(Topic ID: 85908)

What is the best wax and cleaner for High Speed playfield?

By highspeed

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by beepnutz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Working on my High Speed with original playfield with mylar. I just want to do a light cleaning and maybe waxing. I don't want to dis-assemble or be perfect. Looking for feedback on the best cleaner and wax.

Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Simple green for surface dirt, novus 2 for ground in stuff, and a good carnauba wax. Do a Google search. There are plenty of topics about what's best vs what to avoid.

#3 5 years ago

I sure dont know about "best" but have gotten really nice results with a good cleaning, then a couple coats of silicone based car wax buffed clean, followed with 2 coats of armorall's tire gel also wiped in and excess cleaned. the wax starts the making of a slick surface, and the armorall gel after makes it even slicker than that.
it might be a rookie maneuver, easy grab from the garage or autozone, or maybe its really good! (?)
the tire gel after trying to wipe it away near completely still leaves a very thin oily slippery on surfaces that reduces friction a LOT. did the whole job a couple months ago, gave it a fresh re-wipe of the gel stuff just last week.

#4 5 years ago

novus 2 to clean, carnuba wax after. I would NOT use armorall or silicone.
furniture maker for 40 years, Bob

#5 5 years ago

Did mine recently. Clean with windex type cleaner, then Novus 2, then a Carnuaba wax and lots of hand polishing with microfiber cloth. Came out well.

Chaos

#6 5 years ago

I have used Treasure Cove polishing kit on a mylar Funhouse playfield and the results were pretty good. Blitz is another product to use and is available at Pinballife or Amazon.

#8 5 years ago

not really personal here, but a pf, and mylar'd pf really isnt anything to do with fine furniture at all.
when was the last time you saw a nice wood coffeetable getting a 1-1/6" chrome steel ball bounced across it for hours, days, months, and years? I'm not saying carnuba is bad but theres reasons why about modern car waxes:
its fast, thin, slick, puts up with abuse of outdoor environment to protect paint, says a lot of good things to me.
this is about a machine, machines perform actions, actions produce wear etc.

the armorall tire gel, I kinda look at it this way: there arent many car engines that youd adjust valve rockers with zero clearance, they need a film of oil to cushion and lubricate metal to metal contact and impact. the very thin film left behind by the tire gel behaving similarly. same as wax getting into the pores of the paint and putting a film layer over the surface, the gel stuff seems to do the same thing with the wax on an even smaller scale so the surface gets even slipperier. the wax protecting the pf, the gel stuff protecting and lubricating the wax, I'd consider a win-win. "glass wax" is relatively new and also a synthetic, its pretty impressive stuff too really.

same reason I wax the ball itself, brand new shiny polished chrome has micro-pores that the wax will help fill.
seriously, give it a try Bob. a very small amount (dime size spot, if the pf is really smooth it'll be plenty) of armorall's tire gel on a cloth and spread it in over the whole main pf area, followed by a clean soft cloth to buff and pick up any-all excess.. only way to know is to play it. 2-3 coats of wax was good, the gel on top of that made things even faster for having less friction, it might really surprise you, it sure surprised me, wouldnt tell it if I didnt see to believe it.

#9 5 years ago

I only caution people because different chemicals can get under the clear coat and cause problems, I've seen it happen. Discoloration, clear lifting. By using silicone, the playfield can never be cleared down the road. The stuff is impossible to get rid of. All the seminars that I have been to, warn about the use of different chemicals, cleaning agents on all the new finishes. I'm not sure what's in armorall tire gel, so I won't use it.
I just use what's tried and true, been at it for about 20 years in this hobby, and haven't had any problems.
Just my opinion, Bob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sylvania, OH
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside