(Topic ID: 303011)

What is the deepest, story driven, linier coded LCD pinball machine?

By SantaEatsCheese

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Heist Multimorphic, 2020
#1 2 years ago

I have really been enjoying the LOTR pinball machine I picked up a few months ago. I was curious as to what everyone thought would be contenders for deepest story based linier coded pinball machine. There are 3 that come to my head, 2 of which I really dislike so I was curious what you thought might also fit in there. I would think that the Hobbit, Avengers, and Jurassic Park would all fit in that same realm. I personally didn't care for Hobbit or Avengers, but Jurassic Park gave me that same LOTR feel with a different layout. Any other contenders?

#2 2 years ago

Stranger things. Not deep in breadth, but has a ton of modes you have to beat to reach the end.

#3 2 years ago

Jurassic Park with the custom software

#4 2 years ago

I believe Hobbit and LOTR are easily the best in that category, so you are looking at quite a step down from those. How much time have you spent on AiQ? It’s a pin that takes some time to settle into. Rules are deep and complex. If you haven’t spent a lot of time in AiQ, maybe give it another shot unless you just don’t like the theme.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Stranger things. Not deep in breadth, but has a ton of modes you have to beat to reach the end.

I'll have to check that one out again. I have only ever played the pro. I got strong Attack From Mars vibes from it but never really got into many of the modes.

Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Jurassic Park with the custom software

I had a pro, I'm thinking about selling my IJ in a few months to fund a premium and the movie footage looks awesome. Really I'm trying to talk myself out of a JP in a few months here.

Quoted from Krupps4:

I believe Hobbit and LOTR are easily the best in that category, so you are looking at quite a step down from those. How much time have you spent on AiQ? It’s a pin that takes some time to settle into. Rules are deep and complex. If you haven’t spent a lot of time in AiQ, maybe give it another shot unless you just don’t like the theme.

I did a temporary trade of my TZ for my bosses AIQ LE for 5 months and just couldn't get into the game. I know it is the same designer as JP and the game looks beautiful, but I couldn't get into it. On the Hobbit category, when I was early in the hobby I put all my funds into one, and hated how long of a player it was. I wasn't great, but an hour is pretty much the limit on a game for me. Too many multiballs. Absolutely beautiful game though.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have only ever played the pro.

Code is the same on all models except for very minor differences. This game has over 25 modes that all take your through seasons 1 and 2 of the show, and the mini wizard modes are some of the final scenes from each season with the final wizard mode being the final battle from the second season.

Not a long player usually, so it can take some time to get to the end. Not Valinor hard, but no gimmie.

#7 2 years ago

I think Hobbit is the only other game that is going to give you the immersion that LOTR does. But as others have mentioned, the code on JP is excellent. There are obvious modes you are going for, and then tons of different objectives to chase at the same time. Big difference between LOTR and JP is that JP is fuckin tough...if you take an uncontrolled shot you're gonna have a hell of a time getting it back under control. The game has combo flow, but not the same type of flow that LOTR has.

#10 2 years ago

Do you mean linear?

I don't know about story wise, but I have seen games where the complaint is that the prescribed play is too linear. I had a Capcom Airborne and every game the shots had to proceed in a certain shot order (left ramp, right targets, spinner, left targets, center stand ups, left ramp, etc) so that repeated plays felt like you were just trying to learn one long combo turning it into a grind. It's too bad because the layout was cool, but the order should have been randomized.

As for story telling, I think the average player's relatively short ball times push games to be more successful following an episodic format like a Batman 66 where you can tell everything that needs to be told story-wise in 5-15 seconds, and maybe all together lead to another 15-30 second story (wizard mode). GOTG has a fun bunch of modes that tell little story bits from the movie, especially with the Cleland code using the film assets.

#11 2 years ago

Hobbit

#12 2 years ago

JJP POTC. The greatest and deepest pin no one has played.

#13 2 years ago

Agree with everyone on the Hobbit when it comes to story immersion. The only problem is getting through the story requires actually playing the incredibly boring game.

#14 2 years ago

Hobbit ended up being pretty good with the code updates IMO. I'd put that at the top of the list myself.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Agree with everyone on the Hobbit when it comes to story immersion. The only problem is getting through the story requires actually playing the incredibly boring game.

Quoted from silen7ce:

Hobbit ended up being pretty good with the code updates IMO. I'd put that at the top of the list myself.

That's one thing about the Hobbit. People tend to either love it or hate it. Despite looking amazing, sounding amazing, being the perfect theme with all the assets, and having cool moving mechs I really liked, I just couldn't get into the gameplay. This coming from someone who's probably read the Hobbit 15 times.

I'm not there yet, but am really waivering between dropping my Indy and picking up a Deadpool or Jurassic Park. I know Deadpool is not in the same category as these, but was wondering if there were any alternatives to Jurassic Park other than Avengers for that deeper story based feel. Godzilla is still too young to know.

#16 2 years ago

Hobbit for sure. Sorry to hear you don’t get into it (did you play the last couple of enormous code updates? ). There really isn’t another game even close. Someone mentioned POTC which is amazing, but it isn’t linear, nor is it as immersive as Hobbit. Possibly a better layout, but I actually think Hobbit has more creativity in terms of its modes

1 month later
#18 2 years ago

WOZ is not linear, but it’s deep, challenging and fun.

#19 2 years ago

Jurassic park is linear, but doesn’t have a story

#20 2 years ago

STh is 27 total modes by my count:

Chapter modes 1-6
Chapter modes 7-12
3 Demodog modes
5 Demogorgon modes
TK multiball mode
Total Isolation 1
Total Isolation 2
Send it Back
Light the Fire
Final Showdown
Snow Ball

...there are also 2 Upside Down modes as well

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Meriden, CT
$ 20.00
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-deepest-story-driven-linier-coded-lcd-pinball-machine?hl=msf567 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.