Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,174 posts
  • 859 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by bwalter
  • Topic is favorited by 532 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#387 2 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Then again, if all manufacturers are in the same boat, maybe it's no big deal.

This is it right here.

Stern would absolutely love nothing more than to be able to sell everyone their machines, including your Elvira, but the reality is that they are swamped between 3 but factors:

1. Pandemic
    2. Supply chain issues
    3. Resurgence in pinball’s popularity

But Spooky and Jersey Jack and American Pinball and some kid working on a white wood in their parents’ basement are all subject to these factors.

It’s easy and quite understandable to be frustrated. Hell, I feel you personally because every day when I look at my Elvira with the topper, shooter rod, art blades, I’m extremely thankful I got it when I did, and not one day later. I was contemplating preordering like you, because I heard about that December run too… glad I ended up nabbing a HUO. Paid less than MSRP too.

You can find these deals, because not everyone is trying to flip. You just have to be vigilant and patient. The single biggest factor in pinflation is FOMO. Full stop. But people just love blaming anything else in order to justify their addiction to politicizing uncontrollable factors.

2 months later
    #1153 2 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Nice strawman and deflection.
    I'm not flipping new games for profit. Your disingenuous shit rings real hollow

Remember, this is the same person who started the “F U Stern and your price hikes” thread, and then literally got caught flipping pins well above msrp

7 months later
    #4219 1 year ago

So last year, I was *this* close to pre-ordering an Elvira, but nabbed a used one instead. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

My wife and I were discussing the possible reasons new Elvira machines keep getting delayed, and she made a good point: Elvira seems like one of the most easy-going licensing deals Stern has, so it makes sense to pump out the other titles that have expiry dates on them first, and build a big backlog of demand before doing the next run.

1 week later
    #4305 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

They didn't even finish the code for the marquee movie on the last Stern Indy. Crystal Skull just isn't there, as Karl DeAngelo found out when he started his wizard mode quest on his recent stream. So, color me skeptical of that one.

Oh goody, the "What's on the line at Stern" thread is now another avenue for Pinmonk to trash Lonnie Ropp.

You were in Karl's streaming bitching about Lonnie
    You are up in the James Bond hype thread bitching about Lonnie
    You are in the Bond SLE thread bitching about Lonnie
    You were in Joel's podcast chat, bitching about Lonnie

71oc5k[1] (resized).jpg71oc5k[1] (resized).jpg
    #4308 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Uh, I didn't even MENTION Lonnie. Just pointed out that it's unlikely Indy 4 would be the SAM pin Zach was talking about because the movie mode it was named for wasn't even finished.
    [quoted image]
    P.S. I have a Bond coming.

If course you do. How else will you 3D print a clip to resell $3 pc fans? Mans gotta eat.

#4316 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Sure, change the subject when I call you out on accusing me of bringing up Lonnie when YOU did it to stir things up.
    You keep saying the fan thing as your fallback insult - and every time I inform you that you're wrong. The fans I sell are ordered direct from the factory with custom wire lengths and connectors. They're not off the shelf. And, AGAIN, despite your continual snarky assertion, they are *not* $3 fans, even at my cost, and with the penalty Trump put on Chinese goods they get hit with a 25% tariff penalty for the last few years. So keep talking about what you have no idea about. It's what you do, apparently.

Oh, I thought the subject was clearly "it sucks to have your work publicly trashed"

Lonnie has done some legendary machines, some not so good machines, and some fine machines. Let's give the guy a chance to get it to 1.0 before you clog every fucking pinball thread and stream chat with your Lonnie hate-boner, shall we?

1 week later
    #4445 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

He kept saying he'd have to remove stuff to have them work normally, without admitting a AUX board being added would have solved it. So Stern saved money on an Aux driver board (they've done before) to do it right and passed the shorter coil life cost to their customers, i.e. business as usual. But it probably wouldn't have been well-received if he said that out loud.

I’d rather replace a solenoid than a board *shrug*

#4465 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Dead MOSFET replacement $2
    Dead Coil replacement $20
    Literally 10x more expensive.
    Your money *shrug*.
    Also if they have one transistor driving both pops and the transistor dies, BOTH your pops are dead. In a traditional arrangement with one transistor per coil, if one dies, the other still works. So, another major downside. Redundancy is good.

OH MY GOD 18 DOLLARS ON A $9000 MACHINE HOW WILL I AFFORD TO LIVE

2 sets of tibetan breeze $260
    4 pc fans on Amazon $10
    literally 26x more expensive
    Your money *shrug*

https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Cooling-Speed-Appliances-Replacement/dp/B07ZJ47Z2J/ref=asc_df_B07ZJ47Z2J/

#4485 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Good luck with those cheap oil bearing fans. It's clear you don't know the difference in noise, reliability, or lifespan. They're not the same as the fans I have custom configured at the factory in Taiwan. At all.
    If you're gonna DIY, that's great, but do it right.

Noise? Really? 40mm fans under 2cm plywood with speakers and coils firing and you think fan noise is an issue?

You sell a product mostly for people going out of their way, looking for problems. I’d wager less than 5% of the people who buy flipper cooling fans come anywhere near games long enough to warrant them.

Like the dual-firing pops on Bond, I seriously doubt anyone would notice the difference on a four flipper game between your $260 fans and Amazon’s $10 ones. I would absolutely love to see a real-world controlled comparison of the actual demonstrable and noticeable difference between 2 of the same machine with people trying to guess which is yours and which are the $10 fans.

But the point I’m trying to get at here is this hypochondria of pinball. “Oh no, pops are tied!” Anyone who watched Deadflip’s reveal stream saw plenty of pop action. More than most, to be honest, especially for only two pops.

I’m sick of seeing you everywhere bond is being discussed, bitching about pops, bitching about code.

#4514 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jaytech10:

Too many people are biased with the new pins. Keith's gz is good but not the greatest. Get to know twilight zone and Indiana Jones the pinball adventure. TZ with the power ball, gum ball machine, the upper pf with magnetic flippers and a trap mech on the wire form ramp that perverts the ball from getting there until qualified. 2 shooter lanes. Probably forgetting a few others. Indy Jones controllable upper playfield and ball has 3 paths it can travel on the right ramp. The idol lock using the sound bits from the 3 movies is spot on. 3 video modes. JJPs potc is better than gz. But people on here bashed without even playing it. That's why people weren't buying them and production cut short.

I’d argue that many more people are biased with old pins and nostalgia.

Old games are great for shallow fun, but newer games stomp all over old ones in terms of depth. Kinda apples and oranges though. I bought a No Good Gofers with the intention of flipping it, but I fell in love with its simple theme and ruleset - sometimes it’s nice to have a simple game of pinball. I own Judge Dredd and Shaq-Attaq for the same reasons… but they just don’t hold a candle to newer games.

In terms of depth, strategy, options, and each time you start a game, it feels different, then there isn’t even a comparison between Godzilla and TZ or IJ. Code on Godzilla is absolutely sublime. Makes those old games feel extremely 1 dimensional.

I still love video games like final fight and double dragon, but I know they’re just shallow fun mixed with nostalgia. New video games simply shit all over em.

4 weeks later
    #4733 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

I thought Star Wars wasn’t that big a hit, guess I was mistaken.

It’s Star Wars.

I’m convinced Disney could film a literal pile of dog shit for 2.5 hours and the entire fan base would flock to see it.

1 month later
    #5335 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I believe toppers are independent of the pinball line.

George Gomez talked about how toppers and pins share similar parts, so he was like “do we make more pins, or make more toppers? Easy call if you ask me”. Or something to that effect.

The reason they designed them this way was to keep cost down and streamline logistics. Obviously the state of things these last few years caused that plan to bite em in the ass

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kingvidiot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays?tu=kingvidiot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.