3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by AJB4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FgwovFw_(resized).png
    jazz-band-15337317_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I've been into playing pinball for about 1 year now and have a 1980 Bally Future Spa at home. I'm looking at my next purchase of a pin with more depth of rules. I've been out playing the modern era machines and see a lot of references to "combo" shots but I've not been able to find a good definition of what a combo shot is. So in the context of a game like a newer Stern Star Trek (a game I've dropped many quarters on), how does a combo work with regards to the "Enterprise Arrows"?

Thanks,

Tim

#2 3 years ago

Quarter pounder, fries, and a beverage.

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Generally, a combo is hitting specific targets/shots without hitting anything else in between. Orbit and ramp shots tend to be common places to get combo shots.

#4 3 years ago

One of these

image_(resized).jpeg

#5 3 years ago

Some Combos do allow you to hit other shots in between. Dr Dude's 1-2-3 Reflex Combo, for example.

You could make an argument that if the game doesn't refer to a sequence of shots as a 'Combo' then it isn't technically a combo. But my opinion is that, practically speaking, a combo is simply an award for completing a sequence of shots according to the conditions set out in the game code.

For example, would you consider a Spiral Award (TZ), Bridge Out (RS), Thing Flips (TAF) to be combos even though they're just two shots and not named a 'combo'? Or are only a Three-Way or Four-Way Combo's 'real' combos because the DMD labels them as such?

#6 3 years ago

I would call a combo any two shots or more hit in sequence that give a reward

#7 3 years ago

Pretty sure it's this...

jazz-band-15337317_(resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

True, but "combo" can also refer to a guitar amplifier with the speaker(s) in the same cabinet (such as a Fender Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb Amp) as opposed to the amplifier and speaker sections in sparate cabinets (like a Fender Dual Showman or Fender Tone Master).

#9 3 years ago

God, I love wise ass answers.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

LTG : )

I always add BLT to my Quarter pounder.

#11 3 years ago

First thing that comes to mind is the combo shot on Whirlwind, since my dad owns one. Left loop (through the pops to the top flipper), to mini inner loop, then ramp shot.

"The 3-Way Combo will score only 250K, as well as the current value of the 3-Toll Ramp." - Taken from the rule sheet in ipdb.org

You have to hit this specific combination of shots without hitting any other targets.

#12 3 years ago

Spine chiller > Insanity Falls > No Way Out > Insanity Falls > Disaster Drop = 5-way combo on White Water.

#13 3 years ago

All bad jokes aside the last two reply's are getting to the heart of my question. Is a combo usually a "specific sequence of shots" OR "hit any of the flashing shots"? It sounds like a sequence in a particular order.

So typically, how do you find out what the combo shots are? Does the DMD usually tell you? Is it hidden tribal knowledge?

For example, what is a combo on a 2013 Star Trek Pro .... any of the flashing arrows in any order?

Thanks for all of the serious answers

#14 3 years ago

In my White Water example above, you have to hit in that order, not hit any switches in-between and not take too long. It starts with an animation and sound effect at 3-way combo, then 4-way combo and 5-way combo.

Most other games that have combo shots display it on the DMD. Here is a copy and paste from Bowen's rulesheet for Simpsons Pinball party:

-- Combos --

Combos exist in the game, from 3-Way to 5-Way. A 3-Way Combo is worth 250,000 points. A 4-Way Combo is worth 500,000 points, for a total of 750,000. A 5-Way Combo is worth 750,000 points, for a total of 1.5 million.

Some examples of Combos are Cletus > Treehouse > TV > Couch (4-Way), and Moe's > Elementary > Treehouse > TV > Couch (5-Way).

#15 3 years ago

Modern sterns like star trek reward combos for any 2+ shots in a row. Lights will flash to show you what shots reward a single combo (the red arrows on ST) and you can technically string as many in a chain as you can hit depending on the game. Modern sterns are pretty generous on the amount of time they give you, even if you brick a shot you can still hurry to make another. The dmd keeps track of it if you watch closely and most modern sterns have a spot for combo champ. Many newer sterns you have to hit combos to score big. GoT gives playfield multipliers, SM builds end of ball bonus and Xmen rewards you for combos with deadpool mode and extra balls.

#16 3 years ago

Or Whirlwind:

Left loop, top loop, ramp.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from konjurer:

For example, what is a combo on a 2013 Star Trek Pro .... any of the flashing arrows in any order?

If you are playing ST and see any of those red inserts with the ships on them flashing, if you hit one, you will get credited with a combo.

Most commonly on newer sterns, the combo shots are signified by a flashing red arrow of some sort. Older games like DM use the flashing red arrows to show you where the combos are too.

The alpha numeric games like WW and FH are more cryptic. You kind of have to know what they are and just go for them.

#18 3 years ago

Let's just get one more bad joke out of the way.

FgwovFw_(resized).png

#19 3 years ago

Tron has specific shot progressions in succession that actually have names and award a specific amount of points. They are given names from the film.

sk8ball - a pinsider from Rancho Santa Fe, CA posted them about 3 yrs ago - here they are listed:

LR= left ramp. RR= right ramp. Q=Quorra. G=Gem. RO= right orbit. LO= left orbit

Last Iso- LR-Q
    Jarvis- Q-RR
    Castor- LR-LO
    Light Cycle- LR-Q-RR
    Light Runner- LR-Q-RR-RO
    Rinzler- LR-Q-RR-RO-RR
    Outlands- LR-Q-G
    Siren- Q-G
    Ree Man Jedi- Q-RR-RO
    End of the Line- RO-G
    Grid- LR-Q-RR-RO-G

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 30.00
    $ 20.00
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 12.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside