(Topic ID: 283521)

What is the best stand-up home arcade machine?

By Oneangrymo

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Darscot
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Im looking for a stand up 2 or 4 player stand up machine that has all the games like in the arcade + coin operated, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

#2 3 years ago

I don’t think there is such a thing that doesn’t mostly suck, but I could be wrong.

#3 3 years ago

Depending on how much of a purist you are, Arcade Legends 3 is a good choice. They are pricey. You could very easy build your own multicade for much less, but with Arcade Legends, all the games are fully licensed and look relatively good.

https://www.thepinballcompany.com/product/arcade-legends-3-with-over-100-games/

#4 3 years ago

What nicoy3k stated, most multicades out there suck, you're probably better off building your own like JakeJones7 mentioned.

You won't be able to find an upright video arcade game that can 'play all the games'. There are different monitor orientations (Horiz/Vertical) and unique control schemes that prevent that. Some multicade software 'can' force specific non-native monitor orientations, with questionable results... for example, playing 'Horizontal' Super Mario Bros (SMB) on a 'Vertical' Galaga monitor. The SMB sprite art would be squished in order to fit and play-ablity would leave much to be desired. It might look okay with certain other games.

Probably your best bet is going with an Arpicade PCB (not that cheap) + JAMMA Harness. You can pick a common control scheme load it up with a bunch of games that works with that control scheme. It uses a Micro SD card and you can pick out the games you want.

A much-much cheaper plug-n-play alternative is the 60n1 icade JAMMA pcb. (It's more like 55in1 game though)... but the emulation is crap. You can not add more games to it, but it lets you disable games you don't like. For some people the quality and quantity of games is good enough though. There is probably other plug-n-play pcbs out there that put the 60n1 to shame, but I don't really keep up with the emulation stuff... :shrug:

I suggest getting a cabinet with a vertical orientated monitor over a horizontal one. Generally speaking, there are more classics that play on a vertical orientation. Control wise, a 2-player setup with a (4-way joystick) + (2 Buttons) per a player. So 6 buttons total if you include the start buttons. I'd avoid Trackballs/Optical Wheel Controls, Analog Pot Controls, Flight Yokes, Light Guns, etc as they are expensive, hard to find, and it's frankly better to just get dedicated cabinets for those unique controls.

A lot of it comes down to what game YOU want to play & the quality of emulated gameplay you want...
    You can find more info about building your own cabinet on the BYOAC (Build your own arcade controls) forum. Probably KLOV aswell in the emulation subforum. See if building is a path you want to go down. I know you're looking for a whole cabinet... so just a PCB doesn't quite get you all the way there. Maybe checking craigslist to see what 60n1 cabinet builds users are listing. Most of it will probably be scammy junk, but you never know.

https://arpicade.com/documentation/ <- You can check out the list of games and how the Arpicade Hardware works off their website.

#5 3 years ago

You have not asked the right question for us to provide an adequate answer. Please try again.

#6 3 years ago

You need something like this!

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I'm not a MAME fane really, but that's pretty damn slick!

Chris

#8 3 years ago

Not coin operated but I have one of these https://www.n2fun.com/ .

Has about 40,000 games on it and most work just fine. Everything from 1977 up to about PS2. Not coin operated though.

You could build your own for much, much, less.

Look into http://www.xtensiongaming.com/ for cabinets and custom DIY options.

I would strongly recommend looking into Faceook and Craigslist for localish converters.

Honestly, I wouldn't invest in a big system without test driving something smaller first.

I comissioned an Arcade 1up multicade off of facebook and paid about $800 for one. It was fantastic and I would have kept it if a full sized system had not fallen into my lap. Here are pictures/video. This was built off of a pi.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/90621

What is really boils down to is do you want a pi based or PC based setup. Pi is simpler and is much cheaper.

Good luck!

#9 3 years ago

4 player NBA Jam gets my vote.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I built mine so it rotates but that he went through all the trouble and used a 16x9 monitor just hurts my brain. Just seems so pointless.

The only way to have a decent cabinet is to build your own or at least modify one. My biggest issue with the ones people sell, they either have 15 games or they have 5000 and 95% are just obscure garbage. Wow they are up to 40000 useless games now, its just makes for a shitty experience.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-stand-up-home-arcade-machine?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.