You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-901.jpg
image.jpg
bonusunit.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So I'm working on my first (EarthShaker) and I'm rebuilding the flippers. I've pulled them from the machine and stripped down completely. I'm cleaning the Flipper base (using alcohol because it looks like aside from grease and grime, there is ear wax on it (is this a Shrek?)).
Anyway, I'm getting a haze on the plate and I'm thinking as long as I'm polishing things with Mothers, I may as well polish these items. That will only be seen when doing maintenance, that doesn't really matter. Really, am I going to do this? Then I think, crazy as it sounds, do I need to be concerned about creating a fire hazard by waxing those? Is the wax left behind a fire hazard in an area where there will most likely be sparks.

So two questions.
1) Fire hazard, yes or no?
2) What is the most detail oriented thing you did on a restore (that most likely no one will ever see) in going beyond just getting the dirt out?

#2 9 years ago

No hazard.

High end restorers clean and tumble/polish EVERYTHING. Including harnesses.

You have a ways to go before you're over the top. Keep going!

#3 9 years ago

To each his own, but I think polishing leg mounting brackets is pretty silly!

#4 9 years ago

Use simple green as a general cleaner. Goo Gone or Naptha works for removing sticky residue from tape or stickers. Don't use alcohol--it leaves behind residue.

Wax is not a fire hazard. It's nonreactive, so long as you use true carnauba paste wax (such as blitz), and not spray wax with petroleum in it.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

To each his own, but I think polishing leg mounting brackets is pretty silly!

I'll wipe the leg brackets down and clean the screw holes, but won't bother to polish since they're a pain to remove and you won't really see them anyway.

I pretty much completely disassemble everything else for cleaning, de-rusting, and polishing, though.

However, some people don't go to nearly that extreme and just do a wipe down and fix anything that's broken.

#6 9 years ago

When you start chroming the leg mounting brackets, or the power box, you've gone too far.

#7 9 years ago

What is the most detail oriented thing you did to restore (that most likely no one will ever see) in going beyond just getting the dirt out?

Cleaning the underside of the playfield and related parts as thoroughly as the top side. I do this as part of a full restoration.

#8 9 years ago

I've been struggling with a similar question on my playfield restoration. The answer is different for everyone. For me I certainly clean everything mechanical but I wouldn't bother polishing unseen mechanicals unless it's a real collectors' piece.

I've had great results using Purple Power degreaser lately. I disassemble units and soak the pieces for an hour or so and the earwax comes right off.

bonusunit.jpgbonusunit.jpg

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

When you start chroming the leg mounting brackets, or the power box, you've gone too far.

These too

image.jpgimage.jpg image-901.jpgimage-901.jpg
#10 9 years ago

i'm little crazy, so to me it's down to every little details.
if you dismantle everything with cut corners? you are there, do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-over-the-top-in-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.