Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,174 posts
  • 859 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by bwalter
  • Topic is favorited by 532 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theclownpuncher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1525 2 years ago
    Quoted from tacreno:

I am also on the list with cointaker since day 1 and not surprised the line is that long. Its too bad they cant fill the orders they have as many of these folks certainly are not going to wait till 2024 and will bail.
    Also Stern is really missing out on the opportunity to cash in here. It would seem the demand for games is at an all time high and they are messing it up.
    I do know for me personally, if this keeps up my money will probably be better spent somewhere else.

I get the $1 deposit (and even the no deposit distributors) but I really think it skews Stern's backlog numbers. It makes me wonder if Stern realizes that there is a potential for the bottom to fall out if they filled every "order" from every distributor. I'm not saying they are purposely slowing production but they may be purposely limiting each run to ensure there are enough "true orders". If they had all the parts, manpower, and manufacturing capacity to make every "order" currently backlogged there is certainly a potential to have a big pile sitting around for a bit.

Regardless, I do miss the days of being able to crank out 7k games in a 3-4 month period then move on to the next title. Not saying Stern needs to get to that number (I don't think there is that much demand) but it would be nice if they did enough of a run to have enough extras at distributors until their next "cornerstone" starts cranking out vice shutting down high demand games for a new title.

#1628 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Stern indeed is leaving a lot of money on the table to flippers. I know Stern doesnt want to get involve with the sales and leave that to distro but flipping a pin you bought at $10000 for $15000 to $20000 within a few days or weeks is a lot of money stern could get instead of these leeches.
    Maybe they could see the potential with a sale department. More money for them and we might pay more but I prefer encouraging Stern and their product development than flippers leeches.
    At least that's the way I see it. These distros lists who doesnt mean anything without knowing exactly how many they'll get is also a big turnoff.

The easiest, and really only, way to deal with flippers is to meet production demand. Make enough machines and dudes won't be able to flip them because people will just go to a distro and buy it for MSRP.

But, when it comes to limited releases, you are always going to have them.

#1631 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Another way is for Stern to actually price their product to keep supply and demand in balance.
    Extreme example: If they’d simply raise their GZ Premium to $20000, there would likely be no shortage nor flippers.
    Why don’t they raise their MSRP if they can’t satisfy the current demand? I really do not understand this.

As Mileesa said, permanent alienation is why they don't just jack up the prices to sky high levels. I know several firearms collectors and during the 2012 panic lots of gun stores jacked up the prices to astronomical rates, essentially price gouging. Every gun store I know of that did that are no longer in business, no one ever came back. The ones still around learned their lesson and these past couple of years instead of jacking up prices, they just limited purchases.

New car manufacturers understand this as well, that's why Ford and others have threatened to stop shipping to dealers who add on insane "market charges" to MSRP. It's bad for the brand. I know I went to buy a Jeep recently, there were 30 on the lot. I offered MSRP (because that's a sign of the times) and I got laughed at. I ordered a Bronco for MSRP instead, I'll wait 6 weeks and I'll never set foot in another Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer again.

This drought of machines won't last. Either supply will catch up with demand (either by Stern or others entering a "hot" market) or demand will drop because people have lost interest or can no longer afford them. Picking up production to meet demand is how Stern and others can stop the madness, not by pricing everyone out of the market and, by proxy, pissing them all off to the point of no return.

#1752 2 years ago
    Quoted from beltking:

Received my avengers today. Stern has the outlines closed to closest position. That’s a first I think. Looks in good condition so far.
    [quoted image]

The outlanes will still swallow more balls than Linda Lovelace.

1 week later
    #1891 2 years ago
    Quoted from tedwasright:

I agree. I'm not going through this again. It's not the wait. It's all the fishy shit that seems to be going on. Since there's no information anything can be Galeon behind the scenes. I'm not going to buy another NIB Stern again.

I agree with all the fishy shit, I'm sure there are growing lists of distributors that aren't operating above board. I hope Stern cracks down on them and yanks their agreements. But, and I'm not a distributor nor do I represent one, it has to be difficult for them when there are numerous "buyers" out there who are on every distributors list waiting for whichever delivers first.

Seems to me it would be very difficult to provide even a ballpark estimate for people given the unknown of who will actually take it. And, conversely, it makes it difficult for all the forum Columbo's to figure out when they may get their game given no one knows how many people the distributor went through before he delivered so and so's game.

#1898 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

More like the fact they are just coming off production and there isn't a huge line of buyers like Godzilla and some other past titles. To me, I think it's more accurate to say "aren't rabidly desired RIGHT THIS MOMENT". You can go down a long list of "undesirable Sterns" that during production stalled a little in popularity, but once production has stopped and the NIB's dried up.... they'll be back up again. And it's funny to think that a games success or popularity can be based on whether someone can make money on the game or not as opposed to it being worth a little less once it's opened. If you think Mando is a bad game just wait, in 2 years when production is long past and code is polished it will probably be ridiculously priced just like all of the other OOP Stern games.

I agree with this. Munsters sat and collected dust for months, not you can hardly find one.

I wish they'd update the AIQ code with some better animation and a few other adjustments (random soul gem first shot for example). Every time I get an alert e mail it's for another game update. =(

#1903 2 years ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

I believe something like it happened with IM,
    where orders will cancelled.
    More veteran pinsiders will know more.
    I have only heard secondhand

I'd bet it will happen with Elvira as well. Seems like with the production problems/difficulties it has anyways, not to mention parts difficulties, I doubt they will be able to satisfy demand for that one.

#1947 2 years ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Looks like AIQ is finished or finishing on the line next couple days. So Rush is primarily on the line. Pros start shipping this week. If you get notice of your Pro or Premium, share with everyone. I'm currently waiting on my AIQ which is set to arrive any minute today.
    Apr 2022 - Rush Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Deadpool Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    June 2022 - Mando Premium
    June 2022 - Rush Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - JP Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    Aug 2022 - Star Wars Pro & Premium (original art package)
    Aug 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Sep 2022 - Star Wars the pin (original & comic art)
    Nov 2022 - JP the pin
    Nov 2022 - Elvira Premium
    Dec 2022 - TMNT Pro & Premium

With the delays they had with the end of the last Godzilla run it really makes me wonder if the May one, and possibly the July one are going to be impacted. Not sure where they source their parts from but with the lockdowns happening in China it seems like more delays could be coming.

#1952 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

I guess that is a concern if you are an operator looking to route a machine.

Inability to get spare/replacement parts seem to be the bigger concern of operators.

#1977 1 year ago
    Quoted from qbass187:

What does “NEW STERN CORNERSTONE” mean? Is that a new unannounced title? If so, any rumors on it?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/532#post-6898524

#2003 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Seems like people are getting pins left and right...... a distro I talked to yesterday said they're getting shipments weekly now. Of course they're all spoken for with pre-orders, but they also said they've had several people say they weren't interested anymore and down the waiting list they go to offload the machines.
    I wonder how long it will actually take to get mostly caught up. All the fake orders in the system are gonna shake out before long.

I don't think there are alot of "fake" orders but there are certainly double and triple orders out there. I know one guy that has deposits/his name on the list on Godzilla at 5 distros.

#2006 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Well, that's a fake order..... or rather a bunch of fake orders.

lol.... well, not really. He will take one and I'll take the other. hahaha

#2016 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

....... Now Elton John is being worked on at JJP.

Unless it's got a royal car crash multiball while listening to the candle in the wind remake I'm out on this one.

#2036 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

You mean Merlyn Monroe mode?
    Or was that song also used for something else ?
    “Recycled/reused”

Song was recycled when Princess Diana got in the car crash. You could certainly have an OD multiball as well.

1 week later
    #2129 1 year ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

This is why they released Rush, I doubt they’ll drop two turds in a row

Playfield and other issues aside, they sure seem to be building a lot of Rush machines for it to be considered a "turd"

2 weeks later
    #2449 1 year ago

This is so awesome. I can't wait till August so Stern can announce a kick ass new title everyone wants that they can't get parts for. I hope it's Back to the Future or Jaws so I can wait till 2027 to get one for $18k.

On second thought, what are the odds that the next cornerstone is really the cornerstone from April but they just waited on the announcement, using backlog fulfillment as a cover, so they could stockpile parts and actually ship games after announcement?

I'm losing faith.

#2500 1 year ago

At this point I have to wonder when distributors will/should stop taking $1k deposits.

I get it, they want to ensure the games they order are sold but it seems they can't get near enough to fill the orders/deposits. Seems kind of dirty that they take a deposit on a game that can take up to 2 years to deliver.

Either quit taking them or at least give the option of a refund after a run is complete to those who didn't receive their game.

Even car dealers I've talked to have stopped taking deposits on special orders. Last year, they didn't charge a deposit until the car was on the manufacturing line. This year, they don't care because they can sell it for a markup so they don't take any deposit. If you don't want it when it comes in, no biggie to them, they'll sell it.

#2535 1 year ago
    Quoted from tp:

Why am I part of the problem. Bought a Deadpool premium because I owned one in the past and missed it. Set it up and decided I didn't miss it as much as I thought.
    As for posting in this thread... thought others that didn't get one might be interested in mine at msrp. If I wanted to jack the price up I'd make a forsale ad like all the other d×÷kh#$d$.
    Nothing wrong with trying to trade for other ridiculously priced pins with a highly rated and sought after pin.
    For all the downvoters go stick a dick in your mouth and chew on that for awhile. Better yet...find a better distributor.

I see your point and you may be right that someone who missed out would pay you MSRP for your new Deadpool Premium.

But considering you didn't put "MSRP", or any price for that matter, with your cash on the glass statement and you want to trade for games that all go for considerably more than a NIB MSRP DP, you kind of come across as a scalping douche bag, in the wrong thread.

#2548 1 year ago

Quoted from WildRover:

May 2022 - JP Premium
    May 2022 - Godzilla Pro & Premium
    May 2022 - Mando Pro
    June 2022 - Mando Premium
    June 2022 - Rush Pro & Premium
    July 2022 - JP Pro
    Aug 2022 - Star Wars Pro & Premium (original art package)
    Sep 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Oct 2022 - Star Wars the pin (original & comic art)
    Oct 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Nov 2022 - JP the pin

Looking at this I'm starting to like my theory that they've been stockpiling parts for a new cornerstone since March (when they decided to omit one) I hope it's a good title if that's the case.
    Otherwise, how in the world are they going to run a new game for 3 solid months. Or, is that just filler because nothing else is confirmed for that time frame?

1 month later
    #3136 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

People living hand to mouth aren't buying pinball machines anyway.

I don't know if I totally agree with that. The rocket in prices has brought people in to the hobby with riches in their eyes making some risky decisions. If things slow down or the market softens, it's gonna hurt.

1 week later
    #3204 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

July 2022 - Jurassic Park Pro
    Aug 2022 - Star Wars Pro & Premium
    Aug 2022 - Led Zeppelin Pro & Premium (final run)
    Sep 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Sep 2022 - Guardians of the Galaxy Pro (final run)
    Oct 2022 - Star Wars Home Edition (original & comic art)
    Oct 2022 - NEW STERN CORNERSTONE
    Nov 2022 - Jurassic Park Home Edition

I thought I read somewhere that Star Wars was a last call as well. I could be crazy though.

2 weeks later
    #3477 1 year ago
    Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Everything since Godzilla launch last year is IC equipped out of the box

I think there's a few machines that have been produced since then that didn't have it. I had an AIQ from early this year that didn't have it. Seems I remember a "parts shortage" there for a while that may have impacted it.

2 months later
    #3997 1 year ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Has anybody heard anything about parts delays? This was the last update of what is gonna be on the line:
    Oct 2022 - Led Zeppelin Premium
    Oct 2022 - Godzilla Premium
    Oct 2022 - TMNT Pro & Premium (final run)
    Nov 2022 - Bond Pro (for locations only)
    Nov 2022 - Star Wars Home Edition (original & comic art)
    Nov 2022 - Jurassic Park Home Edition
    Nov 2022 - Bond LE
    Dec 2022 - Bond Premium
    Dec 2022 - Bond 60th
    ??? 2023 - Elvira Premium
    Apr 2023 - Bond Pro & Premium (for non-location buyers)

Does it seem odd to anyone else that they would announce a new title (after skipping one) and then wait 6 months before they produce Pro and Premium for general sale? Are they going to skip another release because it seems like they would announce another one before this one even hits the open market.

Also, does/is Stern going to track the location games from the Nov run when they start being flipped on the secondary market for ultra premium prices? I understand wanting to get the games on location but what recourse are they going to take if the people who have the ability to get those just unload them for a quick buck? Just curious if they would do something or if it's just another hook up for the connected folks to make a quick flip buck.

#4001 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

Can this happen, sure, its almost immpossible to prevent. It has alway been location games first, and some distributor would hook a buddy up type thing and you see it for sale right away. To help prevent it, distributors now have to fill out a form for every operator, with a bunch of information. and if that operator doesnt not oeprate the game, they will not be able to get in on the first batch again

Thanks for the info, nice to see they try to get the games out on location with something more than just "words".

I still don't get why such a long delay before Premiums and Pros for the general population (or even premiums for operators, most around here put out premiums on location).

Could be dangerous having that big of a delay. If the game isn't all it's cracked up to be, plenty of time to move on from that pre order. Probably not the case but still.

3 weeks later
    #4177 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

I wonder how that works? "I didn't like it, sending it back"
    Interestingly enough. I know a guy who got a Star Wars Premium on there for $7500. Not sure if that was a mis price or what. But they honored it it. He got it in 2 weeks.

I also wonder what the 3 year protection plan would get you. Dimpled playfields, damaged scoops etc all replaced?

#4193 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

No price locks - you pay current rate when it's ready to ship

In other words BOHICA

#4198 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

So is it kinda accepted knowledge that Elvira run in Nov has been bumped to March? Anyone hearing anything reliable?

I heard they were waiting for 2 or 3 more price hikes before they did another run of that one.

#4209 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I’m very excited for this game.

I was really exited too until I saw the $10k price tag. Any excitement i had left after that has been rapidly diminishing and will continue to evaporate during the 3 months until I get to "hopefully" find one in the wild to try before I buy.

I'll probably just pick one up on the secondary market for a discount next summer..... if they're available by then.

#4222 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Makes you wonder what’s in Stern mind. If they can sell these pins at these prices all around the world no kidding they will keep increasing prices in North America.

These price increases are pretty insane. I know this is above my limit. The value, for me, just isn't there at 10k. Maybe it's a mental barrier but I want it below that number and that is after buying a shaker, side art and invisiglass at a minimum.

I know the Pro's didn't go up as much but I don't see how an operator can justify a 10k game. Maybe I'm out of it but most of the games I play on location are Premiums with some pros mixed in.

The other crazy thing is the price of the LE's (which are now "limited" to 1000). If the game is a dud, there are going to be some people taking a big hit much like they are with Toy Story 4. If Stern wants to maximize their profit and slow down the scalping you would think they would wait for a bit and see how Pro's and Premiums sell and how well the game is received before announcing/building an LE. Think of what they could have done with Godzilla LE if they had waited 2 production cycles before announcing numbers and pricing of LE's. And if the game is a slow seller, reduce the numbers or eliminate it all together.

I know, I know, all of us armchair pinsiders should be running Stern. It will be interesting to see how Bond does regardless of my thoughts.

#4234 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grimstead:

My GZ premium arrived yesterday. I ordered this past August so I was pleasantly surprised it showed up so soon. Downside is I ended up with a $500 surcharge but it kinda evens out with me getting it before the holidays.
    [quoted image]

Psssssst....... put a surge protector on that thing ASAP.

#4252 1 year ago
    Quoted from beltking:

People getting invoiced for bond pro so guess it’s on the line now.

Not bad, only 2 months after launch. Or, is this the "for operators" batch?

#4270 1 year ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Hope they have good luck unloading those - for me the "coolness" of that game went away when they started mass producing it.

I think they will sell, it's a fun game. Now, will they sell for the price they want for LE's, I don't know, but their SE's are a value, especially with the JJP and Stern cash grab.

1 week later
    #4367 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

What the heck is this crap!?
    [quoted image]

I would imagine it's Amazon's algorithm. If you track prices, they tend to go up when someone buys it and drop as the days pass with no sales. Since the pro's were sold out last I looked a few days ago, I'd say it's just high since they are now "back in stock"

I generally track stuff that I'm not in a hurry to buy. I watched tents for about 4 months. They would go from $200 MSRP down to 125 and up to 275. I'd just track it and wait.

#4413 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gubbin:

Yeah I've been watching the Amazon store. Wish I woulda snagged the DP pro back in summer. Now I'm just waiting for that next run.
    Those reseller prices are comical. I guess they sell them though with that Amazon financing !

It can be worth it if you put it on your Amazon card for no fee and get 5% back. Not a terrible deal if you have a bunch of points and plan to pay it off on the first billing cycle. $9k game, no CC fee, free shipping, get a good chunk of sales tax back in credit card rewards plus use any rewards you currently have to drive down the cost. (I'm speaking strictly for the ones from Stern, not the goofball markup place)

2 weeks later
    #4626 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

in price increase cases, there is no doubt that a deposit should be returned. We give a deposit back regardless of reason. and the one that sucks is when someone puts a deposit on the same game with every distributor and takes the first one. Then when we call them that their game is ready they inform us that they bought one from someone else and want their deposit back. We even give it back in these cases, but really, we should keep it, just morally dont like to so we dont. But kinda pointless to have deposits if they are fully refundable for any reason, just defeats the purpose of what they are for.

I can see giving them their deposit back but you should at least charge a fee. $100 - $250 something. It may not be a really big deal to your business now because you can turn around and sell it to someone else waiting but that's not always going to be the case.

Obviously I'm not talking about if someone wants a deposit back due to a price increase.

#4656 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

So based on history - if they announce the new cornerstone at Texas Pinball in March, when would the first ones be rolling off the line for delivery?

October.

#4666 1 year ago
    Quoted from SimplePin:

Not surprising. I'm not a customer but I know $5k is a pretty steep wall. Sort of a psychological barrier or cut off point. Coming in under $5k checks the box for a lot of people I suspect.

Kinda like coming in under $10k I guess.

#4673 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

If anyone cares, the Pinball gods have smiled upon me in order to prevent a potential public brawl with the distributor who had been sitting on my unrefundable Rush Premium $1000 deposit since January, for they were supplied with a few more out of the blue last week, and I was able to quickly come up with the remainder and avoid an additional wait of indeterminate duration as well as the 2023 price increase issue. And it's coming before Xmas! Ho ho ho!

Name this shameless distributor!

1 month later
    #5102 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

What is the Bond fiasco? I played it and didn’t care for it one bit but I assumed some people like it. When Bond LE was announced I wanted to get one initially until I saw it and decided to wait what with Lonny on code it was a big red flag and the LE price was a joke, received several people asking if I wanted it for msrp but no. The joke was the guys asking for a couple thousand over list.
    But what is the fiasco did it not sell well?
    At these prices it seems wise to wait before buying if you are not sure especially if Lonny is on code.

I think the fiasco they are speaking of was the fact that it was rolled out in August, a few pro's sputtered out the gate about a month later followed by LE's in Dec and the premiums didn't start shipping until after the first of the year, nearly 4 months after announcement. Oh, and they all came with the most rudimentary code Stern has released to date.

3 weeks later
    #5561 1 year ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

differing minds can disagree.

Strange, my experience with pinside has been different.

5 months later
    #7113 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mattyk:

My distributor confirmed that Venom is the biggest dud in years. They have plenty of LEs available. At the current prices, Stern has to deliver top notch themes especially if they are skimping on playfield mechs

I think it's a perfect storm. Between better availability of new games, the insane LE price increases, "flippers" getting burned on Bond LE's and Foo (to a lesser degree), the other "comic" theme game sales slowing, particularly AIQ, and the rumors of a Jaws or BTTF, people are putting a halt to the FOMO and sales are soft.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theclownpuncher.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays?tu=theclownpuncher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.