(Topic ID: 220234)

What is the actual weight of all pinball machines?

By Ockeyhead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img20180630_14474514 (resized).jpg
    fly-hawaii-1 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

After having 50+ machines rotate in & out of my three pin lineup, I was very curious to know the actual weight of these machines. It seems as if the Stern Spike Systems are a meager 50 lbs., in comparison to the tank-like weight of a 500 pound JJP. Of coarse, I am just exaggerating to make a point ~ but not by much. There is also an obvious difference in the comparison to a Williams vs. Data East. Pound for pound, what is the actual weight of all Sterns, Gottlieb system 80's, Spooky, all Bally/Williams including system 11's, Sega's, Capcom & EM's, etc.? >>>"In this corner, weighing ???? pounds is the heavy weight champ ~ JJP!!! & in this corner, coming in at a paltry 31 pounds is ~ Mr. Zizzles!!!

#2 5 years ago

More or less most standard width games are 250 lbs. my bsd manual says 285 in the box.

#3 5 years ago

I'm going to estimate there are 3.5 million pinball machines in the world, and at 250 pounds each average, that would be 875000000 pounds of pinball machine in the world.

#4 5 years ago

Just imagine the weight if they were all sttng! The earth would collapse in on itself in a black hole!

#5 5 years ago

Exactly! A buddy of mine has a STTNG & it's a wide-body beast! Obviously the Williams WPC machines tip the scales of fine quality, as w/ TZ & STTNG one could add another 50 or so pounds to the actual weight. Possibly 325 lbs. ???

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

I'm going to estimate there are 3.5 million pinball machines in the world, and at 250 pounds each average, that would be 875000000 pounds of pinball machine in the world.

Did you factor in Bingos?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Did you factor in Bingos?

The heaviest Bally bingo was Hawaii weighing in at 443 lbs.

fly-hawaii-1 (resized).jpgfly-hawaii-1 (resized).jpg
    #8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ockeyhead:what is the actual weight of all Sterns, Gottlieb system 80's, Spooky, all Bally/Williams including system 11's, Sega's, Capcom & EM's, etc.

It depends on the title and era. Early solid state are fairly light.

Alphanumeric & DMD games are usually 300+

Modern games vary, depending on how packed they are. Last I heard, woz was the heaviest, although POTC looks pretty packed too.

#9 5 years ago

Pin2000s hurt my back

#10 5 years ago

I think I heard that Hobbit was like 400lbs but I could be wrong it just feels that way when I had to get it into my basement!

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Pin2000s hurt my back

This !!!

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Pin2000s hurt my back

Yeah RFM is like 265-270Kgs must be one of the heaviest later pins, it seemed heavier than STTNG also and that thing is a lard butt

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from DrWaz:

I think I heard that Hobbit was like 400lbs but I could be wrong it just feels that way when I had to get it into my basement!

350 pounds.

LTG : )

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

The heaviest Bally bingo was Hawaii weighing in at 443 lbs.

You can Bank on Bally

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You can Bank on Bally

img20180630_14474514 (resized).jpgimg20180630_14474514 (resized).jpg
    #16 5 years ago

The Stern Spike Systems are a breeze to move compared to anything else. Did Stern literally thin out the cabinets, or did they simply change the type of wood used? With a miniature CPU behind the backglass & several "micro" driver boards underneath, you could minus a few extra pounds.
    Also, RFM's was mentioned as being a machine that tips the scales. Slugfest was another bulky monster that had a similar cabinet design in comparison to RFM's. My wife & I picked up a Slugfest last year & I assured her that it wouldn't be too heavy. Boy was I wrong & I heard about it on the way home. After that, I really-really try to keep her out of moving these machines. I prefer peace in my life!

#17 5 years ago

Iron Maiden in box 269lbs

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeewiz13:

Iron Maiden in box 269lbs

I dont believe it... impro was the lightest and easiest pin ive ever moved.....

#19 5 years ago

Fireball home edition was damn light

#20 5 years ago

If I never have to move an STTNG again I'll die a happy man. The Stargate I used to have was also very heavy for some reason.

#21 5 years ago

TZ ain't light, either. Never want to move that up a set of stairs again...

#22 5 years ago

With Iron Maiden & all related spike systems, I'm convinced that the box weighs more than the actual machine itself ~ ha-ha!

#23 5 years ago

Also, those Gottlieb 80b's are solid & built like a brick potty house. I've read several incidences where Pinsiders had dropped their 80b's during transport & there was absolutely no damage whatsoever.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Also, RFM's was mentioned as being a machine that tips the scales.

I just brought one to pintastic, and it sure is a beast. It's unwieldy mostly because of how heavy and large the backbox is by itself. I can barely handle it on my own. The body cab isn't any worse than most other games.

#25 5 years ago

JJP Hobbit took 3 guys to move. All the JJP machines are VERY heavy.

#26 5 years ago

What is the actual weight of the quadruple lineup of an individual JJP? Can anyone verify this?

#27 5 years ago

All i know is pinball 2000s are fucking heavy haha

#28 5 years ago

DI is the heaviest thing I have ever carried around in my life. I had to disassemble it to maneuver it down my stairs. (mind you, ,I was alone..). I thought it was 350lbs, but if Hobbit is 350 - this game is easily 50 pounds heavier. Oy.

#29 5 years ago

Spike has no transformer, no light fixture/ballast, metal portions of the backbox, much less wiring harness, simpler lock down mech, slide rails, and other things that make them nice and light (relatively)
    It's like a racecar, lean and mean!

#30 5 years ago

A few of the later and more complex EMs can probably push towards the upper 200’s but as mentioned prior.... the bingo category rules. I just picked up a 1950 Bally Turf King and had to add to this thread. There is no way that was coming off a trailer with the head off, without three people. We were thinking about it and almost tried but saner heads prevailed and we added a third. Those damn machines are made like a brick. I don’t even know if my nudging skills will transfer- I think the force required to nudge that game would tilt anything but for another similar game.

Bally build a few with cow like weights.

#31 5 years ago

Had to move my 1976 Gottlieb Surf Champ the other day and I think it has, like me, gained weight over the 10 years I"ve owned it.

Damn - those 4-player EM backboxes are heavy!

#32 5 years ago

I have a converted 2500 in 1 Street Fighter 2 machine that I believe is pushing 250 lbs. This machine is relatively easy to maneuver w/ a slow steady pace & a hand truck. Then I acquired a project Golden Tee cocktail machine that I converted into a GT complete. This unit is solid oak & easily tips the scale at 300+. The GT has a low profile & is extremely heavy. If events continue to escalate w/ N. Korea, we could simply drop this machine on that dysfunctional country & game over!

#33 5 years ago

Is everyone moving their pin2k’s with the heads on? My sttng by far the heaviest I’ve had. It had to be 350lbs

#34 5 years ago

Dialed In has to be 400lbs at least, 200 of it in the head.

#35 5 years ago

Haunted house was killer for me. The head was light though.

1 year later
    #36 3 years ago

Anyone know what a cocktail pin shipping weight on a pallet? Like a Night Moves or Caribbean Cruise...

#37 3 years ago

I wonder what Hercules weighed! That giant Pin!

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mafia_Metals:

I wonder what Hercules weighed! That giant Pin!

275 pounds. Big. Not heaviest.

LTG : )

#39 3 years ago

MBr OM says 325 lbs (approx) in crate

WOZ RR 395 lbs on their site

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

If I never have to move an STTNG again I'll die a happy man. The Stargate I used to have was also very heavy for some reason.

Stargate is a "healthy" 289 pounds.

2 weeks later
    #41 3 years ago

Moved my TNA from my house to my son's house. Seemed to be quite a bit heavier than some of my other modern pins.

Anybody have an actual weight for TNA ?

#42 3 years ago

I find they get heaver as time goes on.

#43 3 years ago

I haved moved TZ and WOZ and Haunted House felt heavier. Huge widebody with 3 large playfields and a shitload of coils.

#44 3 years ago

Just sold a Golden Tee Complete Cocktail Machine that was solid oak. Though the cocktail profile is smaller, it still was approaching 300lbs. The newer Stern Spike Systems seem to weigh half that? Stern fully understands that less is better & of coarse ~ cheaper.

#45 3 years ago

In progress unloading a storage unit into a future public arcade/workshop space. Moved a few EMs, heads and cabs separate. Easy enough. Moved a couple System 11s. Ugh, not fun in comparison.

And then I moved my Special Force, Bally 6803 with solid particle board cabinet.

Gaaaaah.

When it comes due to shop that game out, first order of business is to build a completely new cabinet out of sensible materials, and sell the old one to a masochist in search of an original. Not moving that one again.

Anybody know how much the 6803's weigh?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-actual-weight-of-all-pinball-machines?hl=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.