(Topic ID: 85908)

What is the best wax and cleaner for High Speed playfield?

By highspeed

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by beepnutz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zizzlemeplease.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago

I sure dont know about "best" but have gotten really nice results with a good cleaning, then a couple coats of silicone based car wax buffed clean, followed with 2 coats of armorall's tire gel also wiped in and excess cleaned. the wax starts the making of a slick surface, and the armorall gel after makes it even slicker than that.
it might be a rookie maneuver, easy grab from the garage or autozone, or maybe its really good! (?)
the tire gel after trying to wipe it away near completely still leaves a very thin oily slippery on surfaces that reduces friction a LOT. did the whole job a couple months ago, gave it a fresh re-wipe of the gel stuff just last week.

#8 10 years ago

not really personal here, but a pf, and mylar'd pf really isnt anything to do with fine furniture at all.
when was the last time you saw a nice wood coffeetable getting a 1-1/6" chrome steel ball bounced across it for hours, days, months, and years? I'm not saying carnuba is bad but theres reasons why about modern car waxes:
its fast, thin, slick, puts up with abuse of outdoor environment to protect paint, says a lot of good things to me.
this is about a machine, machines perform actions, actions produce wear etc.

the armorall tire gel, I kinda look at it this way: there arent many car engines that youd adjust valve rockers with zero clearance, they need a film of oil to cushion and lubricate metal to metal contact and impact. the very thin film left behind by the tire gel behaving similarly. same as wax getting into the pores of the paint and putting a film layer over the surface, the gel stuff seems to do the same thing with the wax on an even smaller scale so the surface gets even slipperier. the wax protecting the pf, the gel stuff protecting and lubricating the wax, I'd consider a win-win. "glass wax" is relatively new and also a synthetic, its pretty impressive stuff too really.

same reason I wax the ball itself, brand new shiny polished chrome has micro-pores that the wax will help fill.
seriously, give it a try Bob. a very small amount (dime size spot, if the pf is really smooth it'll be plenty) of armorall's tire gel on a cloth and spread it in over the whole main pf area, followed by a clean soft cloth to buff and pick up any-all excess.. only way to know is to play it. 2-3 coats of wax was good, the gel on top of that made things even faster for having less friction, it might really surprise you, it sure surprised me, wouldnt tell it if I didnt see to believe it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zizzlemeplease.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-wax-and-cleaner-for-high-speed-playfield?tu=zizzlemeplease and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.