(Topic ID: 163829)

What is the best $3K Stern pin? (HUO condition)

By rai

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by daddyxxx
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think the best way to describe WoF is that it is like a modern day EM on steroids.

WOF is just too clunky to pick over other games. The flipper set up is awesome, but the top part is a little lame IMO. I think the audio has got to get old quick.

#102 7 years ago

Just purchased a HUO simply stunning example of RBION. Beautiful in every way including zero wear on playfield and by flipper buttons. Paid 3,800 and didn't think twice! Best, Charlie

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

RBION is a great game, but you sort of have to be in the mood to play it, unless the theme really grabs you. It is super easy to have long games on it (thus my- have to be in the mood for it), as there aren't a lot of shots that punish you for missing them.

My RBION is hard as nails and punishes the crap out of me when I miss a shot. Tombstone targets are death too! I'd venture to say that my Ripleys is at close to as dangerous and punishing as my IM.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

My RBION is hard as nails and punishes the crap out of me when I miss a shot. Tombstone targets are death too! I'd venture to say that my Ripleys is at close to as dangerous and punishing as my IM.

Hmmmm...... that is weird. In our league nights, everyone is always waiting on Ripley's to finish as we tend to jam on that thing for quite awhile. I think the lowest score on that game was right around 13 million and it took quite awhile for the four pack to finish.

I agree with the targets, but overall, I dont feel like it cheap drains at all. I have played a few different ones, including one I owned I had setup difficult, and my average game on it was around 20 million.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Hmmmm...... that is weird. In our league nights, everyone is always waiting on Ripley's to finish as we tend to jam on that thing for quite awhile. I think the lowest score on that game was right around 13 million and it took quite awhile for the four pack to finish.
I agree with the targets, but overall, I dont feel like it cheap drains at all. I have played a few different ones, including one I owned I had setup difficult, and my average game on it was around 20 million.

So many factors even between copies of the same machine. Pitch, outlane post settings, sling switch gap, playfield wax or dirt level, scoop kickout angle, type and age of rubbers. One of the absolute best things about pinball is how each individual machine is so unique.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I wouldn't call it cheap drains...just brutal if you miss a shot. If you miss that scoop and hit one of the posts, look out! Tiki head throws the ball pretty dangerously as well.

#107 7 years ago

Seawitch, but hard to find in good condition.

#108 7 years ago

Just scored a nice Dale Earnhardt Jr. For under 3k, might need to switch out the backglass/translite, but love the chrome!

#109 7 years ago

Can get a HUO stern for under 2k.... And it's a great game, a little easy, but great multiball and some cool features..... Stern Playboy!

#111 7 years ago

My post got chopped and I'm not typing it up again. Most of the games named are cheaper for a reason.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Sorry - gotta call BS -> most RBION's are brutal. The one at PAPA in B or C division - 6 million is a good score, 15 million might get you top qualifier. And all they do to it is move the outlane posts up all the way, and make the slings super sensitive - normal flippers (not lightning).

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Sorry - gotta call BS -> most RBION's are brutal. The one at PAPA in B or C division - 6 million is a good score, 15 million might get you top qualifier. And all they do to it is move the outlane posts up all the way, and make the slings super sensitive - normal flippers (not lightning).

Yeah, changing factory settings to PAPA style makes any game brutal. I wouldn't call PAPA the baseline for what makes a game easy.... LOL....

If I PAPA'd WoF, I would remove the outlane posts, remove that center area bewteen the flippers, and then plunge the ball and watch it drain without getting it to hit it.

Out of the box, WoF eats RBION alive on short ball times. I would say WoF eats most modern games alive on short ball times.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Yeah, changing factory settings to PAPA style makes any game brutal. I wouldn't call PAPA the baseline for what makes a game easy.... LOL....

If you close the lanes a bit on RBION it gets significantly easier in a hurry, because the flipper gap is not big at all. WOF can be be a monster.

In a hard set up like we're talking aboot, WOF you're basically playing for skill shots; and the skill shot is harder than shit.

#115 7 years ago

Monopoly and T3

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

If I PAPA'd WoF, I would remove the outlane posts, remove that center area bewteen the flippers, and then plunge the ball and watch it drain without getting it to hit it.
Out of the box, WoF eats RBION alive on short ball times. I would say WoF eats most modern games alive on short ball times.

I would love to see some of the top pros play a PAPAfied WOF as you described! -And to think people complain about the GB flipper gap WOF even in it's stock form is the most brutal DMD game ever produced! I share Ralph Wiggum's experience as I own his old WOF.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I would love to see some of the top pros play a PAPAfied WOF as you described! -And to think people complain about the GB flipper gap WOF even in it's stock form is the most brutal DMD game ever produced! I share Ralph Wiggum's experience as I own his old WOF.

WOF is in group 11 this year. Pretty sure they just streamed the finals last year, but scores may be available at least.

#118 7 years ago

I loved WOF when I actually got a chance to play it. The layout with the flippers and the dual drain lanes to ball save with a "free spin" are brilliant. Think you nailed it exactly when you said it's like what a modern juiced up EM would be like. Just a really fun game, and I actually enjoyed it far more than I have any RBION I've ever played, but I'm already partial to EM's anyways, so nudging and shoving the game around is what I do.

#119 7 years ago

Wof or NASCAR would be my pick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 959.00
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warwick, RI
$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.95
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 12.95
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-3k-stern-pin-huo-condition/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.