(Topic ID: 277911)

What is the best Jersey Jack Pinball Machine?

By ilovegames

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the best Jersey Jack Pinball Machine? ”

• Wizard of OZ 81 votes
      18%
    • Hobbit 56 votes
      13%
    • Dialed In 122 votes
      27%
    • Pirates Of The Caribbean 149 votes
      33%
    • Willy Wonka 39 votes
      9%

(447 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4470 (resized).JPG
    99161703-5C66-4998-BFCC-3ACC2B27865A (resized).jpeg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 3 years ago
    #102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I wonder how much of the love for Pirates is fueled by the difficulty to obtain it. ...

And conversely, how much of the dislike?

Perhaps due to being unable to play it much. Or maybe just an underlying aggravation with its current market cost.

Or not. A double sided sword though.

#103 3 years ago

WOZ for me.
    I do think that not all WOZ machines play the same.
    JJP kept improving WOZ while they were building them and later machines in general feel and play better than earlier machines.

I don't want to derail this thread but while we have all the JJP owners in one place (I have the first 3) I just have a quick question.

With GnR coming out soon, do we order on announcement?
    Should we worry about playfield issues?
    Has JJP ever admitted that there was an issue?
    Did they ever announce a fix?

I want to be a buyer but don't want to play russian roulette with that amount of $ because of potential playfield issues.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

WOZ for me.
    I do think that not all WOZ machines play the same.
    JJP kept improving WOZ while they were building them and later machines in general feel and play better than earlier machines.
    I don't want to derail this thread but while we have all the JJP owners in one place (I have the first 3) I just have a quick question.
    With GnR coming out soon, do we order on announcement?
    Should we worry about playfield issues?
    Has JJP ever admitted that there was an issue?
    Did they ever announce a fix?
    I want to be a buyer but don't want to play russian roulette with that amount of $ because of potential playfield issues.

It's a bit of a risk. New factory and a new machine.
    That said, if it's as good as roumored and they release the CE from The get go, things will probably go very fast.

#105 3 years ago

I voted woz, but my hobbit is way more fun and exciting. Woz is the most beautiful, packed, and deep code with full assets ever. I just don’t play it as much as hobbit however. Hobbit really is a great game and a change of pace from everything else. I could easily see potc being the best if it had the assets, and a more easily understandable code. So, hobbit most fun, woz best as far as total package.

#106 3 years ago

Not sure what this adds, but I wonder how much location/set up affects people’s opinions?

I mostly played Potc at one location which notoriously sets the games at a high pitch, and really liked it.

Then I had the chance to play at another location (that only had it for a short time), but it was set up correctly and I liked it so much more.

I think that’s one of the best aspects of this hobby.... actually owning the machine (or knowing someone who does) and being able to set it up the exact way you want it.

Unfortunately due to Covid I haven’t gone to locations or played pinball in over 6 months, and am away from my home TAF.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Not sure what this adds, but I wonder how much location/set up affects people’s opinions?
    I mostly played Potc at one location which notoriously sets the games at a high pitch, and really liked it.
    Then I had the chance to play at another location (that only had it for a short time), but it was set up correctly and I liked it so much more.
    I think that’s one of the best aspects of this hobby.... actually owning the machine (or knowing someone who does) and being able to set it up the exact way you want it.
    Unfortunately due to Covid I haven’t gone to locations or played pinball in over 6 months, and am away from my home TAF.

No doubt....I mainly play at home, and I couldn't imagine trying to understand a JJP on location....the rules are so complex you would have to spend $1K before u truly understood the game

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Not sure what this adds, but I wonder how much location/set up affects people’s opinions? ...

Based on personal experience, I suspect that this makes a huge difference. Particularly with JJP games as they typically offer a richer sensory and more elaborate gameplay experience better suited to enjoyment in a home environment.

#109 3 years ago

I also hated Woz until playing it at a friends house. All the ones on location were not fun to me, pitch, flipper strength but but also sound volume and lights on location is another factor.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Based on personal experience, I suspect that this makes a huge difference. Particularly with JJP games as they typically offer a richer sensory and more elaborate gameplay experience better suited to enjoyment in a home environment.

This is the same for every pinball machine - play in a quiet darkened environment and your experience improves by 200%.

#111 3 years ago

Hobbit
    Potc
    Di
    Wonka
    Woz

#112 3 years ago

Seems like the opinions are all over the map, some think Wonka is worst some think it's the best and the same can be said about all the pins. That means JJP is doing it correctly they are mixing it up not making the same kind of pin every time.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

This is the same for every pinball machine - play in a quiet darkened environment and your experience improves by 200%.

Of course, but I have found even more so with JJP games for the reasons stated.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Seems like the opinions are all over the map, some think Wonka is worst some think it's the best and the same can be said about all the pins. That means JJP is doing it correctly they are mixing it up not making the same kind of pin every time.

So true^^^^^^^^^^^^

#115 3 years ago

Can someone lend me 20 grand for the NIB POTC SE on EBay? Lol

Sadly by the time I realized I wanted to buy POTC, there were only standards editions available from dealers. For the extra $1000, possibly the LE offered more than any other pin level in history (I think it was 5 upgrades) that I couldn’t settle for the SE, and of course ended up settling for “nothing.”

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

. That means JJP is doing it correctly they are mixing it up not making the same kind of pin every time.

I never thought about it that way, but it’s an excellent point. I can’t agree more. The other thing I’d say about the JJP rankings is that I think the difference between the pins is a matter of degrees and not wide gaps. For example, it’s not like Wonka is horrible. Right? It’s just not quite as good as the others in some people’s opinion.

#117 3 years ago

imho wonka is the best jjp pin

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

imho wonka is the best jjp pin

Ummm I think I agree?

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I never thought about it that way, but it’s an excellent point. I can’t agree more. The other thing I’d say about the JJP rankings is that I think the difference between the pins is a matter of degrees and not wide gaps. For example, it’s not like Wonka is horrible. Right? It’s just not quite as good as the others in some people’s opinion.

All depends on what u like....All JJP pins play differently...some are standard some are wide body. One constant is that all have very deep rule sets, and have programmers that punch out great code. If u like flow than Wonka is clearly the winner with maybe DI a close second. If you like toys and mechs it probably WOZ or POTC....those games are loaded with stuff to do although POTC is a much better game in my opinion. Then of course theres theme....pick you poison, but if u like theme integration its hard to beat Hobbit.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

All depends on what u like....All JJP pins play differently...some are standard some are wide body. One constant is that all have very deep rule sets, and have programmers that punch out great code. If u like flow than Wonka is clearly the winner with maybe DI a close second. If you like toys and mechs it probably WOZ or POTC....those games are loaded with stuff to do although POTC is a much better game in my opinion. Then of course theres theme....pick you poison, but if u like theme integration its hard to beat Hobbit.

I couldn’t have said it better. You hit the nail on the head.

#121 3 years ago

1) TH
    2) POTC (would have been 1st if better licence integration)
    3) WW
    4) DI
    5) WOZ

2 years later
    #122 8 months ago

Sorry for resurection, but i feel thread is still viable.

I have now played all jjp games except gf. I've played them all atleast for a couple of hrs.
    It's all a matter of opinion ofc, but here's where i'm at......

1. Wonka. Love at first play for me. Shots are great layout is varied. Ambience of goofy candyland is there for me.

2. Hobbit. Will last forever in a home collection. The rules and progression is second to only stern jp.
    The athmostphere, call out, theme handling etc is second to none. Has the best and most inspiring wizard modes in all pinball. If shot layout and symethry would have been better, it would have been best ever.

3. Guns and roses. What a beautiful machine. Assets and feeling is there. The game screams rock konsert.
    Downside is that the middle part of the playfield is cluttered. It feels a bit confined and as if im playing a shorter version of a pinball machine.

3. Pirates. I need more time on this. It's a maxed out machine. Lots to do and explore. It's lovely
    I dont really feel it. The shots arent awesome, except the cannon . I dont get the pinball moments, as i do with for ex. Hobbit and gnr.

3. Woz. Such a beauty. Such a theme. Such an imaginative and full playfield. You cant be unaffected.
    The downside is that you mostly end up doing the same shoots over and over.
    Still would love to have in a +5 game collection.

* notice i cant really say wich is best of gnr, pirates or woz, they'll have to share spot 3.

6. Dialed in. Really nice with all toys and eyecandy, somewhat ruined by art and the uggly electric boy and scissor girl.
    What really brings this down is rules and theme inconsistencies. Why am i shooting a spark plug? A spider?
    The only point of the game is electrify phone, start disasters and collect simcard. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

7. Toy story. I' ve only had ten games or so on this machine, but the feeling is like when you read a chapter of a book and then drops it. It's not worth the time.
    Looks beautiful. Is this the best illuminated jjp pin? This is kind of where it ends. The shots are easy and repetetive. The playfield is barren. Toys are static and lifeless. It's a shame and should have been so much more.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-jersey-jack-pinball-machine-/page/3?hl=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.