(Topic ID: 228018)

What is slowing you down from filling up your game room with pins?

By bobwiley

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 64 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rondogg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is slowing you down from filling up your gameroom with pins?”

• Lack of funds to buy games 55 votes
      32%
    • The games you want you can't find for sale in your area 19 votes
      11%
    • There aren't any games out that you currently want 14 votes
      8%
    • You don't have time to hunt down and get a game 0 votes
    • You can't justify paying current prices for most games you want 52 votes
      31%
    • Other (please explain in comments) 30 votes
      18%

(170 votes)

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Curious on how close people are to being "at capacity" for the number of games they want/can have in their house and what is preventing people from filling up their space sooner rather than later. The poll only allows one answer, so pick the one that is most prevalent for you.

#2 5 years ago

For me it’s a wife that doesn’t like the fact at how expensive pinballs are. Also just put a screened in porch on the house.

#3 5 years ago

Need to be able to choose more than one option. I'm semi-retired and have to be much more careful with my funds but, even worse is the rising prices of pins. I can't think (for myself) of any justification that moves me to purchase.

#4 5 years ago

So for you guys, what would be a reasonable price ceiling you, or your significant other, would be okay with?

I'd like to do multiple answers, but then we can't see the ranking of the priority for the reasoning. i.e. Is high price the bigger factor in not getting more pins or is it they aren't in your area

#5 5 years ago

I was actually over booked in my game room up until a few months ago. It hurt a bit, but sold off some lower priced games to build funds and make space for higher tiers. Once ya hit capacity, and still have the bug it forces your hand. I’ll be shuffling out a couple more in the near future 1 of which I’ll miss dearly.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I was actually over booked in my game room up until a few months ago. It hurt a bit, but sold off some lower priced games to build funds and make space for higher tiers.

How long did it take you to hit capacity? Do you feel you had enough play time in with the games you are selling at least?

#7 5 years ago

For me it’s Stock Market concerns. The economy has been fueled by debt and low interest rates and I don’t think it can last. I believe the market will see a 20% correction within the next 2 years. When that happens, people will see their wealth plummet. Layer in layoffs across all sectors and everyone will be worrying about their jobs........even if their job is safe.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

I was actually over booked in my game room up until a few months ago. It hurt a bit, but sold off some lower priced games to build funds and make space for higher tiers. Once ya hit capacity, and still have the bug it forces your hand. I’ll be shuffling out a couple more in the near future 1 of which I’ll miss dearly.

this!!!! I am out of space. I have 17 titles, but really only have room for 15 comfortably. I plan to sell a few in the very near future. And then just have to live with 15 (I know, poor me, right?)

#9 5 years ago

The only game I sold I didn’t play was Pinbot. I put so much work into that thing, it’s like I didn’t want to even look at it anymore! Lol. Took me, 9 years to somehow exceed my max capacity by 1 game. I’ve been at a rate of 1.25 games per year until this year.. That rate is going to slow down as I took a different job to spend more time with the family. That said, I’ll likely have to check the funds category in a year or so

#10 5 years ago

I have 17 games and room for at least 30 more but I'm feeling near capacity because more games equal more things to fix and I dont have the time to keep much more than I have running.

#11 5 years ago

Collecting pins is fun and can be a good investment. We were up to 7 at one point, but ended up selling off all but 3. With 7, time is split and now that we have only 3 we can focus on actually beating them! Just depends how much time you want to spend restoring, maintaining, buying, selling vs actually playing and enjoying each to the fullest. 3 is perfect for us and allows space in the game room for the new bubble hockey game!

#12 5 years ago

It is full...too full. In fact, some pins are out on location.

#13 5 years ago

When I have money, I can't find any of the pins I want. When I don't have money, they're everywhere.

#14 5 years ago

Lack of scratch or I'd fill my basement full of pins.

#15 5 years ago

I'm full, sold my house 7 months ago to get a bigger basement. Went from 13 pins to 50 in 6 months. All projects that need work.

#16 5 years ago

Ive been full for years.... i have to sell one to get another....

#17 5 years ago

Had 7, recently sold 4 and bought 3. Anxious to fill the remaining spot but nothing is grabbing me. Was considering Deadpool Pro and then Oktoberfest but decided to pass on both. Waiting to see Munsters and still contemplating MBR. I’m not willing to settle for an OK NIB pin at current price points.

#18 5 years ago

Well, several things come to mind. First, I have a happy space in the basement for pins and it's filled with 9 pins. 9 is really one more than I logically should have but I crammed in SW. The 9 that I have I play them all regularly and can't see selling any of them. I'm very happy with what I have.

I could add more but feel it's kind of excessive, it would also infringe on the space the grandkids use to play.

#19 5 years ago

I have 2 more than I have room for already! The magic number is whatever you have +1.

#20 5 years ago

Cash, mostly, and space.

#21 5 years ago

space

#22 5 years ago

1. Time to play. 2 is more than enough right now.

#23 5 years ago

Not having a game room is a big factor.
    I have 3 pins in the living room, and i think my wife is too fond of our dinertable ,coutch etc.

#24 5 years ago

Generally speakiing, all pinheads are either out of space or out of money at any given time. When you have money, you have no space. When you space you have no money.

Ultimately, I feel like I'm never going to buy another game. I don't have space at this point but even if I did, I really don't like where prices are today. I got started in the hobby about 13 or 14 years ago and at the time, the prices seemed a bit crazy to me as a newbie. Now I look back on those days and wonder why I didn't buy everything in sight!

For me, I feel like if I sell certain games, like my Lord of the Rings that I sold a few years back, I'll never own it again as I won't pay what they go for today. I bought my LOTR for $2900 (at the time I thought I was crazy spending that much on a game) and when I sold it I thought, "I'll never own this title again". Given today's prices for that title, I will never own that game again.

So, I plan to stay with the games I have until something changes.

#25 5 years ago

This:

Money, get away
    Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
    Money, it's a gas
    Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
    New car, caviar, four star daydream
    Think I'll buy me a football team
    Money, get back
    I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
    Money, it's a hit
    Don't give me that do goody good bullshit
    I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
    And I think I need a Lear jet
    Money, it's a crime
    Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie
    Money, so they say
    Is the root of all evil today
    But if you ask for a raise it's no surprise that they're
    Giving none away, away, away

Songwriters: Roger Waters

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Well, several things come to mind. First, I have a happy space in the basement for pins and it's filled with 9 pins. 9 is really one more than I logically should have but I crammed in SW. The 9 that I have I play them all regularly and can't see selling any of them. I'm very happy with what I have.
    I could add more but feel it's kind of excessive, it would also infringe on the space the grandkids use to play.

LOL. I have to laugh at the '9 being excessive' remark There was a time when 1 was 'oh thats neat', and anything more would have been considered excessive. It's funny because I started buying pins before I had room for them. I had one in my living room, one in my kitchen, and one in my father in laws garage. When we bought a new house I made sure to buy one that would house quite a few, but I've never went over 6 because it seemed excessive. Now..I've got the bug again and want 2-3 more but the prices scare me off. I have the space, I have the money, and I actually enjoy working on them. Now just have to wait out the price gouging.

#27 5 years ago

Many reasons.
    1. Waiting to see if Kingpin happens.
    2. Full room (17 pins), will need to sell some.
    3. I'm more choosy about new ones with current prices.
    4. Work is hopping busy this time of year.
    5. Most pins are more than 3 hours one way to get so if a seller won't wait till Saturday it won't happen. This happens frequently.

#28 5 years ago

Beyond full sadly.

#29 5 years ago

We really need options "Already full" and "Beyond full". Those are way more typical for pinsiders than having open space: you're going to get a lot of "other" votes...

Put me down for beyond capacity as well...

#30 5 years ago

The room is full.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

For me it’s Stock Market concerns. The economy has been fueled by debt and low interest rates and I don’t think it can last. I believe the market will see a 20% correction within the next 2 years. When that happens, people will see their wealth plummet. Layer in layoffs across all sectors and everyone will be worrying about their jobs........even if their job is safe.

20%? We have already had 9% as of today. I expect about 35 to 50% correction within 2 years and it may be by early next year.

The DOW around 17,500 would be 35%, It has already fallen from 26,935 to 24,650. The 52 week low is 23,242.

#32 5 years ago

Well I am full, but I expect the US to be in deep deep trouble in the next 2 years, whether it’s the stock market or people screwing themselves by voting their hate. I live in DC so it’s pretty concentrated here, But I think it may spell the end of the US as the last superpower. I’m planning on selling things off pretty soon.

#33 5 years ago

MY WIFE

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from bobwiley:

So for you guys, what would be a reasonable price ceiling you, or your significant other, would be okay with?

My wife thinks everything is expensive haha. She’s also not into pinball so she doesn’t see the need for me to have more. She already feels I have to many. I won’t argue with her that they are expensive because they can be. I have space and realistically only want a few more. I need to get out and play some of the newer pins. We have the money for some more but she likes being financially responsible and what not haha.

#35 5 years ago

Just because I have space doesn't mean I need to fill it all up. Quality/fun over quantity.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

Not having a game room is a big factor.
    I have 3 pins in the living room, and i think my wife is too fond of our dinertable ,coutch etc.

You stole my answer I only have one in the living room,and two would be too many. I'm also a casual hobbyist,so I can't see myself paying 6,000 for a used game,when I can get a NIB for about the same amount of money,give or take.
    I don't have the room to be a collector,and I hope I never catch that bug,or I'll have to move to another house.A pinsider here gave me some good advice "Join the Pinball Gallery in Malvern PA. for 250.00 a year,play a ton of different games,and let the owner worry about doing the repairs".
    P.S
    I hope I don't get stoned to death, for saying I'm a casual hobbyist.

#37 5 years ago

I have too many already. I’ll play them a while and move on to some new ones.

Currently, JJP and Stern Prem / LEs are higher than I’m willing to pay.

It’s a great time to be in the hobby!

#38 5 years ago

I have LOTS of room at my work shop if anyone in the Houston surrounding area needs room to "store" their pins.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

You stole my answer I only have one in the living room,and two would be too many. I'm also a casual hobbyist,so I can't see myself paying 6,000 for a used game,when I can get a NIB for about the same amount of money,give or take.
    I don't have the room to be a collector,and I hope I never catch that bug,or I'll have to move to another house.A pinsider here gave me some good advice "Join the Pinball Gallery in Malvern PA. for 250.00 a year,play a ton of different games,and let the owner worry about doing the repairs".
    P.S
    I hope I don't get stoned to death, for saying I'm a casual hobbyist.

You will step over to the dark side! Just a matter of time....
    One is never enough!

#40 5 years ago

NEED ROOM!!!!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well I am full, but I expect the US to be in deep deep trouble in the next 2 years, whether it’s the stock market or people screwing themselves by voting their hate. I live in DC so it’s pretty concentrated here, But I think it may spell the end of the US as the last superpower. I’m planning on selling things off pretty soon.

Pretty dark outlook...but just another reason to keep and enjoy your machines.

#42 5 years ago

I'm at full capacity and also out of outlets at home, mainly due to upright arcade games. The overflow pins are stored and played at the office and shop.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Pretty dark outlook...but just another reason to keep and enjoy your machines.

Believe me, I’m not feeling good about it. Let’s hope I am way wrong!

#44 5 years ago

over capacity by 2 right now unless i get rid of a couple arcade games

#45 5 years ago

Same as monte_ in post 33... MY WIFE!

#46 5 years ago

Space. The final frontier.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skidave:

Same as monte_ in post 33... MY WIFE!

AKA the handbrake

#48 5 years ago

No room until addition completed

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from YZRider926:

My wife thinks everything is expensive haha. She’s also not into pinball so she doesn’t see the need for me to have more. She already feels I have to many. I won’t argue with her that they are expensive because they can be. I have space and realistically only want a few more. I need to get out and play some of the newer pins. We have the money for some more but she likes being financially responsible and what not haha.

yes and remember - happy wife - happy life!!! My girlfriend thinks I am off the deep end already with what I have and it's nothing compared to most on here. I need to buy a bunch in the next 6 month before I say "I do" and then she says "No you don't" lol

#50 5 years ago

Two kids in college + 15 yo coming up...10-12 hr work days...business bldg built in the 40s = money pit...bought a motorcycle and rode it twice...no complaining...it's just where I'm at right now

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-slowing-you-down-from-filling-up-your-game-room-with-pins?hl=mark66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.