(Topic ID: 154353)

What is the longest distance you have driven to buy one pin?

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by woody24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0823_(resized).JPG
    image_(resized).jpeg

#1 4 years ago

Just curious. I drove 200 miles one way. Easy day trip.

How much "lust factor" does a machine have to have for you to not want to trust it to a shipper and just make those miles yourself?

What is your breaking point for deciding to make the drive vs. hiring a shipper? For instance, if you pushed, you make make an 800 mile roundtrip in one day. What about a 1000 mile roundtrip? Now you are talking motel expenses.

How much does/did the cost of gasoline factor into your decision?

Does/did how long a particular machine was on your wish list factor into your decision of whether to drive or ship?

Or was the seller not willing to ship?

How far will you rationalize your reasoning when the object of your desire comes up for sale and it is a two day ride from home?

Would you take 2-3 days off of work and spend some of your vacation time chasing your favorite pin?

Would you try to convince your significant other and the kids more fun could be had by vacationing in Minot North Dakota instead of Disney World because someone in Minot just happens to have offered your wish list pin for sale?

How (embarrassingly) far would you/did you drive to feed your addiction ?

#2 4 years ago

I once drove 500 miles. Then I drove 500 more. All in all it took 1000 miles to get that pin in my door.

#3 4 years ago

N.c. to Maine and back :/

#4 4 years ago

I'd do 250 miles, one way, 500 round trip. I've done it once before. Gas here in NJ is $1.50/gallon so gas prices aren't an issue, it's the tolls that get you sometimes; and I always bring a buddy along. I like long highway drives with good company.

#5 4 years ago

I don't know the mileage but I've made three separate 16+ hour trips in different directions. I don't mind driving I find it fun.

#6 4 years ago

I've gone 200 miles one way for a good deal. I'd say my limit is what I can safely travel back and forth in one day. My max is around 300 miles.

#8 4 years ago

yeah around 250 each way for me

#9 4 years ago

A little over 500 miles each way (Chicago to Kansas City, MO). Lots of weed, caffeine and techno to plow me through. BBQ upon arrival. Crashed on Jayhawk's couch and did the same thing on the way back. Made a pit stop in St. Louis at Perennial and Side Project for some quality beers!

#10 4 years ago

900 miles round trip in one day for my Congo. Met an awesome pinsider too!

#11 4 years ago

1440 miles round trip from southern Indiana to Long Island & back for my HUO 24. Beat that for crazy!

#12 4 years ago

18 hours round trip in one day. The last hour was so brutal.

#13 4 years ago

About 600 miles round trip

#14 4 years ago

Those are some long drives to be sure.
    But has anyone ever driven from the USA to Europe to bring back a reimport?

#16 4 years ago

A couple weeks ago I made a roughly 650 mile round trip from Detroit to Pittsburgh and back. That was the longest I've ever traveled for a pin. Took about 10 hours. I don't think I'll go further then that, lol.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

I once drove 500 miles. Then I drove 500 more. All in all it took 1000 miles to get that pin in my door.

I see what you did there

#18 4 years ago

763 miles 1 way then turned around and drove back, 1526 in all. But I had to reunite my Pinbot with his Bride.

#19 4 years ago

240 miles but took forever due to traffic.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

763 miles 1 way then turned around and drove back, 1526 in all. But I had to reunite my Pinbot with his Bride.

You got me beat. I went 724 miles from Odon, IN to OKC to pick up a City Slicker. A game I've never played and is sitting in pieces right now. I can't wait to get it back together. It took me around 12 hours one way.

#21 4 years ago

Let's see, here. To Salt Lake City, UT and back, 1590 miles. To Seattle, WA and back, 1988 miles. To sierra Vista, AZ and back, 1496 miles. To Oklahoma City, OK then Colorado Springs, CO, then back-2795 miles.

But the only ones that were non-stop except for fuel and potty breaks were to Seattle, WA and Sierra Vista, AZ, both separate trips of course. One for a NIB Mousin' Around, and one for a HUO Twilight Zone, way back in the early 1990's.

#22 4 years ago

Drove from Denver to St. Louis, about 850 miles one way to pick up my SM. Perfect HUO condition to drive back home the next day. Well worth it to me.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from swanng:

Let's see, here. To Salt Lake City, UT and back, 1590 miles. To Seattle, WA and back, 1988 miles. To sierra Vista, AZ and back, 1496 miles. To Oklahoma City, OK then Colorado Springs, CO, then back-2795 miles.
    But the only ones that were non-stop except for fuel and potty breaks were to Seattle, WA and Sierra Vista, AZ, both separate trips of course. One for a NIB Mousin' Around, and one for a HUO Twilight Zone, way back in the early 1990's.

What did you pay for that Mousin' Around and TZ if you don't mind?

#24 4 years ago

968 miles round trip.

#25 4 years ago

Boston to Asbury Park for Embryon

#26 4 years ago

@ dmbjunky-

I can't even remember, it's been so long. But they were both worth the windshield time. I still have both.

#27 4 years ago

OK. to all of you who have answered: Why did you not ship those real long distance ones? Do you like driving that much?

Don't trust the shipper? Or what? You know. Call NAVL and its delivered to your door. You don't have to take any vacation days. No wear and tear on your own vehicle. So, why make the drive?

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. to all of you who have answered: Why did you not ship those real long distance ones? Do you like driving that much?
    Don't trust the shipper? Or what? You know. Call NAVL and its delivered to your door. You don't have to take any vacation days. No wear and tear on your own vehicle. So, why make the drive?

Shippers have been removing legs without taking the bolts out lately.

#29 4 years ago

870 miles (1400 km) - To Sault Ste. Marie and back.

#30 4 years ago

Isn't that the BEST ride ever though? You know how sometimes you seem to get places faster but the ride back is LONG? I really enjoy sitting back while my wife drives and just taking the time to talk and enjoy seeing new things etc. I think the worse time i had was when i rented a van and we ran over a deer head which punctured the tire. Long story short rental companies have a 5 hr response time to change a tire on the w va tunrpike :/ The ride is usually over way to fast.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from happilymarried05:

Isn't that the BEST ride ever though? You know how sometimes you seem to get places faster but the ride back is LONG?

I know what you mean man! But for some reason it's opposite for me? I think it's slow on the way there for me coz I'm excited to get there. But seems faster on the way home for me? I must get a little bummed that our trip is over or something? Good times.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I may do it differently next time.

#33 4 years ago

I like road trips, and if I'm interested enough in spending the money on the machine, I'd better be interested enough to inspect it IN PERSON first.

Photographs and representations by the seller can be deceiving, unintended or otherwise.

But that's just me.

2 weeks later
    #34 4 years ago

Just finished first half of an 18 hour trip. image_(resized).jpeg

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just finished first half of an 18 hour trip. image_(resized).jpeg

Well, I saw where you bought that Seawitch on a marketplace ad. You got a nice buy with a nice play field. At the time I was in South Carolina picking up a Seawitch I located on Craigslist. I just got home yesterday. Now that she is safe in my hands I can talk about it.

My trip was 360 miles to Dallas to the Texas Pinball Festival. After that, it was 948 miles to Greenville South Carolina. 2600 mile round trip.

One Seawitch with a nice back glass that plays, but play field will need restored. Pics coming in a couple of days.

#36 4 years ago

750 miles round trip. I've done it four times.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, I saw where you bought that Seawitch on a marketplace ad. You got a nice buy with a nice play field. At the time I was in South Carolina picking up a Seawitch I located on Craigslist. I just got home yesterday. Now that she is safe in my hands I can talk about it.
    My trip was 360 miles to Dallas to the Texas Pinball Festival. After that, it was 948 miles to Greenville South Carolina. 2600 mile round trip.
    One Seawitch with a nice back glass that plays, but play field will need restored. Pics coming in a couple of days.

Nice we can compare Carolina seawitches. I've got 3.5 hours left.

#38 4 years ago

Kansas City to Chicago and back. More than once. Going again Sunday. All for the love of pins

#39 4 years ago

7,428 miles for a $75 pin.

#40 4 years ago

A rough guess. 1600 miles Round Trip 48hrs..
    Avengers Hulk.LE... And a few others with a Pinsider on the way back..

DSCF0823_(resized).JPG

1 week later
    #41 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I just calculated my gas expense and motel expense for this 2600 mile trip. Gas cost was $ 199.93. Motel was $65.00 in Mississippi for one night. And motel in Georgia was $95.00 per night for two nights. Total cost was $454.93 for me to go get it. I never called the NAVL carrier for an estimate but figure $400.00 would be close to what the carrier would have charged.

So, would I do this again? I enjoyed the road time so I think I would chase another pin in this same way.

#42 4 years ago

Wow, some of you guys do some major trips. Who's coming to Seattle from the midwest? Would pay for pin to be transported with you.

Pinside could use a feature to register your planned road trip: could be useful to match up some buyers and sellers and fill your vehicle and pocket on the empty leg.

#43 4 years ago

I love road trips and would drive as far as 1500 miles round trip for the right reasons. So far I've saved my pinball roadtrips for going to play rather than buying pins, but for the right title at the right price I might jump in the car.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Pinside could use a feature to register your planned road trip: could be useful to match up some buyers and sellers and fill your vehicle and pocket on the empty leg.

That is a great idea.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Wow, some of you guys do some major trips. Who's coming to Seattle from the midwest? Would pay for pin to be transported with you.

I'd suggest that you post this idea in the feature requests sub-forum so that Robin sees it. It sounds like it could be an interesting idea

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/feature-requests

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Brilliant idea.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

That is a great idea.

Uber for pinballs, and long distance.

#48 4 years ago

I was all ready to plan a trip across state lines to pick up a JP if one came up. But ended up buying one less than 1/2 mile from my house. So about a 4 minute drive one direction.

Do I get a prize for the shortest trip?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinshakers
    $ 49.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 25.00
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball USA
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Led
    3D MODS
    $ 128.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside