Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,166 posts
  • 859 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by nickrivers
  • Topic is favorited by 533 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

glasses.gif
    nedry.gif
    snaps.gif
    Screenshot_20240318_201633_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_8074 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpeg
    7136153e-4781-4514-8f75-26077beb0e35-1655665323130 (resized).jpg
    designer-delays (resized).png
    image000000 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1455.gif
    Skinner (resized).png
    26CDA9FF-5625-4BC0-AECC-1FF8C139FBFB (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_5780 (resized).png
    bobbymcgeestub.png
    JT.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4075 1 year ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

I had an order for a Godzilla that would supposedly be fulfilled this month. (Paid in full.) Looks like the run is over so would anyone know whether those should have now shipped? (Or might it take a couple of weeks like my dealer told me last week?)

In the tour video above, at the 21 minute mark, they have a ton of Godzilla buildings getting ready (but I didn't see any GZ cabinets).

#4077 1 year ago
    Quoted from rennervision:

I had an order for a Godzilla that would supposedly be fulfilled this month. (Paid in full.) Looks like the run is over so would anyone know whether those should have now shipped? (Or might it take a couple of weeks like my dealer told me last week?)

I just heard that more Godzilla Premiums are (most likely) coming in November (originally scheduled for October). They ran out of some parts and had to switch to another title but will be making more as soon as they get more parts in. I'm guessing the number of GZ playfield buildings in that factory tour video is how many they will be making.

1 week later
    #4163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I don't understand the price increases really... the only newer game I could get close to what I paid for (and not take a huge loss) is Godzilla... so why would I want to pay more now and take a even bigger loss? And like most here, I have the money to buy what I want, but I'm not reckless and/or a sucker
    I used to have a "price to pay to have it at home" mentality as it was reasonable, but now it's a huge kick in the nuts to the tune of thousands. I think the newer guys are the ones buying the NIB at the high prices and the guys like me that have been in the hobby for 20 years are playing on location and buying used and letting the NIB buyer take the hit.

Everyone has to decide what it is worth to them to own whatever pinball machine they are interested in. To most non-Pinside people, paying even $5k for a pinball machine is completely bonkers. Most leisure/entertainment purchases lose significant value over time (not counting low-volume collectables like fine art or extremely rare cars). The question to you is why are you buying a pinball machine at all?

Like many have already said, a saturation point is coming (or may be here already) where there are a lot of expensive games out there and not enough new buyers so the hobby is going to slow down somehow. The prices on the secondary market are going to come down because there just aren't enough buyers for $10k games to sustain it. So are you OK with buying a game at $10k (or whatever) and selling it a few years later for a couple thousand less? Is the entertainment/fun/convenience value worth it for you? I think if you are viewing these games as mostly financial investments, you are going to be disappointed going forward.

#4195 1 year ago
    Quoted from beltking:

I’m hearing bond le on line in a week.

Why did you say LEs in December in another thread?

1 week later
    #4294 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dwboca:

My .35$ is that its avatar. It'll sell around the movie

Indiana Jones 5 comes out in June 2023. Any chance they could remake that? Neither Avatar nor Stern IJ are top 100 games so we can't make a conclusion based on either being a top-rated game.

#4326 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

So I'm guessing Stern considering Bond 60th as a cornerstone since it's being produced normally when a cornerstone would be?

It's only 500 machines. They should be able to do that in a week, assuming they have all the parts.

#4339 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

There's too many teams to move that slow - Gomez, Eddie, Elwin, Borg & Kapow.
    Up until this year, Elwin's team had been churning out 1 per year by themselves.

Gomez is a VP. He only stepped in on Bond to take over for the departing Ritchie. He's not in the rotation normally. Also, Kapow is not every year, and a game can take more than a year to develop. Based on the lack of software shipping with games now, they should be spending more than a year on each one.

1 week later
    #4379 1 year ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

nobody wanted the original, they sure don't want a vault

The early reviews of STh were not good. By the time the code was mature and people were saying it was good, it was out of production. I'd like to get a premium but the prices went up 50%+ in 2 years which is nuts. If they are selling on the secondary market for around $12k, then Stern could certainly sell more at the current NIB premium price.

#4382 1 year ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

But all of these prems sell for more than MSRP:
    Batman66
    GotG Prem
    EHoH Prem
    IMDN Prem
    Munsters Prem
    and sometimes GZ Prem if it's out of rotation for a while
    STh prem is a difficult build at the factory, has a hard to source component (projector) and is 2 seasons out of date. It's highly unlikely we'll see them again.

Yep, all true. I'm just saying that there is demand for STh and Stern could update the video/audio/code with new content from the recent seasons and still save time and money on the development of a new game. It's a long shot, but it's what some of us would like to see.

#4393 1 year ago

Bond LEs are on the line. Gomez streaming now:

2 weeks later
    #4652 1 year ago

JackG posted this several pages ago:

Dec 2022 - Bond LE
    Dec 2022 - TMNT Pros & Premium (finish earlier run)
    Dec 2022 - LZ Premium (finish earlier run)

Jan 2023 - Bond Premium
    Jan 2023 - Bond 60th
    Jan 2023 - Bond Pro (home buyers)
    Feb 2023 - Bond Premium
    Feb 2023 - Elvira Premium
    Feb 2023 - Godzilla Premium
    Mar 2023 - New Cornerstone Reveal?????

1 month later
    #4785 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rnlo:

Anyone with knowledge on what’s currently in production?

They just finished inventory this past week so nothing has been shipped so far in January. I know because I was waiting on a part and I keep asking them where it is.

1 week later
    #4817 1 year ago
    Quoted from dboeren:

I'm just hoping they do another run of Stranger Things Premium as Gomez hinted at - preferably with an updated TK lock mechanism and the UV playfield pre-installed. Also I'm not sure when such a thing might be able to fit into the production schedule if it DID happen.

Next year (2024) would probably make sense since they will have a larger factory and the final season of Stranger Things will be released.

I do think something else (in addition to 2 cornerstones) is going to be released by Stern in 2023, either a vault or a boutique game. I hope somebody asks Gomez directly so we can see what he says.

#4819 1 year ago
    Quoted from unclerudy:

What are the thoughts on what the cornerstones are going to be?

Pick two of the following: Venom, Sonic, He-man/MOTU, Foo Fighters, Jaws.

#4937 1 year ago
    Quoted from Capn12:

I'm not 'hoping' anything. I'm just a realist, who knows if a feature was paid (and high priced) for by Stern, there is no chance in hell that it isn't going to be made known from the start.

Agreed. This whole issue was discussed ad nauseum in the Bond 60th hype thread (and probably still is).

#5048 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It is great Stern has moved into their new location and are up and running with 50% more capacity. I wonder why Stern didn’t use the old location for few overlapping years.

New lease starts October 2023. Also, you can't just double your staff whenever you want.

1 week later
    #5180 1 year ago
    Quoted from sdchoni:

Thank you all for the advice! hopefully I am not derailing this thread by going into more detail lol.
    I live in Nashville, so obviously I looked up the closest distributor near me first and saw they actually have a Godzilla premium in stock, but for $11,000:
    https://www.musiccitypinball.net/shop/p/godzilla-premium
    I asked around at a local pinball bar and they suggested buying from Flip N Out. Not only is it cheaper ($9,699) but there is free shipping. I also assumed it would be shipping 'soon' with the 'ESTIMATED DELIVERY END OF 2022 INTO 2023' listed on the page, but tbh I'm not in a rush especially if I can save some money waiting.
    If I buy from another distributor would it be at the same price? Do other distributors normally have free shipping?
    Super unrelated question, but neither of these distributors charge sales tax, is that normal?

MSRP for premiums is $9,699 so you should be able to get it from any dealer for that or less (ask around). They often have free shipping (usually direct from Stern if they don't already have it in stock). If you are in a different state, they usually don't collect sales tax. Many charge a credit card fee (3% or 4%, or you can mail them a check for no extra fee) but some don't.

In case it's not obvious, you can order from any dealer in the US. They are all usually shipping from either Stern or from the dealer so there is no advantage to buying local unless they already have it in stock.

#5248 1 year ago

You are not going to see a new game or topper in a factory video before they actually announce the product (unless it is by mistake).

#5295 1 year ago
    Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

you're coo coo bananas if you read that as 'the game doesn't include film assets'. 'the screen where you learn assignments' literally doesn't specify anything. it could mean anything and everything, by design. it's called marketing. 'learn assignments' has about as much meaning as 'survive tactical precision shots against drop targets'
    your blind rage at the price may be impacting your judgement. the most expensive game and license Stern has ever been associated with won't include movie assets? consider how ridiculous that is on the face of itself

Have people accepted that there is no video in the Bond 60th anniversary game?

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png10 (resized).png10 (resized).png11 (resized).png11 (resized).png12 (resized).png12 (resized).png3 (resized).png3 (resized).png4 (resized).png4 (resized).png
    #5380 1 year ago
    Quoted from math08:

Just had a long knock down drag out call with the dealer. At first I spoke to the owners son who said "well, I don't know why the owner told you February. Its up to Stern and we are now told May-June, but if you want you money back, no problem, we have others that will take you place." He then puts on the owner who says that the Factory has my money, and he will keep 10% because I am cancelling prior to the first week of April, which is when we have a written agreement that I would get a full refund if they don't deliver. I say, but you son just told me my delivery would not be until May June. Clearly this is after April, and he also said you have other buyers who would take my place so not problem. Owner says, "I am the owner, he is not, and he is wrong. Then he goes on to say "you are just too much trouble. I will give you a full refund." The then hangs up. Wow, what drama.

There are over 50 dealers in the US. You can order from any of them. I think you can cross that one off your list.

#5416 1 year ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Is there really more demand for these...
    July 2023 - AIQ Pro & Premium
    Aug 2023 - Star Wars Pro & Premium
    Nov 2023 - Mandalorian Pro & Premium
    Maybe there’s a bunch of people waiting on these games but it just seems odd that Stern would make these instead of other things that have large back orders. (GZ DP JP EHOH) or run some STH.

Those are probably pretty small runs. It's not like that's all they are going to make in those months. Also, by November they are going to be in the new (larger) factory.

3 weeks later
    #5666 1 year ago
    Quoted from ASAC_Schrader:

I wish Stern would stop shooting themselves in the foot by releasing games with early unfished code. It kills sales of the game. Same happened with Stranger Things. Then once they get it good they stop making the game. Such a weird business model.

Yes, I'd like to know what the thinking/reason is behind this. If the games have a reputation of "the code sucks," then they are obviously not going to sell as many.

1 week later
    #5750 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Vanessa Yannish out of Iowa.
    Lied to me about shipping (told me there was NO OPTION for curbside)
    The game had clearcoat issues, she could not obtain a replacement.
    I offered to pay for a playfield out of pocket, waited six months, (poor communication/ would not return calls)
    She refused to send a picture of the replacement playfield before I would send her the money.
    Still unresolved
    Lesson learned...
    Super disappointed in Stern as well, canceled two orders because of the situation.

The dealer/company name to avoid is Operation Pinball.

1 month later
    #6062 11 months ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Only 2 cornerstones this year also. If they catch up with backlog, they go back to 3 in 2024.

"Cornerstones" is the key word.

Anybody have details on an upcoming Kapow collaboration?

3 weeks later
    #6425 10 months ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Does anyone know if Stern have moved into their new premises yet?

Their lease starts in October.

#6429 10 months ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Wait, you have inventory? Do tell....or PM.
    I'm the buy on a whim kind of guy. I don't do well waiting for things once I decide to pull the trigger, which is why I never preorder.

They post it on FB:
    https://www.facebook.com/tiltamusement/posts/pfbid02SZ97USxgkSGa3JJkBDTpUBZJRgXLnT7Vux1b6TCTXraZuQpXzcW1vRu52WVH8cWgl

#6526 10 months ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Stern moves to the new factory in August, so that will cause a shutdown for a couple weeks.

Their lease starts in October.

2 weeks later
    #6685 10 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

Also I don't think STh would sit at dealers too long with the final season coming in 2024.

Assuming the writers' strike ends soon. All filming (TV and movies) has come to a halt.

But yes, a new run of Stranger Things would sell well. It's the most watched series on Netflix and the game supposedly does very well on location. Also, I want one.

2 weeks later
    #6866 9 months ago
    Quoted from beltking:

they seem to be making wayyyy too many Godzillas. A year or so ago they went quick on the used market now they are sitting and hard to resell.

The ones not selling are obviously overpriced. Someone has a used GZ premium with no mods listed for $11k!

Why pay over/at MSRP for a used game when you can get a new one shipped to you?

1 week later
    #6942 9 months ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Pretty sure it will be an Indy vault in November according to the rumors on Pinside.

I think the rumor is a new game based on Raiders of the Lost Ark (probably in 2024). Why would they bring back a DMD game that wasn't even well liked? There are a lot of other DMD games that people are asking for. It seems unlikely that they would re-release *any* DMD game when they've been on a new game platform for 6+ years now.

In any case, I do think something else is going to be announced by Stern this year.

3 weeks later
    #7064 8 months ago
    Quoted from JackG:

Bond will most likely be pushed unless code reaches 1.0. But Bond is supposed to be a small run.

Bond code should reach 1.0 by mid-November if they stay on schedule with the updates.

2 weeks later
    #7110 8 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Looks like we are getting a new Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary LE dropping tomorrow. 500 units at $12,999.

Some on the Stern store today:
    https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/all-access-jurassic-park-30th-anniversary-pinball

#7112 8 months ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Look at the timer....tomorrow.

You are correct. I was reading 23 minutes, not hours.

3 weeks later
    #7277 7 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

If you want that level of QC it's gonna cost you. I think most of us would rather deal with the occasional issues instead of jacked up prices that would certainly accompany such standards.

The prices aren't already jacked up?

Quoted from underlord:

There is no labor. No one wants to work last few years. If you throw double wages they’ll just hold out for triple, etc.

nobody wants to work anymore 2 (resized).jpgnobody wants to work anymore 2 (resized).jpg
    #7332 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

Didnt beltking throw some cold water on a stranger things release this year? His distro source has seemed fairly accurate

He posted a week ago (in next Stern thread):
    "I’m 99% sure they are doing more stranger premiums but with new art this time. Gonna be a while yet prob a year at least."

#7374 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

It makes way more sense to build in a little buffer to a late, holiday season schedule, than it does release some big surprise that would eat right into your current cornerstone sales

You could say that about any new game announcement. Stern used to do 3+ games per year and probably will again with the new factory.

Venom was announced in July. I'm in the camp that thinks something else is coming in November. I just don't think they are going to go 6 months (or more) before announcing another game (vault or otherwise, and JP 30th doesn't count). Plus, Venom seems like such a niche theme to me. I just don't think it's going to be a big seller.

1 month later
    #7511 6 months ago
    Quoted from qbass187:

On the other hand, anyone who bought a STh at the crazy street level prices the last few years have a right to be pissed when Stern said multiple times they weren't going to rerun it and then did. I even spoke with my distro a few days before the announcement when all the rumors were flying and he said he had been told that the license expired and they werent planning to make any more... so that's what they were telling people up until the reveal.

When the Executive Vice President of the company says (about STh), "The good news is, you're probably going to see them again from us. I don't know when, but I think that we might make some more." people should probably believe him. That was in March.
    https://www.knapparcade.org/post/stern-pinball-confirms-that-another-run-of-stranger-things-pinball-will-happen

4 weeks later
    1 week later
    #7678 4 months ago
    Quoted from Ampsquare:

Do we need to wait till Friday to find out that Stranger Things premium still isn’t on the line this week, or does someone have an inside scoop?

This is direct from Stern:

"The first week in December we will begin Stranger Things Premium."

#7685 4 months ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Where does this come from? Through a distributor or does Stern have an email list I’m not on? Also curious where that monthly production schedule comes from. Does someone generate that from quotes or does Stern release it?

It was a response to a dealer inquiry. I believe the monthly production schedule comes from calls that Stern has with the dealers on a regular basis. Some of the podcasts (Flip N Out) go over the production schedule after they get it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grantman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-on-the-line-at-stern-pinball-delays?tu=grantman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.