(Topic ID: 282916)

What Is The Greatest Dinosaur Rock Band - That's Still Relevant?

By vid1900

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 201 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dhard
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

article-2081537-0F530C9200000578-72_468x784 (resized).jpg
EaqhGQ1X0AIC2c7 (resized).jpg
new-kids-on-the-block-june-2019-live-billboard-1548-compressed (resized).jpg
download (2) (resized).jpeg
N999LJ_crash (resized).png
60BEFC88-FC9B-4574-B26C-8624BFBDEA5E (resized).jpeg
7F68F322-8CA0-4C5C-9D84-701B0A1D0193 (resized).jpeg
zztop (resized).jpg
51uFN3SqJoL._AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg
john-carpenter-lost-themes-iii-alive-after-death (resized).jpg
4758756C-5DE2-42AD-9A4E-4199738595F7 (resized).jpeg
Hall_and_Oates,_Daryl_Hall_and_John_Oates_(The_Silver_Album),_1975 (resized).png
58B92126-5543-4FD3-B493-A0D6DF8D0C97 (resized).jpeg
59CC439C-B83A-4E65-959A-E411214B2D6E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
26B0D52A-7437-4D65-A26D-DB82D90E20FE (resized).jpeg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 3 years ago

Closer than Tool so maybe he'll allow it?

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Also Bad Religion

Bad religion is constantly changing members, so that disqualifies them.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band - now investing in retirement homes and villages. Staying relevant by embracing the age. Released two albums/cd’s in 2020.

One of the only acts that can still fill alpine valley. Plenty of recent merchandise also beer and margaritas. I’d say he is relevant but I don’t know if his band is all original members.

#154 3 years ago

<Don't mind me. Someone else already said it.>

#155 3 years ago

After listening to the new album i vote AC DC and just ordered 2 CD.s

#156 3 years ago

Wire

#157 3 years ago

KISS!

They even have a few pinballs too.

#158 3 years ago

First post “ must have ALL original members” .
kiss and AC/DC are out.

#159 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

First post “ must have ALL original members” .
kiss and AC/DC are out.

So re 85% of all other bands mentioned in this thread.

#160 3 years ago

Aerosmith I believe qualifies

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know we've been over this before, but god, what an abortion it was when they released the CDs and tried to make classics like Tres Hombres sound like their 80s crap. I think I bought one and then threw it out my car window shortly after it started playing.

I still remember the very first time I played La Grange off that CD, when those drums kicked in it was an immediate WTF. I mean, that was the WTF moment of all WTF moments. I couldn’t believe they absolutely ruined one of the greatest songs ever. Thankfully I have been able to get all of the original versions of the old ZZ Top songs with the real drums.

Another rule we had way back in the day - no goddam organs! If you had an organ playing in your song, you sucked. When Grand Funk Railroad added organ, it was goodbye, you SUCK! When Led Zeppelin added organ, it was goodbye, you SUCK! We weren’t very open-minded in those days.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Another rule we had way back in the day - no goddam organs! If you had an organ playing in your song, you sucked. When Grand Funk Railroad added organ, it was goodbye, you SUCK! When Led Zeppelin added organ, it was goodbye, you SUCK! We weren’t very open-minded in those days.

Well I won't ask you about Deep Purple since I pretty much know the answer!

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Well I won't ask you about Deep Purple since I pretty much know the answer!

Somehow Deep Purple got a pass. I'm not saying I was logical back then.

#164 3 years ago

Ween must qualify.

Same line up pre 2000 ?

#165 3 years ago

Wally World?

#166 3 years ago

I keep seeing ZZ Top mentioned but if the criteria is must have all original members, then ZZ Top is off the list right? Billy Gibbons is the only original member left even though the trio we know has been together seemingly forever. (I seem to recall that bit of trivia on a Netflix special and was surprised to hear that).

#167 3 years ago

Disturbed
Three doors down
Seven dust
Bush

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

So re 85% of all other bands mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, staying within the rules of the original post is kind of tough ( which makes this thread interesting)

#169 3 years ago

What about Queen? All original members except that one little minor change in 1991 that nobody noticed.

#170 3 years ago

No one has mentioned "The Moody Blues" (probably the line up has changed, or someone died)… ELP, Yes, King Crimson, those were the days! But I'm a dinosaur now....

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I keep seeing ZZ Top mentioned but if the criteria is must have all original members, then ZZ Top is off the list right? Billy Gibbons is the only original member left even though the trio we know has been together seemingly forever. (I seem to recall that bit of trivia on a Netflix special and was surprised to hear that).

You are correct, sir! ZZ Top is out. Damn Netflix, freeing murderers and taking ZZ Top out of best thread on pinside..

#172 3 years ago

I think Aerosmith has to take the cake. The 5 members today were part of every album. With exception to I believe one album where Perry left for a few years.

They did start with a different rhythm guitarist for 6 months but didn’t appear on any albums or tours.

They had two guys fill in for Perry from 79-84 but Perry obviously returned and the band is intact.

1970-2020 no major lineup change.

#173 3 years ago

I'm not sure about having all the original members still, but Weezer meets the rest of the criteria.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm not sure about having all the original members still, but Weezer meets the rest of the criteria.

No, bassist left.

Will need a judgement on Aerosmith. Founding guitarist left before signing first record deal.

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

No, bassist left.
Will need a judgement on Aerosmith. Founding guitarist left before signing first record deal.

He was there 6 months. Band that recorded first album and went on first tour is still their today. 50 years later.

Can’t argue with that

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think Aerosmith has to take the cake. The 5 members today were part of every album. With exception to I believe one album where Perry left for a few years.

They fired their drummer, Joey Kramer, 2 years ago.

Otherwise, they would have been a great suggestion, although I'm not sure how relevant they are today.

Their last album of new material was almost a decade ago (2012) and featured Diane Warwick songs and Carrie Underwood duets; super limp suckage for sure.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a30641511/aerosmith-joey-kramer-injury-drummer-grammys-controversy-explained/

Wig-less and free

article-2081537-0F530C9200000578-72_468x784 (resized).jpgarticle-2081537-0F530C9200000578-72_468x784 (resized).jpg
#177 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They fired their drummer, Joey Kramer, 2 years ago.
Otherwise, they would have been a great suggestion, although I'm not sure how relevant they are today.
Their last album of new material was almost a decade ago (2012) and featured Diane Warwick songs and Carrie Underwood duets; super limp suckage for sure.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a30641511/aerosmith-joey-kramer-injury-drummer-grammys-controversy-explained/
Wig-less and free[quoted image]

Joey Kramer is back with the band and finished the tour/vegas residancy. Pretty sure he got hooked on pain meds after his injury. He wasn’t well and made him re-audition. Plenty of supporting articles about this.

So as of right now Band intact and Big World tour pending for 2021.

They still make tons of money performing so relevant enough for millions to go see them.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

3. Must still have ALL the original members (even though Foghat still records and tours, all the founding members are dead)

When Aerosmith started calling themselves Aerosmith, all members became original founding members. Ray Tabano wasn’t there long, but they list him as a founding member. They are the epitome of dinosaurs so it will be a tough cut..

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

When Aerosmith started calling themselves Aerosmith, all members became original founding members. Ray Tabano wasn’t there long, but they list him as a founding member. They are the epitome of dinosaurs so it will be a tough cut..

Ray didn’t do anything but jam early on with the band, kind of similar to the Beatles situation with Pete Best although he was with them doing live shows on the club scene.

I see no way that Aerosmith isn’t the winner, meet all criteria, top end grossing tours etc...implies relevance, have recorded stuff within the last decade and is reportedly working on a new album for upcoming tour.

#180 3 years ago

I'm not sure how relevant they are today.
Relevant enough to have stern make Aerosmith pinball machine in 2017

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

I'm not sure how relevant they are today.
Relevant enough to have stern make Aerosmith pinball machine in 2017

So irrelevant then, case closed

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Ray didn’t do anything but jam early on with the band, kind of similar to the Beatles situation with Pete Best although he was with them doing live shows on the club scene.
I see no way that Aerosmith isn’t the winner, meet all criteria, top end grossing tours etc...implies relevance, have recorded stuff within the last decade and is reportedly working on a new album for upcoming tour.

Correct, Beatles also cut.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Correct, Beatles also cut.

They didn’t qualify because 2 are dead.

Following the rules AS is the winner, runner up would be U2.

There are no other bands of that magnitude with the longevity these two have and remain intact.

When they tour they are top grossing tours which to me implies relevancy worldwide.

Fun drill but nobody else is even close

#184 3 years ago

Beatles were cut because they have not released a new album in 50 years.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Tool does not have all the founding members, or it would be my vote.
So I'm going Clutch!

Still 2 of my favorite bands. Saw both last year during the holidays in DC.

#186 3 years ago

There are a zillion oldies bands that still tour, but they are only relevant if they are still releasing new material

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are a zillion oldies bands that still tour, but they are only relevant if they are still releasing new material

Sure there are one hit wonder oldies bands but you asked for The GREATEST dinosaur rock band, not oldies, not mediocre etc...

Just trying to play by the rules

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They didn’t qualify because 2 are dead.
Following the rules AS is the winner, runner up would be U2.
There are no other bands of that magnitude with the longevity these two have and remain intact.
When they tour they are top grossing tours which to me implies relevancy worldwide.
Fun drill but nobody else is even close

From the last count with the huge shake up of ZZ Top cut- Rammstein, U2, and the Offspring are winning.

Did we get a ruling on AS? Are we saying when band forms or first sign with label? If it says guy is original member, doesn’t look good.

And not that Rolling Stone Mag knows anything but U2 was #22, AS was 57..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_100_Greatest_Artists_of_All_Time

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

From the last count with the huge shake up of ZZ Top cut- Rammstein, U2, and the Offspring are winning.
Did we get a ruling on AS? Are we saying when band forms or first sign with label? If it says guy is original member, doesn’t look good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_100_Greatest_Artists_of_All_Time

The guy was out before they signed first record deal.

The 5 members of aerosmith today are the same 5 from 1970’s very first album.

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Sure there are one hit wonder oldies bands but you asked for The GREATEST dinosaur rock band, not oldies, not mediocre etc...
Just trying to play by the rules

If in doubt, see rule #2

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If in doubt, see rule #2

Define few years for release and what makes dinosaur age of band? Together more than 30 years I would hope be the minimum.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Define few years for release and what makes dinosaur age of band? Together more than 30 years I would hope be the minimum.

Rule #1

#193 3 years ago

That’s doesn’t rise to the level of dinosaur, just sayin.
Shit some bands from the late 90’s are just hitting their middle age years.

Dinosaur to me would be pre 1985

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

Saw a trivia question- what lead singer is a dissertation away from a PhD in molecular biology?

Dexter Holland of the Offspring- also the only original member left...

The Offspring is cut!

#195 3 years ago

And the winner of the greatest dinosaur band is...

I had a solid idea, then I forgot. The key was relevance to me. It'll come to me.

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

And the winner of the greatest dinosaur band is...

This isn't my favorite band, but the winner is U2. For all intents and purposes, it's all original members and never broke up then reformed. They adhere to the rules the best. Had 10 consecutive platinum albums from 1983 (War)- 2009 (No Line on the Horizon). No dinosaur band that follows all the rules has come close to having this success. People gave a shit about buying their new records for 26 years. They still sell out arenas. And let's face it, in terms of classic rock, having a monster seller just 11 years ago isn't that bad.

ZZ Top is runner up. They've had more longevity than any of them, but only a short period of relevancy.

You could make an argument for Aerosmith for sure although they've broken the rules.-- Not by much, but they have. Joe Perry had quit the group and they released a record with out him in 1982 ("Rock in a Hard Place"). Not to mention that their four best records were their first four records released over a 3 year period from '73-'76. Sure, they sold a lot of copies of "Permanent Vacation", "Pump", "Get a Grip", and "Nine Lives", but they were shells of their former selves. It was a lot of complete shit largely written by "professional songwriters". (Cheap Trick tried this approach with "The Flame", but at least they were one and done.) They completely lost their way. But either way, they never had a 10 album run like U2.

Vid? It's your thread. Anyone have a counter-argument? I love this stuff!

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Motley crue
2019 the dirt soundtrack #3 us soundtrack albums
Set to tour again in 2021

My counter argument just don't hold that remake of like a virgin against me man wtf?

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Motley crue
2019 the dirt soundtrack #3 us soundtrack albums
Set to tour again in 2021

It's probably been 12 years since they put out an album of new music.

Didn't they sign an airtight contract to never tour again?????

Face Down In The Dirt - Motley Crue

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

This isn't my favorite band, but the winner is U2. For all intents and purposes, it's all original members and never broke up then reformed. They adhere to the rules the best. Had 10 consecutive platinum albums from 1983 (War)- 2009 (No Line on the Horizon). No dinosaur band that follows all the rules has come close to having this success. People gave a shit about buying their new records for 26 years. They still sell out arenas. And let's face it, in terms of classic rock, having a monster seller just 11 years ago isn't that bad.
ZZ Top is runner up. They've had more longevity than any of them, but only a short period of relevancy.
You could make an argument for Aerosmith for sure although they've broken the rules.-- Not by much, but they have. Joe Perry had quit the group and they released a record with out him in 1982 ("Rock in a Hard Place"). Not to mention that their four best records were their first four records released over a 3 year period from '73-'76. Sure, they sold a lot of copies of "Permanent Vacation", "Pump", "Get a Grip", and "Nine Lives", but they were shells of their former selves. It was a lot of complete shit largely written by "professional songwriters". (Cheap Trick tried this approach with "The Flame", but at least they were one and done.) They completely lost their way. But either way, they never had a 10 album run like U2.
Vid? It's your thread. Anyone have a counter-argument? I love this stuff!

I would tend to agree.

#200 3 years ago

The first dance at my wedding was Without You by the Crue.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-greatest-dinosaur-rock-band-that-s-still-relevant-/page/4?hl=lrrr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.