Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE925699-E6CF-4D7E-99CB-82DB569E9A97 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I acquired at long last an El Dorado. It’s dirty with moderate planking and ball swirls. Some paint has lifted in a few areas but not terrible. What is the best method to clean it? I have a Genie as well and used a magic eraser and isopropyl with mixed results. I have heard people using lighter fluid, naphtha, a magic eraser with simple green, CP-100, etc. What is the best way to clean the playfield without causing a lot of damage? Any advice is appreciated!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Put on a trailer and drive fast thru the car wash, I do it all the time.

#4 6 years ago

I would use Novus 2 first and then follow that up with naptha and a good waxing.

#5 6 years ago

This is a good guide. Used it to clean my 72’ playball and black hole

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#6 6 years ago

Start searching for a Wade Krause pf

#7 6 years ago

Me myself, I stay away from anything water base 100% of the time..
Years back, I guess around the time Magic Eraser came out, an old time
collector told me Magic Eraser and mechanic's hand cleaner (creamy, like
GoJo) and never had a reason to experiment with anything else. Pleased
with the results, and after waxing, pleased with the machines performance..

#8 6 years ago

Mopar is right. Old games stay away from water. Naphtha is good to clean as it is alcohol based. I just didn’t use too much elbow grease as it could start to take paint up. But my playball cleaned up Nice!

#9 6 years ago

Well, at least the comedians are out. Anyway, I read vid’s guides and went conservative. Wiped it down with naphtha. I tried a magic eraser on a couple of spots and novus 2 on others. Neither seemed to be doing very much so I decided to leave well enough alone - something I have an extremely hard time doing. Put two coats of p21s wax in it and here’s the result.

FE925699-E6CF-4D7E-99CB-82DB569E9A97 (resized).jpegFE925699-E6CF-4D7E-99CB-82DB569E9A97 (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago

It looks a little better in person. Thanks to everyone with suggestions. Truly appreciate it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-way-to-clean-a-1975-el-dorado-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.