(Topic ID: 311792)

What is Pat Lawlor's Top Pinball machine?

By Hammerhead

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by easye9901
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Pat Lawlor's Top Pinball Machine”

• Banzai Run 1988 4 votes
    1%
  • Earthshaker 1989 3 votes
    1%
  • Whirlwind 1990 39 votes
    8%
  • Funhouse 1991 37 votes
    7%
  • The Addam's Family 1992 85 votes
    17%
  • Twilight Zone 1993 172 votes
    34%
  • Road Show 1994 13 votes
    3%
  • Safe Cracker 1996 6 votes
    1%
  • No Good Gofers 1997 13 votes
    3%
  • Monopoly 2001 2 votes
  • Roller Coaster Tycoon 2001 2 votes
  • Ripley's Believe It Or Not! 2004 12 votes
    2%
  • Grand Prix/NASCAR 2005 5 votes
    1%
  • Family Guy/Shrek 2007 8 votes
    2%
  • CSI 2008 3 votes
    1%
  • Dialed In! 2017 54 votes
    11%
  • Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory 2019 50 votes
    10%

(508 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Poll Results vs. Pinside Ratings (resized).png
6 pins Feb2021 (resized).jpg
6 pins Mar2020 (resized).jpg
44D003EF-03CA-42B5-B13E-773CDAFAA526 (resized).jpeg
PL Rating Sorted (resized).png
PL Rating Chart (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#45 2 years ago

Family Guy.

End thread.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

You seem to have a soft spot for Family Guy. I wonder why. lol

Bias aside, I think it’s Lawlor’s best Stern, one of Stern’s most B/W “feeling” games, and it has great code/rules, great Thiel sound, and tons of custom callouts.

I honestly love most of Lawlor’s games…except TZ lol.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I get that, but FG is almost 100 spots higher than Shrek. Theme is definitely a deciding factor but you can't attribute that much of a spread just because the theme speaks to you more.

Three reasons, I think.

1. FGY is “the original”…Shrek is “the copy”. People might just rate FGY & ignore Shrek because it’s the same.

2. There were more FGY’s made, so more owners & location players were exposed to it.

3. Theme. Pinsiders prob just like FGY more than Shrek in general.

Shrek does have its own rave coming up, though lol

44D003EF-03CA-42B5-B13E-773CDAFAA526 (resized).jpeg44D003EF-03CA-42B5-B13E-773CDAFAA526 (resized).jpeg
#60 2 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

NGG would be there with better (working) rules

I consider myself someone that understands rules pretty well, especially 90s games. I’ve had NGG for a really long time & never noticed anything not working. l guess there’s some points exploit that tournament players don’t like…but for normal people, it has really fun rules & functions as expected. Lyman hated it, though - he told me it was a toxic asset

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

One of my favorite Lyman memories involves NGG. A friend and I were playing it at Rick Schieve's party. Lyman seemed bemused/annoyed that we were enjoying such a crap game. It's been far too long to recall the exact conversation, but it was something like, "how can you guys stand to play that thing with all the bugs?" I was like "what bugs?" He said that for later multiballs a gopher can get stuck in the up position, blocking the lock for the rest of the game. I just kinda shrugged like, never happened to me.
Lyman waited for us to finish and was like, "here, let me show you." He fired up a game and blasted through to the bug without missing a shot. After bashing the stubborn gopher several times, he said something like, "see? game sucks," let the ball drain and walked away. It was way more good-natured than I'm making it sound, we all had a laugh.

Haha...yeah, he just hated that game. He even hated the "clanky" noises that the Gophers always make as the pop up, jiggle, and pop down.

I like colorful games with personality, and Gofers definitely has that. I love the music...one of the best and most varied soundtracks of a 90's game. The main tune is like Danny Elfman/Weird Al accordion music, then there's Dance Party techno, the Chicken Dance, and some Satriani-level guitar rock. Plus it shoots fast and flowy, the slam ramp is super fun...it just all around puts me in a good mood to play it.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Despite all that, the flow and atmosphere have made it a keeper for us. The post SJ metal music is awesome.

That’s why I love it. It’s fun, has great music & tons of personality. I’ve never noticed any of those bugs, so yay for me on that front, too!

How come NGG never got a “Home Rom” with the bugs fixed?

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

I'm guessing it was ignored early because it was a bad seller. They were being sold on closeout for $1800-$2200 for years. I remember them still being listed on ebay nib for under $2500 in the early 2000s.

So was CV, but that got a Home ROM....but, I guess that was due to Cameron Silver wanting to do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bellefonte, PA
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-pat-lawlor-s-top-pinball-machines-?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.