(Topic ID: 260354)

What is the best way to level and check pitch on a game

By marksf123

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Maybe a stupid question from someone who has owned games as long as I have but I have always used my pinball dolly to just lift the game and set it back down again. Now that I have moved it is pretty hard to move the pinball dolly around in my new location so looking for an alternate method.

What do you do to adjust the leg levelers? Also where is the best place to put the level app that I use on my phone? I usually just try to put it as much as dead center on the playfield as possible.

Sorry if this has been discussed before......

#2 4 years ago

I use a craftsman digital torpedo level with the help of a friend. I used to be able to crawl under the game and lift it up with my back while turning the levelers.

#3 4 years ago

I also have used my back for years. Starting to get harder as I get older. I heard about someone putting two nuts on their legs feet and using them with a wrench to adjust them without having to lift the game. This is the route I'm headed as games get moved in my house.

The concept is you put the two nuts against each other which locks them in place. You use the lower nut to tighten raise the foot and the upper one to lower the foot (keeps them locked together).

As far as level. I don't trust those phone apps. I have a digital level from Home Depot that I use. It has a digital readout but also the bubbles to make sure it's still calibrated correctly. Cost something like $30. When leveling I do 4 things.
    First - I level the rear of the PF with the level as far back as possible and still be on the PF itself.
    Second - I level the front of the PF as far forward as I can get the level on the PF itself (between the slings normally)
    Third - I make sure that the changes to the front didn't effect the rear (at can be a dance sometimes)
    Last - I take a ball and roll it from as high as possible to the drain and visually check to make sure it goes straight down.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

I use one of these. Nice and compact so you can check level and slope all over.
    amazon.com link »

I have one very similar to this. Can definitely recommend... with a caveat: Like it or not, your playfield will show signs of bowing - especially if it's an older pin. You'll get one reading at the bottom, then might read 1*+ different at the top.

I gave up and just surrendered to using the bubble, but still use this level to check side-to-side both at top and bottom of the playfield.

Side note: I did a Pepsi Challenge between my level and the PinGuy app on my iPhone XR. They were nearly identical, differing by only 0.1* at the most.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from dug:

I use a craftsman digital torpedo level

I actually have that level but moved to using the PinGuy app. I think I might try them both to see how they compare.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

I use one of these. Nice and compact so you can check level and slope all over.
    amazon.com link »

Me too. Works great

#8 4 years ago

I use the PinGuy app on my phone. I have checked it against a $400 digital level and it is 100% as accurate on my iPhone.

1 month later
    #9 4 years ago

I use an RV jack and a craftsman level. So easy and it works great for removing legs and letting down to the floor on carpet, no so much on smooth flooring.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I43HCOG

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I heard about someone putting two nuts on their legs feet and using them with a wrench to adjust them without having to lift the game. This is the route I'm headed as games get moved in my house.

The concept is you put the two nuts against each other which locks them in place. You use the lower nut to tighten raise the foot and the upper one to lower the foot (keeps them locked together).

That was me. You use 2 nuts and a washer between. The washer helps keep your socket in good position. You need to jam the two nuts together fairly tight to allow you to rotate your socket in a counter-clockwise rotation and not have the jam action come undone. This way you only adjust with the top nut. You can do it the other way but with a good jam, you don't have to do any acrobatics.

Works better with a manual ratchet instead of trying to use your drill or impact driver.

#11 4 years ago

Hold your level on the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is level the game is set up as intended.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

Hold your level on the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is level the game is set up as intended.

How does that work if the bottom in your cabinet is sagging?

#13 4 years ago

I also use the pinguy app on a apple phone, it is a bit different with a android, but works the same. The speach is good on the app.
    This way you hear how to adjust and do not have to go up and down allways to adjust the legs.

Another thing:
    I use coinmechs and when i try to level it to 6.5° angle, the coin goes into the reject slot.
    I have adjusted the playfield to 5.5° and it plays also still fine, but the coinmechs are not allways taking the coins correctly (at least somewhat better then at 6.5°).
    I know, it is because they "lean" against the coindoor, but does someone has a solution to maybe straighten them up a bit somehow.

#15 4 years ago

Pinguy is much better i.m.h.o.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Roverius:

Pinguy is much better i.m.h.o.

Please share the link

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Escapism:

Please share the link

Its a app for Android. It is also availlable for iPhone
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nottud.pinballleveller

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-way-to-level-and-check-pitch-on-a-game?hl=walleyefisher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.