(Topic ID: 256737)

What is the longest time you had a project pin before playing it?

By tomdrum

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gotpins
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Longest you sat on a project game?”

• Less than 5 years 15 votes
    48%
  • 5-10 years 12 votes
    39%
  • More than 10 years 4 votes
    13%

(31 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5807 (resized).JPG
DSCN5806 (resized).JPG
DSCN5805 (resized).JPG
DSCN5804 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I picked up two Bally Paragon project machines in 2001-2002. Both had typical beat PF's and BG flaking but they were cheap enough and within a couple hours drive. A few years later I found a nice PF needing minimal touch-ups but the wiring harness connectors were all cut off. Had it touched up and clear coated. Other projects always came 1st since this needed a BG. Last year I found a NOS BG so I started on it. Cabinet repaint, and a lot of other work including replacing the entire PF wiring harness. 18 years later I played my 1st game tonight although I need to fix a couple a light sockets.

Longest time you ever had a project game before getting it fixed?

DSCN5804 (resized).JPGDSCN5804 (resized).JPGDSCN5805 (resized).JPGDSCN5805 (resized).JPGDSCN5806 (resized).JPGDSCN5806 (resized).JPGDSCN5807 (resized).JPGDSCN5807 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

Disassembled a Capcom BBB on January 3rd 2000, reassembled for the Mona Geesa Pinball Party August 11th 2001.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

My third game ever. Bought Laser Ball in 2015, still not playable

#4 4 years ago

24 years .

#5 4 years ago

I've got a project Paragon that I've been sitting on for 5+ years. Got most of the big items including a NOS cleared playfield, rebuilt the lamp panel, rebuilt the coin door but I got stalled on the cabinet repaint. I keep telling myself I'll get to it soon... Perfect is the enemy of good.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I got stalled on the cabinet repaint.

I have an older set of Pinball Pal cabinet stencils I'd sell cheap.

#7 4 years ago

I have an Earthshaker and a Pinbot, both bought in 2014, both still apart. Centaur in 2015, also still apart. Cleaning and fixing little by little.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I have an older set of Pinball Pal cabinet stencils I'd sell cheap.

Appreciate the offer but I've got a set from Pinball Pimp. You see, I've got no excuses beyond laziness.

#9 4 years ago

2011 restoration of a TZ...still working out the blown cpu’s After 3 games. Ugh.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Appreciate the offer but I've got a set from Pinball Pimp. You see, I've got no excuses beyond laziness.

Here's some motivation (possibly). I did the cabinet prep and base coat. After researching at length the closest color I found for the base is Benjamin Moore Marti Gras gold. I bought a quart of it when just doing the head frame on a Mata Hari. Same color. It went to crap after sitting for years. Tried having that color mixed at my local Sherwin Williams. After 3 tries they threw their hands up. Something about the gold color that's hard to mix correctly. My local BM dealer went out of business in the years that had passed. Ace Hardware sells BM paint however none in my area stocked the base to mix it and they wouldn't order the minimum case needed. So I ended up driving 70 miles round trip to get a gallon, the minimum I could buy. I used BM Super Spec Urethane Alkyd Enamel Gloss in oil base. Applied with a 4" foam roller. 2 coats then let it cure for 2 months. Sanded it with 220 grit and applied another 2 coats. Let it cure another 4 months and then gave to a local pin buddy to stencil since he had 6 cabinets under his belt to my zero. (Thanks @weatherbymag). He stenciled it. The base coat is incredibly rock hard.

Hope you get yours done!

#11 4 years ago

Oddly one of my projects is a Paragon just like yours. I think I've routinely gone 4-5 years on a lot of projects. Approaching 5 years I think on an 8 ball..... was all set to get back into it and found the flipper bushings one was damaged from Marco (looks like it melted).... so put that on hold again. That's the longest that I've at least started.... I have several that are in various states of aging between 5-10 years.

Some projects while playable I don't consider "done" - I still need to finish rebuilding mechs etc. on the pinbot, but enjoying playing it too much. I shopped the right side, have to do the left, and rebuild the flippers. It's playable so until I feel like ripping back into it, it'll be a playing project.

then there are the basket case games, I did start one of them (bally PB) but had to stop in the middle. Lots of rusty parts on that one!

#12 4 years ago

13 years for me. But totally worth it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-longest-time-you-had-a-project-pin-before-playing-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.