(Topic ID: 192374)

What Is The Best Gottlieb Baseball Pinball Machine (and why)?

By tdwin2000

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pinballprowess
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

grand slam and sluggin' champ (resized).jpg
DSCN0644 (1) (resized).JPG
DSCN0645 (2) (resized).JPG
DSCN0642 (resized).JPG
IMG_3702 (resized).JPG
IMG_3701 (resized).JPG
IMG_3700 (resized).JPG
IMG_3674 (resized).JPG
IMG_3699 (resized).JPG
IMG_3683 (resized).JPG
IMG_3682 (resized).JPG
IMG_3681 (resized).jpg
IMG_3677 (resized).JPG
IMG_3676 (resized).JPG
IMG_3673 (resized).JPG
IMG_3670 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

I know it's a matter of opinion. But, Baseball, Play Ball, Grand Slam, World Series, Big Hit...there must be others. I know Play Ball has some significance as the first Gottlieb pinball machine to use the 3" flippers (1971). But as far as play of the game and the way the machine looks, I need some input on this.

#2 2 years ago

Never played the others, but Big Hit is fun. Four flippers, lots of drop targets, and a number of ways to win a credit. Score, runs and specials (and Match). Even though it's one of the only wedgeheads (maybe only one?) that resets the drop targets every ball, it seems to make sense considering the theme (Baseball, 5 innings, starting from scratch every inning... I like it!) It has longer ball times then my other wedgeheads, which is fine. You can adjust the run and score replays to your liking.

#3 2 years ago

Big Hit is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion! Two of my favorite things are pinball and baseball and I just recently bought my second Big Hit. I sold the first one I had because the second one, which is as close to perfect as you can get, became available to me. The long target shots are challenging enough when you need to snipe one or two in order to light the special. The shot for special isn't as easy as it looks too. I enjoy the number of ways to win a game on this machine: Score, Runs, Special and Match. Pinning the vari-target for a HR is difficult, but overall it's the best sport theme machine Gottlieb made. I put it in my top 10 wedgeheads because I'm a huge baseball fan, but it is a very fun and attractive player, with great bell sounds, that keeps you coming back to play.

IMG_3670 (resized).JPG

IMG_3673 (resized).JPG

IMG_3676 (resized).JPG

IMG_3677 (resized).JPG

IMG_3681 (resized).jpg

IMG_3682 (resized).JPG

IMG_3683 (resized).JPG

IMG_3699 (resized).JPG

IMG_3674 (resized).JPG

IMG_3700 (resized).JPG

IMG_3701 (resized).JPG

IMG_3702 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago

Your Big Hit is in fabulous condition.

#5 2 years ago

Wait a minute. I don't remember Gottliebs having a lighted start button. Did you mod that Big Hit?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Wait a minute. I don't remember Gottliebs having a lighted start button. Did you mod that Big Hit?

You can also add the lit flipper buttons as well.

Beautiful looking Big Hit there Phillips88.

#7 2 years ago

Looks like your Big Hit is a big hit!

(I agree! Gorgeous!)

#8 2 years ago

I am partial to Batter Up/Baseball. I like small flipper games with inlanes (there are very few), and this one nails the theme and art perfectly. Not a big fan of the other baseball games with no shooter lane (I don't like not having a plunger on an EM), and it doesn't really make much sense that big hit has an extra set of flippers and drop targets in the outfield.

Batter Up is simple, nails the theme, and the backglass animation is really cool as well.

#9 2 years ago

Love Bit Hit.

Sluggin Champ 1955 is a superb player due to the fact that RBI's scored increase each ball so a great final ball can take a nothing game to a special game.

#10 2 years ago

Having played Big Hit at the PHoF, it does have that play it again feeling.

Partial to 1970 Baseball. 2 inch Flippers. Backglass animation. Also the first American pin with Star Roll Overs.

DSCN0642 (resized).JPG
DSCN0645 (2) (resized).JPG
DSCN0644 (1) (resized).JPG

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Having played Big Hit at the PHoF, it does have that play it again feeling.
Partial to 1970 Baseball. 2 inch Flippers. Backglass animation. Also the first American pin with Star Roll Overs.

AND the rollovers are very cool in that they track baserunners like the backglass animation.

The only think I hate about this one is the Ball in PLay apron indicators which are always flickery and a pain to rebuild.

#12 2 years ago

I have the Add-a-Ball Gottlieb Baseball themes, and although I don't have the
Home Run set up, I have played a Buddys and leaning toward that one being the
one that I enjoyed playing the most..
I have a couple Extra Innings that I haven't gone through or played yet, but I'm
not seeing that as being one of the better ones..

#13 2 years ago

Big Hit
Chicago Cubs Triple Play
Silver Slugger

#14 2 years ago

Gottlieb's 1953 Grand Slam

Nothing else even comes close.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Gottlieb's 1953 Grand Slam
Nothing else even comes close.

Better than Sluggin Champ?

Always wanted to play 1953 Grand Slam as heard it is a cracker

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Better than Sluggin Champ?
Always wanted to play 1953 Grand Slam as heard it is a cracker

I would say better... but Sluggin' Champ is certainly in the ball park.

#17 2 years ago

Having both, side by side, my personal opinion is that they are really about equal. Both have multiple ways to win and you can have a few stinker balls and rally toward the end of either game and win replays.

I like that art a little better on the Grand Slam...Parker "cartoonish" with lots of activity.

But as Pinballprowess states, they are both in the same ball park!

grand slam and sluggin' champ (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Having both, side by side, my personal opinion is that they are really about equal. Both have multiple ways to win and you can have a few stinker balls and rally toward the end of either game and win replays.
I like that art a little better on the Grand Slam...Parker "cartoonish" with lots of activity.
But as Pinballprowess states, they are both in the same ball park!

Well, if nothing else... there goes my "nothing even comes close" out the window.

I forgot about Sluggin' Champ... to be honest.

And even though I'll still stick with Grand Slam being the better of the two... I would also say Sluggin' Champ is easily in the higher tier of 'any' Gottlieb woodrails, baseball themed or not.

I know a woodrail collector (actually we both know him) who says Sluggin' Champ is his favorite game. Any time a collector says this about a game... it always sticks in the back of my mind.

Plus I'm a 'huuuge' fan of button rollover specials, I just think they're, well... special.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
€ 8.40
$ 28.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 4.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside