(Topic ID: 277911)

What is the best Jersey Jack Pinball Machine?

By ilovegames

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Dr-pin
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is the best Jersey Jack Pinball Machine? ”

• Wizard of OZ 81 votes
      18%
    • Hobbit 56 votes
      13%
    • Dialed In 122 votes
      27%
    • Pirates Of The Caribbean 149 votes
      33%
    • Willy Wonka 39 votes
      9%

(447 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4470 (resized).JPG
    99161703-5C66-4998-BFCC-3ACC2B27865A (resized).jpeg
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago

I didn't think a JJP game could be more beautiful than WOZ (Full disclosure: I'm a WOZ owner). But when POTC came out, I realized I was wrong. I've played it many times, but it just doesn't pull me in, though. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just not passionate about the theme, or the music doesn't grab me, or the callouts, or just the gameplay itself. I can't put my finger on it. But it just leaves me bored. Same thing with TZ for me...and I LOVE that theme. So to each his own, I guess.

#52 3 years ago

I bought POTC, DI, and Hobbit. DI was actually my least favorite of the three, but I can see why people like it.

#53 3 years ago

I don’t care for the floating head art on Potc PF.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from ilovegames:

Wow after an early big lead pirates is now only 5 votes ahead of dialed in! 67 to 62. I didn't see that coming!

I did. POTC checks all the boxes for some but there are many that aren't into upper PF's. Also widebodies. while theres no doubt its a fine game DI has the old school PL feel. I won't be surprised if comes out on top in the end. The rest however don't stand a chance.

#55 3 years ago

Its always the next one.

#56 3 years ago

The Hobbit all the way. I found WOZ to be clunky, POTC felt dull as far as callouts/modes/movie assets. Haven't played DI or Wonka to have an opinion on them.

Speaking of weight, I must be stronger than I thought. Everyone told me how heavy TH would be, but I got it up the stairs with my hand truck and my wife spotting me at the bottom. Basically weight of the machine plus my stainless steel appliance dolly (almost 40lbs). Maybe I should enter some competitive dead lift competitions.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I didn't think a JJP game could be more beautiful than WOZ (Full disclosure: I'm a WOZ owner). But when POTC came out, I realized I was wrong. I've played it many times, but it just doesn't pull me in, though. I don't know why. Maybe I'm just not passionate about the theme, or the music doesn't grab me, or the callouts, or just the gameplay itself. I can't put my finger on it. But it just leaves me bored. Same thing with TZ for me...and I LOVE that theme. So to each his own, I guess.

I owned a beautiful TZ for around 5 years and I was bored with it after a short time,but kept it because it impressed other pinheads.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I did. POTC checks all the boxes for some but there are many that aren't into upper PF's. Also widebodies. while theres no doubt its a fine game DI has the old school PL feel. I won't be surprised if comes out on top in the end. The rest however don't stand a chance.

No to mention way more people have had an opportunity to play Dialed In compared to JJP POTC. Lots of people have never had a chance to play it at all or if they have, only a very limited amount of games.

#59 3 years ago

Dialed In Babee! Complete masterpiece, so refreshing to have a original theme, love the art, sound, Easter eggs throughout, love the humor. Complete package. Great shooting game. Would love to see a code update with a hint that Rudy is head of DIE, CRAZY!!!!!

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kingpin22:

Dialed In Babee! Complete masterpiece, so refreshing to have a original theme, love the art, sound, Easter eggs throughout, love the humor. Complete package. Great shooting game. Would love to see a code update with a hint that Rudy is head of DIE, CRAZY!!!!!

This is how I felt about DI until I bought Wonka and I can't stop playing Wonka

#61 3 years ago

This thread is letting me know I need to spend some more time with DI. I own WOZ and TH and love them. I have played DI on location a handful of times but couldn’t fall in love with the theme. Looks like I’m gonna have to give it another go if people love it so much.

As far as POTC, I was bored to death every time I have played it and hate staring at a weird Johnny Depp. I guess the rarity makes people love it because they sure were not buying it was it was for sale!

#62 3 years ago

Dialed In, the only game you can play via your cell phone. Not sure how much extra it cost to implement that feature, but would be interesting to have that as an option on future games. Make for a different kind of tournament.

#63 3 years ago

Its really hard to say which one is the best, and obviously it is subjective as well. JJP games are so varied , and unique, and all of them have aspects that really make them each stand out. And even the one I would rank as the bottom of the JJP offerings is still a remarkable game (and my wife's favorite).

For me :

Dialed In and Pirates are tied for top spot.
    Followed by Wonka, then Woz, then Hobbit.

Even though Woz and Hobbit are at the bottom, they are both stunningly beautiful games, and both a heap of fun with fantastic assets.

#64 3 years ago

Own or have owned them all and Hobbit is #1 for me. Best theme integration of any game, ever. I enjoy the journey and getting through a game with points and high score secondary. The only JJP I have sold so far is Pirates. Exact opposite coding and feel of Hobbit. Yes, it has lots of shots, but horrible theme integration. When you start a multiball it just states the name. No real excitement or fanfare. All modes are identical in that you just hit the number of lit shots vs Hobbit with 33 uniquely coded modes. If only they had assets, Pirates would have been #1 by a mile. I would pick WOZ #2 because it is just beautiful. First game anyone walks up to in my home arcade, every time. Melting the witch is great fun and I love the upper playfields. Dialed In and Wonka are currently a tie for me. I enjoy Dialed In shots more but enjoy Wonka theme more. And of course POTC is last on my list. When the HUO prices soared, I sold...and took home a Wonka and another pin. Enjoy both more than Pirates and kids don't miss it either.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

This thread is letting me know I need to spend some more time with DI. I own WOZ and TH and love them. I have played DI on location a handful of times but couldn’t fall in love with the theme. Looks like I’m gonna have to give it another go if people love it so much.
    As far as POTC, I was bored to death every time I have played it and hate staring at a weird Johnny Depp. I guess the rarity makes people love it because they sure were not buying it was it was for sale!

It took me some time to open up to DI. But it feels more like a 90'S B/W game to me than any modern pin. I think it is truly what JJP set out to do: give the classic B/W feel with modern technology. I am so glad I made a trade for it, because it is becoming one of my favorites.

#66 3 years ago

I’m really glad to see DI get lots of love in this thread. It’s seems like in other similar threads a lot of people are down on it due to the theme. It really is an awesome pin and one I’d like to own someday.

#67 3 years ago

About Dialed In, when I first saw one and played one I knew right then and there I had to own one. So yeah... game is legit. This was back when all I owned or bought were sterns and bally/williams.

#68 3 years ago

Dialed in!

IMG_4470 (resized).JPGIMG_4470 (resized).JPG
    #69 3 years ago

For whatever reason my wife likes DILE most of any of my pins.

I love the selfie camera and lottery scratch off, brings the person out of the box for a few seconds.

#70 3 years ago

Me:
    1. Pirates
    2. Hobbit
    3. Wonka / WOZ
    5. DI

We have them all. Pirates is great and a lot of fun! Hobbit is so immersive and quite a workout. Wonka and WOZ are pretty much tied for me as pretty good ... for different reasons each has it's pluses. DI ... it's a keeper for now but lacks the excitement once the honeymoon is over.

Wife:
    1. Wonka
    2. WOZ
    3. Pirates
    4. Hobbit
    5. DI

My wife likes Wonka and WOZ the best. They are the easiest to get to some of the cool multiballs and light shows in the game.

#71 3 years ago

Maybe you're not a pirate.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

... The only JJP I have sold so far is Pirates. ... Yes, it has lots of shots, but horrible theme integration. When you start a multiball it just states the name. No real excitement or fanfare. ...

No real excitement or fanfare with multiballs?!

(prototype game and code, but still valid)

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Maybe you're not a pirate.

Well, I've got both eyes, but I do have a parrot.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I've gotta say, I agree with him. Listen to it NOT as an owner. It's like he's saying, "Oh, and by the way, World's End Multiball." Not a lot of excitement when announcing the multiballs, and the music isn't very exciting either. That may be one of the things that I couldn't put my finger on when I was saying it didn't grab me. By no means a bad game; it's a great game, in fact. Just not very exciting.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've gotta say, I agree with him. Listen to it NOT as an owner. It's like he's saying, "Oh, and by the way, World's End Multiball." Not a lot of excitement when announcing the multiballs, and the music isn't very exciting either. That may be one of the things that I couldn't put my finger on when I was saying it didn't grab me. By no means a bad game; it's a great game, in fact. Just not very exciting.

Excitement...Just have to get to Dead Man's Chest Wizard mode and kill the kraken. Told its the ultimate killshot in pinball, better than killing Smaug. Of course they made it waay difficult to get there. Like 20 loops or something plus the maphole shot.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Excitement...Just have to get to Dead Man's Chest Wizard mode and kill the kraken. Told its the ultimate killshot in pinball, better than killing Smaug. Of course they made it waay difficult to get there. Like 20 loops or something plus the maphole shot.

Right. Like killing the witch in WOZ or getting to Somewhere Over the Rainbow. But that's JJP games for you--impossible to finish. I guess that's supposed to keep you coming back for more, but at some point you just say screw it because you realize you'll never get close. I like the games where you can just about get to the end...and then you drain. Those are the ones with the highest replayability, IMO. (But I'm still never selling my WOZ!)

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I listened to it plenty as a non-owner. THAT'S why I bought one.

I think the callouts, music, audio, visuals, and yes - multiballs too - are all fantastic with plenty of excitement on Pirates! The current code is even better than what this older video shows too.

#78 3 years ago

JJP fan here. I have played them all as well. Mine are:

1. Hobbit
    2. Wonka
    3. POTC
    4. WOZ
    5. DI

#79 3 years ago

OP when GNR is released, can u update the poll and add it.

#80 3 years ago

(prototype game and code, but still valid)

Were you trying to prove his point? Compare that to Hobbit mulitball start. Night and day.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Right. Like killing the witch in WOZ or getting to Somewhere Over the Rainbow. But that's JJP games for you--impossible to finish. I guess that's supposed to keep you coming back for more, but at some point you just say screw it because you realize you'll never get close. I like the games where you can just about get to the end...and then you drain. Those are the ones with the highest replayability, IMO. (But I'm still never selling my WOZ!)

A very good point....u can however adjust the settings to make it a little easier, but even doing that its a big challenge. I've been playing Wonka a lot and collecting golden tickets is a daunting task

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Were you trying to prove his point? Compare that to Hobbit mulitball start. Night and day.

Hardly. On both counts.

I own the Hobbit and appreciate its multiball starts. I also find myself still in awe of the elaborate visuals and audio that kicks off each of Pirates multiballs even after having viewed them hundreds of times. To dismiss them as unexciting is ridiculous.

#83 3 years ago

I’ve already planned on a JJP pin being my next pin. Tossing out POTC due to price, it’s really a tough decision, especially reading everyone’s thoughts in this thread.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which would be the best to fit into my current collection? I have EHoH, Rob Zombie, Seawitch, Mousin Around, Joker Poker and a Close Encounters. I was thinking TH just because of the journey and the deep modes, which is something I don’t really have now.

#84 3 years ago

POTC has the best look, the coolest toys, the most interesting and deepest ruleset, but I never found the shots to have that level of mechanical satisfaction I'm always looking for. I think Hobbit is probably my fav, though I didn't like the movies very much so that corrupts it for me.

#85 3 years ago

To dismiss them as unexciting is ridiculous.

Comparing POTC multi-ball fanfare to TH is also ridiculous. TH beats it...not even close. The flaw with POTC for me...and it took me like 500 plays to get to this conclusion....is it lacks some soul. It has all the elements of a top 10 game (which I think it is). But for me POTC is not more than the sum of it's parts. Which was one of the reasons I sold mine. Still an amazing game and worthy of the price it commands.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Comparing POTC multi-ball fanfare to TH is also ridiculous. TH beats it...not even close. The flaw with POTC for me...and it took me like 500 plays to get to this conclusion....is it lacks some soul. It has all the elements of a top 10 game (which I think it is). But for me POTC is not more than the sum of it's parts. Which was one of the reasons I sold mine. Still an amazing game and worthy of the price it commands.

comparing any two games is pretty much ridiculous....their all different for all the obvious reasons. For me POTC is a masterpiece because theres so much to do, and blowing up the ship is one of the best shots in pinball....

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Dialed In, the only game you can play via your cell phone. Not sure how much extra it cost to implement that feature, but would be interesting to have that as an option on future games. Make for a different kind of tournament.

It is completely useless. The kind of app you install and try, then removes after five mins.

I’ve unfortunately never played wonka or pirates. Both seems lovely, esp wonka.

Hobbit is the best one, of the three i’ve tried. Woz is just lovely, but at the same time hard and frustrating.
    Dialed in which i currently have here at home, doesnt really grab me. I just dont see the point why im playing.
    It has lots of beautiful stuff, which none of interacts with the ball. It is completely unable to draw me in.
    Wife likes di and so does my youngest daughter, in her case because the selfie and emoji times.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Comparing POTC multi-ball fanfare to TH is also ridiculous. TH beats it...not even close. ...

If you say so. Regardless, any comparison has not been my point.

Simply defending Pirates from what I consider to be unfair mischaracterizations has been.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Me:
    1. Pirates
    2. Hobbit
    3. Wonka / WOZ
    5. DI
    We have them all. Pirates is great and a lot of fun! Hobbit is so immersive and quite a workout. Wonka and WOZ are pretty much tied for me as pretty good ... for different reasons each has it's pluses. DI ... it's a keeper for now but lacks the excitement once the honeymoon is over.
    Wife:
    1. Wonka
    2. WOZ
    3. Pirates
    4. Hobbit
    5. DI
    My wife likes Wonka and WOZ the best. They are the easiest to get to some of the cool multiballs and light shows in the game.

Oh, yeah, didn't think of ranking this way. DI is last on my wife's list as well, "that stupid cellphone game," but she went from "I can't believe you're buying that" to enjoying it and laughing at its humor at this point. PotC is her #1 of the Jersey Jacks and everything else. If I ever put out a FS ad for that I should probably update my old dating profile at the same time.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Oh, yeah, didn't think of ranking this way. DI is last on my wife's list as well, "that stupid cellphone game," but she went from "I can't believe you're buying that" to enjoying it and laughing at its humor at this point. PotC is her #1 of the Jersey Jacks and everything else. If I ever put out a FS ad for that I should probably update my old dating profile at the same time.

Why bother? Once the next prospect finds out you sold it, the relationship would be over.

#91 3 years ago

Simply defending Pirates from what I consider to be unfair mischaracterizations has been.

They're just opinions. You never have to defend an opinion. You're entitled to it and it's no less valid than anyone else's. Cue the Lebowski meme...

#92 3 years ago

I wonder how much of the love for Pirates is fueled by the difficulty to obtain it. I was definitely guilty of this for MM and MB. They were rare and/or very expensive for a long time. After owning both remakes, that aspect wore off. They are both fantastic games, but maybe not as good as I thought. I probably only have a dozen games on Pirates so I can't give a fair review, but I'm surprised it's so high on the list.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They're just opinions. You never have to defend an opinion. You're entitled to it and it's no less valid than anyone else's. Cue the Lebowski meme...

Yes - thank you.

And if you choose to share your opinion, others are entitled to disagree with it.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I wonder how much of the love for Pirates is fueled by the difficulty to obtain it. I was definitely guilty of this for MM and MB. They were rare and/or very expensive for a long time. After owning both remakes, that aspect wore off. They are both fantastic games, but maybe not as good as I thought. I probably only have a dozen games on Pirates so I can't give a fair review, but I'm surprised it's so high on the list.

You bring up a good point although it really is a great game that is really only appreciated in a home environment as it has a very complex rule set.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

You bring up a good point although it really is a great game that is really only appreciated in a home environment as it has a very complex rule set.

Wonka is better in home for the learning curve

#96 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Wonka is better on home for the learning curve

Hard to argue....I've had my LE for months and still not exactly sure how the rules work....I'm beginning to think that some GT's are almost impossible to get I've never got more than 3 (once)...I can usually get two, which is nice because u can get to Wonka's office

#97 3 years ago

I have Wonka CE, WOZ YBR and DILE. In our house, it’s Wonka followed closely by Woz. We never got into DILE but I am going to give it more time...

#98 3 years ago

Yes - thank you.
    And if you choose to share your opinion, others are entitled to disagree with it.

I agree!

#99 3 years ago

Come on DI!!! Gaining ground.

#100 3 years ago

I've owned all but WONKA. Here are my rankings:

1. POTC
    2. DI
    3. WOZ
    4. HOBBIT

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-jersey-jack-pinball-machine-/page/2?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.