(Topic ID: 175129)

What is the fascination with the new Stern Games?

By Robl45

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7ebab6f65d697430363bcc25d3d43274 (resized).jpg
    Amish_horse_and_buggy (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robl45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I'm just curious why there seems to be so much attraction to the new stern Pins after Williams bowed out. I've played one of the newer games and it was kind of blah and I played the older stern games circa 2006 or so and while they were okay, they really weren't anything that could touch the 90's williams games. Then there are the prices. 8000 plus for a new game and 3 different versions? Its insulting honestly. For the price of some of these premium and LE games, you can get the best of the best 90's Williams games. Not to mention the flippers on any of the other games are horrible. Even my Dr. Dude is a huge step down in flipper feel from the 90's games.

#8 7 years ago

I suppose that makes sense. Considering I can't manage to complete any games, this isn't an issue for me.

Quoted from mbaumle:

Since I'm not someone who'd buy NIB, I just play what I can find on location. Given that, I don't think I've ever really had a bad time playing a newer Stern game. In some locations where they'd have a mixture of 90s B/W games and new Sterns, the Sterns almost always play better (just because they're newer).
    But then there are the rules. I can usually progress pretty deeply in the rules of a 90s B/W game on a regular basis these days--especially in arcades where the pf isn't smooth waxed and lightning fast. So if I play a game or two, I usually find myself exploring most of the games features and accumulate a replay or two, then I get bored and hand the replays to the kid behind me. On a Stern game, I almost NEVER get deep enough into the rules to max it out, so I find myself playing them more than I'd play a B/W. I see many people expressing the same thoughts when they have them in their collections: Deeper ruled Sterns hold people's attention much longer than the shallower rules of past.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Because new games are new.
    The last of the BW games came out almost 20 years ago

I agree with this, but that doesn't necessarily make them better. Honestly I'd have thought there would be some revolutionary thing in the 18 years or so since Williams exited. Yet I look at the Stern games and prices and really they are still the same thing. Maybe some led's, computers possibly running them, but if you look at a new one and one from the 90's, many people would think they were made at the same time.

#58 7 years ago

for 5000 I would buy one, but they aren't 5000. More like 8000+ unless you want to buy the stripped down version. I don't know about you, but I don't walk into the car dealer and say give me the car with no options.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Yep. Or ACDC, or Tron, or The Walking Dead, or Ghostbusters, or Game of Thrones. Sterns are not all long-playing. I think someone just needs a bit more exposure.
    Sterns appeal to me on many levels.
    Considering the better 90s pins are commanding $3000-$6000, and considering the cost of parts and restoration, $4995 for a NIB Stern shipped to my door is very appealing.
    I prefer playing over dealing with repairs and breakdowns.
    I prefer calling my distributor, or picking up a lightly used Stern locally, than having to wait and scower and drive great distances in hopes of finding the title I want in good condition for a fair price. The "fair price" part is becoming increasingly difficult.
    I like newer, brighter, faster, better sound quality, and more depth.
    I find many of the new Sterns to be more exciting and more adrenaline pumping than the 90s pins.
    I find Sterns to be highly reliable and generally easy to service.
    I like that Stern is still in business and lifetime free tech support is a phone call away. And the warranty can come in handy.
    New Sterns earn better.
    There's more reasons, but that's enough for now.
    And for what it's worth I do enjoy older pins and have a deep appreciation for them.

#118 7 years ago

I actually think the Whoa Nellie game is pretty cool but I'm not a big fan of EM's. The crate stand is pretty cool though. If they made a version of that with ramps, I would have it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robl45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-fascination-with-the-new-stern-games?tu=Robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.