(Topic ID: 175129)

What is the fascination with the new Stern Games?

By Robl45

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7ebab6f65d697430363bcc25d3d43274 (resized).jpg
    Amish_horse_and_buggy (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I have yet to see anything in a Stern game that is revolutionary regarding design since 2001.
    Every single device used in pinball design has been recycled since 1932 in one variation or another.

While I agree, there are reasons for it. When you take theme and code away, almost all pinball is exactly the same. Shots from the flippers go up the playfield and return in a controlled or uncontrolled manner. That's the entire hobby in a nutshell. The only difference between games comes down to art, theme (which the callouts are based on), and rules (why are you shooting that shot right now).

What Stern has done well over the years has been integration of those few things. I hate to use an older example, but the end of Two Towers Multiball on LOTR. The one where Gimly yells "Superjackpot, ho ho ho ho". OMG, I've hit that same shot at least 20 times during a particular game, but Gandalf just said "at first light on the fifth day..." and the light is ON!!! Yet it is the same shot that starts modes, and is involved throughout the game.

And they keep doing it. Tron does it like crazy, IM does it like crazy. Metallica, Walking Dead, Take 6 or 7 shots, and make them amazingly fun. Not every game... I'm not a fan of Ghostbusters. But there are enough great ones. The fascination with new Stern games is with the promise that it might be one of their great games. I've had Tron for almost 5 years, and played at least 15 games on it yesterday, just because it's still fun. I love my Williams games too, but the Stern games keep me coming back for more.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

People seem to think deeper is better even when the game gets so deep that they will never see the wizard

But isn't that the magic? I'm realistic. I know I will never enter Valinor... and yet I know everything I need to know to get there. And I can physically do everything needed... just not in the same game. I've done everything but finish ROTK. I want that wizard mode to be there, even though I can't get there. Heck, I once took a vacation from work to try to get to Portal on Tron. I didn't make it then, but I did a few months later. I want wizard modes to be able to have a quest. I want sub-wizard modes along the way (Sea of Simulation, Destroy the Ring, Do or Die hurry-up, Hand of the King) to give me a challenge I can get to.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

For those writing off WOZ; you're really missing out. It's a classic pin where an average layout at best is made amazing with the code and insert design matrix. Here's my quick tip guide:
    Rules: here's a quick 'basic' summary of rules going counterclockwise around the table.
    Crystall Ball modes: spell B-A-L-L then hit spinner shot to start a 2-ball multiball that will effect the playfield in some fashion.
    Haunted Modes: Spell haunted via pops then get the ball into the haunted lane by the pops to start a haunted mode. Note: once haunted is spelled you can kill the power to the pops by holding both flipper buttons - this can help nudge the ball into the haunted lane. Cool and fun feature!
    Rescue mb: 2-part mode- Part 1; hit two targets in the pops to light capture dorothy then make an orbit shot for the monkey to capture her. Part 2; get ball on mini playfield and spell R-E-S-C-U-E, 3 ways of doing this - 1. hit targets and collect their respectful letter, 2. hit the 'search' loop shot - each shot adds the next letter in sequence. 3. bash the door to open it then put the ball in the hole and you'll be awarded the 2 next letters. Once you spell rescue (and have captured dorothy) you have 2 options, bash the door down and start rescue mb, or hit the search loop which will add a ball lock to the multiball in which you'll have to spell RESCUE again to start (or lock another ball) to start the multiball.
    Wicked Witch: Hit the witch to start hurry up modes against the witch. Collect hurry ups by hitting her. Do enough witch hurry ups to play the fireball mode (real fun mode).
    ECMB: Spell lion, scarecrow, tinman via the (3) rollover targets on the playfield. Each character represents a ball lock. Lock 3 for multiball.
    Munchkin modes: spell R-A-I-N-B-O-W then loop the ball around the twister/house a bunch of times to start munchkin mode.
    All these modes are unique and stackable! If you play all the modes mentioned above you'll get a chance to battle the wicked witch (BTWW) and melt the bitch!
    That all said; it's things like making a shot to start a 2nd or 3rd multiball, or stacking modes, or playing the upper playfields while playing the bottom one that makes the layout so great. Making critical shots and knowing where to put the ball that make the shots satisfying. Overall, WOZ game is amazing - but the theme does blow...but the oz and Dorothy call outs are fantastic and so is the music.

Excellent write up. For me, it was the stacking that brought it together. Using ECMB to help towards Rescue jackpots. During some stacks, the colors were just amazing. Good stuff.

#172 7 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

In a few cases that may be true but overall stern games do not flow or combo as well as most top B/W games. They have the speed but not the flow in my opinion. GB has absolutely zero flow and the ball returns suck. TWD premium/LE is another layout disaster in my opinion were the ball flies of the ramps, shots do not setup other shots, etc. ST, IM, Tron, SM all have a good combination of both though. Compare those to WH2O, MM, SS, TOM, etc and which games are truly smoother shooting? If anything sterns designs seem to be going the opposite direction with recent releases.

This doesn't account for the fact that Stern puts out games year after year. They can't all be flow monsters, because we all have different tastes. TWD was never meant to be a flow game, but GOT Pro is. Tron was too. If every game was the same flow over and over, we wouldn't like them. We demand differences. Different rules and flow year after year.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-fascination-with-the-new-stern-games?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.