You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-2.jpg
image-892.jpg
image-540.jpg
IMAG0323.jpg
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

It also spots a coffin ramp and a video loop, making the rewards for the skill shot more than just a few million points. I like free stuff

Oh! That will teach my impatience Next time I play the game I will be taking the easy skill shot.

#52 9 years ago

Baywatch's skill shot options are very good in the non-plunger category.

#53 9 years ago

I just realized the thread is called:

1) What is the best skill shot? (where the "WHY" is very interesting, if you are building a case for why you think you know what the best skill shot IS in pinball...)

and the answers are for the most part responding to:

2) What skill shot do you like? (which is purely subjective) -- I really like the Taxi skill shot, but it's not the best in pinball, since there's no risk involved.

It would be cool if those that have posted "what they like" could actually answer the topic, and supply reasons why they think they know what the "best skill shot in pinball" is...

("I like chocolate." -- and that's not very interesting.)

-mof

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I cannot reproduce the skill shot with consistency

Taf Wh20

#55 9 years ago

The Pinball Magic one looks like a lot of fun. I've never seen one so I haven't had the opportunity to try. Same with PotC, that skill shot looks great too.

Of the games I've played I like Congo's the most. Super Skill by plunging into the kickback. And if the game is dialled in right, the kickback will fire the ball into the mystery hole and you get a Super Skill Combo

The requisite System 11 skill shot is plunge strength = score, where the risk/reward is the second to last 'slot' is the best, and if you shoot to far you get a low score. The fact that so many games of that era use it kind of makes it lame. Same with Stern's 'hold the left flipper and shoot a ramp' skill shot. But I guess it's better that they're not wasting a huge amount of space/expense on parts that are only there for skill shots.

#56 9 years ago

Lawlor is my favorite skill shot artist: WW, FH, TAF, RBION, etc.

Honorable mentions: Taxi, Pinbot, Tron

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I just realized the thread is called:
1) What is the best skill shot? (where the "WHY" is very interesting, if you are building a case for why you think you know what the best skill shot IS in pinball...)
and the answers are for the most part responding to:
2) What skill shot do you like? (which is purely subjective) -- I really like the Taxi skill shot, but it's not the best in pinball, since there's no risk involved.
It would be cool if those that have posted "what they like" could actually answer the topic, and supply reasons why they think they know what the "best skill shot in pinball" is...
("I like chocolate." -- and that's not very interesting.)
-mof

Just because there is no risk does not make it a bad skill shot. I just plain enjoy the ones that are hard to make, regardless of risk!

#58 9 years ago

I just get excited at any skill shot that doesn't allow me to move the "skill shot" in front of the ball. Where did that come from? Takes all the skill out of it.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Goonie:

I just get excited at any skill shot that doesn't allow me to move the "skill shot" in front of the ball. Where did that come from? Takes all the skill out of it.

You're right! The CFTBL skill shot is tough. Imagine if you could simply lane change it.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Just because there is no risk does not make it a bad skill shot. I just plain enjoy the ones that are hard to make, regardless of risk!

Excellent, so do you think BIG GUNS has the HARDEST skill shot to make in all of pinball ?
Why?

I am just hoping a few more people will put a little "why" into their responses so those of us who haven't played every title out there just yet, can remember to look for certain things next time we go out to play. I like to learn from Pinsiders.

-mof

#61 9 years ago

^^ I'll explain a bit more about why Congo is my favourite so far.

It is a manual plunger and the standard skill shot is hitting the chasing lit target on the target bank. This is a T2-style skill shot but with the manual plunger there is more skill involved. You get 10M for hitting any target + 5 for hitting the lit target.

Better than this standard skill shot is the Super Skill Shot which requires plunging into the left outlane to engage the kickback. There's something cool about plunging down the outlane that I really like! This scores 25M.

What is even cooler is that the kickback can sometimes fire the ball into the mystery collect hole for another 5M.

#62 9 years ago

Congo is a good one for sure.

Lawlor's skill shots can be cool, but some aren't worth it. Million plus for RBION is an awesome shot, but doesn't add up to enough to make it worth it in a home setting. Whirwind...I never even try it.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

FGY super skill shot is tough as nails. You need both plunger skills and flipper skills. Can't hit a FART target. Can't hit the death target. And you gotta use the upper flipper to get it in the monkey hole. Love it when I pull it off, but that darned death target gets in the way so much!

I agree with SKB. FG is my favorite.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Excellent, so do you think Big Guns has the HARDEST skill shot to make in all of pinball ?
Why?
I am just hoping a few more people will put a little "why" into their responses so those of us who haven't played every title out there just yet, can remember to look for certain things next time we go out to play. I like to learn from Pinsiders.
-mof

Because it is insanely difficult to hit. You have to pull back JUST the right amount, or it goes to far. The ball basically has to arc into the skill shot, which has always been hard to do.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

1972 Bally Fireball. Up the ramp and down the ramp for 3,000 points.
If you play a crappy game and don't hit any skillshots, it's easy to come in under 3,000 for the entire game.

Yes yes yes! That is a great one and very important to your score. (Well my scores anyway)

AS I've seen some talk of hardest ones Fireball is a tuffy. WOF is also very tough. Seems like the window to make it is extremely small.

#66 9 years ago

Why, for me I gave the example of PotC

I owned PotC for 7 years, didn't even know there was a skill shot (it's not in the pinball news review) so just by chance someone on pinside said that was a cool skill shot on PotC and I had to ask what it was. So from then on, I've been trying to hit it. Hard little shot, very flat angle.

#67 9 years ago

Medusa has a fantastic skill shot as well.

Worst skill shot has to be TZ. Make the skill shot, lose the ball out of the pops.

#68 9 years ago

TOTAN is probably my favorite, even though I think the game itself is overrated.

TAF is a good one

TZ, too.

BSD because it interacts with the DMD

POTC - when I owned one, that Super Skill shot was like cursed Aztec gold.

Tron - plunging right over the Gem switch. Perhaps the most satisfying skill shot.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Medusa has a fantastic skill shot as well.
Worst skill shot has to be TZ. Make the skill shot, lose the ball out of the pops.

I agree. It's a bit of a blight on that game. Everyone always plunges hard and ignores the skill shot. It might as well not have one.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Of the games I've played I like Congo's the most. Super Skill by plunging into the kickback. And if the game is dialled in right, the kickback will fire the ball into the mystery hole and you get a Super Skill Combo

That sounds awesome!

#71 9 years ago

Twister has a different skill shot.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

Lawlor is my favorite skill shot artist: WW, FH, TAF, RBION, etc.

Funny you say that, I've been thinking this week that Banzai Run is the most frustrating skill shot, but WW soft shot and try to sweep the targets for 600k is my favorite

3 weeks later
#73 9 years ago

Wow: there are a lot of good ones!

I like Four Million bc a a lot. A bit better than Fireball even. They're very similar, but I think 4mbc's has an even nicer feel to it. Some really good plunging is needed for both, and the payoff is great. (Ding Ding Ding!)

Whirlwind is a big winner with the possibility to sweep the targets.

Arena's is nice. It's well integrated into gameplay as well. But it's more luck than skill. And the reward (1m) unbalances the score.

#74 9 years ago

Pinball Magic, soft plunge goes upside down and drops into the hat.

#75 9 years ago

Fireball. Detroit Pinball League finals have come down to that skill shot in the past.

My current favorite is the Super Skill shot on WOZ. Its a tight straight shot, requiring you to hit the ball on what seems to be an unnatural spot on the flipper...or, I'm just doing it wrong.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from horseypin:

Have to disagree here While bsd is my favourite, the skill shot doesn't require skill at all and half the time you don't even bother with it because the score is so low.

Well, then, what's a better plungerless one?

It accumulates, and it also advances towards video mode if I'm not mistaken.

#77 9 years ago

My favorites are ST LE and Barbwire with Big Fatso gate.

#78 9 years ago

Congo wins. If it is dialed in there is nothing better than shootin it out the left.
TSPP, and super skill on Who dunnit are up there for me.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

My current favorite is the Super Skill shot on WOZ. Its a tight straight shot, requiring you to hit the ball on what seems to be an unnatural spot on the flipper...or, I'm just doing it wrong.

Which one? The pink target in the haunted forest (for 7500 points to start), or the crystal ball target (for 10000 points)?

I've never made either one on purpose, I always get them when I really screw up and miss the witch badly.

Both are very tough and very risky, hence more points than the rollover lanes or the witch.

1 month later
#80 9 years ago

I've actually heard the the skill shot in Mr and Mrs Pacman is an awesome skill shot that's tough to hit.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

I like TZ. Shame it's usually ignored so to avoid the bumpers.

That makes it a lousy skill shot, as every skilled player does a hard plunge to avoid it. (Yet another reason why I dislike TZ.) And it's pretty short and easy.

I'll concur with Pinball Magic. The vertical spiral where you need just enough momentum to drop the ball at the right point is cool.

#82 9 years ago

I'd like to nominate IM for the WORST skill shot on factory settings.

#84 9 years ago

Of the games I own now my favorite are fast cast on FT and go for the pole on I500

#85 9 years ago

Thanks for the write-in candidates, and the thumbs ups. Another group of 9 has been created here.
Group B
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/poll-best-skill-shot-ever2
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-skill-shot/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.