Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have wound up with Met pro, ACDC prem and IMVE in my collection. I find myself missing a mode based pin. Playing a Sopranos in a bar is what got me into pinball a few years back. So I have always wanted to own one. Williams IJ and SM are also at the top of my list. Just wondering what you guys think of as great mode based pins??

#2 7 years ago

I'm really enjoying the hobbit

#3 7 years ago

I like Sopranos a lot too... so you may also enjoy one of my other favorites, LOTR... both Gomez...

Same story, Sopranos got me back too, Gameworks next to my work gave free play cards with their lunch special, and it was one of the few pins...

#4 7 years ago

Has to be The Hobbit.

So freaking good.

#5 7 years ago

JP has a lot of modes. And if you can start each one you get a 6 ball multiball mode. Easier said than done though. Plus it's on the cheaper side compared to a LOTR or TWD for example.

#6 7 years ago

Hobbit hands down

#7 7 years ago

Definitely not the best, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring for Lights Camera Action. I believe it's the first mode based game, and I like how 2 of the modes are timed. Each mode corresponds to a movie "scene" and complete all modes/scenes to complete the "movie." Once you complete the movie, the main kickout hole is lit for the "select-a-feature" where the player can pick his or her reward. Interesting rewards include revealing the match number before the game ends, and "catch up" (where, if playing a multiplayer game, the player can instantly match the score of the current highest scoring player).

I feel like that was pretty high end rules for 1989.

#8 7 years ago

I've gotten pretty picky in this department and have gone back to mostly scoring based games.

However Ripleys has good modes, and is very fun to play.

#9 7 years ago

I'm going to add another vote for Hobbit. Keith went nuts with it. Modes, modes, and then some modes.

After that, another vote for LOTR. I've always loved the modes in that game.

#10 7 years ago

TSPP is one that comes off the top of my head.

#11 7 years ago

Hobbit...30+ modes, and all unique!

#12 7 years ago

Do any of these games have many modes that aren't just 'shoot this sequence of shots' or 'shoot this shot repeatedly'? I looked at the WIP rulesheet for Hobbit and it had a lot of modes but it seemed like it was all just 'follow this path'...

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've gotten pretty picky in this department and have gone back to mostly scoring based games.
However Ripleys has good modes, and is very fun to play.

I own Ripleys and like the game, but it's modes are not very diverse. A lot of them seem pretty similar to me for some reason (specifically the 2 ball ones).

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I own Ripleys and like the game, but it's modes are not very diverse. A lot of them seem pretty similar to me for some reason (specifically the 2 ball ones).

True. But they are fun and not all easy to complete.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do any of these games have many modes that aren't just 'shoot this sequence of shots' or 'shoot this shot repeatedly'? I looked at the WIP rulesheet for Hobbit and it had a lot of modes but it seemed like it was all just 'follow this path'...

So you're asking which mode based games don't have modes?

#16 7 years ago

Some modes in hobbit you need to shoot a specific shot just to clear the path of the shot you need to make.

Another mode you need to hit the target behind the moving drop targets.

The one I think is really cool is when the bright white light is on Gandolf and the play field lights bright white on you its a great effect.

So many cool modes

#17 7 years ago

SM is great

#18 7 years ago

Twilight zone is mode city.

#19 7 years ago

A few of my favorites are
TZ
STTNG
Xmen

#20 7 years ago

Work your way down the list - LOTR, TZ, TAF, IJ . . .

#21 7 years ago

I think Tron is a great example of a mode based game that doesn't get stale feeling. Each mode is extremely different and you can stack them and do them in most any order.

#22 7 years ago

I had LOTR and do miss it sometimes. It's nice to settle into a long adventure game like that. But it didn't get as much play as other pins because after awhile I just didn't feel like doing what it takes to have a good game. Unfortunately hobbit is probably out of my price range. I'm looking for something that could be traded close to even for IMVE.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think Tron is a great example of a mode based game that doesn't get stale feeling. Each mode is extremely different and you can stack them and do them in most any order.

Tron doesn't feel like a mode game to me (even though it is I suppose). A lot of the items in the ladder are not modes.

#24 7 years ago

Personally, I feel Wiliams IJ has a really good variety of modes. They each feel different from one another and also has 3 fun video modes.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So you're asking which mode based games don't have modes?

When people say modes I picture different simple rulesets, maybe on the level of some simple EMs, not 'shoot the orbits for the next 30 seconds'. At least, have multiple shots to shoot that do different things so you have to make some decisions beyond 'should I play the mode or ignore it'.

#26 7 years ago

JD lots of modes and you can pick the ones you want to play. And according to Pinside members
it is a $1400 game.

#27 7 years ago

I just picked up a last action hero and it has a lot of fun modes and a couple awesome 6 ball multiballs.

#28 7 years ago

TF is all about modes and ST is pretty cool with a ton of modes but they both are sort of generic from one mode to the next. LOTR seemed to strike a good balance between modes and objectives. XM seems like the modes are well balanced with objectives also. I think modes are best when they flow as part of game progression and also are mixed in with other objectives that are separate but can be fun to stack... IM is a blast when u get whiplash and War machine running with bogey scoring - that can be quite a rush...

#29 7 years ago

Judge dredd has a ton of great modes to get you to the final mode. Very hard to get to but worth it when you do.

#30 7 years ago

1. Hobbit
2. LOTR
3. GoT

#31 7 years ago

Mustang (Premium/LE)

Most fun anyway.

#32 7 years ago

I felt the same way after selling my JP. I ended up buying another. I'm sure it's not the "best", but I like playing through the modes. As a bonus they are also now more balanced thanks to Chad's new code.

#33 7 years ago

RS has some good modes. All seem pretty fun to me....

#34 7 years ago

Ripleys
IJ
LOTR
JD
Hobbit
All great choices just depends how much you want to spend.

#35 7 years ago

Definitely LOTR. Not only is gameplay almost exclusively mode based, but you actually have to finish modes rather than just start them. IJ and TZ are the next best, but progress in both of those games only involves starting the modes, which you can then ignore.

#36 7 years ago

LOTR beats the pants off Hobbit.

2 years later
#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

LOTR beats the pants off Hobbit.

Resurrecting this thread after doing a search for best mode based game. IMO, LOTR does not have better modes than Hobbit. Especially after 3.0 code release.

Hobbit modes are all so different and rewarding. Some are extremely difficult that make you want to stack a multiball to play, while some are easy and can be done early on to get the arkenstone.

They all have amazing music and theatrics behind them that really put you in the mode. If you're playing this on location where you can't hear the music and callouts then you're really getting a limited perspective of the modes, and the game in general. I've never felt pulled into a game like The Hobbit.

The variety is awesome. They do a great job of pulling in every shot in the game to make some creative, multi-staged modes. They're also non-linear and selectable so you can prevent them from getting stagnant.

The mini wizard modes consists of some of the most fun moments I've had in pinball.

You can probably tell, my favorite mode based game is The Hobbit.

#38 5 years ago

Houdini has a bunch of different modes that force you to shoot around the playfield. I've had many of the great mode based machines & Houdini is absolutely top notch. There are 10 stage modes, 5 film modes & if you include the 5 jail escapes (hurry-ups) & secret missions (combos), there's diversity w/ plenty to accomplish. This also includes a mini-wizard for each completion & two separate multiball "modes" (trunk & séance). Challenging, tons to do & never gets stale! Houdini for the win!

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Houdini has a bunch of different modes that force you to shoot around the playfield. I've had many of the great mode based machines & Houdini is absolutely top notch. There are 10 stage modes, 5 film modes & if you include the 5 jail escapes (hurry-ups) & secret missions (combos), there's diversity w/ plenty to accomplish. This also includes a mini-wizard for each completion & two separate multiball "modes" (trunk & séance). Challenging, tons to do & never gets stale! Houdini for the win!

I’ve been looking at Houdini for a while. I might get one soon.

#40 5 years ago

Agree on both Houdini and Hobbit. Hobbit has blown its old version out of the water, and taken LOTR with it in, in my opinion. Extremely fun game now, and varied, despite the steps being roughly
The same to advance. One of the things I like about it is that you know what you have to do, but there are SO many modes, and they use all the mechs in such creative ways that you can just play modes all day long and not repeat yourself.

Houdini would be best described as a "wide" game, IMO. What I mean by that is that there are SO many modes you can start up I think 5 different ladders and progress in different directions, but the mini wizard modes are based on completing a single ladder, and the overall master magician is based on scoring across all the modes. I wish there was at least 1 intermediate wizard mode (like Chaos in quantum city from DI) because the game is just SO hard. But even the modes on Houdini are varied in interesting ways. I am not sure there is another game like it. Pinball is surely in its creative apex right now

#41 5 years ago

I’m liking Batman 66 for the combination of modes and multiple strategies based on skill set. I also think Dialed In is a great pure old school mode based game and Iron Maiden is great for having modes but can also be played for score.

#42 5 years ago

Still gotta go with the all-time classic STTNG. Make it so!

#43 5 years ago

Still Mustang.

Great variety, fun, and use of playfield.

#44 5 years ago

Related question: What game best integrates playfield features, audio, and theme with modes? I find a lot of modern titles have modes that amount to "shoot these randomly lit arrows" etc (Ghostbusters and Kiss being two examples) and/or rely heavily on the DMD to bring home the concept of the mode, which to make ruins the immersive nature of mode play.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Related question: What game best integrates playfield features, audio, and theme with modes? I find a lot of modern titles have modes that amount to "shoot these randomly lit arrows" etc (Ghostbusters and Kiss being two examples) and/or rely heavily on the DMD to bring home the concept of the mode, which to make ruins the immersive nature of mode play.

TSPP & LOTR

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Still gotta go with the all-time classic STTNG. Make it so!

Hmmmm.....that's fair.

9 months later
#47 4 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

All modes take some imagination, but I get what your talking about. A good example of a multiball that really draws you into the story would be Fellowship of the Ring on Lord of the Rings. Hit the Balrog then a ramp to have a member of your fellowship escape across the bridge.

Other examples:

Asteroid Threat (Star Trek The Next Generation) - The call outs at the beginning do a great job of setting up the mode. I know exactly where to shoot and there is an immediate sense of urgency. After that it's shooting all shots, but because of the "evasive maneuvers" quote I get that the ship needs to dodge around so in my head shooting shots all over the playfield makes sense.

Feed T-Rex (Jurassic Park) - Pretty obvious mode, but the used of the shaker and animation bring it all together.

#48 4 years ago

Last action here might be my choice. Not the best mode-based game..but the game with most diverse modes.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

Last action here might be my choice. Not the best mode-based game..but the game with most diverse modes.

And still reasonably priced. My only DE pin, but a lot of bang for the buck. Not a big fan of DE artwork tho.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
12,400 (OBO)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-mode-based-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.