(Topic ID: 294126)

What is the Good, Bad & Ugly of owning a EM Pin?

By F-14Pin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capt Fantasic (resized).jpg
2ABAA8A7-C4D4-41C1-9597-1DB9A3477DD9 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from F-14Pin:

Are they worth buying if they come as "needs some work" or doesn't power on.

The answer depends on condition and whether or not most parts are present. Others likely have much more experience than I do, but so far I have turned down several that appear to be missing too much, have been seriously hacked, and/or are in too rough shape and have been successful getting all others running as they should. I have only bought one EM that the owner said was working well (it wasn’t and even had a bypassed fuse that could have been dangerous).

If an EM has been sitting, it’ll likely have dirty contacts and gummed up steppers. Machines that have been sitting in a basement or in storage will usually not work immediately when first plugged in. They may have also been put in storage or haven’t been played because something went wrong with them and the owner didn’t have the know how to repair them. And then even if the machine is “working”, there’s no guarantee it’s working as it should or doesn’t have potentially dangerous hacks in it unless it has been gone through by someone with some expertise.

Before I go check out a machine in person, I always ask the owner whether or not they think anything is missing and don’t bother to ask if it’s working as I expect it isn’t and actually hope this is the case as I look forward to doing what it takes to make it so. If you go this route, learn to read schematics and get good at diagnosing problems. Older machines usually just need a new cord and new rubber ring kit and a good going through. If you’re willing to tinker and learn, getting an EM in your lineup should be worthwhile.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
$ 12.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tfduda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-good-bad-amp-ugly-of-owning-a-em-pin?tu=tfduda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.