question is, where is the line when you go from collecting to hoarding? I imagine it's different for everyone, but I see some of those collectors on "special when lit" and I can't help but think "yeah, that guy has a problem"

#59 11 years ago

I purchased a new home in large part because I wanted more pins, sounds like I'm not the only one.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

The question is, where is the line when you go from collecting to hoarding? I imagine it's different for everyone, but I see some of those collectors on "special when lit" and I can't help but think "yeah, that guy has a problem"

I've explained this before as my view with any type of collection...

If you buy with a purpose, and either have a space to put something or a plan about where to put something in a short period of time, you're not a hoarder. If you buy with no idea what you are doing or no place to put it, it's hoarding.

I have WAY too many pins to set up in my basement. I also have a storage area where I can put them if I need to, and a reason to own machines that don't fit in my basement - it's called the Midwest Gaming Classic. I also run a used video game business out of the house called the GOAT Store (cheap plug - http://www.goatstore.com ). Some people have suggested that I might be a hoarder because I often end up with piles of stuff in the basement for that, but my argument is that there is a plan for those material, and that I'm definitely not just buying to buy.

Unfortunately, the GOAT Store doesn't make enough money to really justify the mess 95% of the time, but I find it fun and it gives me some other benefits that I do really appreciate. A hoarder would have all of the stuff that I do for the GOAT Store, with no use for any of it, other than to know they should hold onto it. For the GOAT Store, I'd much rather have someone come and buy all of it than hold onto it

#61 11 years ago

I would guess if have them and play them the number does not matter. But if you have them just to have them and they sit there, hoarder.

#62 11 years ago

Well for seven or eight years I had one and thought I was completely happy. But over the last six months my collection has tripled. I can definitely see adding 3-4 more games hopefully at least two more in the near future. Then as the kids begin to go off on their own Ill have more room for further expansion.

#63 11 years ago

8 for me is a good #. Enough to have variety and not overwhelming to keep them playing nice. Had 14 and was too much for me, have 9 now.

#64 11 years ago

I aspire to own in the neighborhood of 20 pins one day.

#65 11 years ago

I voted for 6 - 10. Seems like a good enough number of pins to have some good variety, have great pinball parties, not get overloaded w/ maintenance, etc.
    Currently, I'm at 4 machines, had 7 at one time last year.

#66 11 years ago

Only 72 John? Really? Pfft, that's pathetic.

Honestly, I'd like to have 15-20. I have room for....3 right now. =|

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Nevermind that the entire film was cut and edited to make everyone involved look as creepy and scary as possible.

#68 11 years ago

I'd like 10....nice even number; but only have room for 7.

#69 11 years ago

We had room for six in the pub. Once I got there, they started creeping into the house. Luckily my wife is awesome and didn't have a problem with it . So I have 6 in the pub, 1 in the office with 1 on the way. I will then be at capacity, until the oldest moves out and I turn the pub into a two story with a spiral staircase . That room will be all for pins.

#70 11 years ago

I want enough pins to make me eligible to be the subject of a full episode of "Hoarders". Getting close!!

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Nevermind that the entire film was cut and edited to make everyone involved look as creepy and scary as possible.

I know, right! I had such high hopes for that doc. I just felt dirty afterwards.

#72 11 years ago

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-max-number-of-pins-you-would-own/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.