(Topic ID: 312184)

What is the "going price" for a Rocky & Bullwinkle Machine?

By too-many-pins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 125 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinballkim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wax (resized).jpeg
    RB Movie (resized).jpg
    11b28ebe190ceff2398e29a89e80b4cd0f917101 (resized).jpg
    DSC_7359-Custom (resized).jpg
    pb-0323 (resized).jpg
    FF76C097-AEA2-448F-8E05-2F5249089FF2 (resized).jpeg
    8EDE37CC-B242-48E9-A5FA-0C9D8B2E70E5 (resized).jpeg
    C06BD642-D42D-4594-ADAF-9230E818890C (resized).jpeg
    There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

As many of you that know me know I have gotten away from messing with Pinball Stuff and started doing model railroad stuff again. Anyway, today I was picking up some trains from a guy that was moving and happened to tell him I just got back from delivering a pinball machine to New Jersey. He replied "you know about pinball machines I have one we are thinking about selling" we talked a little more and I told him I would do a little research and see what would be a good asking price for it.

I did not see the machine but if the condition of the trains I purchased and the way his house looked is an indicator, I would say the machine is likely in super nice shape.

THANKS for any opinions!

#2 2 years ago

My only advice if you are looking for a going price is keep him away from Pinside !

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

My only advice if you are looking for a going price is keep him away from Pinside !

I am just asking so I can pass the information along to the seller. I have no interest in buying it or getting involved. The guy treated me fairly with the train stuff he sold me so I figured I would try to help him out. I told him my best guess would be $2800 to $3200 depending on how bad someone wanted it and how quickly he wanted to sell it.

#4 2 years ago

Yes probably something in that range, even 3500 if he is in good shape.

#5 2 years ago

Pricing suggestions seem pretty high. We are talking about an as-is, very old Data East game that will probably need a ton of work. There's almost zero chance the MPU isn't covered in green battery corrosion and will need to be replaced. And DE games do not hold up nearly as well as Bally/WIlliams stuff from the same era, almost everything is built with that little extra touch of shitiness.

I've just been through this with a DE Simpsons game. I paid well under $2k for it, and good thing too, as it required a lot of work and a new MPU, and that was a pain in the ass in itself. Rottendog - not always known for the greatest design decisions on earth - doesn't include the main processing chip, "to save the consumer money. Just move the chip over from the old board!" Which is really brilliant until you realize that this chip is located directly underneath the battery holder, and almost 100 percent will certainly be completely green with battery damage. The new chips aren't always perfect, and changing the chips can be a pain in the ass etc. etc...it took me a few chips to get it right and even then after moving the game it had to be reseated for the game to boot. Just a dumb idea to "save the consumer" about $8. It boggles my mind that they made this decision, you wonder if there's more to it. All drop targets will be replaced, any VUKs will probably need attention, the backbox animation is probably broken, and there will be any other number of issues that you probably would never have even thought of.

But I digress.

My suggestion would be keep it at $2K or less or don't bother, unless it's REALLY nice inside and out. I would suggest the guy you are "trying to help out" is made to understand this and doesn't expect a retail price for his most-likely project game.

$1500-$2000 is my likely estimate. Yes, even in 2022. Doesn't mean someone won't pay more but I wouldn't want to be that person.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your pricing seems pretty high. We are talking about an as-is, very old Data East game that will probably need a ton of work. There's almost zero chance the MPU isn't covered in green battery corrosion and will need to be replaced. And DE games do not hold up nearly as well as Bally/WIlliams stuff from the same era, almost everything is built just a little bit shittier.
    I've just been through this with a DE Simpsons game.
    My suggestion would be keep it at $2K or less or don't bother, unless it's REALLY nice inside and out.

Plus the game sucks and the sound is insufferable, so there's that too .

But hard to say without pics, etc. Once you pass 2500 for that title it better be a super clean example IMO.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

... and the sound is insufferable...

I can never decide between R&B or Simpsons being the worst.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I can never decide between R&B or Simpsons being the worst.

WRONG HAT

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pricing suggestions seem pretty high. We are talking about an as-is, very old Data East game that will probably need a ton of work. There's almost zero chance the MPU isn't covered in green battery corrosion and will need to be replaced. And DE games do not hold up nearly as well as Bally/WIlliams stuff from the same era, almost everything is built just a little bit shittier.
    I've just been through this with a DE Simpsons game. I paid well under $2k for it, and good thing too, as it required a lot of work and a new MPU, and that was a pain in the ass in itself. Rottendog - not always known for the greatest design decisions on earth - doesn't include the main processing chip, "to save the consumer money. Just move the chip over from the old board!" Which is really brilliant until you realize that this chip is located directly underneath the battery holder, and almost 100 percent will certainly be completely green with battery damage. The new chips aren't always perfect, and changing the chips can be a pain in the ass etc. etc...it took me a few chips to get it right and even then after moving the game it had to be reseated for the game to boot. Just a dumb idea to save $3 in production costs.
    But I digress.
    My suggestion would be keep it at $2K or less or don't bother, unless it's REALLY nice inside and out.

As a DE lover, Levi is right. Just because this guy has nice trains doesn’t mean the machine is in good shape. It’s probably beat to shit, and he had no idea how to maintain it.
    Just the fact that he’s asking you the price on it makes it sound like he just had it kick around for years, probably broke down and now he wants to move it.

Especially being a DE, it probably needs a complete overhaul. I bought a LW3 that’s been on route nonstop since it came out of the box, 30 years of service. It has had so many problems, stuff broke that you wouldn’t believe!

If you want a working Data East you need to do a complete overhaul and they’re just terrible to work on. I enjoy mine immensely but the work is demoralizing and the parts are mostly garbage. And Steve Young also can’t stand when you talk about DE games, lol. Find the Williams equivalent part before your order!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If you want a working Data East you need to do a complete overhaul and they’re just terrible to work on. I enjoy mine immensely but the work is demoralizing and the parts are mostly garbage. And Steve Young also can’t stand when you talk about DE games, lol. Find the Williams equivalent part before your order!

You have to be some kind of a mechanical genius to replace those VUK assemblies as well, that's just one thing that comes to mind.

#13 2 years ago

Check out this Nasty ass board from the Simpsons I bought. The miracle here - and I have ZERO clue how this was even possible - this board worked 100 percent except for the kickback, which had had the associated transistor removed.

I haven’t thrown it out yet for some reason I can’t comprehend. It’s wrapped in about 6 layers of plastic to keep it from infecting anything else.

Note the "blanking chip" socket under the battery holder, housing the 6803 chip you are supposed to simply remove and move over to your brand new Rottendog MPU to "save the consumer" money. Genius!

8EDE37CC-B242-48E9-A5FA-0C9D8B2E70E5 (resized).jpeg8EDE37CC-B242-48E9-A5FA-0C9D8B2E70E5 (resized).jpegC06BD642-D42D-4594-ADAF-9230E818890C (resized).jpegC06BD642-D42D-4594-ADAF-9230E818890C (resized).jpeg

#14 2 years ago

Have you tried dipping it in holy water?

#15 2 years ago

If you saw this guys house you wouldn't have doubts about the condition of his machine. I would bet his property goes on the market for over a million dollars and he was out sweeping up a little bit of dirt in from in front of his 5 car garage with a dust pan and brush when I got their. EVERYTHING we insanely nice I saw outside and you could eat your dinner off his garage floor. So when he said the machine was in nice shape I have no doubt it is. His garden tractor even looked like he kept it waxed.

I didn't ask him a lot of questions about it but he said it was fully working and basically looked like new. I don't know if he purchased it new or used but if he bought it used I would bet it was from one of the Heatherly Brothers who were well known in our area for doing nothing but high end machines for years. I can't imagine this guy putting a "junky old project machine" in a place that looked like this.

I told him I had ZERO interest in it and told him I would get back to him with a logical price to expect out of it. I also informed him he likely wouldn't get "retail" money for it unless someone local was seriously interested in adding it to their collection.

It will likely show up on the Harrisburg PA area Facebook pages at some point but I don't have a clue when that might happen (or if it will). All I can say is if you are local to Central PA and are looking for what is likely to be an exceptionally nice Rocky & Bullwinkle keep your eyes on Facebook & Craig's List. His address he uses is Mechanicsburg (just a little southwest of Harrisburg's West Shore).

I promised my wife I wasn't going to get involved so all I am doing is looking for a realistic RETAIL price for something like this. Then the seller & buyer can figure out what is fair once the machine is actually up for sale.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I would say the machine is likely in super nice shape.
    THANKS for any opinions!

If it’s in super nice shape the going rate is $3500-4000. That’s not a deal but it’s definitely the going rate for a really nice R&B

#17 2 years ago

I would bet his property goes on the market for over a million dollars and he was out sweeping up a little bit of dirt in from in front of his 5 car garage with a dust pan and brush when I got their.

Well good for him; why the fuck do we care? He doesn't need any more monies.

PRINCESS CASHMERE

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

PRINCESS CASHMERE

Exactly.

And I've seen TONS of shitty games in mansions. Most people don't know the fucking difference. Seriously. THey'll think a beater is "mint" as long as the cabinet is halfway decent.

Whatever...too-many-pins you seem set on telling this guy his game is worth $4K sight unseen, so have at it. Knock yourself out.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

My point is someone living in a high end house that keeps his yard, driveway and garage nice isn't likely to have some "junk" pinball machine in his gameroom. I don't know what is is about people here on Pinside but everything seems to be a "pissing contest" and that is one of the reasons I walked away from the hobby a couple years ago.

I am an "average working class guy" living in an average house. I don't hate someone for being well off or poor I look at everyone as being just another person doing the best they can in life. Some people get lucky and do well for themselves and that is great. Others are just hanging on keeping a roof over their head and that is OK also. Bottom line is the value of a machine (or anything else) shouldn't be based on what someone has or doesn't have.

When buying or selling I treat everyone the same. I live by the values I was taught as a kid & try to help anyone I can expecting nothing in return. In any event PLEASE stop PM messages to me wanting this guys contact information - etc. This post isn't about that. It is just trying to give someone some real world advice on current value of a pinball machine.

#20 2 years ago

My point is someone living in a high end house that keeps his yard, driveway and garage nice isn't likely to have some "junk" pinball machine in his gameroom. .

Yet he's owns a Rocky & Bullwinkle so....

#21 2 years ago

My point is someone living in a high end house that keeps his yard, driveway and garage nice isn't likely to have some "junk" pinball machine in his gameroom. I don't know what is is about people here on Pinside but everything seems to be a "pissing contest" and that is one of the reasons I walked away from the hobby a couple years ago.
    I am an "average working class guy" living in an average house. I don't hate someone for being well off or poor I look at everyone as being just another person doing the best they can in life. Some people get lucky and do well for themselves and that is great. Others are just hanging on keeping a roof over their head and that is OK also. Bottom line is the value of a machine (or anything else) shouldn't be based on what someone has or doesn't have.
    When buying or selling I treat everyone the same. I live by the values I was taught as a kid & try to help anyone I can expecting nothing in return. In any event PLEASE stop PM messages to me wanting this guys contact information - etc. This post isn't about that. It is just trying to give someone some real world advice on current value of a pinball machine.

He's rich and fabulous and everything he owns is a mint condition museum piece so OBVIOUSLY the game is worth between $5k-8K as-is and that's being generous to the buyer.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Exactly.
    And I've seen TONS of shitty games in mansions. Most people don't know the fucking difference. Seriously. THey'll think a beater is "mint" as long as the cabinet is halfway decent.
    Whatever...too-many-pins you seem set on telling this guy his game is worth $4K sight unseen, so have at it. Knock yourself out.

I never said the guy has a $4000 machine - I asked if the Pinside and Boston Pinball estimates at around $3000 are realistic in today's market.

Bottom line - once the guy decides if he is going to sell it he will decide what he wants for it. Only he knows the history behind the machine & I am sure he will share that once he list it for sale. But my experience with people (after 50+ years of buying and selling) is you can pretty much size someone or something up very quickly and this guy wasn't someone looking for top dollar or blowing smoke. It can up in my conversation with him that I did pinball machines in the past and I'll told him I would get back to him with a "realistic value" for a nice Rocky & Bullwinkle - nothing more & nothing less.

#23 2 years ago

OP this is all you need to know… if it turns out to be a super nice machine as you are expecting he will get $3500-$4000 all day long. Maybe more. Pinside is not a good place to come for price checks… among other things.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

OP this is all you need to know… if it turns out to be a super nice machine as you are expecting he will get $3500-$4000 all day long. Maybe more. Pinside is not a good place to come for price checks… among other things.

These days it seems like the only thing to come to Pinside for is drama. Anyway - nothing in it for me but if you are local to PA and are looking for something like a Rocky & Bullwinkle this one might be posted shortly somewhere. His wife said most of what they have been selling has been on Facebook so I expect that would be where this would get listed. Once they list if for sale anyone interested can figure out the condition - etc.

#25 2 years ago

Too Many Pins is a pinside legend, but I totally forgot about this part of his act...

The "I have a game for sale but it's not for sale maybe it's for sale well it's not for sale but maybe one day it will be for sale" routine.

Like...why do you do this? If a game is for sale list it for sale, even if your middlemanning. "Look out for a Rocky and Bullwinkle that may be for sale in the upcoming future?"

This really needed to happen here? For what purpose? Of COURSE people are going to send you messages about a RB pin if they are interested and local. This surprises you?

Classic too-many-pins!

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whatever...too-many-pins you seem set on ...

Starting a thread asking for opinions and immediately not listening to them? Classic too-many-pins!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Starting a thread asking for opinions and immediately not listening to them? Classic too-many-pins!

It's been years so my memory was super rusty, but yes, all the classic too-many-pinisms are revealing themselves by the post!

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Too Many Pins is a pinside legend, but I totally forgot about this part of his act...
    The "I have a game for sale but it's not for sale maybe it's for sale well it's not for sale but maybe one day it will be for sale" routine.
    Like...why do you do this? If a game is for sale list it for sale, even if your middlemanning. "Look out for a Rocky and Bullwinkle that may be for sale in the upcoming future?"
    This really needed to happen here? For what purpose? Of COURSE people are going to send you messages about a RB pin if they are interested and local. This surprises you?
    Classic too-many-pins!

I dont know about you but I've got a reminder on my phone to check Facebook every 15 minutes for a $4K Rocky and Bullwinkle, so this was very valuable for me.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I dont know about you but I've got a reminder on my phone to check Facebook every 15 minutes for a $4K Rocky and Bullwinkle, so this was very valuable for me.

This fucking thing is literally going to be mint and Rocky's egg will be on our face.
    I'm willing to take the chance though.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You'll know its his because it will be the nicest R&B you've ever seen. You should see this guy's kitchen - he has a silver goblet overflowing with the finest Himaleyan mountain salt, harvested by his private squad of Tibetan monks. The eggs in the fridge were lain by a Uraguayan peacock - the only female specimen known to be left in existence.

The driveway is paved with gold, with platinum flakes to aid with traction. Not that he needs it, as he drives a gorgeous, mint condition Humvee with tires studded with genuine diamonds.

Have I mentioned the backyard garden yet? Curated by Melania Trump herself, and featuring a golden fountain harvested from Versailles and imported on the Concorde itself back in the early 1980s.

I could go on, but I think you get the point. This is going to be one NICE Rocky and Bullwinkle.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I highly doubt the guy will be asking $4k for it. Last night I told him going price seemed to be around $3k

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Classic too-many-pins!

I don't know why you have an issue with me and the way I do things. But I always post what information I have as quickly as I can. Typically stuff takes some time to come together but some people don't seem to realize that. I am always working ahead keeping stuff moving as quickly as possible. That method has worked for me for over 50 years and I am not going to change just because a few people here don't like that. I didn't buy and sell nearly 600 machines in 12 years by waiting until everything was here in my garage before I talked about it. When I was buying and selling muscle cars I typically had them sold before I picked them up and I normally do the same with anything I am buying and selling. Just because you do it differently doesn't make my way wrong!

#32 2 years ago

Again I see why I typically don't even bother with Pinside these days. Ask a simple question and the BS starts all over again. Good luck guys - this old man is done talking about this I need to get back to work and make some money.

Next time I find a machine I'll just do what the rest of you do and grab it cheap then flip it for a big profit instead of trying to help a seller & buyer out.

#33 2 years ago

Again I see why I typically don't even bother with Pinside these days. Ask a simple question and the BS starts all over again. Good luck guys - this old man is done talking about this I need to get back to work and make some money.

Didn't you get answers? Levi is at 2K, I'm around 2.5...someone else is 4K deep into R&B, and it sounds like you already gave him your opinion as well...so 2K to 4K depending on condition (which we don't know) and how bad the buyer wants a R&B, which we also don't know. With the info you have, I think it's not at all a "simple question". What were you expecting aside from that and what you already told him?

#34 2 years ago

As an aside, I have checked and the game is NOT yet listed, I repeat the game is NOT yet listed.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Didn't you get answers? Levi is at 2K, I'm around 2.5...

Remember OP these don’t even count… laughable!

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Remember OP these don’t even count… laughable!

You offering this guy 4K in the dark on this? If you want to scan my collection and make any offers I am ready to listen...

#37 2 years ago

I think the description of the guy's tractor was all Teekee needed to know.

Clearly a $4k game.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Note the "blanking chip" socket under the battery holder, housing the 6803 chip you are supposed to simply remove and move over to your brand new Rottendog MPU to "save the consumer" money. Genius!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

WTF..? I don't want to have to buy a replacement board and have to bother moving my old shitty parts to it to save a couple of bucks. It should be plug-and-play. That's ridiculous.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You offering this guy 4K in the dark on this? If you want to scan my collection and make any offers I am ready to listen...

Did I offer anything? The op asked a question… the going rate for what he thinks is a super nice R&B… stay with us here.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Did I offer anything? The op asked a question… the going rate for what he thinks is a super nice R&B… stay with us here.

Huh? You call our perfectly realistic estimates "laughable" but are willing to go all in on a $4k Rocky and Bullwinkle because the guys supposedly waxes his tractor?

Laughable! I'm literally laughing out of my mouth due to the laughability of it all.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Huh? You call our perfectly realistic estimates "laughable" but are willing to go all in on a $4k Rocky and Bullwinkle because the guys supposedly waxes his tractor?
    Laughable! I'm literally laughing out of my mouth due to the laughability of it all.

You’ve always been laughable… never seen anything but BS coming from you. Go do something with your life.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

I'm with you. I'm interpreting "going rate" as "what someone would pay". If you're not willing to pay what you say something is worth, why should anyone else?

Based on the (basically non existent) information we have, I'd be comfortable paying 2K without seeing it. I don't think I could even muster up 4K for a HUO out of the box R&B, let alone one I haven't seen. No one, not even the guy asking, has see the game, he's seen some trains and a house.

#43 2 years ago

WHERE THE HECK did $4k even come from. I told the guy last night Pinside had it at $2900 and Boston Pinball one year average was $3030

Then I posted here asking if those numbers were good in today's market since I have not had a Rocky & Bullwinkle before.

I also told the guy value would be based on CONDITION & how bad someone wanted it.

No "dog in this race" for me. I was just trying to avoid buying another pinball machine since I promised my wife I was done moving them other than selling off some from out collection.

As far as it "popping up for sale". That might happen 3 months from now or it might not ever happen. All I said about that is the guy had the trains listed on Facebook and his wife said most of what they have been listing for sale has been on Facebook. He didn't have a for sale sign out front so I don't know if the house is up for sale yet. They told me they were starting to "clear things out" and that was why they had the trains up for sale.

I came here and asked a simple question and the drama starts?

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I'm with you. I'm interpreting "going rate" as "what someone would pay". If you're not willing to pay what you say something is worth, why should anyone else?
    Based on the (basically non existent) information we have, I'd be comfortable paying 2K without seeing it. I don't think I could even muster up 4K for a HUO out of the box R&B, let alone one I haven't seen. No one, not even the guy asking, has see the game, he's seen some trains and a house.

You seem lost… never heard him trying to sell it to you. The only thing I read from his first post was the going rate of what he thinks is a super nice machine. Not rocket science here.

#45 2 years ago

They do seem to be around the 4k range for decent ones these days...for some reason.

#47 2 years ago

Have fun guys! I'll check in later to see what all I missed. Right now I need to get back to making a little pocket money with this train stuff.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

You seem lost… never heard him trying to sell it to you. The only thing I read from his first post was the going rate of what he thinks is a super nice machine. Not rocket science here.

Its not any science really, its all about what someone will pay. Have you seen a "super nice" one lately? Has it sold recently? If someone wants to pay 10K I don't care its not my money, but what info are you basing this price on that the rest of us don't have?

#49 2 years ago

Back in 2019 I sold a "player's condition" R&B on Denver Craigslist for $1900. Fully functional with all board damage repaired, new replacement Nell motor, and topper. Not a ton of interest in R&B so it took a month or so to sell.

So I think Levi's $1500-$2000 is low in 2022 (he probably meant that's what he'd pay for it, but he'd be planning to fix and flip it rather than play it so his math would be different than your average buyer). If I were your friend and the game is in excellent shape with no battery damage I'd start at $3,000.

#50 2 years ago

Have fun guys! I'll check in later to see what all I missed. Right now I need to get back to making a little pocket money with this train stuff.

Yeah you already told us that 4 times.

Another classic too-many-pinism. Sometimes it's too hard to say goodbye.

Believe it or not I miss you and I miss this! Reminds of me of those simple pre-pandemic days when we'd got one great Too-Many-Pins thread identical to this a month.

THe basic formula as I remember it:

1. Lengthy account of Mysterious motherlode of Pin(s) that only he knows about, and may or may not one day be available for sale.

2. Lengthy Vague yet enticing descriptions of mystery pin titles and condition

3. Solicitation of opinions

4. Lengthy Arguing endlessly against those opinions when they are offered

5. Lengthy Admonishing of pinside for the drama, while continuing to post lengthy drama-inducing responses.

6. "I'm outta here!"

7. "I'm outta here!"

8. "I'm outta here!"

There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.