(Topic ID: 220339)

What is the best way to grow pinball?

By pin2d

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6593 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6594 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6598 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6595 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6596 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6597 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6600 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6599 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6601 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6602 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6610 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6603 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6607 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6608 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6611 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6609 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 5 years ago

I'm having a bunch of non-pinball people over tonight and set the outlanes to their smallest position. Might get some anecdotal evidence about whether an easier game makes people more interested.

4 weeks later
    #163 5 years ago

This post is long, but touches on the points others have made in this thread about people being drawn to EMs.

I brought my friend into ReplayFX on Saturday, he's in his low 30s, he's done a fair bit of console gaming and is a very talented PC gamer (considered top 5 Dark Age of Camelot player all time, very high rank in Starcraft 2). His first three games of pinball ever were on Wednesday at a bar near his apartment, and then his first exposure to games other than Tron were at ReplayFX on Saturday.

His review was essentially that DMDs are too complicated for a novice. There's too many things to shoot for, which needs to be done too accurately, and the points you receive are not understandable. Even with house balls he was enjoying EMs and early SSs because he understood the goal of the games and how to accomplish it: get points. He didn't need control and didn't need imamaculate aim because the rewards from every flip are clear and the switches are right out in the open, making clear targets, instead of hidden within 7 tight shots at top of the playfield. I think that's an important point to reiterate: the switches are the targets and they look like targets. When I was playing Tron with him and saying "hitting the motorcycle shots will get you a multiball" it wasn't obvious to him that the light cycle inserts correspond with the ramp or lane behind them, because there was no physical target to be seen, only the negative space of that shot.

Since then, I think Team Pinball and their The Mafia game might be on the right track with their back-to-basics design. Sure, the price isn't right, but the simplicity of an EM with a ball saver to help reduce house balls and a clear path to points seems like the right formula to attract new players, instead of foisting them onto the complex scoring of a game like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Any operators want to chime in on how PBR does versus DMD/LCDs?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-way-to-grow-pinball?tu=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.