(Topic ID: 249495)

What is the best frozen pizza?

By FatPanda

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190912_150235 (resized).jpg
    5bfe78b996600 (resized).jpg
    c700x420 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    cWLBfd6ERSKz5JO9Ji7W_FK1A0811 (resized).jpg
    drafthaus (resized).JPG
    screamin (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20190831_080959.jpg
    Donatos_Pizza (resized).JPG
    2-1 (resized).jpg
    Kirkland-Thin-Crust-Pepperoni-Pizza-13 (resized).jpg
    E1AC5115-B2A3-44E3-A5DB-69CD4AFA6BEC (resized).jpeg
    20190820_075316 (resized).jpg
    ginos (resized).png
    am-flat-img_2150 (resized).jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What do you use between the pizza dough and the stone as a loosening agent?

Corn meal..

#102 4 years ago

Never had a Stouffer's (going to have to try now!)... But these are pretty damn good!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #103 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

What do you use between the pizza dough and the stone as a loosening agent?

Corn meal. I spread a dusting of corn meal on my pizza peel toss the flattened out dough on top, add my toppings, then shuffle the pizza back and forth so that it can slide off easily onto the stone. To take it off the stone, I just use one of those round aluminum thin pizza pans.

#104 4 years ago

Emil’s is pretty good .

52865275-8268-406B-BA44-DE692E81D555 (resized).jpeg52865275-8268-406B-BA44-DE692E81D555 (resized).jpeg
    #105 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Thanks. I understand now.

Its a television commercial...

Frau_Farbissina_APIMOM-1 (resized).jpgFrau_Farbissina_APIMOM-1 (resized).jpg
    #106 4 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

This is the correct answer..

I was thinking this is.

Quoted from RatShack:

Whatever is on sale.

#107 4 years ago

Used to eat Tombstone at a local tavern as a kid with my grandfather. Didn’t even know you could buy at the store until I got older. Still a favorite of mine.

028FD918-F8E6-4D59-9AC6-BDA44D219043 (resized).jpeg028FD918-F8E6-4D59-9AC6-BDA44D219043 (resized).jpeg
    #108 4 years ago

Saw the thread in the main page and thought... hey, I gotta come on here and tell him about Heggies!! Well, looks like I’m a bit late... but I’ll hook you up next time I come down to Madison. That is if I can remember... getting old you know!!

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Used to do the Freschetta supreme, but I'm off frozen now: mostly get Papa Murphy's take 'n bake. They don't do as many 50% off email deals as they used to unfortunately, that's about as cheap as frozen when they do.

You got to put a link in there.

Papa Murphy's for me. They make the pizza, wrap it up and you bake it. You can add stuff and move stuff all around before you stick it in the oven. Several $5 choices on Tuesdays or 1/2 off $20 order pretty much every week.

https://www.papamurphys.com/

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Saw the thread in the main page and thought... hey, I gotta come on here and tell him about Heggies!! Well, looks like I’m a bit late... but I’ll hook you up next time I come down to Madison. That is if I can remember... getting old you know!!

Nah, I'll just swing up by you for pizza and beer. Frozen if it isn't a hassle I'll bring the beer!

#111 4 years ago

I haven't had an actual frozen pizza in a long time. If I am making pizza at home, I buy the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Only takes a minute to make and kids like making their own. In the summers, I used to get mini bagels so the kids can make little pizzas with them. Those are pretty dang good. Funny thing is I used to buy those mini frozen pizzas for the kids but they wouldn't touch them. Man, if you saw those sitting in the freezer when I was a kid, it was a good day.

pizza (resized).jpegpizza (resized).jpeg
    #112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

A bit healthier and pretty tasty my too
    [quoted image]

Those are great, I've been finding them at Costco. Great flavor and rather healthy. I'll admit I also make from scratch one of these Ginos East replicas every week or so and eat the whole thing on a cheat day lol.

20190719_201737 (resized).jpg20190719_201737 (resized).jpg

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Tell me what your favorite frozen pizza is. ...

Giordano's or Lou Malnati's

AND ... only because I can't get them fresh here in Seattle. Otherwise, I avoid frozen pizza if possible.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I haven't had an actual frozen pizza in a long time. If I am making pizza at home, I buy the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings. Only takes a minute to make and kids like making their own. In the summers, I used to get mini bagels so the kids can make little pizzas with them. Those are pretty dang good. Funny thing is I used to buy those mini frozen pizzas for the kids but they wouldn't touch them. Man, if you saw those sitting in the freezer when I was a kid, it was a good day.[quoted image]

I worked in grocery when I was a kid and saw way too many of these crusts get moldy on the shelf! Could never get myself to try them because of that!

#115 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Those are great, I've been finding them at Costco. Great flavor and rather healthy. I'll admit I also make from scratch one of these Ginos East replicas every week or so and eat the whole thing on a cheat day lol.
    [quoted image]

That's homemade? Looks great!

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Smith:

Toss-up between these two...[quoted image][quoted image]

I get those Red Baron Singles at the dollar store one for a dollar sold separately. They are really very good! The supreme one is great and if you add a little more motz they are excellent!

#117 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

That's homemade? Looks great!

Yeah, thanks! I've been getting into making different types of pizza over the past year. Here's the recipe I use for the dough, this will make 2 of the pizzas above using the pan below. This will replicate Gino's East pizza dough fairly closely, can add yellow food coloring during first step if you want it to have the yellow look of their dough. I now pass this recipe of carbs and calories to my fellow Pinsiders lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YKGRY6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup of warm water
    • 1 package of yeast (2 1/4 tsp per package)
    • 1lb flour (4 cups, recipe mentioned weighing flour, I use bread flour)
    • 1 tsp salt
    • Mixture, 1/2 cup corn oil with 1 tbsp olive oil

Steps

• Mix warm water, yeast in bowl (mix for only 10 - 15 seconds, let sit for 10 - 15 minutes before next step)
    • Add flour, salt, and oil
    • Stir until it comes together
    • Knead for 2 minutes by hand
    • Will come out rough, add small amounts of water to dough at a time if the mixture is crumbling
    • Cover with plastic wrap (let rise for at least 90 minutes at room temp, or overnight in fridge for more flavor)

Roll out dough so its wider than the pan in the above link, enough so it comes up to the edges. Toppings in first, then cheese, then sauce on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, I place the pan on a pizza stone that is preheated in the oven. If using sausage try putting chunks of it in uncooked, comes out great. Can also try lining the edges of the pan with slices of mozzarella cheese, this is what a lot of Detroit style pizza places do.

#118 4 years ago

These are dam good. Pricey, but a lot of times i can get them for buy 1 get 1 free..

pizza (resized).jpgpizza (resized).jpg
    #119 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Is Giordano’s available in Virginia? I would not mind giving it a try on one of my good acid reflux days.

Order online and ships right to your door. Same with Lou’s

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

with a subtle charcoal flavor.

Love the taste of lighter fluid in the evening.

Quoted from Mvfvette1:

I'm not a big fan of frozen pizza, but this one is really good. Unfortunately, it's probably not available throughout the country. I also occasionally have a craving for good old Ellios.[quoted image]

Tomato pies are also a Philadelphia thing. I don't know of any frozen ones... but as far as pizzas go they're very inexpensive from the bakery/pizzeria.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

These are dam good. Pricey, but a lot of times i can get them for buy 1 get 1 free..[quoted image]

They're good, but I think the cheese gets a little too rubbery for my taste. I like stretchy cheese, but these seem to take it one step beyond that.

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Love the taste of lighter fluid in the evening.

lol. You're doing it wrong if you're still using lighter fluid. Chimney FTW!

#123 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, thanks! I've been getting into making different types of pizza over the past year. Here's the recipe I use for the dough, this will make 2 of the pizzas above using the pan below. This will replicate Gino's East pizza dough fairly closely, can add yellow food coloring during first step if you want it to have the yellow look of their dough. I now pass this recipe of carbs and calories to my fellow Pinsiders lol.
    amazon.com link »
    Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup of warm water
    • 1 tsp salt
    Steps
    • Mix warm water, yeast in bowl (mix for only 10 - 15 seconds, let sit for 10 - 15 minutes before next step)
    • Will come out rough, add small amounts of water to dough at a time if the mixture is crumbling
    • Cover with plastic wrap (let rise for at least 90 minutes at room temp, or overnight in fridge for more flavor)
    Roll out dough so its wider than the pan in the above link, enough so it comes up to the edges. Toppings in first, then cheese, then sauce on top. Bake at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes, I place the pan on a pizza stone that is preheated in the oven. If using sausage try putting chunks of it in uncooked, comes out great. Can also try lining the edges of the pan with slices of mozzarella cheese, this is what a lot of Detroit style pizza places do.

I will definitely make this! I've always wanted to try legit Detroit style pizza also. Gotta make it to Detroit for the real deal I suppose.

#124 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

What is the best frozen pizza at Whole Foods?

For shame! NY, NY... no need for frozen pizza!

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Emil’s is pretty good .[quoted image]

Emil's is a local favorite and has been around for probably 50 Years. Their claim to fame is making and delivering their frozen Pizza to Taverns in southern Wisconsin and also supplying the Oven to cook them with. It's not owned by the original family that started it Watertown any more, but they still use the original secret sausage and sauce recipes. Lebbys is a Emil's knock-off by a former employee who took a lot of their Tavern business. It has a similar taste, but not the same.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The stop sign shaped mexican pizza? I remember those and drenching it in ranch dressing during middle school. The regular pizza was square shaped.

Yep, GFS had to special order them for me. Had to order 50 of them at a time. Gave a bunch away to my buddies.

#127 4 years ago

Jack's Original Pepperoni. cheap, fast, good.

#128 4 years ago

I have nothing nice to say about frozen pizza so I won't comment about it. .. but whhhyyyyy...not spend a few dollars more and buy REAL pizza. Baked in a REAL oven designed for pizza. Just sayin

#129 4 years ago

Frozen pizza is for godless communists awful stuff

#130 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

amazon.com link »
    Ingredients
    • 3/4 cup of warm water
    • 1 tsp salt
    Steps

You might have to change your name from PanzerFreak.....to ....DoughBoy

#131 4 years ago

Eat enough processed meats in your lifetime and you’ll be sitting on a table someday talking to a dude in a white coat about how much intestine they need to remove.

#132 4 years ago

Guy asked for frozen pizza recommendations.

Why are we getting anything but frozen pizza recommendations?

Who gives a crap if you are too elitist to allow frozen to pass your sophisticated lips? Keep it to yourself.

If you like DiGiorno, you'll love Mama Cozzi's rising crust from Aldi, just as good or better for a mere $2.69!

#133 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Frozen pizza is for godless communists awful stuff

C'mon man. Let's keep it drama free. It's frozen pizza.

#134 4 years ago

I recently discovered Crav'n cheese stuffed crust and they are now my frozen pizza of choice. Not the cheapest, but tasty.

CF_FznPizza_StuffedCrust_3Meat (resized).jpgCF_FznPizza_StuffedCrust_3Meat (resized).jpg
    #135 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:Guy asked for frozen pizza recommendations.
    Why are we getting anything but frozen pizza recommendations?
    Who gives a crap if you are too elitist to allow frozen to pass your sophisticated lips? Keep it to yourself.
    If you like DiGiorno, you'll love Mama Cozzi's rising crust from Aldi, just as good or better for a mere $2.69!

Aldi has underrated stuff for sure. Gonna have to try some.

I'm as much of a pizza snob as the next guy, but sometimes, you just don't give a crap. Time/money/hunger/convenience all play a factor.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBeerGuy:

I recently discovered Crav'n cheese stuffed crust and they are now my frozen pizza of choice. Not the cheapest, but tasty.[quoted image]

I saw these at Woodman's yesterday. Was wondering if they were any good beyond the fancy packaging. I actually like the clear wrap that some pizzas use, so you can see the toppings on it. Some pizzas, you can tell by looking, will taste like crap.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmasher:

Jack's Original Pepperoni. cheap, fast, good.

Jack's pepperoni is my go-to! I can regularly find them on sale at Menards for 5/$10. The sauce on Jack's is way better than most other frozen pizzas which are more bland and sweet. I add my own mozzarella cheese along with red pepper flakes, basil, oregano and salt+pepperoni and it's quite tasty. Better than delivery pizza like Papa John's or Dominoes. Also Digorno or any rising crust pizza is awful.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

These are dam good. Pricey, but a lot of times i can get them for buy 1 get 1 free..[quoted image]

heard these are awesome, going to try one this week.

#139 4 years ago

138 posts and still going. I guess there are a lot of opinions on here...just like pinballs.

Maybe we should start a "Top 100." Lololololol

#140 4 years ago

Yeah, I know it's not a frozen pizza, but we've been making tortilla pizzas lately. Take an extra large flour tortilla, spray a little pam on the bottom, then build a pizza on the top with whatever toppings you like. Put it on the grill on low heat and when the bottom is crispy, the top will be done. You'd be amazed how that tortilla can transform into a damn good pizza crust. And another bonus is you can do this with a group of people. Everyone gets exactly the pizza they want, so everyone's happy.
    Give it a try.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

C'mon man. Let's keep it drama free. It's frozen pizza.

Wouldn't be pinside, now would it?

I tend to agree that frozen pizza isn't my favorite meal, but sometimes the kids are hungry and you've got no time for a 10 hour smoked brisket!!

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

Wouldn't be pinside, now would it?
    I tend to agree that frozen pizza isn't my favorite meal, but sometimes the kids are hungry and you've got no time for a 10 hour smoked brisket!!

It's 10 pm on a Friday night, the kids are in bed, and you've got the munchies after a few beers. You better believe I'm gonna see what's in the freezer!

#143 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Stouffers french bread[quoted image]

+1 Unfortunately the grocery stores around me only carry the cheese pizza...the supreme was my favorite......

#144 4 years ago

These are great on pizza

IMG_9297 (resized).JPGIMG_9297 (resized).JPG
    #145 4 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

You might have to change your name from PanzerFreak.....to ....DoughBoy

I really tried really hard today, only ate a large thin crust pizza, THIN crust! That's an improvement lol.

#146 4 years ago

I vote for Newman's Own.

#147 4 years ago

I've had good experiences with these tips for getting best results from a frozen pizza. The key is crank your oven as high as it will go and then quick-cook it. Works best if you thaw the frozen pizza first.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips/comments/62j2zi/lpt_for_better_baked_frozen_pizza_ignore_the/?st=j0y4qsxr&sh=fc3558c1

#148 4 years ago

Frozen? Not during my watch...

20160625_154846 (resized).jpg20160625_154846 (resized).jpg20180127_122530 (resized).jpg20180127_122530 (resized).jpg
    #149 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Digorno or any rising crust pizza is awful.

Must be why they sell nearly a third of all frozen pizzas in the US, despite being a bit pricey.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/915572/leading-frozen-pizza-brands-us-dollar-sales/
    Over four times what Jack's sells.

Some prefer thin crust. I like all kinds of crusts. Don't be a crustist!

#150 4 years ago

If you have a Trader Joes near you they sell fresh whole wheat dough for a buck.Spread it out and put whatever you want on it.It's very easy a lot healthier and cheap.And their pizza sauce is very good as well.

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-frozen-pizza/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.