(Topic ID: 243463)

What is the best early SS pinball machine and why?

By Dantesmark

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15f4aa1cfbb3c74103795de38ba4b4deb3d0f14b (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago

Best is in the eye of the beholder. If defining "early" as games from 1977-1981, they were advancing every year with better sound, playfield layouts and rule sets. I roamed arcades and played most released during that period. Have owned dozens since. Many had great artwork but were lacking in game play. It isn't fair to compare a 1977 Eight Ball to a 1981 Centaur. That's like comparing a 1980 VW to a Porsche. Both German engineering but night and day different in performance. Dollar wise for the fun factor my pics are:

1) 1977 Eight Ball. Bang for you buck, almost 20K made. Nice examples are under $1200. Great artwork. You'll never lose $$ if you buy right.

2) 1979 Harlem Globetrotters, same as above, cheaper to buy.

3) 1979 Meteor, great player, lots of fun, cheaper to buy.

Money no object choices:

1) Fathom, best of the best, open your wallet wide.

2) Centaur, Owned it sold it. Great game but like owning a vintage MG, lots of stuff can go wrong.

3) Flash Gordon, personal favorite for price vs fun.

4) Embryon, best wide body ever, sorry Paragon ( I own Paragon)

5) Nine Ball, crazy hard rule set but a blast to play. Anyone selling?

6) EBD, very challenging game that still hasn't gotten crazy price wise.

Many more I could list that are great games I love playing.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Next, we can look at pinside's own top 100 (comprised of 1000s of pinhead's detailed rankings). Here are their top machines as of 5/22/2019:

Please, no. Pinball enjoyment is a personal thing. I don't give a crap what someone says about a game till I play it myself. Everyone has different things that bring them back to play it again or walk away. Pinside's ratings (and IPDB) are based someone else's pinball idea of what they enjoy. I like drop targets & fast playing games. That's just me. Some like slow games like Space Invaders which to me is boring as hell. Great looker but a snooze fest player.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tomdrum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-early-ss-pinball-machine-and-why?tu=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.