New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 249495)

What is the best frozen pizza?

By FatPanda

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 124 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by girloveswaffles
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 77 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190912_150235 (resized).jpg
    5bfe78b996600 (resized).jpg
    c700x420 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    cWLBfd6ERSKz5JO9Ji7W_FK1A0811 (resized).jpg
    drafthaus (resized).JPG
    screamin (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20190831_080959.jpg
    Donatos_Pizza (resized).JPG
    2-1 (resized).jpg
    Kirkland-Thin-Crust-Pepperoni-Pizza-13 (resized).jpg
    E1AC5115-B2A3-44E3-A5DB-69CD4AFA6BEC (resized).jpeg
    20190820_075316 (resized).jpg
    ginos (resized).png
    am-flat-img_2150 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Tell me what your favorite frozen pizza is. Can be thin or rising crust (or anything in between). Preferably something that can be bought at most large grocery stores (so that I can try them). Bonus points for listing specific toppings.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isjack:

https://heggiespizza.com/
    Deluxe Combo and/or Sausage.

I'll see if we have any of those near me!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Stouffers french bread[quoted image]

Stouffer's? Interesting!

#37 1 year ago

My pizza run for a quick dinner and movie tonight with the kiddos (based on your recommendations of course). Playing on the big screen will be adult favorite Detective Pikachu! The meat pizza is for the kids and the (WI based) Buffalo chicken will be for me and the lady.

The Stouffers will be for a different day. Will report back with my 30+ yrs of frozen pizza experience.

20190815_153630 (resized).jpg20190815_153643 (resized).jpg20190815_153646 (resized).jpg
    #39 1 year ago

I make thin crust pizza when I have time and want "good" pizza, but some days you just want turn on the oven and throw one in without any work.

#41 1 year ago

I haven't had them before either. Was just surprised with all the sophistication present here on the boards that they would be recommended!

My guilty pleasure are the pizza rolls. I could do a giant bag by myself.

#58 1 year ago

When you've got 2 kids under 5, pizza is life.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cudaman:

Another vote for Heggies!

I'll have to bring some home next time I'm in the Twin Cities. Gotta ask my brother-in-law about these.

#95 1 year ago

This is our normal...need something different every once in a while, but perfect for a late night munchie.

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I've heard cheap frozen pizzas come out great in the Big Green Egg. I haven't tried it yet. Any comments?

I have a round pizza stone for our Weber grill. Not quite a green egg, but it gets hot enough to make a nice crispy thin crust with a subtle charcoal flavor. It's good stuff and what I use during warmer months for homemade pizza. Otherwise, we have a square stone for our oven in the colder months.

20190605_175358 (resized).jpg
    #103 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What do you use between the pizza dough and the stone as a loosening agent?

Corn meal. I spread a dusting of corn meal on my pizza peel toss the flattened out dough on top, add my toppings, then shuffle the pizza back and forth so that it can slide off easily onto the stone. To take it off the stone, I just use one of those round aluminum thin pizza pans.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Saw the thread in the main page and thought... hey, I gotta come on here and tell him about Heggies!! Well, looks like I’m a bit late... but I’ll hook you up next time I come down to Madison. That is if I can remember... getting old you know!!

Nah, I'll just swing up by you for pizza and beer. Frozen if it isn't a hassle I'll bring the beer!

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I haven't had an actual frozen pizza in a long time. If I am making pizza at home, I buy the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Only takes a minute to make and kids like making their own. In the summers, I used to get mini bagels so the kids can make little pizzas with them. Those are pretty dang good. Funny thing is I used to buy those mini frozen pizzas for the kids but they wouldn't touch them. Man, if you saw those sitting in the freezer when I was a kid, it was a good day.[quoted image]

I worked in grocery when I was a kid and saw way too many of these crusts get moldy on the shelf! Could never get myself to try them because of that!

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Those are great, I've been finding them at Costco. Great flavor and rather healthy. I'll admit I also make from scratch one of these Ginos East replicas every week or so and eat the whole thing on a cheat day lol.
    [quoted image]

That's homemade? Looks great!

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

These are dam good. Pricey, but a lot of times i can get them for buy 1 get 1 free..[quoted image]

They're good, but I think the cheese gets a little too rubbery for my taste. I like stretchy cheese, but these seem to take it one step beyond that.

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Love the taste of lighter fluid in the evening.

lol. You're doing it wrong if you're still using lighter fluid. Chimney FTW!

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, thanks! I've been getting into making different types of pizza over the past year. Here's the recipe I use for the dough, this will make 2 of the pizzas above using the pan below. This will replicate Gino's East pizza dough fairly closely, can add yellow food coloring during first step if you want it to have the yellow look of their dough. I now pass this recipe of carbs and calories to my fellow Pinsiders lol.
    amazon.com link »
    Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup of warm water
    • 1 package of yeast (2 1/4 tsp per package)
    • 1lb flour (4 cups, recipe mentioned weighing flour, I use bread flour)
    • 1 tsp salt
    • Mixture, 1/2 cup corn oil with 1 tbsp olive oil
    Steps
    • Mix warm water, yeast in bowl (mix for only 10 - 15 seconds, let sit for 10 - 15 minutes before next step)
    • Add flour, salt, and oil
    • Stir until it comes together
    • Knead for 2 minutes by hand
    • Will come out rough, add small amounts of water to dough at a time if the mixture is crumbling
    • Cover with plastic wrap (let rise for at least 90 minutes at room temp, or overnight in fridge for more flavor)
    Roll out dough so its wider than the pan in the above link, enough so it comes up to the edges. Toppings in first, then cheese, then sauce on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, I place the pan on a pizza stone that is preheated in the oven. If using sausage try putting chunks of it in uncooked, comes out great. Can also try lining the edges of the pan with slices of mozzarella cheese, this is what a lot of Detroit style pizza places do.

I will definitely make this! I've always wanted to try legit Detroit style pizza also. Gotta make it to Detroit for the real deal I suppose.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Frozen pizza is for godless communists awful stuff

C'mon man. Let's keep it drama free. It's frozen pizza.

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:Guy asked for frozen pizza recommendations.
    Why are we getting anything but frozen pizza recommendations?
    Who gives a crap if you are too elitist to allow frozen to pass your sophisticated lips? Keep it to yourself.
    If you like DiGiorno, you'll love Mama Cozzi's rising crust from Aldi, just as good or better for a mere $2.69!

Aldi has underrated stuff for sure. Gonna have to try some.

I'm as much of a pizza snob as the next guy, but sometimes, you just don't give a crap. Time/money/hunger/convenience all play a factor.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I recently discovered Crav'n cheese stuffed crust and they are now my frozen pizza of choice. Not the cheapest, but tasty.[quoted image]

I saw these at Woodman's yesterday. Was wondering if they were any good beyond the fancy packaging. I actually like the clear wrap that some pizzas use, so you can see the toppings on it. Some pizzas, you can tell by looking, will taste like crap.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Wouldn't be pinside, now would it?
    I tend to agree that frozen pizza isn't my favorite meal, but sometimes the kids are hungry and you've got no time for a 10 hour smoked brisket!!

It's 10 pm on a Friday night, the kids are in bed, and you've got the munchies after a few beers. You better believe I'm gonna see what's in the freezer!

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Frozen? Not during my watch...[quoted image][quoted image]

I would love to have a built-in oven in my back patio. Nice set up!

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I'm here to tell you that's good too. Pequod's is my favorite though.
    This thread is about the best frozen pizza from a grocery store!

I had Pequad's for the first time a couple weeks ago, after an improv comedy show. That place was busy at 11:30pm on a Saturday night! It was good, but I'm not sure if I would wait an hour again for it. I might consider it during on "off-peak" meal time, like at 2 or 3 pm, but not if it's that busy.

Quoted from MikeS:

They sell Geno's East Deepdish at my local Woodman's if I'm ever in the mood for Chicago Deepdish at home. It's quite reasonable in price compared to Malnati's. Usually for frozen pizza though I just want something quick.[quoted image]

We've had this Gino's frozen, but it takes like 45 minutes to make. I'm all for <20 minutes for a decent frozen pie, under $10.

I'm still looking forward to the Stouffer's FBP. I never had the luxury as a kid, but now I'm an adult and get to make adult decisions

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I cant believe American Flatbread hasn't been brought up.. that or papa ginos![quoted image][quoted image]

Can't say I've seen these available around me.

#183 1 year ago

I tried the Stouffer's FBP last night, and I have to say, it wasn't terrible. I'm not sure I would go out of my way to add it to the cart every time, but it wasn't so bad that I didn't eat any of it. It wasn't anything special. It was a little "bready" but it's also a "french bread" pizza.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

I got this at target, it was surprisingly great, and I love pizza.[quoted image]

I've seen this and will have to try it next time!

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Loui's in Hazel Park Michigan has some of the best Detroit style pizza around (my favorite Detroit style). Buddys is another good choice here in Michigan, Shields too.
    I went too far today with my pizza making. I made a BBQ chicken version of a Ginos East pizza today, 1lb of cheese, chicken, bacon, red onion, topped with Buffalo Wild Wings honey BBQ sauce. I ate half earlier in the day and just finished the other half. Need help, well Tums at least lol.
    [quoted image]

Looks yummy! Eating half of it in one sitting though and you'll find me regretting my life decisions lol

#191 1 year ago

Got a shoutout on the Special When Lit podcast! Looking forward to the results of the pizza bracket lol

thanks Ken and Bill!

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from Catch86:

Of course there are a few Pizza places that make awesome pizza but that's a different matter. Oh and don't even get me started on what a Hamburger pizza should be. I love hamburger pizza. Different states have different ideas of what that means.

I've had 2 types and I don't mind either, and have actually made both. The "traditional" type is tomato sauce as the base, mozz/cheddar mix (70:30 probably), finely ground beef, yellow onions, chopped bacon.

The other type I've made uses a ketchup/mustard (to taste) base, large chunks of ground beef (to simulate the patty), shredded mozz/cheddar (50:50), yellow onion, chopped bacon, chopped pickle spears. The key is not to use too much ketchup or it'll overpower the pizza. If you squirt on thin lines, (no need to spread) it works out well.

I know it sounds kinda wacky, but it's pretty tasty. Reserved for a thicker style crust that can hold all of the ingredients. The first type I make on a thin crust like most of my other pizzas.

2 weeks later
    #209 1 year ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have found two brands recently that are really good for frozen pizza. Screamin' Sicillian and Drafthaus.[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm craving a Pep's (Drafthaus) right now for the game tonight. The buffalo chicken that I got was good, so gonna have to get that and another kind.

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wanna try this kind! Sure looks good.

that little bastard...

#235 1 year ago

Found this at my local Costco. I would have walked by it if not for this thread. Hopefully it doesnt disappoint!

20190912_150235 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 159.00
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 27.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    € 8.50
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside