(Topic ID: 211132)

What is the best 2 Stern games since the year 2000?

By Who-Dey

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled135 (resized).jpg
supreme (resized).jpg
internet troll (resized).jpg
There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I can't think of any.

internet troll (resized).jpginternet troll (resized).jpg

#53 6 years ago

my only question is.... out of all of the great games mentioned in this post, how did someone manage to sneak in monopoly???

#54 6 years ago

Out of what I’ve played..
TSPP need to get one of these
LOTR

#55 6 years ago

Star Trek
Metallica

#56 6 years ago

Tron
AC/DC

#57 6 years ago

Tron #1
GOT/pre/le Why doesnt this game get more love? Its got so much going for it.

Also I dont get the love for TWD, doesnt make a top 10 for me.

#58 6 years ago

AC/DC and SM

I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but third on my list might be POTC.

#59 6 years ago

no love for WPT?

Here's another vote for MET

#60 6 years ago

Tough to list top 2 as there are probably 5 or 6 really close in the running to be the best. A lot of it depends upon your tastes and what you like/ want out of a pin.
So art package, rule set, shoot-ability, and theme integration all play in.
So that said:
#1 LOTR
#2 IM

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Billman:

no love for WPT?
Here's another vote for MET

I love WPT. Maybe a top 5 game for me, but not quite top 2.

#62 6 years ago

For me it’s SM and MET, followed closely by GOT.

#64 6 years ago

AC/DC
Aerosmith
I love Rock pins!

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

I absolutely agree, glad to see the TWD votes. That might have to make it in my collection.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

I'm a WPT fan too. Definitely in my Top 12. Maybe Top 10.

#67 6 years ago

man I see a lot of ACDC. Been thinking about that one but already have MET....thoughts on why ACDC brings enough to the table?

#68 6 years ago

LOTR LE, SW, ACDC/MET

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

man I see a lot of ACDC. Been thinking about that one but already have MET....thoughts on why ACDC brings enough to the table?

My guess would be each song basically having different rulesets, providing a lot of ways to approach the game.

#70 6 years ago

I am setting aside all the confusing Prem/LE ect. considerations. Certainly open to debate because people just list their favorite games and most people's experience with a game is confined to their pinball circle, myself included.

1st
Metallica just never gets old. I am confident that Metallica is Sterns best design up to this point in the company's history but that could always change. I have around 2500 plays on that game.

2nd
As an overall whole, I would say that LOTR was certainly Sterns best game UP TO THAT POINT in the company's history. The company was on the edge of bankruptcy back then and they really pulled out a gem. After playing it hundreds of times, it begins to become a grind where your hands and arms get tired. Once you can get up to 200 mil on that game, for me it loses it's excitement factor. But, it's still #2, even if you can't stand it.

Reasoning for other games that are not 1 and 2:

I know a lot of other great games have come out in between those two and I have owned and played the hell out of a lot of them, but you really have to wait about 4 years on a title to see if it shakes out as "the best". If you are asking about why, just say to yourself, "I should wait until there are no more major code updates, then wait a couple years for everyone to re-asses, then make an informed decision about "the best". So, roughly speaking ~ 4 years from release date.

GOT: Needs some more time but I'd say it's further up the chart on depth than most people even realize. It's just not an adventure style depth, it's more of a points vs. rule exploitation and recognition depth. In some ways, it reminds me of a choose your own adventure video game where you don't mind playing through it again and again because you can approach it a million different ways.

Tron was great but it's really difficult for a new person in pinball to step up to and experience more than a couple minutes of play. And the depth in that game is just not there and was not meant to be there. It's designed for short ball times and that is just never going to appeal to everyone. Iron man, same things.

Star Trek: Certainly some unique things but it's a very safe inside the box design and the callouts are bad, especially if you are not a fan of the newer movies. It think you have to play this one a lot and once you get close to the billion point range, and you've played through all the modes three times, the game certainly does begin to tire. I personally like this game more than GOT, Tron, and LOTR for different reasons but set those opinions aside when contemplating "the best".

AC/DC: The sound is probably the best done in the history of pinball. However, the risk reward is there but there are other design issues that force great players to only follow a couple different paths in the game. Under utilized lower PF on the Prem and over emphasis on VIPs and other things hold it back.

-Spiderman is great and has not been mentioned. I think it's a great game but suffers from some of the same monotony of LOTR after hundreds of plays.

Regarding TSPP, I have played it 1,000s of times. Thousands, not a typo. It's a good game but after you play it for years, you begin to see it's flaws and that it is an early Stern that has some issues regarding design, overall flow, risk/reward and callouts missing from the female characters in the show.

-WPT is great but certainly has some issues that really only bothered me after playing A LOT of games on it - artwork aside...

If you go strictly by Stern sales #'s I am fairly certain it goes something like:
1. ACDC Prem
2. TSPP
3. POTC

So there is CERTAINLY one person who thinks those are the best Stern machines... his name is Gary Stern.

#72 6 years ago

Star Trek LE
Tron LE

They didn't hold back on these two!

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Best 2 Stern games since the year 2000. My picks are.....
TWD
MET

These are my two picks as well.

#74 6 years ago

LOTR... some people gave 3 or more, so I give one.

#75 6 years ago

LOTR, GOT, TRON

#77 6 years ago

LOTR, ST Premium, Sopranos

Too close to pick just two...

#78 6 years ago

Clearly not enough people have spent enough time on IM.

#1 IM
#2 Tie between STLE, MET & Tron.

And I owned a LOTR for eight years. Great game...but the ball times killed it.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffsarcade:

These are my two picks as well.

for me, TWD gets the #1 spot by a mile. It is so good. Then MET and after that there is a bunch of solid games lumped together. LOTR, ST, Tron, ACDC, GB, TSPP.

#80 6 years ago

TSPP
TWD

Going strong to the top is BM66

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

Tough to list top 2 as there are probably 5 or 6 really close in the running to be the best. A lot of it depends upon your tastes and what you like/ want out of a pin.
So art package, rule set, shoot-ability, and theme integration all play in.
So that said:
#1 LOTR
#2 IM

Yep, i made it the top 2 because i wanted people to have to really think hard about their answers. Its easy to list Sterns top 5, but its not essy to list their top 2 games. It definitely requires some thought and people will usually have to make a choice and leave one or two games behind that they like alot.

#82 6 years ago

#lord-of-the-rings
#game-of-thrones-le

Havent played enough #star-wars-stern-le or #ac-dc-(le) or #metallica-le

#83 6 years ago

If I had to narrow it down to 2, I guess I would go with TWD and ACDC.

#84 6 years ago

Metallica - Best dots on a Stern game ever, cool 'original' theme and toys (meaning feels the least like a license), hand drawn art, great rules, lots of ways to play. Really complete package that doesn't have any glaring flaws. I have the LE, the mirrored backglass makes me happy.

Tron - Best simple 'one more game', best integration of music and theme, just feels good to play, and with the fiber optics (LE or aftermarket) and sound and atmosphere it just transports me into the right mood. Bonus for having the arcade cab mod, it might not be stock, but it's one of the coolest add-ons for any game.

Games like LOTR and TSPP are very cool, but at the end of the day I'm not a Keith ruleset person, I just don't like the super long quest style games. Amazingly done, but too involved. I don't want to have to feel like I need a really long game to get somewhere. So not for me. I just sold my ACDC, don't miss it. Metallica and Tron would be a lot harder to get rid of.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

They are nothing alike other then both games play songs from a band. Both are killer games. I always feel more score and jackpot driven when playing ACDC while on Met I'm trying to advance through the multiballs to get to crank it up.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I always feel more score and jackpot driven when playing ACDC while on Met I'm trying to advance through the multiballs to get to crank it up.

Perfect explanation. Two completely different games.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Best 2 Stern games since the year 2000. My picks are.....
TWD
MET

+1

#90 6 years ago

TWD........MET.........

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickedbass:

GOT/pre/le Why doesnt this game get more love?

There just isn’t that many of them.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There just isn’t that many of them.

it just is not liked very much/ is not a very good game.

It does not do well on route, has linear competitive strategy, and has some supremely stupid light show gimmicks that detract from the game play itself.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It does not do well on route, has linear competitive strategy, and has some supremely stupid light show gimmicks that detract from the game play itself.

I like it a lot. It's also one of the least linear games made, during tourny's people just play it safe. The light show is awesome, maybe to much for others but I think it's killer.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Huh? GOT isnt that good, are you kidding me?

It may not be a top 2 game, but its still pure greatness no matter what!

#96 6 years ago

1. LotR
2. TSPP or MetLE (depending on how much you value variety)

but really...

1. Jaws
2. Iron Maiden

I'm certain of it

#97 6 years ago

1)Twd
2)Lotr
3)AC/DC
4)Met
5)Tron

#98 6 years ago

GoT is great. I get how you can be less than excited by just going for Martell every time, but the shots are great and it's pretty dang fun cranking up that multiplier during a good mode/multiball stack. I don't know that I would put it in the top tier of Stern games, but it's a lot of fun.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Huh? GOT isnt that good, are you kidding me?
It may not be a top 2 game, but its still pure greatness no matter what!

What day you about Aerosmith and Ghostbusters?

#100 6 years ago

TSPP
Metallica
LOTR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 25.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-2-stern-games-since-the-year-2000/page/2?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.