(Topic ID: 312184)

What is the "going price" for a Rocky & Bullwinkle Machine?

By too-many-pins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinballkim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wax (resized).jpeg
    RB Movie (resized).jpg
    11b28ebe190ceff2398e29a89e80b4cd0f917101 (resized).jpg
    DSC_7359-Custom (resized).jpg
    pb-0323 (resized).jpg
    FF76C097-AEA2-448F-8E05-2F5249089FF2 (resized).jpeg
    8EDE37CC-B242-48E9-A5FA-0C9D8B2E70E5 (resized).jpeg
    C06BD642-D42D-4594-ADAF-9230E818890C (resized).jpeg
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah you already told us that 4 times.
    Another classic too-many-pinism. When you do an angry goodbye, you are supposed to actually goodbye and not keep posting.

Should we be building room into our estimate to buy his game then sell it for some pocket money? If so I'm closer to you at $2K.

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Another classic too-many-pinism. Sometimes it's too hard to say goodbye.
    Believe it or not I miss you and I miss this! Reminds of me of those simple pre-pandemic days when we'd got one great Too-Many-Pins thread identical to this a month.
    THe basic formula as I remember it:
    1. Lengthy account of Mysterious motherlode of Pin(s) that only he knows about, and may or may not one day be available for sale.
    2. Lengthy Vague yet enticing descriptions of mystery pin titles and condition
    3. Solicitation of opinions
    4. Lengthy Arguing endlessly against those opinions when they are offered
    5. Lengthy Admonishing of pinside for the drama, while continuing to post lengthy drama-inducing responses.
    6. "I'm outta here!"
    7. "I'm outta here!"
    8. "I'm outta here!"

Do you know what finger I am holding up for you right now. YOUR the ASS that keeps starting shit. F you!

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Do you know what finger I am holding up for you right now. YOUR the ASS that keeps starting shit. F you!

Don't let it get to you, Skip. As much as Levi likes to stir the pot at times, you have to admit he's not completely wrong with his assessment.

We all have quirks and it's healthy to be able to laugh at ourselves.

#54 2 years ago

If the R&B threads got this heated back when I owned the game, maybe I'd still have mine!

Fun and games aside though, I hope too-many-pins will let us know what it ends up selling for, it's interesting to see where the market is at these days.

#55 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

If the R&B threads got this heated back when I owned the game, maybe I'd still have mine!
    Fun and games aside though, I hope too-many-pins will let us know what it ends up selling for, it's interesting to see where the market is at these days.

I’d be curious what it sells for too. If only we knew the condition, blue cabinet or less common European black? And saw a few pics of the machine.
    Too many pins I value the machine as you’ve described it as somewhere between $1 and $4500. I hope that’s helpful!

You’ve been on Pinside for 9 years. Do you know how to search previous sales in the marketplace?

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Don't let it get to you, Skip. As much as Levi likes to stir the pot at times, you have to admit he's not completely wrong with his assessment.
    We all have quirks and it's healthy to be able to laugh at ourselves.

The thing with me is I am not "normal" - unlike CrazyLevi & a lot of other people I go out of my way to help people and when it comes to buying & selling it isn't just about money to me it is about helping people. CrazyLevi has had more stuff listed & sold on Pinside than I have - he has been around about as long as I have and yet he has a whopping 9 positive feedbacks compared to my 32 (and I don't ask for feedbacks when I sell stuff).

If you see my original post here I just asked a simple question and yet CrazyLevi has to start a bunch of shit. I'll never do what "most people" consider normal because "normal" doesn't work for me. Over the last 50+ years I have bought and sold millions of dollars worth of stuff and I rarely make much money on a transaction. Not because I am stupid but because I really don't give a rats ass about money. To me the perfect amount of money is "enough" (keeping my bills paid and a little beyond that in case of an emergency but not a lot of excess). My goal is always to help sellers and to get what I am selling to someone who will enjoy it - nothing more & nothing less.

Anyway - like I said originally I was just asking to help someone out. No skin in the game - nothing in it for me - just a simple question "current value of a fairly nice Rocky & Bullwinkle" assuming the condition of the machine was similar to other stuff I saw at the guys house. Yet somehow CrazyLevi has to turn it into a pissing contest?

Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I’d be curious what it sells for too. If only we knew the condition, blue cabinet or less common European black? And saw a few pics of the machine.
    Too many pins I value the machine as you’ve described it as somewhere between $1 and $4500. I hope that’s helpful!
    You’ve been on Pinside for 9 years. Do you know how to search previous sales in the marketplace?

I'll never know what it sells for because I am totally uninvolved. As far as searching "past sales" that stuff was great up until about two years ago but the pinball market is so insane right now sales history means very little. But my original question was pretty straight forward until CrazyLevi did his typical BS. I asked what the current market value for a NICE Rocky & Bullwinkle would be in today's market. (It really isn't a complicated question and didn't need a lot of drama. If machine has issues that would have to be considered once you establish a fair market value for a nice machine. Then you subtract for any issues - not rocket science!)

Anyway - there will be no updates to this post because I know nothing more than anyone else. What I know is I bought some trains from a guy who is talking about selling a Rocky & Bullwinkle machine. Nothing more and nothing less.

#57 2 years ago

I like trains
    There should be more trains and less squirrels in pinball.

Just sayin

#58 2 years ago

Almost forgot

Killroy was here

#59 2 years ago

I needed this thread today. Classic too many pins. Classic Levi. Classic Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#60 2 years ago

Biggest raging dumpster fire thread award. Congratulations to all involved.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

I like trains
    There should be more trains and less squirrels in pinball.
    Just sayin

Zaccaria's Locomotion likely has the best train backglass you will ever see. Sadly it is a Zaccaria and I just don't want to deal with owning anymore Zaccaria machines. We have owned several of them and I am just not a fan of having to do board work on them.

#62 2 years ago
    FF76C097-AEA2-448F-8E05-2F5249089FF2 (resized).jpegFF76C097-AEA2-448F-8E05-2F5249089FF2 (resized).jpeg
    #63 2 years ago

Like many pinballs these days...

It's worth whatever someone dumb enough to buy a truly terrible game will pay. you are welcome.

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Believe it or not I miss you and I miss this! Reminds of me of those simple pre-pandemic days when we'd got one great Too-Many-Pins thread identical to this a month.
    1. Lengthy account of Mysterious motherlode of Pin(s) that only he knows about, and may or may not one day be available for sale.
    5. Lengthy Admonishing of pinside for the drama, while continuing to post lengthy drama-inducing responses.
    6. "I'm outta here!"
    7. "I'm outta here!"
    8. "I'm outta here!"

Levi, it’s called the Midwest Goodbye.

I sincerely imagine this:

#65 2 years ago

The thing with me is I am not "normal" - unlike CrazyLevi & a lot of other people I go out of my way to help people and when it comes to buying & selling it isn't just about money to me it is about helping people. CrazyLevi has had more stuff listed & sold on Pinside than I have - he has been around about as long as I have and yet he has a whopping 9 positive feedbacks compared to my 32 (and I don't ask for feedbacks when I sell stuff).
    If you see my original post here I just asked a simple question and yet CrazyLevi has to start a bunch of shit. I'll never do what "most people" consider normal because "normal" doesn't work for me. Over the last 50+ years I have bought and sold millions of dollars worth of stuff and I rarely make much money on a transaction. Not because I am stupid but because I really don't give a rats ass about money. To me the perfect amount of money is "enough" (keeping my bills paid and a little beyond that in case of an emergency but not a lot of excess). My goal is always to help sellers and to get what I am selling to someone who will enjoy it - nothing more & nothing less.
    Anyway - like I said originally I was just asking to help someone out. No skin in the game - nothing in it for me - just a simple question "current value of a fairly nice Rocky & Bullwinkle" assuming the condition of the machine was similar to other stuff I saw at the guys house. Yet somehow CrazyLevi has to turn it into a pissing contest?

I'll never know what it sells for because I am totally uninvolved. As far as searching "past sales" that stuff was great up until about two years ago but the pinball market is so insane right now sales history means very little. But my original question was pretty straight forward until CrazyLevi did his typical BS. I asked what the current market value for a NICE Rocky & Bullwinkle would be in today's market. (It really isn't a complicated question and didn't need a lot of drama. If machine has issues that would have to be considered once you establish a fair market value for a nice machine. Then you subtract for any issues - not rocket science!)
    Anyway - there will be no updates to this post because I know nothing more than anyone else. What I know is I bought some trains from a guy who is talking about selling a Rocky & Bullwinkle machine. Nothing more and nothing less.

Don’t let it get to you, Skip. We’re all bored, there’s not much to do and pinball is gridlocked at these stupid prices. Not a lot of buying and selling anymore and projects are like rain in the desert.
    Pinside is our only haven for entertainment in these trying times.

#66 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Don’t let it get to you, Skip. We’re all bored, there’s not much to do and pinball is gridlocked at these stupid prices. Not a lot of buying and selling anymore and projects are like rain in the desert.
    Pinside is our only haven for entertainment in these trying times.

I am just so glad I sold the Pinball Parts Business a couple years ago and changed over to doing the model railroad stuff again. The guy I sold the parts business to is doing very well with the parts I sold him but the pinball hobby just isn't any fun anymore for me. 4 or 5 more machines to sell from the collection and then we will be down to a rational number of machines in the basement. After that I'll just close out my Pinside account and move on to other things.

It was a fun ride for about 10 years but after the two warehouse deals tried to kill me and with the way the hobby has changed I am 100% over it. And in my book once it isn't fun it isn't worth doing. Life is way to short to not be having a good time 100% of the time. And I just don't get any enjoyment from much pinball related these days.

I will say driving to pick up a few boxes of trains every few days is a lot less stressful than the unknowns of buying pinball machines. I can't tell you how many times I darn near killed myself moving 300 pound pinball machines out of basements or second floor room by myself so I am glad all of that is behind me. And taking 50 or 60 machines to a pinball show wasn't an easy task either. A couple handtrucks full of trains sets me up at most shows and I make as much on a load like that as I did on a couple dozen pinball machines. As my kid keep saying "dad you need to work smarter not harder".

Anyway you guys that are still having fun with the hobby I am happy for you but I am over it!

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Levi, it’s called the Midwest Goodbye.
    I sincerely imagine this:

The end of every zoom call !

#68 2 years ago

And in my book once it isn't fun it isn't worth doing. Life is way to short to not be having a good time 100% of the time

Outta all the text taking up server space this is the golden nugget!

Hey Too Many Pins. What's a complete 12 train Ho Walters "The Great Circus 1967" worth? Where do you find pricing info on trains these days? I gotta few trains from my dad I need to sell. Serious questions.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:Where do you find pricing info on trains these days?

Trainside

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

Hey Too Many Pins. What's a complete 12 train Ho Walters "The Great Circus 1967" worth? Where do you find pricing info on trains these days? I gotta few trains from my dad I need to sell. Serious questions.

Sadly unlike pinball machines train values have dropped over the years instead of going up. A "real world" price on that set would likely be in the $180 to $240 range (retail) if it is nice & in original boxes. Some cars are more valuable than others so like anything else you might get more selling them one at a time but the issue doing things that way is there will be a couple in the end that will be tough to sell.

Condition greatly impacts prices on trains also so NOS will be worth more than stuff that has been assembled and used. Stuff with broken or missing parts typically brings about 25% of what nice stuff brings. So like pinball condition is everything when talking about values of trains.

As far as selling sadly eBay is currently the best venue to sell trains on. Stuff brings a lot more on eBay than I could ever get for it at shows. So 90% of the trains I sell are getting sold on eBay. On a positive note - if priced correctly trains still sell fairly well. I am mostly a Post War Lionel guy but I buy and sell just about anything model railroad related to fund the madness.

I have had a deal with my wife for over 40 years that "hobby money" funds the hobby. That way she doesn't get made at me for spending money on stuff we really don't need. Thankfully the pinball parts business funded the step over to trains and now the trains are funding themself. Sadly stuff that was worth hundreds of dollars back in the 1980's is typically bringing about 30 cents on the dollar to what it was selling for back then. So I need to be careful when buying that I am basing my offers on today's prices and not on the prices I was paying back in the 1980's. Post War Lionel accessories have taken the biggest hit as far as values go. Lionel HO has also really dropped in value over the past 40 years. But in general N gauge & HO trains seem to be doing OK value wise compared to Lionel and I think that is at least partly due to the larger size of Lionel trains and people not having space for them.

Enough about trains - this is a pinball forum so I need to stop typing!

#71 2 years ago

R&B is not one of the DE pins in high demand, sub 3k sounds right.

If I had to choose between LW3 and R&B, LW3 would win that contest all day long.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's almost zero chance the MPU isn't covered in green battery corrosion and will need to be replaced. And DE games do not hold up nearly as well as Bally/WIlliams stuff from the same era, almost everything is built with that little extra touch of shitiness.

You mean battery damaged MPU's just like every other manufacturer on the planet?

No one is exempt from this problem and yet you can be counted on to shat on Data East at every opportunity.

DSC_7359-Custom (resized).jpgDSC_7359-Custom (resized).jpgpb-0323 (resized).jpgpb-0323 (resized).jpg
    #73 2 years ago

I had a rocky and Bullwinkle for a couple of years and I thought it was a really fun game. I sold it for 2k a few years ago but 3k seems about right now

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from Friengineer:

There's a few paperback price guides. Try looking in a bookstore like "Borders". I did well selling old Lionel trains a few years back.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

You mean battery damaged MPU's just like every other manufacturer on the planet?
    No one is exempt from this problem and yet you can be counted on to shat on Data East at every opportunity. [quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, exactly like that.

Just because a guy waxes his tractor doesn't mean the MPU won't be covered in green battery corrosion.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

There's a few paperback price guides. Try looking in a bookstore like "Borders". I did well selling old Lionel trains a few years back.

As with the pinball machines (or anything else you are buying & selling) price guides are a good starting point but the issue with price guides is the information in them is only as good as the author who wrote them. And if that isn't bad enough even the most recent price guides are giving you information that is 18 to 30 months old. By the time the author gathers his information and publishes a book at least a year has gone by and typically it is closer to two years.

Things change quickly these days so it is always best to use as many sources as possible to determine the value of anything. That is why I typically do my "what is the current value of ___ ________ " here on Pinside when trying to value a pin I am not sure where the price point should be. It always come with a little drama but in the end once I sort through all the BS I end up with enough useful information to make it worth it.

In the end if value of anything is basically the number someone is willing to pay for it and the amount of money the seller is willing to accept. Very often those two numbers don't "mesh up" so the item just doesn't sell. Yesterday I had a good example of that with a guy I have been trying to close the deal on a small trains collection with. He has had it listed for months because he was getting ready to move. He was asking $2000 for the stuff and my number was $1500. I told him I could stretch it to $1600 but his bottom line is $1750. So now after two months of me trying he is going to pack the collection up and store it as his son's house. A couple hundred dollars isn't a lot of money but each of us had our limits and the math just didn't work so I had to walk away.

Anyway - THANKS to all who posted here. Even with the drama I got the information I was looking for and in the end that is all that matters to me.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, exactly like that.
    Just because a guy waxes his tractor doesn't mean the MPU won't be covered in green battery corrosion.

On the "flip side" just because you got a machine with damage on a board doesn't say that every machine has damage on the MPU. I already told the guy condition is everything when it come to the value (or price) of his machine. That is just common sense. And if you go back to my original post I said "what is the value of a nice Rocky & Bullwinkle" - I never said $4000 or that the guy was going to use the number I was giving him. All I said was from everything else I saw at his house I have to assume the machine was likely very nice.

If I was a betting person I would say if the machine isn't Home Use Only I would bet it came from Heatherly's Pinball Barn years ago because this guy was in that same area and both Dan & Bill Heatherly targeted high end customers for their machines much like HEP does today. Anyone local to this area who knows anything about higher end machines knows who the Heatherly's are. For years they did work that was well known and respected in our area so I was always happy to see a Pinball Barn sticker on a machine I was looking at and considering purchasing.

In any event THANKS AGAIN to all for your input. From everything posted it appears in this case Boston Pinball and Pinside price estimates are likely spot on for that machine. If anyone does see that machine pop up for sale please let me know. I would like to know if it is as nice as I expect it will be. I probably should have taken a look at it when I was their but I didn't want to temp myself to buy another machine and I know I am weak when it comes to walking away from a deal. Plus I had a pocket full of cash and my van along so it wouldn't have taken much for me to have loaded it in my van.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

6. "I'm outta here!"
    7. "I'm outta here!"
    8. "I'm outta here!"

This is coming from that enjoys too-many-pins posts; this is so true.

#79 2 years ago

The thing with me is I am not "normal"
    Anyway - there will be no updates to this post

#80 2 years ago

As far as "updated to this post" I was talking about nothing more posted about that machine. I didn't say I wasn't going to post again.

I know I talk too much and I know I post too much sometimes but I tend to get frustrated when all I ask is for some simple answers and things become a "pissing contest".

Unlike most people I am a deep thinker and a long term planner that likes to gather as much information as possible. So I am willing to put up with the BS here on Pinside if I can get a little useful information by doing so. In the end it is all about helping people and learning as much as possible along the way. So even some of the expected BS is worth it to me just to get the information I was looking for. I fully understand people being jealous and trying to drag me down but my success has come from helping people so I am not going to change the way I do things because of a few A-holes that don't like me.

Anyway - thanks again for the useful information from this post. I'll be doing it again sometime shortly when we decide what machines are next to get sold off from our collection. But for now I am headed back to the train stuff. Have fun guys!

#81 2 years ago

Unlike most people I am a deep thinker and a long term planner that likes to gather as much information as possible.

If you stopped at "most people are idiots," everyone would agree with you. But boldly labeling yourself as a visionary just invites mockery. Which a number of Pinsiders are happy to provide but which you don't seem to care for. If you want to convey your deep thinking skills just post some deep thoughts already.

#82 2 years ago

I'll be doing it again sometime shortly when we decide what machines are next to get sold off from our collection.

Excellent.

Now, whatever you do, be sure not to just simply list the games you have for sale, with approximate condition, and with asking prices. That's not the "deep thinker" way to list and sell pinball machines.

Instead, you should probably say they may be for sale. Or they may not be. And then ask everybody's opinion on what the prices of those games should be if in fact they are ever for sale which one day they may be or they may never be it really depends on tractor wax and what your particular mood is on that day.

Also, trains.

Then, make sure to argue endlessly and pointlessly against the opinions you are offered, while at the same time, telling people to stop PMing you because the games may not actually be for sale.

And also - and this is IMPORTANT - whatever you do, whatever happens, do not list them all at once. Please make sure to do a separate, identical, lengthy, and brutal thread exactly like this for every single game that may or not be for sale, so we get to spend months working through this collection of games that could very well but also possibly are not for sale.

Looking forward to it!

#83 2 years ago

Unlike most people I am a deep thinker...

Wow.

#84 2 years ago

I found the model train crowd to be 100% more toxic than the pinball crowd in every way. I enjoyed the hobby, but the people involved in it is what soured me away. Having been involved in both...i'm glad I am here instead of there.

One thing both crowds have in common is some of their esteemed members not taking their monthly shower before going to their respective Allentown shows.

#85 2 years ago

"Deep thought" for today. If everyone keeps replying and mocking me this post stays on page one and I am able to keep getting information from it when someone has something productive to say. So as long as you guys keep bumping this post to the top of the page you keep helping me so thank you for that.

#86 2 years ago

So as long as you guys keep bumping this post to the top of the page you keep helping me so thank you for that.

Oh you can;t help but give us gold so it's working out for everyone.

#87 2 years ago

"Deep thought" for today. If everyone keeps replying and mocking me this post stays on page one and I am able to keep getting information from it when someone has something productive to say. So as long as you guys keep bumping this post to the top of the page you keep helping me so thank you for that.

How much more pricing info do you think you are going to get? You gave the dude a range, then you asked people here who gave you ranges. Do you really think you are going to get something else? And if you are not buying the machine or middle-manning it, why do you care what the price is?

Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely confused.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

How much more pricing info do you think you are going to get? You gave the dude a range, then you asked people here who gave you ranges. Do you really think you are going to get something else? And if you are not buying the machine or middle-manning it, why do you care what the price is?
    Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely confused.

The "trolls" are what keep pushing this post back to the top and then I feed them just having a little fun. Like I said yesterday I already got what information I was looking for so I don't expect anything more out of this post.

As far as caring what the price is - or should be - I have found over the years by helping people it has opened doors for me that have made me tens of thousands of dollars. Since most people only care about themself when you go out of your way to help someone a lot of people remember that. And sometimes (even years later) something good comes out of it. The two biggest pinball deals I ever made came from helping someone when their was nothing in it for me. In one case 5 years later one of the people I helped out turned me on to a deal containing over 100 pinball & arcade machines. So don't underestimate what "being a good guy" can bring in return. I don't do it for those reasons but I have found helping people is very rewarding so I have always done that. Just something I learned from my grandparents when I was a kid that always stuck with me. One of my grandmothers favorite saying was "you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar" which as a kid never made a lot of sense to me but as I got older I understood what she was talking about.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh you can;t help but give us gold so it's working out for everyone.

Once I am finally done here on Pinside maybe I'll explain to some of the "clueless" people who have mocked me over the years how they have helped me make a ton of money. For now just saying THANK YOU for the help is good enough for me. Bottom line is while you are making fun of me I am making money so it is all good!

#89 2 years ago

Once I am finally done here on Pinside maybe I'll explain to some of the "clueless" people who have mocked me over the years how they have helped me make a ton of money. For now just saying THANK YOU for the help is good enough for me.

I assume you're referring to Levi here? If you buy that Bullwinkle at $1500 like he suggested, you're pretty much guaranteed to make a nice profit when you flip it. Teekee, on the other hand, you want to keep far away from your friend until you complete the purchase.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I assume you're referring to Levi here? If you buy that Bullwinkle at $1500 like he suggested, you're pretty much guaranteed to make a nice profit when you flip it. Teekee, on the other hand, you want to keep far away from your friend until you complete the purchase.

The information from these topics really has nothing to do with making me money. But when I have something I am thinking about selling and people keep bouncing my post back to the top more people are seeing the post and more people are sending me PM's trying to buy what I am going to be selling. Typically I actually sell more machines before I put them up for sale than I do if I have to list them for sale.

I always make donations to Robin here at Pinside so it isn't about avoiding fees. It is all about getting the word out to as many people as possible and having post stay on page one really helps with that.

As far as this topic - it had nothing to do with any of that. It was just all about trying to help someone who gave me a good deal on some trains. In any event it is time to just let this topic fade away and move on. I got the information I needed yesterday.

#91 2 years ago

The "trolls" are what keep pushing this post back to the top and then I feed them just having a little fun. Like I said yesterday I already got what information I was looking for so I don't expect anything more out of this post.
    As far as caring what the price is - or should be - I have found over the years by helping people it has opened doors for me that have made me tens of thousands of dollars. Since most people only care about themself when you go out of your way to help someone a lot of people remember that. And sometimes (even years later) something good comes out of it. The two biggest pinball deals I ever made came from helping someone when their was nothing in it for me. In one case 5 years later one of the people I helped out turned me on to a deal containing over 100 pinball & arcade machines. So don't underestimate what "being a good guy" can bring in return. I don't do it for those reasons but I have found helping people is very rewarding so I have always done that. Just something I learned from my grandparents when I was a kid that always stuck with me. One of my grandmothers favorite saying was "you attract more bees with honey than with vinegar" which as a kid never made a lot of sense to me but as I got older I understood what she was talking about.

Once I am finally done here on Pinside maybe I'll explain to some of the "clueless" people who have mocked me over the years how they have helped me make a ton of money. For now just saying THANK YOU for the help is good enough for me. Bottom line is while you are making fun of me I am making money so it is all good!

You missed my point completely. Nobody is arguing about helping folks out. However, you gave the guy a price, came here to get prices, and now are just floating. What additional pricing info are you getting?

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You missed my point completely. Nobody is arguing about helping folks out. However, you gave the guy a price, came here to get prices, and now are just floating. What additional pricing info are you getting?

NONE so it is time to just let this topic fade away. Anything more is just feeding the trolls.

If anyone wants to "talk more" PLEASE just PM me. But it is time to let this topic fade away and move on.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

No one is exempt from this problem and yet you can be counted on to shat on Data East at every opportunity. [quoted image][quoted image]

I didn't mean to offend anybody personally with my opinion on DE games, just sharing my experiences. In my 22 years of experience and having owned/gone through dozens of DE games, I've found them to be fairly shitty. Certainly not beyond repair or refurbishment, they just didn't seem to make them as well as the Williams / Bally stuff. Everything seems to be designed and fabricated just a little bit shittier.

I certainly didn't mean to intimate that you'll only find battery corrosion on DE games. I was pointing that at this point in time, decades after they were built, you are almost certain to find it on ANY "as-is" game, even if the guy keeps a fresh coat of wax on his tractor. I started to notice this about 10 years ago...before then, I'd say more often than not the games were fine, and batteries hadn't damaged the boards. These days it's probably more like 80 percent.

If your experiences have been better than mine on DE games and you think they were built really well and age really well, I'm glad to hear it. Congrats! You've had better experiences than I.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I didn't mean to offend anybody personally with my opinion on DE games, just sharing my experiences. In my 22 years of experience and having owned/gone through dozens of DE games, I've found them to be fairly shitty. Certainly not beyond repair or refurbishment, they just didn't seem to make them as well as the Williams / Bally stuff. Everything seems to be designed and fabricated just a little bit shittier.
    I certainly didn't mean to intimate that you'll only find battery corrosion on DE games. I was pointing that at this point in time, decades after they were built, you are almost certain to find it on ANY "as-is" game, even if the guy keeps a fresh coat of wax on his tractor. I started to notice this about 10 years ago...before then, I'd say more often than not the games were fine, and batteries hadn't damaged the boards. These days it's probably more like 80 percent.
    If your experiences have been better than mine on DE games and you think they were built really well and age really well, I'm glad to hear it. Congrats! You've had better experiences than I.

I do agree with you about the build quality of Data East machines but some of our favorite machines are some of the Data East stuff so that is mostly what we have in our collection. Thankfully once they are done - in a home collection they seem to hold up OK. But Williams System 11 machines are by far the best machines ever built as far as overall build quality and the Bally machines from that same era are a close second.

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have owned over 20 DE pins at this point and the only "common failure" I have seen on a number of them has the been GI 9 pin connectors at the Power Supply Board and the Playfield Power Board. Age, resistance and loads take their toll.

That's it; And DE is hardly alone with this problem as I'd be happy to show you a Space Shuttle in the shop that had smoked the GI connectors in the exact same manner. And it was fixed the same way- New Molex connectors and Trifurcon terminals & Comet LEDS.

DE flipper mechs are tanks (crack a walnut with them kid!), slingshot mechs so robust the Stern is still using them to this day along with the removable popper mechs. The early DE pins actually used Williams spec boards for interchangeability. Hell Data East was ahead of Williams in fusing the bridges so the wiring doesn't catch fire! Williams did not fuse the bridges till ironically "Fire"

The vast majority of DE problems I have seen were related to utter hacks done by operators to keep the change rolling in or utter calamity caused by people "working on pins" who had no right being under the hood in the first place.

I'd say my ownership in DE is no worse or better than any other pin in my collection. The Bally's have crappy linear flipper mechs and the lamp sockets utterly suck, more often than not you are buying a dead one off CL and the MPU battery has shit the bed and wiped out a bunch of lamp drivers for good measure. Gottlieb will drive you insane with edge connectors, popper boards and particle board cabinets. Early Williams single wound solid state flippers utterly suck and have all the power of an 80's Yugo, not to mention that lovely 40 pin interconnect that has to be replaced and undersized diodes on the power board that let the magic smoke out.

Data East is the ONLY pin manufacture in the bunch who largely stayed away from particle board in the cabs, thank God.

I have all of them; Data East, Williams, Gottlieb, Stern (old and new) Bally and even a Chicago Coin for good measure. Aside from Black Hole poking me in the eye periodically because it's an evil son of a bitch, all are reliable. At Pintastic Seawitch and DE Playboy both saw over 500 plays (EACH) in 48 hours, neither one so much as got a ball stuck despite being hammered to death non-stop by the general public.

Sorry for the wall of text, going back to work on my scratch built Quicksilver now.
    11b28ebe190ceff2398e29a89e80b4cd0f917101 (resized).jpg11b28ebe190ceff2398e29a89e80b4cd0f917101 (resized).jpg

#96 2 years ago

Holy Christ, some of these paragraphs are like War and Peace size.

I sold my R&B a couple years ago for $2500. I'd say $3500 all day long nowadays.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Holy Christ, some of these paragraphs are like War and Peace size..

Have to admit I used proper paragraph and punctuation though. It's all good.

#98 2 years ago

I don't even know what a Rocky & Bullwinkle is supposed to be? Lame theme for sure. Was it something popular in the 90s?

I also didn't know that No Fear was a clothing line or whatever. I thought it was just an extreme sports theme. Guess I was too busy in the 90s to pay attention to that crap.

I'm also certainly not reading the book that is this thread for clues.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I don't even know what a Rocky & Bullwinkle is supposed to be? Lame theme for sure. Was it something popular in the 90s?

Try the 50s and 60s. It was an awesome children's cartoon, totally nuts and lots of very inventive stuff crammed into it (especially when you consider the era in which it was made). For those with fond memories of the show the theme is great. I watched 'em on VHS in the 80s and was interested based on theme alone when one popped up locally.

For those that never watched the show, it'd be like trying to get your dad interested in a South Park pin.

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Try the 50s and 60s. It was an (awesome) children's cartoon.

Oh ok, that explains why I don't know what it is. Why did get it made in the 90s though?

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-going-price-for-a-rocky-amp-bullwinkle-machine/page/2?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.