Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Psw757
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

This time of year is a struggle to get low humidity, the basment gameroom is too cold (58 Degrees F) in which I cannot get a decent run cycle out of the dehumidifier without it frosting over. The cement floor and block walls are still cold soaked from the long winter we had. Normally starting in May the dehumidifier will run long enough to begin raising the temps up into the low 60s and I can get between 37 and 43% humidity. As of now I am struggling to get below 50%.

At what point should it be a concern for the games? Mostly with the playfield and glasses.

#3 5 years ago

As long as you don't have condensation forming, you should be ok.

At room temperature, I try to keep thinks below 55%. Obviously, for a cold basement like yours, conditions will be different.

#4 5 years ago

I don't think 50% is bad for the games, but I would try to shoot for the 40-45% range just for comfort preference. Your situation sounds like you need a bigger dehumidifier, or you could try running two of them.

#5 5 years ago

I think 40-55% is a good range from winter to summer. I don’t think 60% is bad for a machine but that is where you begin to feel it being a little more humid.

#6 5 years ago

I run the dehimidifier whenever it gets to 55%, setting it on 50% or 45%. (It's not on auto-detect, just when I am around the house). Basement is 61 degrees F. Have had no issues. +1 on the properly sizing the dehumidifier though.

#7 5 years ago

my house will routinely jump into the high 50% during the summer. I have never had any issues with pins, vids, or other coin op equipment.
    Thanks
    Blake

#8 5 years ago

The humidifier is properly sized, maybe a bit oversized. Its just no company will make an affordable one with hot gas bypass. They are all $1k+. Hot gas bypass allows the discharge gas from the compressor to bypass into the suction side and prevent the unit from frosting in low temps, or in low load situations. This way the refrigeration system can run and still remove moisture.

On mine it runs for 15 min, frosts over, then continues to run for another 30 minutes until the sensor trips, then the compressor shuts off and defrosts, and this cycle repeats. Not very efficient, and not doing much to help warm up the basement. I rely heavily on the dehumidifier to run and start to warm the basement for the summer. It has done great in prior yrs but I suspect our longer than normal winter is to blame.

#9 5 years ago

Under 50%

#10 5 years ago

Ya 50% or under, preferably under

#11 5 years ago

Dehumidifiers are monster energy guzzlers and, quite frankly aren't all too effective. You might want to look into simply moving air from the basement to the outside. A simple fan set up (think bathroom exhaust type) to expel stagnant moisture-laden air to the outside is more desirable.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Dehumidifiers are monster energy guzzlers and, quite frankly aren't all too effective. You might want to look into simply moving air from the basement to the outside. A simple fan set up (think bathroom exhaust type) to expel stagnant moisture-laden air to the outside is more desirable.

Where would the fresh air come in from?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

Dehumidifiers are monster energy guzzlers and, quite frankly aren't all too effective.

You are half right. They are very effective, but not efficient because they use so much electricity.

I am in the humid south and can easily get the humidity below 40%. I just choose not to pay that much for it.

By basement is set to 55%, not because of pinball machines, but because it is what is comfortable to me.

#14 5 years ago

Adding conditioned air makes a big difference since running a dehumidifier in stagnant air lowers the humidity it also raises the temp a bit. You go from 60% humidity to 45/50% with a/c will probably increase the temp 4-5 degrees in the room.

It’s tough getting everything balanced.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-max-humidity-for-gameroom?hl=e_gpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.